Mary Gauthier Documentary

Here you can discuss any other artist including Sunny Jim, Todd Snider, Jerry Jeff Walker, Steve Goodman, James Taylor, Alan Jackson, Bob Marley, Kenny Chesney and others

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Mary Gauthier Documentary

Post by Tiki Torches »

This is the trailer for Before You Leave, a new documentary about Mary Gauthier's search for her birth parents.

Singer songwriter, Mary Gauthier, searches for the truth about her adoption after realizing that her deepest wounds stem from abandonment. In her own words and through her music, she shares personal thoughts about her life, her adoption and how she overcame drug and alcohol addiction. "Mercy Now", "I Drink", "Goodbye" and other Gauthier songs are highlighted in this documentary that tells the stories behind her songs as she reveals how she overcame adversity and finally discovered how to love.

Before You Leave
Produced by Jack Ballo
http://www.UltravisionFilms.com

The Lost Manatee
I Love the Now!
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: Mary Gauthier Documentary

Post by The Lost Manatee »

Not only is Mary a terrific songwriter, she's a really sweet soul. I would encourage you to see her perform live whenever you get a chance.
Captain Jack's Bar & Grill, Home to the Lost Manatee.

Livin' and dyin' in 3/4 time.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

The Lost Manatee wrote:Not only is Mary a terrific songwriter, she's a really sweet soul. I would encourage you to see her perform live whenever you get a chance.
I first saw her when she opened for Guy Clark at the Cat's Cradle in Carrboro, NC back in the early 00s. I've since seen her nearly every time she's returned to the Triangle area of NC, including last night when she and Tania Elizabeth (formerly of the Duhks) performed at the Pour House in Raleigh. Unfortunately, the crowd wasn't as huge as the last time she performed in the area (the Berkeley Cafe, also in Raleigh) in 2010 but we were a very appreciative crowd, despite being small in number. It was a great show with many highlights, including Tania bringing down the house with her fiddle playing during "Wheel Inside the Wheel". By the way, Mary gave Buffett a shoutout prior to the song and thanked him for covering it because now she's driving a new car thanks to the royalties. I'm not sure why she and some of the other songwriters Buffett has covered (and worked with) aren't more popular here. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I've never really been too fond of the trop rock artists that are so popular among much of the Buffett fanbase but I absolutely love songwriters such as Mary, Guy Clark, Jesse Winchester, Steve Goodman, Bruce Cockburn, John Prine, Jerry Jeff Walker, etc. There used to be a time when Buffett had a knack for making other people's songs his own but I just don't hear it with some of his latter stuff like "Wheel Inside the Wheel", "Cinco de Mayo In Memphis", "Boats To Build" and "Elvis Presley Blues". All great song choices and good performances (especially Sonny Landreth's slide work on "Wheel") but I prefer the originals to Buffett's renditions.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Mary Gauthier and Tania Elizabeth perform "Camelot Motel", "Cigarette Machine", "Between the Daylight and the Dark" and "Goodbye." Recorded live at Folk Alliance International Conference in Memphis, TN on February 24, 2012.