Blackberry Smoke

Here you can discuss any other artist including Sunny Jim, Todd Snider, Jerry Jeff Walker, Steve Goodman, James Taylor, Alan Jackson, Bob Marley, Kenny Chesney and others

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

ragtopW
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: Blackberry Smoke

Post by ragtopW »

:D :D Playing in SLC Saturday!!!!!

BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Post by BottleofRum »

Funny, I almost never come to the "Related Artist" section but I mis-clicked and was here long enough to see this thread. I have never heard of this Blackberry smoke band until I saw a poster on the wall of my local Starbucks promoting them for an up-coming show in Northampton, MA. Then I just saw this thread. So they will be in Northampton in a week or so playing in a small club named Pearl Street Nightclub for those of you who are in that area. I'm not going.

FWIW the only reason I remember the name of the band was I thought the poster was an ad to rid the world of Blackberry phones forever :lol:
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Rut-roh! Disaster narrowly averted, you came this close to getting turned on to some new music.

BottleofRum

Post by BottleofRum »

And we can't have that happen now can we....?
Last edited by BottleofRum on September 1, 2014 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

BottleofRum wrote:And we can't have that happen....

Plus based on what I read about them on page 1 I can hear better sounds listening to the static on the low part of an AM radio dial.
If they don't trip you're trigger, you might wanna try these fellers.

BottleofRum

Post by BottleofRum »

I dig new music and see new bands often I'm just not into southern or trop rock at all. Just not my thing.

There are two other bigger music clubs a block away managed by the same promoter that are empty that night so the promoter can't be expecting a big crowd for them. The place they are play has a capacity of maybe 40 people. The Spin Doctors played at the same place last month, yea them!

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Even though the Truckers did an album called Southern Rock Opera, I wouldn't necessarily call them "Southern Rock", at least not in the same sense as Skynyrd, Blackfoot, Marshall Tucker, .38 Special, Charlie Daniels, etc. as there's something very different happening there. It was a one-off conceptual record based loosely on the Skynyrd tragedy, the mythology surrounding them and what it was like to grow up in the South in the 70's but it's not what defines them as a whole. Much of what they do is much broader than that and is informed largely by their upbringing in the Muscle Shoals region of Alabama, where they were influenced by a myriad of styles from R & B to Soul. I'm with you on the Trop Rock though. It simply doesn't appeal to me.

I have a bit of a soft spot for the Spin Doctors because of their Pocketful of Kryptonite album but after having seen them put on what I consider one of the most horrendous live performances I've ever been witness to on the HORDE tour in the mid-90's, I wouldn't walk across the street to see them today, even if it was free. Perhaps they've improved since then.