Guy Clark Free Listen: My Favorite Picture of you

Here you can discuss any other artist including Sunny Jim, Todd Snider, Jerry Jeff Walker, Steve Goodman, James Taylor, Alan Jackson, Bob Marley, Kenny Chesney and others

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

conched
Last Man Standing

Re: Guy Clark Free Listen: My Favorite Picture of you

Post by conched »

I also saw Guy at the Old Settlers Bluegrass Festival in Round Rock in 1999. The best part of that weekend was seeing this songwriting session.

(thanks Danny Santos for having this photo.)
http://www.dannysantosmusic.com/photos.htm

One song I remember Guy and Verlon do was She Ain't Goin Nowhere

Slaid did the longest song he's ever written "Breakfast in Hell"

Fred did "Wilder Than Her" :)

Those songs became some of my favorites.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

I rarely put much emphasis on record sales or chart positions but in the day and age we currently live in that sort of thing is very good to see, especially for an artist like Guy Clark who's been bustin' his ass at this all of his life. From All Eyes Media:
Upon its July 23rd release, My Favorite Picture Of You sold more in its first week (5593 units) than any album in Clark’s celebrated career. The album debuted at #62 on the Billboard Top 200 chart, #12 on the Country chart (both highest-ever debuts for Clark), #19 on the Indie Chart and #5 on the Folk Chart.
To read the entire article, click here.

sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

I like some of Guy Clark's stuff but this one seems just a little too laid back for me.
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"

a1aara
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 75

Post by a1aara »

sonofabeach wrote:I like some of Guy Clark's stuff but this one seems just a little too laid back for me.

What's wrong with "laid back"?

sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

a1aara wrote:
sonofabeach wrote:I like some of Guy Clark's stuff but this one seems just a little too laid back for me.

What's wrong with "laid back"?
Nothin'. I'm all about laid back but I like upbeat stuff and percussion every now and then too.
I like El Coyote the best of the bunch.
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Portrait of Rodney Crowell by Guy Clark. By the way, Rodney is celebrating his 63rd birthday today.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Here's a new interview with Guy from The Huffington Post. It may be worth noting that there's a very brief mention of Buffett but when I say "very brief", that's exactly what I mean.

East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Tonight I Just Need My Guitar *and* Southern Cross
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by East Texas Parrothead »

Tiki Torches wrote:Here's a new interview with Guy from The Huffington Post. It may be worth noting that there's a very brief mention of Buffett but when I say "very brief", that's exactly what I mean.
Says a lot ... "He's kinda drifted away."

Great interview! Hoping Guy feels stronger every day and can get out for some dates soon.
Gentilly ... 42 years is a long time to wait .... a Northeast Texas woman can hope.
My love is an anchor tied to you, tied with a silver chain.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

East Texas Parrothead wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:Here's a new interview with Guy from The Huffington Post. It may be worth noting that there's a very brief mention of Buffett but when I say "very brief", that's exactly what I mean.
Says a lot ... "He's kinda drifted away."

Great interview! Hoping Guy feels stronger every day and can get out for some dates soon.
Yeah, I'm not sure how he meant that quote. I can only guess that they crossed paths back in the 70's when they ran in many of the same circles but are no longer in contact. I admire Buffett for covering "Boats To Build" and "Cinco De Mayo In Memphis" but they don't hold a candle to the original versions by Guy. They also show how Buffett has lost his ability to make other people's songs his own which is a huge part of why I've always loved his early covers of stuff like "Biloxi" and "The Ballad of Spider John".

I feel very fortunate that Guy is going to be playing here in October. To the best of my knowledge, that's the only show he currently has booked. I let the on sale date (July 16) slip up on me but I still managed to snag a pretty decent seat. The show is now sold out.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Just a heads up for those that were planning to see Guy in Durham in October, the show has been cancelled.
We regret to report that Guy Clark has cancelled his appearance at Duke Performances in R.J. Reynolds Theater on Friday, October 11.

Mr. Clark is ill and unable to perform; unfortunately, we will not be rescheduling his performance. In addition, we were not able to procure an appropriate replacement, so we are canceling the Friday, October 11 presentation altogether.

To request a refund or to exchange your tickets to another Duke Performances event, please contact the Duke University Box Office by Tuesday, October 1. If you purchased these tickets using a credit card and wish to receive a refund, please have your card ready when calling; in order to best maintain online financial security, the Duke University Box Office does not store credit card information. If you have any questions, please contact the Duke University Box Office at 919-684-4444 weekdays 11am-6pm.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this cancellation causes; the circumstances, in this case, were entirely beyond our control. We do hope you will join us for other presentations on Duke Performances 2013/2014 season.

phjrsaunt
Social Buffettfly
Social Buffettfly
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 21
Favorite Boat Drink: coconut rum and...anything!

Post by phjrsaunt »

Tiki Torches wrote:Just a heads up for those that were planning to see Guy in Durham in October, the show has been cancelled.
We regret to report that Guy Clark has cancelled his appearance at Duke Performances in R.J. Reynolds Theater on Friday, October 11.

Mr. Clark is ill and unable to perform; unfortunately, we will not be rescheduling his performance. In addition, we were not able to procure an appropriate replacement, so we are canceling the Friday, October 11 presentation altogether.

To request a refund or to exchange your tickets to another Duke Performances event, please contact the Duke University Box Office by Tuesday, October 1. If you purchased these tickets using a credit card and wish to receive a refund, please have your card ready when calling; in order to best maintain online financial security, the Duke University Box Office does not store credit card information. If you have any questions, please contact the Duke University Box Office at 919-684-4444 weekdays 11am-6pm.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this cancellation causes; the circumstances, in this case, were entirely beyond our control. We do hope you will join us for other presentations on Duke Performances 2013/2014 season.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

My love is staying an anchor tied to you with that silver chain.

East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

Sad for ya'll, but it's not a surprise. He has addressed health issues in the publicity for the new record. Sending him some east Texas piney woods phin power. Love me some Guy.
Gentilly ... 42 years is a long time to wait .... a Northeast Texas woman can hope.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

East Texas Parrothead wrote:Sad for ya'll, but it's not a surprise. He has addressed health issues in the publicity for the new record. Sending him some east Texas piney woods phin power. Love me some Guy.
Yep, I've been reading all the interviews he's done in conjunction with the new record and figured his health problems had everything to do with why Durham was the only date he had on his tour schedule. Like everyone else, I hope he's able to heal up and get back on his feet.

Bucarader
If we weren't all crazy ...
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 18

Post by Bucarader »

I just got the album yesterday. I'm on my second listen. It is laid back, but considering all Guy has been through recently, I think it is a damn good album.

Take care Guy!
Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it.

phjrsaunt
Social Buffettfly
Social Buffettfly

Post by phjrsaunt »

Robert Earle Keen will be presenting the "Poet's Award" to Guy Clark at the Academy of Country

http://www.acmcountry.com/news.html?n_id=551

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

phjrsaunt wrote:Robert Earle Keen will be presenting the "Poet's Award" to Guy Clark at the Academy of Country

http://www.acmcountry.com/news.html?n_id=551
Thanks for that. I also see they're awarding Hank Williams, Sr. the same honor. Better late than never.

More good news as this was posted on Guy's Facebook page yesterday:
Thanks to everyone for sending the sweet well-wishes to Guy. He had some surgery yesterday and is on the mend! Keep the good thoughts flowing! You all are the best.

East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

It's a good thing whenever Guy is recognized for his contributions. Yay!

phjrsaunt
Social Buffettfly
Social Buffettfly

Post by phjrsaunt »

Was the ACM televised anywhere last night? I wanted to watch, but then (good news/bad news depending on how you look at it) ended up under the influence of a muscle relaxer and was down for the count by 8 pm. I tried looking for a link on Youtube, but couldn't find one either b/c there isn't one, or it's too early, or I'm not good at looking for that sort of thing.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

phjrsaunt wrote:Was the ACM televised anywhere last night? I wanted to watch, but then (good news/bad news depending on how you look at it) ended up under the influence of a muscle relaxer and was down for the count by 8 pm. I tried looking for a link on Youtube, but couldn't find one either b/c there isn't one, or it's too early, or I'm not good at looking for that sort of thing.
If I understand this article correctly, the Poet's Award is given out off camera. Given Guy Clark's recent health issues it's also possible that he might not have been in attendance. If so, I'm sure some photos will surface shortly.

jbfinscj
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Floridays, Tin Cup Chalice, Prince of Tides, Tides, Earles Dead
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Coconut Rum

Post by jbfinscj »

Tiki Torches wrote:
phjrsaunt wrote:Was the ACM televised anywhere last night? I wanted to watch, but then (good news/bad news depending on how you look at it) ended up under the influence of a muscle relaxer and was down for the count by 8 pm. I tried looking for a link on Youtube, but couldn't find one either b/c there isn't one, or it's too early, or I'm not good at looking for that sort of thing.
If I understand this article correctly, the Poet's Award is given out off camera. Given Guy Clark's recent health issues it's also possible that he might not have been in attendance. If so, I'm sure some photos will surface shortly.
There's pictures on guy's Facebook page. He was in attendance
I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays