Gary Allan Calls Out Carrie Underwood and Taylor Swift

Here you can discuss any other artist including Sunny Jim, Todd Snider, Jerry Jeff Walker, Steve Goodman, James Taylor, Alan Jackson, Bob Marley, Kenny Chesney and others

Moderator: SMLCHNG

a1aara
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 75

Gary Allan Calls Out Carrie Underwood and Taylor Swift

Post by a1aara »

Gary Allan Calls Out Carrie Underwood and Taylor Swift as Not Country

September 13, 2013 - By Trigger

The parade of country artists coming out to criticize the direction of country music continues, with Gary Allan now coming out in an interview with Larry King, decrying country music’s move towards pop, and specifically Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood.

“Is Taylor Swift country? Is Carrie Underwood country?” Larry King asks.

“You know, I would say no. I would say they’re pop artists making a living in the country genre. I also feel like we lost our genre. I don’t feel like I make music for a genre anymore, and I did, you know, 15 years ago. But I think since the Clear Channel’s and the Cumulus’s and the big companies bought up all the chains, now it’s about a demographic. You know, so they’ve kind of sliced everything up, feeding it to the public in demographics.”

“It’s an amalgam then?” King asks.

“Exactly. Like if you want to get to the young kids, you put it on the alternative station. We’ve sort of ended up in this…we’re nicknamed the soccer mom, like 35 to 45 year-old woman I think is what our demographic is. So it’s very different. You used to be able to turn on the radio and you knew instantly it was the country station just by listening to it, and now you’ve got to leave it there for a second to figure it out.”

Larry King then asks, “Do you like it or don’t like it?”

“You know I personally don’t like it because I loved the character of country music and I loved what it is and the lifestyle of it…. To me, country music is still Monday through Friday, and pop’s about what happens on the weekends.”

Gary Allan joins a chorus that includes Alan Jackson, Kacey Musgraves multiple times, and other prominent country stars from the past and present coming out against the direction of country. Though the pop vs. country fight has been happening since the very beginning of the country genre, pop and rap’s recent dominance of the country format brought on by the monopolization of radio that Gary Allan references above, and Billboard’s recent decision to change its chart structure to boost “crossover” songs has tipped the scales to where influences outside of country music dominate the sound of the genre like never before.

Gary Allan is a platinum-selling country artist singed to MCA Nashville, who’s released 9 studio albums and 26 charting singles. His most recent album Set You Free was released in January

http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/gary- ... ot-country
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Re: Gary Allan Calls Out Carrie Underwood and Taylor Swift

Post by Tiki Torches »

a1aara wrote:Though the pop vs. country fight has been happening since the very beginning of the country genre, pop and rap’s recent dominance of the country format brought on by the monopolization of radio that Gary Allan references above, and Billboard’s recent decision to change its chart structure to boost “crossover” songs has tipped the scales to where influences outside of country music dominate the sound of the genre like never before.
I think that pretty much says it all right there.

For the most part, I quit paying attention to the charts long ago. And, if I want to hear the type of country music I like (which includes Kacey Musgraves), I know where to find it (which isn't on terrestrial radio, unfortunately). That said, it is sad that artists like Kacey have become the exception rather than the rule when it comes to what's popular on country radio these days. She's the real deal, or at least that's the initial impression she's made on me.

On the Kacey tip, here's a clip a friend sent me the other day of her performing an as yet unreleased song on the Grand Ol' Opry this past Spring.

sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

People get so hung up on genres. Who cares?
I'm glad that Jimmy does not.
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"
springparrot
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: what time of day is it????
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Mudslide, Strawberry Margarita

Post by springparrot »

sonofabeach wrote:People get so hung up on genres. Who cares?
I soooooo agree!
SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Post by SMLCHNG »

springparrot wrote:
I soooooo agree!
:) Me too. I like what I like. No 'labels'.
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Like it or not, genres, or categorizing music in general is a necessary evil. We need some way to describe music to other people so there is always going to be a need to categorize music by genre, especially when you're dealing with radio airplay, which is what Gary Allan gets into with this interview with Larry King. When Buffett markets a record he also has to take it into consideration even though he may pride himself on being genre defying. With this new album, as well several previous ones, he's marketed himself almost primarily at the country music market. That's not to say he might not cherry pick some other tracks from this record for other formats. In this particular case, Gary Allan is right on the money in how demographics play a very vital role in how music is marketed. The quote I pulled from the article gets right down to the nitty gritty as to why such a homogenized version of country is so predominant on the charts these days.
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

SMLCHNG wrote:
springparrot wrote:
I soooooo agree!
I'm just confused how this is "Related Artists" to Jimmy. :-? [smilie=noeyedear-shrugging.gif]
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

lime rickie wrote:
SMLCHNG wrote:
springparrot wrote:
I soooooo agree!
I'm just confused how this is "Related Artists" to Jimmy. :-? [smilie=noeyedear-shrugging.gif]
Seeing how there is no "Music" subforum on this board, "Related Artists" is about as close as it gets. If you'd like to have the topic moved to another forum on the board, I would suggest contacting a Moderator. I would imagine a1aara would have no problem with that. In the meantime, I'd like to suggest that a Music subforum be created for this board for topics such as this.
Last edited by Tiki Torches on September 13, 2013 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk

Post by lime rickie »

Did a house fall on your sister?

I never said I wanted it moved. I just wondered how it relates to Jimmy.

There is an off topic forum...I think that is where the recent One Direction thread went.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

lime rickie wrote:Did a house fall on your sister?

I never said I wanted it moved. I just wondered how it relates to Jimmy.

There is an off topic forum...I think that is where the recent One Direction thread went.
I'm not sure what you asked would have to do with a house falling on anyone. Nor did I say that you wanted it moved. I merely made the suggestion. I also answered you in regards to why I thought this thread was posted under "Related Artists Discussion". To me, it makes more sense to post it here, which is more directly related to music than the Off Topic forum. If you go through this section of the board you will find several threads that aren't about artists that are related to Buffett. If it's something that bothers you that much (which, evidently it does or you wouldn't have said anything), I would suggest taking it with the Admin of this board.
Last edited by Tiki Torches on September 13, 2013 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sonofabeach

Post by sonofabeach »

That "Trailer Song" above is exactly the kind of song that you knock in the "Sad Day in Country Music" thread. Not that there's anything wrong with that, though. I like those fun songs with the stereotypical country talking points.
I can see Carrie Underwood or the Miranda Lambert singing it.
Last edited by sonofabeach on September 13, 2013 10:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk

Post by lime rickie »

I never said anything about moving it and I wasn't looking to do a gap analysis. I just wondered how it relates to Jimmy.

Why do you even care that I asked? It's not your thread, is it? Unless...dunh, dunh, dunh...YOU'RE a1aara. :o

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

sonofabeach wrote:That "Trailer Song" above is exactly the kind of song that you knock in the "Sad Day in Country Music" thread. Not that there's anything wrong with that, though. I like those fun songs with the stereotypical country talking points. I can see Carrie Underwood or the Pistol Annies singing it.
I don't find anything stereotypical about "The Trailer Song" as it doesn't fall prey to the dirt road, redneck overwrought cliches that are common in so much mainstream country music these days. That song, like so much of Kacey's work actually shows a level of creativity and originality that's rarely found in the majority of mainstream country in 2013.
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

lime rickie wrote:I never said anything about moving it and I wasn't looking to do a gap analysis. I just wondered how it relates to Jimmy.

Again, I never said that you suggested that it be moved. I merely made that suggestion to you since you asked why the thread was posted in the Related Artists Discussion forum
lime rickie wrote:Why do you even care that I asked? It's not your thread, is it? Unless...dunh, dunh, dunh...YOU'RE a1aara. :o
I care because I have also posted threads in this part of the board that may not be directly related to Buffett. Why do you care?
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk

Post by lime rickie »

Tiki Torches wrote:
lime rickie wrote:I never said anything about moving it and I wasn't looking to do a gap analysis. I just wondered how it relates to Jimmy.

Again, I never said that you suggested that it be moved. I merely made that suggestion to you since you asked why the thread was posted in the Related Artists Discussion forum
lime rickie wrote:Why do you even care that I asked? It's not your thread, is it? Unless...dunh, dunh, dunh...YOU'RE a1aara. :o
I care because I have also posted threads in this part of the board that may not be directly related to Buffett. Why do you care?
I don't care where it's posted...YOU brought up the location. All I asked was how it related to Buffett.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

lime rickie wrote:I don't care where it's posted...YOU brought up the location. All I asked was how it related to Buffett.
Fair enough. Perhaps a1aara will weigh in. My apologies for jumping the gun and responding without giving him a chance to.
sonofabeach

Post by sonofabeach »

Tiki Torches wrote:
sonofabeach wrote:That "Trailer Song" above is exactly the kind of song that you knock in the "Sad Day in Country Music" thread. Not that there's anything wrong with that, though. I like those fun songs with the stereotypical country talking points. I can see Carrie Underwood or the Pistol Annies singing it.
I don't find anything stereotypical about "The Trailer Song" as it doesn't fall prey to the dirt road, redneck overwrought cliches that are common in so much mainstream country music these days. That song, like so much of Kacey's work actually shows a level of creativity and originality that's rarely found in the majority of mainstream country in 2013.
It's called The Trailer Song. Nothing stereotypical about that eh?
The subject matter is Miranda Lambert/Gretchen Wilson-esque or what a lot of country women sing about today. I like it though.
The dirt road stuff is the male artists. Musically it reminds me of an old Kenny Rogers song. Lucille or something.
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk

Post by lime rickie »

Tiki Torches wrote:
lime rickie wrote:I don't care where it's posted...YOU brought up the location. All I asked was how it related to Buffett.
Fair enough. Perhaps a1aara will weigh in. My apologies for jumping the gun and responding without giving him a chance to.
Yes, let's wait for a1aara. [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif] Maybe they all know Kevin Bacon or something. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

sonofabeach wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:
It's called The Trailer Song. Nothing stereotypical about that eh?
The subject matter is Miranda Lambert/Gretchen Wilson-esque or what a lot of country women sing about today. I like it though.
The dirt road stuff is the male artists. Musically it reminds me of an old Kenny Rogers song. Lucille or something.
I don't think it's at all stereotypical beyond the title. The content of the song itself belies any of the cliches that are so predominant of so much mainstream country music today. In fact, I've found that to be true of her entire record.
a1aara
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 75

Post by a1aara »

lime rickie wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:
Yes, let's wait for a1aara. [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif] Maybe they all know Kevin Bacon or something. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am here,

I am not Tiki Torches. Have never met Tiki Torches to the best of my Knowledge.

Now, I can do Kevin Bacon game but use Jimmy Buffett as the subject to tell you exactly how this is related to Jimmy Buffett.

Gary Allan recorded a song called "Alright Guy". "Alright Guy" was originally written & performed by Todd Snider. Todd Snider's first major label deal was with Margaritaville Records. Margaritaville Records was owned by Jimmy Buffett. On Todd's latest cd "Agnostic Hymns & Stoner Fables", Todd recorded a version of "West Nashville Grand Ballroom Gowns". Wrote by Jimmy Buffett. Todd Snider also recorded a "punk" version of "Margaritaville". Of course by Jimmy Buffett. So, if you want to get that technical I guess it is Buffett related?