Gary Allan Calls Out Carrie Underwood and Taylor Swift

Here you can discuss any other artist including Sunny Jim, Todd Snider, Jerry Jeff Walker, Steve Goodman, James Taylor, Alan Jackson, Bob Marley, Kenny Chesney and others

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

a1aara
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 75

Re: Gary Allan Calls Out Carrie Underwood and Taylor Swift

Post by a1aara »

SMLCHNG wrote:
springparrot wrote:
sonofabeach wrote:People get so hung up on genres. Who cares?
I'm glad that Jimmy does not.
I soooooo agree!
:) Me too. I like what I like. No 'labels'.
I think that most people totally agree.

It's just too bad the suits that run the major record labels & the suits making all the decisions in Nashville do not see it that way.

It is probably going to get a lot worse since Clear Channel & Warner Music cut the deal on how CC will pay royalties on music played on CC owned stations. Probably will see even tighter playlist & even more artists shut out of "mainstream".

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

a1aara wrote:
lime rickie wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:
lime rickie wrote:I don't care where it's posted...YOU brought up the location. All I asked was how it related to Buffett.
Fair enough. Perhaps a1aara will weigh in. My apologies for jumping the gun and responding without giving him a chance to.
Yes, let's wait for a1aara. [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif] Maybe they all know Kevin Bacon or something. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am here,

I am not Tiki Torches. Have never met Tiki Torches to the best of my Knowledge.

Now, I can do Kevin Bacon game but use Jimmy Buffett as the subject to tell you exactly how this is related to Jimmy Buffett.

Gary Allan recorded a song called "Alright Guy". "Alright Guy" was originally written & performed by Todd Snider. Todd Snider's first major label deal was with Margaritaville Records. Margaritaville Records was owned by Jimmy Buffett. On Todd's latest cd "Agnostic Hymns & Stoner Fables", Todd recorded a version of "West Nashville Grand Ballroom Gowns". Wrote by Jimmy Buffett. Todd Snider also recorded a "punk" version of "Margaritaville". Of course by Jimmy Buffett. So, if you want to get that technical I guess it is Buffett related?
Thanks! That's awesome. :lol:
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

Nice job!
You could've even thrown Jerry Jeff in there.
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"

jbfinscj
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Floridays, Tin Cup Chalice, Prince of Tides, Tides, Earles Dead
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Coconut Rum

Post by jbfinscj »

a1aara wrote:
lime rickie wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:
lime rickie wrote:I don't care where it's posted...YOU brought up the location. All I asked was how it related to Buffett.
Fair enough. Perhaps a1aara will weigh in. My apologies for jumping the gun and responding without giving him a chance to.
Yes, let's wait for a1aara. [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif] Maybe they all know Kevin Bacon or something. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am here,

Now, I can do Kevin Bacon game but use Jimmy Buffett as the subject to tell you exactly how this is related to Jimmy Buffett.

Gary Allan recorded a song called "Alright Guy". "Alright Guy" was originally written & performed by Todd Snider. Todd Snider's first major label deal was with Margaritaville Records. Margaritaville Records was owned by Jimmy Buffett. On Todd's latest cd "Agnostic Hymns & Stoner Fables", Todd recorded a version of "West Nashville Grand Ballroom Gowns". Wrote by Jimmy Buffett. Todd Snider also recorded a "punk" version of "Margaritaville". Of course by Jimmy Buffett. So, if you want to get that technical I guess it is Buffett related?
Well done. :). I to don't let genres classify what music I like. My taste is very eclectic.
I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays

alphabits
God's Own Drunk
Number of Concerts: 8

Post by alphabits »

a1aara wrote:
lime rickie wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:

I am here,

I don't know how many "degrees" that was (I have to count on my fingers and it's tough to do that with a drink in your hand), but that was awesome! [smilie=superkewl.gif] :lol: :lol: :lol:

citcat
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: margarita

Post by citcat »

I have no clue as to who Gary Allan is.
Opinions are like a$$holes....everybody's got one.
At least I HOPE they do....how cranky would an a$$holeless person be ? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Mainstream country sure is taking a beating lately.
“If I hear one more tailgate in the moonlight, daisy duke song, I’m gonna throw up. There’s songs out there on the radio right now that make me be ashamed to be even in the same format as some other artists.”
Zac Brown thinks Luke Bryan's 'That's My Kind Of Night' is 'the worst song' ever

sonofabeach

Post by sonofabeach »

Tiki Torches wrote:Mainstream country sure is taking a beating lately.
Yep..from you in every other post :lol:

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

sonofabeach wrote:
It doesn't really need my help.

a1aara
Hoot!

Post by a1aara »

“If I hear one more tailgate in the moonlight, daisy duke song, I’m gonna throw up. There’s songs out there on the radio right now that make me be ashamed to be even in the same format as some other artists.”
Zac Brown thinks Luke Bryan's 'That's My Kind Of Night' is 'the worst song' ever

Jason Isbell tweeted about Zac Brown speaking out. Thanks for sharing!

a1aara
Hoot!

Post by a1aara »

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

a1aara wrote:

Rest assured, the irony of someone as mediocre as Zac Brown speaking out against Luke Bryan isn't lost on me.

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

The guy who wrote "Sic 'Em On A Chicken" calling someone else's song the worst song ever. Hello pot, meet kettle.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

Garry Allen played at a theater I work at , he put on a very good show. I like most of Luke Bryant's stuff , every artist has that one song they wish they never did.

sonofabeach

Post by sonofabeach »

Tiki Torches wrote:
sonofabeach wrote:
"Hey look, look y'all. It really does blow cuz me,Gary Allan, Zac Brown and Tom Petty said so."

Who cares? People like what they like.
Always the Debbie Downer..
Hey I know. Rather than post about it all of the time, don't listen to it if you don't like it.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

LIPH wrote:The guy who wrote "Sic 'Em On A Chicken" calling someone else's song the worst song ever. Hello pot, meet kettle.
My sentiments exactly.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

sonofabeach wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:
sonofabeach wrote:
"Hey look, look y'all. It really does blow cuz me,Gary Allan, Zac Brown and Tom Petty said so."

Who cares? People like what they like.
Always the Debbie Downer..
Hey I know. Rather than post about it all of the time, don't listen to it if you don't like it.
It doesn't surprise me that you'd conveniently overlook the numerous posts I've made here over the years that speak very favorably of many other artists. Sort of like how I've had so many favorable things to say about Buffett's new record but rather than focus on that, several of you folks would prefer to divert attention away from that and concentrate on how I'm such an outspoken fan of his early work (an opinion also expressed by many others here) as though I should be faulted for having that perspective (one I share for many other artists btw, not just Buffett). I've seen others on here refer to his album as utter crap without offering any real reason as to why, yet folks like yourself don't have a thing to say to them, instead, you single me out, someone that actually likes the album and has gone into detail to explain why. For whatever it's worth, I've also not been the only one that's spoken so frankly about the state of mainstream country radio (or mainstream radio in general). For instance, just look at the author of this thread as well as several other threads of this very nature throughout this board. Also, if you've ever bothered to read anything I've ever written on this topic, I've made it abundantly clear that I do indeed exercise freedom of choice when it comes to what I listen to and have encouraged others to take the same initiative. Obviously, if you were to recognize that it wouldn't fit into how you'd like to categorize me as a "Debbie Downer". Quit overlooking the aspects of what I post that don't fit your agenda and actually take a look at the entire picture.

Mainstream radio has been in the shitter since at least the mid-90's when Clear Channel put a stranglehold on it, which resulted in some of the strictest playlists I've been witness to in my lifetime, which has brought us to where we are today. So, several artists have been quite vocal about it. Personally, I don't blame them. However, you continue to overlook the fact that myself (and others) have also frequently championed the alternatives that we all have at our disposal, as well as the abundance of artists out there we all find worthy of mentioning that you're going to have to look beyond the mainstream media to find. You see a glass half empty because that's evidently all you choose to see. I realized a long time ago that our exposure to artists deserving of wider exposure were being choked out of any sort of chance of airplay because the nature of the business at this point is to play it safe and stick to artists that only have mass appeal. The concept of artist development (what A & R departments were created for) went out the window long ago. Voicing that sort of an opinion doesn't make me any more of a "Debbie Downer" than it does Petty, Allan, Brown, Dale Watson or any of the dozens of artists that have spoken up about it, it's being realistic about the current state of the music business. Long before we reached this point I knew that there was a world of music out there just waiting to be discovered that existed beyond the radio dial. That's never been more true than in 2013 when we have more avenues to explore than ever before. Personally, I find that to be a very wonderous and beautiful thing as it gives those artists that are deserving of wider exposure a real chance of actually being heard, one that sadly does not exist via most traditional outlets like commercial radio. So, before you decide to look at me only through your very narrow, obviously biased vision take a few extra seconds and actually read what I've written here and elsewhere on this board.

Tiki Bar
Thank God the Tiki Torch Still Shines
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour / Tin Cup Chalice medley!
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Friends don't let friends drink tequila! Beer me!

Post by Tiki Bar »

lime rickie wrote:Did a house fall on your sister?

I never said I wanted it moved. I just wondered how it relates to Jimmy.

There is an off topic forum...I think that is where the recent One Direction thread went.
Not that it matters, but I originally posted the 1D thread in Off Topic, because they're certainly not related artists! :lol: :lol:

I guess this thread applies to related artists, because aren't all country artists related? It's a southern thang! :wink: :lol: But Off Topic would apply as well. Six of one, half dozen of the other!

But, that's just one girl's opinion. It's just a shame that it seems all music threads on BN become a trainwreck anymore, again. Bicker, bicker, bicker. Damn kids! :D
You’re still grinning, we’re still winning, nothing left to say
I’m still gliding as I go flying down this endless wave

sonofabeach

Post by sonofabeach »

The Jerry Fletcher routine is old.
I like a lot of the new country. I listen to it a lot at work. Sure there are some stinkers but everybody has stinkers.
My theory is "if it sounds good, it sounds good", regardless of what some old bitter artist or internet troll might say.
Not sure why Zac Brown would make such comments when he has some fun songs about out Fried Chicken and Toes in The Water etc., but at the same time, there's no way he's mediocre. I think him and his band are very talented.
It all comes down to "like what you like without trolling about it".

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

sonofabeach wrote:The Jerry Fletcher routine is old.
I like a lot of the new country. I listen to it a lot at work. Sure there are some stinkers but everybody has stinkers.
My theory is "if it sounds good, it sounds good", regardless of what some old bitter artist or internet troll might say.
Not sure why Zac Brown would make such comments when he has a song about out Fried Chicken, but at the same time, there's no way he's mediocre. I think him and his band are very talented.
It all comes down to "like what you like without trolling about it".
I missed the part where I accused you of conspiring against me as well as the part where anyone was trolling, though it is more than obvious that there's a clear cut bias there on your part. As for how I arrived at my thoughts regarding St. Somewhere and the attacks that ensued once I expressed them, I suggest taking a look at this thread in case you need to be reminded. If it's not readily apparent to you then it's more than obvious to me that you have a very selective memory. Evidently, lots of folks are unhappy about the current state of country music as represented by mainstream country radio and have spoken up about it. For whatever reason, they've become even more outspoken about it recently, probably because it's gotten worse due to the reasons myself and others have cited. I just so happen to agree with how many of them feel and in so doing, I gave you the reasons why I feel that way and how I arrived at those thoughts. I'm not sure how you perceive that to be "trolling".

As for Zac Brown, going by your own reasoning, there's always some "stinkers" out there and to my ears, the Zac Brown Band is in that category. They may be oozing with talent and are capable of selling millions of records but that doesn't mean that everyone is going to find them appealing. The same is true of the Dave Matthews Band (who the Zac Brown Band reminds me of in their utter blandness and unoriginality). Dave is also a super nice guy, or at least comes across that way in interviews. Same for Zac Brown but that doesn't mean I'm automatically going to like his music.