Guy Clark

Here you can discuss any other artist including Sunny Jim, Todd Snider, Jerry Jeff Walker, Steve Goodman, James Taylor, Alan Jackson, Bob Marley, Kenny Chesney and others

Moderator: SMLCHNG

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Guy Clark

Post by FinsUp6835 »

Any album recs for Guy Clark?
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Re: Guy Clark

Post by Tiki Torches »

FinsUp6835 wrote:Any album recs for Guy Clark?
Texas Cookin' and Old No. 1 are two of my favorites but he's one of those artists you can't really go wrong with. There may be songs I like more than others but I don't think he's ever cut a bad song much less a bad album. I'd put John Prine in the same category.
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Tonight I Just Need My Guitar *and* Southern Cross
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by East Texas Parrothead »

Workbench Songs is good ... if you want a representation of his best work, get the two-CD tribute set, THIS ONE'S FOR HIM ... not him singing, but top artists doing their best to cover the great songs.

I'm not that big a fan of MY FAVORITE PICTURE OF YOU.

Happy listening.
Gentilly ... 42 years is a long time to wait .... a Northeast Texas woman can hope.
My love is an anchor tied to you, tied with a silver chain.
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

While I deeply respect East Texas Parrothead's opinion, especially when it comes to Guy Clark, I would not recommend This One's For Him: A Tribute to Guy Clark as an introduction to his work. It's a wonderful tribute but if you want to hear pure, undistilled Guy, it's not the place to start. I feel it's best to begin with the man himself.

On a related topic, I'm curious to get some thoughts on this, a live album I haven't seen before. It's also available on DVD but evidently with less songs. According to comments I read on Amazon, it's available via Guy's website with all the same songs that are on the CD but I'm unable to access his website at present. Besides that, there's not much info on the album (or DVD) in regards to what year it's from.

**Edited To Add I just discovered this was recorded in 1984. Still would love to hear opinions from any and all that have heard it or have watched the DVD.

While I'm at it, I thought I'd pass this along as I just ran across it. Evidently, it was just published by The Tennessean today.

Guy Clark presses play and lets memories flow

jbfinscj
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Floridays, Tin Cup Chalice, Prince of Tides, Tides, Earles Dead
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Coconut Rum

Post by jbfinscj »

Tiki Torches wrote:
FinsUp6835 wrote:Any album recs for Guy Clark?
Texas Cookin' and Old No. 1 are two of my favorites but he's one of those artists you can't really go wrong with. There may be songs I like more than others but I don't think he's ever cut a bad song much less a bad album. I'd put John Prine in the same category.

I agree
I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays

a1aara
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 75

Post by a1aara »

Tiki Torches wrote:While I deeply respect East Texas Parrothead's opinion, especially when it comes to Guy Clark, I would not recommend This One's For Him: A Tribute to Guy Clark as an introduction to his work. It's a wonderful tribute but if you want to hear pure, undistilled Guy, it's not the place to start. I feel it's best to begin with the man himself.

On a related topic, I'm curious to get some thoughts on this, a live album I haven't seen before. It's also available on DVD but evidently with less songs. According to comments I read on Amazon, it's available via Guy's website with all the same songs that are on the CD but I'm unable to access his website at present. Besides that, there's not much info on the album (or DVD) in regards to what year it's from.

Great article from Peter Cooper!

**Edited To Add I just discovered this was recorded in 1984. Still would love to hear opinions from any and all that have heard it or have watched the DVD.

While I'm at it, I thought I'd pass this along as I just ran across it. Evidently, it was just published by The Tennessean today.

Guy Clark presses play and lets memories flow

DAB
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: The Wino and I know
Number of Concerts: 4

Post by DAB »

I love all his albums, but check out "The Dark"