09 Tour Dates

The latest rumors and confirmed dates

Moderator: SMLCHNG

ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH BEST...SONG...EVER!!
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Chill the rose

Re: 09 Tour Dates

Post by ScarletB »

TommyBahama wrote:
no shoes wrote:
mistrhia wrote:Image At the risk of being banned for life from the site, I'd like to make a suggestion Image(taking cover now!!!)

How about scratching ALL of the "traditional" venues and trying out some new (or at least rarely visited spots) for the 2009 tour?? :o

Many of us can only spare the time and $$$$ for a show once every year or so and we can't always travel too far to do it. :( :cry: :( :cry:

Having the shows in the same venues, in the same cities, every year means that some of us will just not be able to go - shaking up the norm with NEW venues in NEW places would be opening up the opportunities to a whole new slew of concert goers! [smilie=gt-happyup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=gt-happyup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif]

Look at the buzz when he did the first Paris jazz club show - why? Because it wasn't a venue he had played before & because it wasn't the typical big stadium show! Everyone was excited about it, and it sounds like it was really something to see. Now, maybe that excitement could be ramped up again with more new cities and new venues for the entire year? Image

There are lots of cities and plenty of venues all over North America that just never get a sniff of the action - wouldn't it be nice to see a change? Maybe they might just stumble onto the best venue ever, that just remains unknown to Parrotheads at this time?

Anyway, just a thought from someone who isn't ever going to get to Great Woods, etc. etc, and who would really like to see Jimmy & Co. back in the Pacific Northwest again. Maybe even back in Canada (Vancouver maybe?)

OK - Fire away....Flak Jacket is on!! Image .. Image
Let me be the first to agree with you!! [smilie=thatworks.gif] Very well said......

More smaller and interesting venues would be great - worth making the trip over the pond for

Let the debate begin.................... 8)
Smaller venuess would be nice...Tanglewood in Lenox , MA is beautiful......but expect sky high prices....which i wouldn't be able to afford!!.......most of your smaller places hold about 5000-8000 people!!
Yeah, you think it's hard to get tickets NOW at the big venues, I just got tickets for James Taylor at Tanglewood. I have a presale password and STILL couldn't get anything closer than 3 sections back and that's James Taylor! (The highest price ticket was only $85 though)It would be terrific but I fear not practical.
Jimmy plays the big population centers LA, Texas, Florida, Chicago, NY and Boston. That just makes business sense to maximize the use of the people and transport needed. Having said that I'd road trip to Denver in heartbeat for a show at Redrocks!
GW - 7/19
Great Northern MOTM - 7/20-21
Hershey Labor Day Weekend Show - 8/29
MOTM - Oct 28
TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

ScarletB wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:
no shoes wrote:
mistrhia wrote:Image At the risk of being banned for life from the site, I'd like to make a suggestion Image(taking cover now!!!)

How about scratching ALL of the "traditional" venues and trying out some new (or at least rarely visited spots) for the 2009 tour?? :o

Many of us can only spare the time and $$$$ for a show once every year or so and we can't always travel too far to do it. :( :cry: :( :cry:

Having the shows in the same venues, in the same cities, every year means that some of us will just not be able to go - shaking up the norm with NEW venues in NEW places would be opening up the opportunities to a whole new slew of concert goers! [smilie=gt-happyup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=gt-happyup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif]

Look at the buzz when he did the first Paris jazz club show - why? Because it wasn't a venue he had played before & because it wasn't the typical big stadium show! Everyone was excited about it, and it sounds like it was really something to see. Now, maybe that excitement could be ramped up again with more new cities and new venues for the entire year? Image

There are lots of cities and plenty of venues all over North America that just never get a sniff of the action - wouldn't it be nice to see a change? Maybe they might just stumble onto the best venue ever, that just remains unknown to Parrotheads at this time?

Anyway, just a thought from someone who isn't ever going to get to Great Woods, etc. etc, and who would really like to see Jimmy & Co. back in the Pacific Northwest again. Maybe even back in Canada (Vancouver maybe?)

Let me be the first to agree with you!! [smilie=thatworks.gif] Very well said......

More smaller and interesting venues would be great - worth making the trip over the pond for

Smaller venuess would be nice...Tanglewood in Lenox , MA is beautiful......but expect sky high prices....which i wouldn't be able to afford!!.......most of your smaller places hold about 5000-8000 people!!
Yeah, you think it's hard to get tickets NOW at the big venues, I just got tickets for James Taylor at Tanglewood. I have a presale password and STILL couldn't get anything closer than 3 sections back and that's James Taylor! (The highest price ticket was only $85 though)It would be terrific but I fear not practical.
Jimmy plays the big population centers LA, Texas, Florida, Chicago, NY and Boston. That just makes business sense to maximize the use of the people and transport needed. Having said that I'd road trip to Denver in heartbeat for a show at Redrocks!
I may be at that show!!!...had a chance last year!!...it's on July 4th right??
ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH BEST...SONG...EVER!!
Favorite Boat Drink: Chill the rose

Post by ScarletB »

TommyBahama wrote:
ScarletB wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:
no shoes wrote:

No this year he's there 3 nights Aug 28th and 29th solo and on the 30th with the Boston Pops. He usually IS there in July though I think. I actually only have tickets for the 30th as I'm taking my mom to Tanglewood for her birthday and though she would have gone to his solo show I know she'll enjoy the one where the orchestra is backing him up. Should be good.
Take Lori to the Red Lion Inn Tommy - it's very romantic, I always joke with my mom that it's a waste of the big comfy beds to be there with her! :D
GW - 7/19
Great Northern MOTM - 7/20-21
Hershey Labor Day Weekend Show - 8/29
MOTM - Oct 28
TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

ScarletB wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:
ScarletB wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:
no shoes wrote:

No this year he's there 3 nights Aug 28th and 29th solo and on the 30th with the Boston Pops. He usually IS there in July though I think. I actually only have tickets for the 30th as I'm taking my mom to Tanglewood for her birthday and though she would have gone to his solo show I know she'll enjoy the one where the orchestra is backing him up. Should be good.
Take Lori to the Red Lion Inn Tommy - it's very romantic, I always joke with my mom that it's a waste of the big comfy beds to be there with her! :D
Beauttful Place.....i'm up that way all the time....also i'm not all that far from that area...less then a hour...nice ride!!!
7vegas11
Overkill
Favorite Buffett Song: 2008 CBP FruitCakes, "and the Phillies in First Place!"
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: Jello Shots

Post by 7vegas11 »

TommyBahama wrote:
no shoes wrote:

I am willing to offer my back yard as a small intimate venue if Jimmy is looking. It will only hold about 30 people, but I would only charge $35 bucks a head, and that would include beef and beer (BYOM).
but my friends just call me RAGZ; so feel free.
mistrhia
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by mistrhia »

ImageJust to clarify...

My point was that it would be nice to see Jimmy in different cities, and different venues. They don't necessarily have to be small venues like the club in Paris - that was simply an example of a new venue/city. There are mid to large size venues everywhere that could quite comfortably house the Phlock if they were to come to town. The "big population" center idea doesn't hold a lot of water with me - if Buffett does a concert, the Parrotheads will come! There will always be the fans who will travel anywhere, at any time, to see him - proof of this is all over these boards! I just think it would be a nice gesture to "share the wealth" with those loyal fans who aren't as easily able to drop everything and travel around the country (or the world) but would still like to have an opportunity to see Buffett live.

It just seems that some of the "same old,same old" venues have many pros and cons (again, just look at the posts all over the site). Some people love 'em, some people hate 'em! Complaints abound with regard to tailgating, security, seating, etc. so why not just give some other venues a chance? As I said, maybe there is the gem of the century out there waiting to be discovered - a future Phlocking mecca if you will - that just remains undiscovered at this time! We'll never know unless it's tried!

So Jimmy, if you read this - please keep it in mind for you future plans!

OK, Running back for cover now!!! Image
Waiting for those Lazy Beach Days!!

Image Image
Sundog
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 25
Favorite Boat Drink: Appleton Estate, Diet Coke, Lime, Rocks

Post by Sundog »

Cincinnati Riverbend is a great venue, along the Ohio River. Tons of tailgating. Cincy fans take it seriously, since the term "Parrothead" was apparently coined at a concert in the Queen City, though it was at the old concert park at Kings Island.

I'm in Indianapolis, so Verizon Ampitheatre in Noblesville (just NE of Indy) is where I generally see him during the summer. It's a fairly small venue, so most pavillion seats will give you a nice view. Lawn is raucous, of course, so you end up depending on the big screens. But tailgating is rampant and enjoyable at both of these loyal, midwest locations.

no shoes--I saw the Rod 'n Reel Pier on your pictures. Awesome. AMI is one of my favorite places in the world!

Hoosier Beachbum
catsway
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Quietly Making Noise
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in my Hand

Post by catsway »

I agree, medium sized venues in medium sized cities. We need more shows down South, along the Gulf Coast. New Orleans is fine but what about Pensacola Civic Center, Leon County Civic Center in Tallahassee (been there 2007), The Wharf in Gulf Shores (close to his roots). Atlanta and Tampa are the ony other venues he's performed at that are a day's drive from the Florida Panhandle. We would appreciate more options here in Lower Alabama.
Sell Your Stuff, Keep the Dog, Live on an Island
Image JB & Sonny Image Cat & Way Image Mr. Utley
sharkman73
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration
Number of Concerts: 77
Favorite Boat Drink: Morgan Madra

Post by sharkman73 »

Sundog, I saw JB at Deer Creek in1995. The venue is great, much like Poplar Creek used to be in Illinois, but when I went, they didn't allow any tailgaiting. It really sucked. I haven't been back due to that. Due they allow it now for Buffett?
seminolegrl06
I gotta go where it's warm
Favorite Buffett Song: Wino I Know
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by seminolegrl06 »

catsway wrote:I agree, medium sized venues in medium sized cities. We need more shows down South, along the Gulf Coast. New Orleans is fine but what about Pensacola Civic Center, Leon County Civic Center in Tallahassee (been there 2007), The Wharf in Gulf Shores (close to his roots). Atlanta and Tampa are the ony other venues he's performed at that are a day's drive from the Florida Panhandle. We would appreciate more options here in Lower Alabama.

AMEN!!!!!!
[/url]

"Strange situations, wild occupations, livin my life like a song"
terpforlife
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Buffett original: Honey Do; Cover: Brown Eyed Girl
Number of Concerts: 27
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by terpforlife »

Sundog wrote:Cincinnati Riverbend is a great venue, along the Ohio River. Tons of tailgating. Cincy fans take it seriously, since the term "Parrothead" was apparently coined at a concert in the Queen City, though it was at the old concert park at Kings Island.

I'm in Indianapolis, so Verizon Ampitheatre in Noblesville (just NE of Indy) is where I generally see him during the summer. It's a fairly small venue, so most pavillion seats will give you a nice view. Lawn is raucous, of course, so you end up depending on the big screens. But tailgating is rampant and enjoyable at both of these loyal, midwest locations.

no shoes--I saw the Rod 'n Reel Pier on your pictures. Awesome. AMI is one of my favorite places in the world!

Hoosier Beachbum

Maybe it was just me, but didn't you think the acoustics were really bad at Riverbend last year? There were several occasions when I had a hard time making out what he was playing.... maybe my hearing is starting to go!
terpforlife
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Buffett original: Honey Do; Cover: Brown Eyed Girl
Number of Concerts: 27
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by terpforlife »

I also want to say that I am planning a trip to Key West to see good old Captain Tony's Saloon (sadly won't get to see the man himself) the last weekend in June. I am from Pittsburgh, so I'm praying Burgettstown doesn't get scheduled for that Saturday!!! :o
rich_big
At the Bama Breeze

Post by rich_big »

mistrhia wrote:ImageJust to clarify...

My point was that it would be nice to see Jimmy in different cities, and different venues. They don't necessarily have to be small venues like the club in Paris - that was simply an example of a new venue/city. There are mid to large size venues everywhere that could quite comfortably house the Phlock if they were to come to town. The "big population" center idea doesn't hold a lot of water with me - if Buffett does a concert, the Parrotheads will come! There will always be the fans who will travel anywhere, at any time, to see him - proof of this is all over these boards! I just think it would be a nice gesture to "share the wealth" with those loyal fans who aren't as easily able to drop everything and travel around the country (or the world) but would still like to have an opportunity to see Buffett live.

It just seems that some of the "same old,same old" venues have many pros and cons (again, just look at the posts all over the site). Some people love 'em, some people hate 'em! Complaints abound with regard to tailgating, security, seating, etc. so why not just give some other venues a chance? As I said, maybe there is the gem of the century out there waiting to be discovered - a future Phlocking mecca if you will - that just remains undiscovered at this time! We'll never know unless it's tried!

So Jimmy, if you read this - please keep it in mind for you future plans!

OK, Running back for cover now!!! Image

I thought the same thing. A few years ago Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson did a tour of minor league ballparks, (after seeing Springsteen at Dodger Stadium, I am not at all a fan of big ballpark shows) and I thought it was a cool idea. People obviously came from nearby big cities to the shows, and it was probably pretty neat.

BTW, love the pics of the bears
CrznDnUS1
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: I Have Found A Home
Favorite Boat Drink: Mezcal

Post by CrznDnUS1 »

As it was said many times before Jimmy Buffett is a marketing business and if they can't make $1,000,000 plus on a show you will have a hard time getting the band to come out of a major population region. Yes they do some small stuff like M'Ville openings and some school benefits like in the Hampton's but something such as a share the wealth tour would be nice. Maybe he could do something like eat the costs and play small venues to show the appreciation and loyalty of his fans. I think at this stage of the game he could afford to lose some dough on something like this( but you never know...). Didn't Aerosmith do something similar a few years ago by offering free tickets to their fans?
(BTW) We went to a share the wealth party many years ago from a friend who came into a ton of money and all that was there was trays or ziti, lasagna and meatballs. So maybe a share the wealth won't work too well. :D
"The most aggravating thing about the younger generation is that I no longer belong to it." - Albert Einstein
browneyedgrltx
Havana Daydreamin'
Favorite Buffett Song: Brown Eyed Girl
Favorite Boat Drink: Margaritas and Landshark, of course!

Re:

Post by browneyedgrltx »

LIPH wrote:If he's back in Frisco next year I think I have some atoning to do. For 2 reasons. :oops:
What two? I can really only think of one and it was justifiable as far as I'm concerned. We said it last year and will say it again if necessary, no apologies and no regrets.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built."

Austin 06, 13, 14,15, 16
Vegas 08, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16
Frisco '07, '08, '09, 10, 16
Indy 16
Dallas '06
New Orleans Jazz Fest '02
Bristow, VA '99
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Re: Re:

Post by LIPH »

browneyedgrltx wrote:
LIPH wrote:If he's back in Frisco next year I think I have some atoning to do. For 2 reasons. :oops:
What two? I can really only think of one and it was justifiable as far as I'm concerned. We said it last year and will say it again if necessary, no apologies and no regrets.
It was before the tailgate and honestly, it bothers me more than making an ass of myself at the tailgate did. :oops:
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
browneyedgrltx
Havana Daydreamin'
Favorite Buffett Song: Brown Eyed Girl
Favorite Boat Drink: Margaritas and Landshark, of course!

Post by browneyedgrltx »

LIPH wrote:
browneyedgrltx wrote:
It was before the tailgate and honestly, it bothers me more than making an ass of myself at the tailgate did. :oops:
If you need one, we'll get you a priest so you can spill your guts and get over it! Just get your behind back to Texas! FFF would not be the same without you!
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built."

Austin 06, 13, 14,15, 16
Vegas 08, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16
Frisco '07, '08, '09, 10, 16
Indy 16
Dallas '06
New Orleans Jazz Fest '02
Bristow, VA '99
ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

browneyedgrltx wrote:
LIPH wrote:
browneyedgrltx wrote:
If you need one, we'll get you a priest so you can spill your guts and get over it! Just get your behind back to Texas! FFF would not be the same without you!

I know what he did!!!!

He said.. " I don't care if I am in Texas.. I do not want a Dr Pepper, I want a Coke!!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mistrhia
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by mistrhia »

CrznDnUS1 wrote:As it was said many times before Jimmy Buffett is a marketing business and if they can't make $1,000,000 plus on a show you will have a hard time getting the band to come out of a major population region.
:-? I think the confusion here is this mindset about "major population regions".
Just because Jimmy has traditionally treated a handful of cities to regular visits which the local fans can set their watches by, this doesn't meant they are the only "major population regions" in the country! While those cities/states that have been able to plan for those regular, annual visits may feel they are always the obvious choices for dates on a Buffett tour, they would be sadly mistaken to think they are the only places that could possibly host a show. [smilie=nope.gif]

There are, as stated before, many venues that are just as capable of holding a Buffett show, making money for the "bidness" end of things, yet still take care of the neglected fans that are just waiting for a visit. Ticket prices aren't that different from venue to venue anyway, so they could charge the same dollars, to the same basic numbers of people and there is no difference to the bottom line.

Take for example the MGM in Las Vegas. There are venues of roughly this size all over the country, with population bases that can easily fill them. A sellout in, say, Oregon makes the same amount of money as a sellout in Vegas when the venues hold the same amount of people. Either way, there are static costs to trucking the show around the country - trucking it to some different cities instead of stopping in the same old places really doesn't make a difference. They still have to pay for fuel, roadies, etc, etc no matter where they go.

As for any concerns about tailgating (or lack thereof) at any new venues- well, lets just say I've been a Buffett fan since long before there were the "Parrotheads", costumes, tailgate parties, etc. (and since the ticket prices for the best seats in the house were well under 3 & 4 figures! :o ). I just love his music, have from the beginning, and it wouldn't make a difference to me if all that extra fluff was there or not. Having said that, where there's a will, there's always a way! For those fans that need these things to make it a Buffett show, they can and will find a way to make it happen!! :wink:

Anyway, I vote for this year's tour to be called the "Year of Hardly Ever (or Never) Here" and hope to see Jimmy in some different cities and venues for a change. Sorry to step on any toes if my view is different from yours, it is just my opinion! :D
Waiting for those Lazy Beach Days!!

Image Image
Phinsup2!
I have found me a home

Post by Phinsup2! »

Sundog wrote:Cincinnati Riverbend is a great venue, along the Ohio River. Tons of tailgating. Cincy fans take it seriously, since the term "Parrothead" was apparently coined at a concert in the Queen City, though it was at the old concert park at Kings Island.

Hoosier Beachbum

I am from the Chicago area, and have been going to the Verizon Wireless for the last few years. You are right...almost any pavillion seat gets you a good view, and the people are great. And I always stay at a hotel that isn't much more than a 5 minute drive from the venue with a limited amount of traffic. Sure beats Tinley Park. Of course he doesn't even play there anymore...not since Toyota Park. I have to admit...I am getting a little antsy to have a confirmed date for Noblesville...............................?
Wrinkles only go where smiles have been.
What infinite wisdom...Thank you Jimmy!!!