Not happy about the canceled West Coast Dates!

The latest rumors and confirmed dates

Moderator: SMLCHNG

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: Not happy about the canceled West Coast Dates!

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

ph4ever wrote:
SchoolGirlHeart wrote:Although we all p*ssed and moaned about wanting all the tour dates all at once, fact is if they'd waited on announcing the west coast dates like they normally do, they'd have simply never been announced and while people wouldn't have liked not having a show out there they also wouldn't be holding non-refundable airplane tickets. Sort of a case of be careful what you wish for....
It's almost as if you're saying it's the fans fault for believing the announcements the man made.
No, I'm saying we all clamored for announcements when if the west coast announcements had been held off as in previous years they simply never would have been announced, rather than announced then canceled, so people would not have bought plane tickets.

Once it's on M'Ville, I see it as 'announced' and I do think it stinks that it's going to cost people money. :-?
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

oceanstate wrote:...and the everpresent "well, the local PHC told me," type rumors.
Actually when it comes to shows the PHCs are a pretty accurate source of info since they do get announcements a little bit ahead

Take your time
Find your passion
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
Jmacboi
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: I Heard I Was In Town
Number of Concerts: 3
Favorite Boat Drink: Coconut Rum & Flavored Vitamin Water

Post by Jmacboi »

I didn't mean to start an outburst of unhappy Parrothead campers, but I do think we got shafted on the West Coast for the Fall Schedule. At least the canceled dates were made public way in advance rather than a few weeks or days. That would have been a worse scenario for sure! Over the years I've known other concerts that have been canceled by other artists because of no excuse reasons. However, I just never expected it from Jimmy Buffett, who I thought was Mr. Reliable and the Fans always come first. Obviously it doesn't have anything to do with Poor Ticket sales, because most of us didn't even have a chance to purchase tickets yet. All of the "Other Non-Official Ticket Selling Sites" have tickets already priced way high. So, I think it was expected ticket sales would be pretty decent when they officially went on sale. Just my take on how ticket sales would/could/should have gone for the canceled dates.
Looking For That One Particular Harbor
oceanstate
Favorite Buffett Song: Trip Around the Sun
Number of Concerts: 15

Post by oceanstate »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
oceanstate wrote:...and the everpresent "well, the local PHC told me," type rumors.
Actually when it comes to shows the PHCs are a pretty accurate source of info since they do get announcements a little bit ahead
My PHC folks (I know the officers) have a good handle on the marketing stuff, but when it comes to anything else they tend to shrug a lot.
maggiemay56
Number of Concerts: 20

Post by maggiemay56 »

dean_siu wrote:
Go to livenation.com.....there's tickets o' plenty.....just pulled up 8 in a row in section 105 Row U
You are right about livenation. I was able to find seats. I tried to use the "click n' pick" feature to see the available seats, but I couldn't get the program to run. Too bad. It would have been interesting to see.
ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer

Post by ph4ever »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
ph4ever wrote:
SchoolGirlHeart wrote:Although we all p*ssed and moaned about wanting all the tour dates all at once, fact is if they'd waited on announcing the west coast dates like they normally do, they'd have simply never been announced and while people wouldn't have liked not having a show out there they also wouldn't be holding non-refundable airplane tickets. Sort of a case of be careful what you wish for....
It's almost as if you're saying it's the fans fault for believing the announcements the man made.
No, I'm saying we all clamored for announcements when if the west coast announcements had been held off as in previous years they simply never would have been announced, rather than announced then canceled, so people would not have bought plane tickets.

Once it's on M'Ville, I see it as 'announced' and I do think it stinks that it's going to cost people money. :-?
Unfortunately now we can't rely on his own dadgum website as far as shows go.
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.
TraderRick
Gypsies in the palace

Post by TraderRick »

This was a statement put out regarding the LandShark Stadium deal a while back:

"Though terms of the contract were not disclosed, two people close to the deal said they were told Buffett is not paying a straight rights fee but instead will compensate Ross through appearances, other marketing opportunities and potential concert performances. Ross said he is not sure if Buffett will perform at any Dolphins games, but “he’s going to be featured at tailgates. We are going to incorporate him to be a big part of the Dolphins.”

This deal was obviously in the making for sometime now- and Jimmy (the consummate businessman) was leveraging his image and fan base to cover his part of the ante. This deal obviously demanded he be present 100% (image-wise) to the Dolphins franchise in order to make this LandShark branding work. He had to know his hand would be forced- and he chose snubbing fans for this sweet deal. Again- I love Jimmy- but he showed incredible disregard for his West Coast fans. At the very least there needs to be an explanation and/or apology. No two ways about it.
Last edited by TraderRick on May 18, 2009 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's wind in our hair
And there's water in our shoes
It's been a lovely cruise.
Coconuts
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Something with rum

Post by Coconuts »

TraderRick wrote:This was a statement put out regarding the LandShark Stadium deal a while back:

"Though terms of the contract were not disclosed, two people close to the deal said they were told Buffett is not paying a straight rights fee but instead will compensate Ross through appearances, other marketing opportunities and potential concert performances. Ross said he is not sure if Buffett will perform at any Dolphins games, but “he’s going to be featured at tailgates. We are going to incorporate him to be a big part of the Dolphins.”

This deal was obviously in the making for sometime now- and Jimmy (the consummate businessman) was leveraging his image and fan base to cover his part of the ante. This deal obviously demanded he be present 100% (image-wise) to the Dolphins franchise in order to make this LandShark branding work. He had to know his hand would be forced- and he chose snubbing fans for this sweet deal. Again- I love Jimmy- but he showed incredible disregard for his West Coast fans. At the very least there needs to be and explanation and/or apology. No two ways about it.
How is it a sweet deal for Jimmy if he loses over 5 million (just a guess) in lost gate fees from canceled concerts, plus makes MGM mad, his fans that travel mad, plus loses the money spent at Margaritaville- on a market where anyone who might be a parrothead already is one? A market that doesn't even have a Margaritaville?

This deal has, I'm sure, been in the works longer than those dates have been up- why would he let them get posted if there was even an off chance that he would have to cancel them?

This doesn't add up.
My ship she has a rudder, but I don’t know where to steer
Jmacboi
Favorite Buffett Song: I Heard I Was In Town
Number of Concerts: 3
Favorite Boat Drink: Coconut Rum & Flavored Vitamin Water

Post by Jmacboi »

TraderRick wrote:This was a statement put out regarding the LandShark Stadium deal a while back:

This deal was obviously in the making for sometime now- and Jimmy (the consummate businessman) was leveraging his image and fan base to cover his part of the ante. This deal obviously demanded he be present 100% (image-wise) to the Dolphins franchise in order to make this LandShark branding work. He had to know his hand would be forced- and he chose snubbing fans for this sweet deal. Again- I love Jimmy- but he showed incredible disregard for his West Coast fans. At the very least there needs to be and explanation and/or apology. No two ways about it.
I totally agree there should be an explanation. However, the Powers To Be probably don't think they need to make a formal explanation because they have the right to cancel any concert they feel like. No apology needed, especially when Landshark Stadium now is the focus and the priority over the Loyal Fans who made the road to success, (including the Stadium Deal) possible. Kind of leaves a Bitter Taste in the Mouth! Not the normal Boat Drink Special Taste. It's going to take awhile, but we'll get over it and move on. [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif]
Looking For That One Particular Harbor
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

TraderRick wrote:At the very least there needs to be and explanation and/or apology. No two ways about it.
Because the shows were announced, not merely rumored, I agree.

Take your time
Find your passion
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

I just hope the explanation doesn't come at Nissan in the form of "That's it, friends and neighbors. We're done touring." *shudder*

Take your time
Find your passion
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
tryin' to reason
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 25

Post by tryin' to reason »

This part of the BN site should be renamed from this point forward from Tour Dates and Rumors to simply Tour Date Rumors.

Oh wait...nevermind...I've changed my mind... 8) :pirate:
We'll party just like Bubba does,
We'll do the Old Man proud!
Finsupinfla
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 62

Post by Finsupinfla »

I had planned on going to San Diego because I have never been, and it was surprisingly inexpensive compared to some of the other cities I looked into. Now its back to square one looking for a place to go now.
ImageImage
All my girls!!!
maggiemay56
Number of Concerts: 20

Post by maggiemay56 »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:I just hope the explanation doesn't come at Nissan in the form of "That's it, friends and neighbors. We're done touring." *shudder*
Me, either. :(
I just want to be acknowledged & appreciated. ***sniff, sniff***
An apology or some sort of explanation would accomplish that.
:D
Lightning Bolt
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin To Reason...
Number of Concerts: 17
Location: Mt. Helix looking east to the future, west to this sunset

Post by Lightning Bolt »

I guess the Volcano 'sbout to blow.... he don't want to land in no San Diego :-? :oops:
$#@&...only Vegas again?? Padres ...gotta start believin'!Bring on '14 Spring Training!
TraderRick
Gypsies in the palace

Post by TraderRick »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:I just hope the explanation doesn't come at Nissan in the form of "That's it, friends and neighbors. We're done touring." *shudder*
I've wondered about this aspect of it as well. We all know the road is hell and Jimmy's been on it for almost 40yrs. Could be this is the tipping point. Could be he chooses to be closer to home and family from now on- and do the easier type of "bidness". And it's not that I blame him one bit. It's just that the manner in which this "episode" took place has a lot to be desired. Phins up.
Last edited by TraderRick on May 18, 2009 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's wind in our hair
And there's water in our shoes
It's been a lovely cruise.
tryin' to reason
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 25

Post by tryin' to reason »

This deal was obviously in the making for sometime now- and Jimmy (the consummate businessman) was leveraging his image and fan base to cover his part of the ante. This deal obviously demanded he be present 100% (image-wise) to the Dolphins franchise in order to make this LandShark branding work. He had to know his hand would be forced- and he chose snubbing fans for this sweet deal. Again- I love Jimmy- but he showed incredible disregard for his West Coast fans. At the very least there needs to be an explanation and/or apology. No two ways about it.

APOLOGY ??
You want an apology from the Great Oz - er, Jimmy ??

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...
We'll party just like Bubba does,
We'll do the Old Man proud!
Tiki Bar
Thank God the Tiki Torch Still Shines
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour / Tin Cup Chalice medley!
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Friends don't let friends drink tequila! Beer me!

Post by Tiki Bar »

Angry mob, Buffett style! :wink: :D

I'm confused... the tiki torches still shine - does that mean the tiki bar is open? :)
You’re still grinning, we’re still winning, nothing left to say
I’m still gliding as I go flying down this endless wave
Kasey
Number of Concerts: 4

Post by Kasey »

The real shame of this is that if no October LV dates had been announced, I would have gone in May. By the time the dates were removed from Margaritaville, it was too late to rearrange my work schedule.

I've always thought the LV dates are special because it is a place where ph from places where Jimmy never performs can phlock. There's always reasonable airfare and rooms.

*sigh*

I'd just say 'next time', but at Jimmy's stage of life, who knows if there will be a next time?
waikikimermaid
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by waikikimermaid »

WOW! THE PARROTTHEADS ARE p***!! I feel your frustration and disappointment! While it is a BIG bummer to have spent some money and planned vacations around tour date rumors or what we think are non-rumors... THIS IS LIFE... always subject to change! We have to learn to "roll with the punches" ! I think and am hoping, the dates and venues that were pulled, were to accommodate some exciting changes, such as Tahiti, Australia, and the South Pacific. I think it has less to do with the stadium deal than most people think, yeah there will probably be a couple of concerts announced for the stadium, near open season and maybe SUPERBOWL?!!! But hell, just be glad that Jimmy is getting us out to see the world! I know I am, ( of course I would be doing it without him, but it is much more fun when he makes an appearance in certain places as well). I hear this news with mixed emotions - Jimmy is always talking about disappearing to that "One Particular Harbor - BUT NOT YET! WELL MAYBE THIS IS IT!!! Be glad for where we have been and where we may still go in the future!!! HERE IS TO THE ADVENTURE - EMBRACE IT!!!