Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

TheSecretsInTheCrust
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: California Promises
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Captain & Coke

WEST COAST being snubbed….again

Post by TheSecretsInTheCrust »

Looking like the West Coast is being pushed back to the end of the tour in October. We'll have iffy weather or play Vegas and call it West Coast. This story is getting old. Vegas is fun, but not having a tailgate area does s***. But then tailgating in hoodies isn't quite the same
Find Yourself A Lover Who Will Glue You To The Floor

dean_siu
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: WEST COAST being snubbed….again

Post by dean_siu »

I actually think the pre-party in Vegas will be really good this year. The last couple of years have been lackluster with everyone crammed into the pool area. However, with the Linq project being completed, they'll be more room than ever before and the it should be a huge party right by the High Roller. I'd love to see him do even more west coast dates but when the Tue/Thu between Vegas shows often struggle to sell out, I'd be surprised to see anything more.

FINSUPinIdaho
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: APLA40
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Why, you buying???

Post by FINSUPinIdaho »

To me Vegas has lost it's magic. Overcrowded and overpriced. Buffett there is not the same as it was back in the 90's and early 2000's. I miss the Key Largo and getting to name the Last Man Standing party at TR's before it was known as the LMS party...

Things change...oh well.

FINSUPinIdaho
License to Chill

Post by FINSUPinIdaho »

Key Largo pool party....

(those are our fingers)

ParrotHead67
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Who's The Blonde Stranger
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Haven't had a bad one yet
Location: Woke up dry beneath the African sky, just me and my Swiss Army Knife

Post by ParrotHead67 »

I guess to each his own. I absolutely love Jimmy in Vegas and the pool parties. Meet up with friends from California and Nebraska and have the best time poolside and at the concert. I hope he continues to play there forever. As for him snubbing California, I agree it's too bad. California certainly is part of his success but I don't think he owes anyone anything. At 67, he could retire if he wants to. To me, everything he does now is a bonus. Yes, we all have paid good money for his concerts but we did it voluntarily and got entertained in return. Why does Jimmy owe anyone anything? He's worked hard to get where he is and should be choosy at this time in his life. I understand it's disappointing that he doesn't come to the west more but really he shouldn't feel obligated. And I am saying this despite being a west-coaster my whole life.
"I gotta go where it's warm!"

ParrotHead67
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Who's The Blonde Stranger
Favorite Boat Drink: Haven't had a bad one yet
Location: Woke up dry beneath the African sky, just me and my Swiss Army Knife

Post by ParrotHead67 »

FINSUPinIdaho wrote:Key Largo pool party....

(those are our fingers)

Now that's a great picture. Looks like you guys are really hating it there. :D
"I gotta go where it's warm!"

jeepgirl
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 35

Post by jeepgirl »

FINSUPinIdaho wrote:Key Largo pool party....

(those are our fingers)

the Boys of Boise! 8)
ImageImage

MerrickBill
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Livingston Saturday Night
Number of Concerts: 1

Post by MerrickBill »

C'mon Jimmy. We need a nice SoCal show with a big parking lot in which to tailgate. How 'bout it?

Bill

daddymention
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin' to Reason With Hurricane Season & Cowboy in the Jungle
Number of Concerts: 31
Favorite Boat Drink: Pizza Port Carlsbad- Poor Man's IPA & Zombies

Post by daddymention »

Well it's been over 2 years since he's played San Diego (3/10/2012)...not counting the Belly Up show that was impossible to get tickets for...and even longer for Irvine (10/21/2010)....

I used to go crazy if I didn't get my yearly fix....but I'm getting over it. Somehow I don't feel like it's worth it anymore. Jimmy's pretty much on cruise control dishing out mediocrity...and why not? We're lucky he's still doing it. He could be retired, he doesn't need us anymore. I used to look forward to the stage set-ups on each tour (the Havana Daydreamin' tour with the old Havana backdrop and the seaplane that came out on stage. I remember the giant shark that would come out over the crowd). Now it's simple, boring, predictable. I even know what he's going to talk about between songs. Just rehashed stories. I hate to sound so negative, cause I love Jimmy. My all time favorite artist. I have the wonderful memories of great tailgates and great shows. Great people connections with a shared love of the music. Times change and things move on. I'm still forever grateful that he's still out there. There is still a little bit of that magic on the new record....and there's more money in my pocket since he's not in my town doing a show.

1ST CONCERT: SAT. AUG 6, 1988 - PACIFIC AMPHITHEATRE, COSTA MESA, CA - LOGE 11 SEC 2 ROW U SEAT 42 $20.35
SHOWS: DAVID-31, STEFANIA-27, SHANE-11, EMMA KATE-7
PARROT HEAD SINCE 1985

STL Parrot
Gypsies in the palace
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with Rum

Post by STL Parrot »

daddymention wrote:Well it's been over 2 years since he's played San Diego (3/10/2012)...not counting the Belly Up show that was impossible to get tickets for...and even longer for Irvine (10/21/2010)....

I used to go crazy if I didn't get my yearly fix....but I'm getting over it. Somehow I don't feel like it's worth it anymore. Jimmy's pretty much on cruise control dishing out mediocrity...and why not? We're lucky he's still doing it. He could be retired, he doesn't need us anymore. I used to look forward to the stage set-ups on each tour (the Havana Daydreamin' tour with the old Havana backdrop and the seaplane that came out on stage. I remember the giant shark that would come out over the crowd). Now it's simple, boring, predictable. I even know what he's going to talk about between songs. Just rehashed stories. I hate to sound so negative, cause I love Jimmy. My all time favorite artist. I have the wonderful memories of great tailgates and great shows. Great people connections with a shared love of the music. Times change and things move on. I'm still forever grateful that he's still out there. There is still a little bit of that magic on the new record....and there's more money in my pocket since he's not in my town doing a show.
I'm right there with you. No STL show again this year (even though the last two times he played, the place was packed.) I'm to the point now where if he comes, he comes. If not, we move on. My summer schedule is not built around when Jimmy is coming to town. if he comes and it works with my schedule they I will go.

Let him continue to go to the places where his fans complain about the concert date, when the concert announcement is made, what venue the show's at, the set list, etc.

keynorthwestprthd
Gypsies in the palace
Favorite Buffett Song: Savannah Fare You Well
Number of Concerts: 3
Favorite Boat Drink: Mango Margarita

Post by keynorthwestprthd »

At the last Seattle show he mentioned needing to come back and play the Gorge. Looks like that it not happening this year.

FINSUPinIdaho
License to Chill

Post by FINSUPinIdaho »

Don't hold your breathe about the Gorge. Been waiting since after the '97 show for him to come back. Sadly, people will never know how awesome those 2 shows were. Jimmy flying in on his plane and circling the campground and then landing on the river....man oh man that was fun!

And Daddy nailed it. My thoughts exactly.

CraziFuzzy
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by CraziFuzzy »

Used to hit his so cal show every year, or twice a year back when he came around that often. Hell, my first Buffett shows was at Glen Helen in 92 and 94, which is an AMAZING location. It was then years of Irvine, usually twice a year (May and October).. then Irvine jammed between the Vegas shows... the just Vegas... no nothing. I am so done with Vegas. I enjoy the parking lot more than the concert, and the vegas parties, even before getting crammed in the pool, are just a screwed up mess of money sucking. Horrible beer and ridiculous margaritas sold under easy ups to pad Jimmy's wallet - nothing like a true tailgating experience. I had no Buffett last year, as it simply wasn't worth the money or time, and I am sure I'll have no Buffett this year.

LiveandletLiver
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: I'll get back to you on this
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Diet Coke (sucks don't it)

Post by LiveandletLiver »

Add to this the fact that Irvine PD virtually made the pre-concert dry the last year it really put a damper on the fun. Gestapo tactics like sending under cover people out to bust people with liquor were way over the top. I had set up a Tiki Bar and had to keep all of the drinks in the back of my truck. I was planning on giving out shots and just having fun.

Not so much.

CraziFuzzy
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by CraziFuzzy »

Hey, as a bonus, he's announced some silly drive-in movie theater live-stream concert.. so I'm thinking, that's cool - Cali's got more operating drive-in theaters than any other state, we should be good. Yeah, only a single location involved, and it's in northern California. In fact, there's only two west of the rockies! I think I'm officially done.

SoCal Parrothead
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 61
Favorite Boat Drink: Sierra Nevada

Post by SoCal Parrothead »

Living in SoCal, A part of me of me does miss the Irvine shows. However, if you recall, during the early 2000's, the Irvine pre-party was nothing compared to the 90s. One year, the riot police busted up the tailgate party. As a result, Buffett played at the Pond for a few years. When Buffett returned to Irvine, he played on a Thursday night. Undboutedly,throughout the years, the conservative community of Irvine got fed up with the Parrotheads.

As for the SD shows, well, they were/are like the Buffett pre-parties of the 90s at Irvine. They do not charge a fortune to park an RV and the police essentially let the crowd have fun.

As for Vegas. For me, Vegas is the happiest place to be. That is, of course, if you like drinking, gambling, and all the other debuachery associated with Sin City. For the past few years, we have made Vegas our annual October reunion. I mean, what more could you ask for? Yea, it turns out to be an expensive weekend, but in the end, the stories we can tell are priceless. For me, a Buffett show in Vegas is like a game 7 in sports. People come from all over the country to have fun and behave like college kids for a weekend.

CraziFuzzy
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by CraziFuzzy »

I don't know, I have had a blast every year in irvine, and not had a problem with the cops - whether we were on foot, in the cars, or with the motorhome in the rv section. no, it wasn't as crazy as Chula Vista, but it was a hell of a lot more fun than Vegas. I really can't stand the vegas pre-party (and I'm talking about not just the pool, but the alley as well). The absolute best venue in SoCal that Jimmy has played at is Devore/Glen Helen/Blockbuster/San Manuel/whatever it's called next. The best part of a buffett show is the tailgating, and the ability for the parrot heads to create their OWN party. Glen Helen has a huge parking lot (well, it's mostly dirt, but like that matters). The lawn is completely insane size wise (not the packed meat-locker of chula vista or irvine's lawns). The best seats at any buffet show are the lawn, so the concert is going to be best where the best lawn is.

I've heard he doesn't play irvine anymore because of issues with the ownership, which makes no sense. Just about every major venue in the united states is owned and operated by Live Nation Entertainment (including over half of his announced tour dates) - who also own irvine, glen helen, and chula vista.

arizonalandshark
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: A Pirate
Number of Concerts: 5

Post by arizonalandshark »

I agree with a lot of these comments, but as I drove down the road in the Arizona heat today, I still found myself on this site, looking for rumors and checking to see if the October dates had come out. I went to the Chula Vista show in October '09 and if he's not back to PHX this fall, I'll be hoping for Chula Vista. The suspense is building...