Moderator: SMLCHNG

Nighthawk
I gotta go where it's warm
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 29
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum with a splash of coke

Hey Jimmy..... A Petition for Chicago

Post by Nighthawk »

This year is the 30th anniversary of your good friend, Steve Goodman's passing. I think in honor of him, you need to dedicate ONE of your two sets to him. You have covered many of his songs in concerts from coast to coast.

It's not only a cool thing to do, but the right thing to do. So many of his songs have been enjoyed by the masses, whether it was done by you or Steve.

Just keep in mind, when you stepped up to take his place at Wrigley before the NLCS in 1984 to sing the National Anthem, you were also keeping his memory alive in Chicago for years and years, and YEARS to come.
Did you hear the one about me being a punk?
Did you hear the one about me being a drunk?
Did you hear the one about me losing my nerve?
Or how I'm just another f**** sheep in the herd?
Did you hear the one about me giving a s***?
Cause if I ever did I don't remember it.
tpspuck
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 62

Re: Hey Jimmy..... A Petition for Chicago

Post by tpspuck »

I could not agree more. I was the young "Brat of a kid" that use to go to Cub's games with Steve. His father Bud and my father were very close friends and business associates at Clark Maple Chevy. I would get dropped off at Steve's place (I believe it was either Grace or Wayne streets in Lakeview/Wrigleyville) and would go to games with him and usually whoever was sleeping on his couch - I may have even met Jimmy because he was a regular on the couch from what I have been told. At the time, my father and Bud used to say Steve was a "Jingle Writer"....I had no clue.....