Alpine Reopening

The latest rumors and confirmed dates

Moderator: SMLCHNG

tropicalmindset
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH, Island, Boat Drinks, Growing Older, Bama Breeze, Last Mango
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Jack with a splash of coke

Re: Alpine Reopening

Post by tropicalmindset »

boatdrinks84 wrote: January 30, 2018 11:50 am I think there’s still hope for Alpine. There’s no way he’s going to draw 43,000 at Wrigley on a Friday. It’s certainly not going to pull in the Wisconsin crowd and it’s not going to pull in the Chicago crowd who will make the drive to Alpine anyway.

July 14th at Wrigley is Def Leppard/Journey. They’re not going to be a huge draw either. I think the scheduling is just an attempt to get a second use out of the venue without having to tear down production.

I think the telling part will be what they expect to draw and whether or not they even try to sell the upper level of Wrigley. If draw is only ~15-20k, maybe even 25, that sets up for an Alpine show.

I'm still a little skeptical myself here. I just find it a little odd that he's playing a Friday show, announced before his normal summer tour stops (ie June leg of the tour), and that it has not been announced on Margaritaville.com, nor Jimmy's FB page
2012 - Chicago (Tinley Park)
2013 - Alpine Valley
2014 - Alpine Valley
2015 - Alpine Valley
2016 - Alpine Valley
2017 - Chicago (Wrigley Field)
2018 - Chicago (Wrigley Field)
2019 - Alpine Valley
2022 - Alpine Valley
boatdrinks84
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: They Don't Dance Like Carmen No More
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Hurricane

Post by boatdrinks84 »

tropicalmindset wrote: January 30, 2018 11:53 am
boatdrinks84 wrote: January 30, 2018 11:50 am I think there’s still hope for Alpine. There’s no way he’s going to draw 43,000 at Wrigley on a Friday. It’s certainly not going to pull in the Wisconsin crowd and it’s not going to pull in the Chicago crowd who will make the drive to Alpine anyway.

July 14th at Wrigley is Def Leppard/Journey. They’re not going to be a huge draw either. I think the scheduling is just an attempt to get a second use out of the venue without having to tear down production.

I think the telling part will be what they expect to draw and whether or not they even try to sell the upper level of Wrigley. If draw is only ~15-20k, maybe even 25, that sets up for an Alpine show.

I'm still a little skeptical myself here. I just find it a little odd that he's playing a Friday show, announced before his normal summer tour stops (ie June leg of the tour), and that it has not been announced on Margaritaville.com, nor Jimmy's FB page
Gives Wrigley a chance to build up hype and sell. Alpine is usually one of the last shows announced. We’ll just have to wait it out.
PeoriaTom
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: West Nashville Grand Ballroom Gown
Number of Concerts: 5

Post by PeoriaTom »

Obviously, I hope he sells out every show, and I'd also like to go to Alpine ... but why do you think it'd be such a bad draw at Wrigley? I know it's a Friday, but those are easy to take off, and they sold the place out last year with sky-high prices ... I'd think with slightly lower prices, they'd easily push 40,000 and maybe sell out again.
Past Concerts:
Saturday 6/28/2003 - East Troy, WI
Tuesday 4/17/2012 - Des Moines, IA
Saturday 7/25/2016 - Tinley Park, IL
Saturday 7/15/2017 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field)
Tuesday 5/22/2018 - Des Moines, IA
Friday 7/13/2018 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field)

Upcoming:
Saturday 7/20 - Alpine Valley!
tropicalmindset
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH, Island, Boat Drinks, Growing Older, Bama Breeze, Last Mango

boatdrinks84 wrote: January 30, 2018 11:58 am

Gives Wrigley a chance to build up hype and sell. Alpine is usually one of the last shows announced. We’ll just have to wait it out.

The problem with waiting out though is if we don't get an Alpine show after all, it'll be April or May before we know for sure. Which leaves for very few decent seats available at Wrigley
2013 - Alpine Valley
2014 - Alpine Valley
2015 - Alpine Valley
2016 - Alpine Valley
2019 - Alpine Valley
2022 - Alpine Valley
boatdrinks84
I have found me a home

Post by boatdrinks84 »

PeoriaTom wrote: January 30, 2018 12:02 pm

Obviously, I hope he sells out every show, and I'd also like to go to Alpine ... but why do you think it'd be such a bad draw at Wrigley? I know it's a Friday, but those are easy to take off, and they sold the place out last year with sky-high prices ... I'd think with slightly lower prices, they'd easily push 40,000 and maybe sell out again.
A few different reasons. Namely, I think the Friday date does have a significant impact, especially on people traveling. I don’t think people who disliked Wrigley or were on the fence about how they felt about it will go back for the price. I don’t think people who missed tailgating will go back. And I think Cubs hype really helped drive ticket sales last year.

Wrigley wasn’t a turn-off on the level of Northerly Island in 2013, but I don’t think it was as huge of a hit as some people made it out to be either. I think we’ll have a better idea of what will happen in a few days time, but right now I feel like putting 43,000 people in seats on that date is a stretch.
boatdrinks84
I have found me a home

Post by boatdrinks84 »

tropicalmindset wrote: January 30, 2018 12:06 pm
boatdrinks84 wrote: January 30, 2018 11:58 am

The problem with waiting out though is if we don't get an Alpine show after all, it'll be April or May before we know for sure. Which leaves for very few decent seats available at Wrigley
There are few decent seats at Wrigley even when availability is good.
stefanhoffman
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: We are the people & 12 volt man
Number of Concerts: 16
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark Rum

Post by stefanhoffman »

kjb231 wrote: January 30, 2018 10:26 am
stefanhoffman wrote: January 29, 2018 6:47 pm I just booked a room at the Alpine Valley Resort. They wouldn't confirm it, but they also heard Jimmy is coming that weekend. Fins Up!
I wouldn't trust the resort too much but I hope I'm wrong. Our group has been going to Buffet since his Summerfest days and last year was the first summer we hadn't seen him since the mid 90's, so I very much hope that it's true that he's coming. However, having worked at the resort for years, I can tell you that they are not affiliated with the music theater at all and know very little about the goings on up there. The only contact we ever really had with the amphitheater is when they needed to water the hill (their water ran off the same pumps as the ski hill/golf course so they needed us to start up our pumps when they wanted to water the lawn seats.) But like I said, I hope I'm wrong because we will not be going to Wrigley.
Too bad. I was looking forward to my first Alpine show. :(
BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Post by BottleofRum »

An argument against this is they will market the crap out of the Wrigley show to get it sold until the day of the concert so they won't know the final ticket sales until the show actually happens or a projection a week or so ahead of time. Which means any theoretically Apline show scheduled to supplement lost Wrigley ticket sales would not be announced until later in June/July at the earliest. And I'm guessing that they again have a contract stipulation that he can't play at Apline or anywhere in the area or they can't announce he is playing another venue in the area until after the Wrigley show. With just 90 miles separating Alpine and Wrigley Field I think it is highly unlikely any Apline show announcement is happening this year.
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”
PeoriaTom
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: West Nashville Grand Ballroom Gown
Number of Concerts: 5

Post by PeoriaTom »

boatdrinks84 wrote: January 30, 2018 12:12 pm
PeoriaTom wrote: January 30, 2018 12:02 pm

A few different reasons. Namely, I think the Friday date does have a significant impact, especially on people traveling. I don’t think people who disliked Wrigley or were on the fence about how they felt about it will go back for the price. I don’t think people who missed tailgating will go back. And I think Cubs hype really helped drive ticket sales last year.

Wrigley wasn’t a turn-off on the level of Northerly Island in 2013, but I don’t think it was as huge of a hit as some people made it out to be either. I think we’ll have a better idea of what will happen in a few days time, but right now I feel like putting 43,000 people in seats on that date is a stretch.
I guess. :( I hope you're wrong, though, as I'll be there! It would be such a bummer to see Jimmy out there in front of anything less than about 35,000. :( :(
Past Concerts:
Saturday 6/28/2003 - East Troy, WI
Tuesday 4/17/2012 - Des Moines, IA
Saturday 7/25/2016 - Tinley Park, IL
Saturday 7/15/2017 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field)
Tuesday 5/22/2018 - Des Moines, IA
Friday 7/13/2018 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field)

Upcoming:
Saturday 7/20 - Alpine Valley!
BottleOfRum&aLime
I have found me a home
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in my hand

Post by BottleOfRum&aLime »

I know I've read before that Wrigley always puts a no-compete clause in their contracts, and that Alpine falls under that clause. That's what I've heard when Buffett played there, as well as Zac Brown Band, who opted to go to Milwaukee which presumably is outside the no-compete area. Does anyone here know definitively if that's true?
Give me some words I can dance to, or a melody that rhymes
tropicalmindset

BottleOfRum&aLime wrote: January 30, 2018 12:48 pm I know I've read before that Wrigley always puts a no-compete clause in their contracts, and that Alpine falls under that clause. That's what I've heard when Buffett played there, as well as Zac Brown Band, who opted to go to Milwaukee which presumably is outside the no-compete area. Does anyone here know definitively if that's true?
Zac Brown is playing Alpine this year, two shows mid August. The no-compete clause may just apply to shows that are scheduled at Wrigley during the year
2013 - Alpine Valley
2014 - Alpine Valley
2015 - Alpine Valley
2016 - Alpine Valley
2019 - Alpine Valley
2022 - Alpine Valley
BottleOfRum&aLime
I have found me a home
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in my hand

Post by BottleOfRum&aLime »

tropicalmindset wrote: January 30, 2018 12:52 pm
BottleOfRum&aLime wrote: January 30, 2018 12:48 pm I know I've read before that Wrigley always puts a no-compete clause in their contracts, and that Alpine falls under that clause. That's what I've heard when Buffett played there, as well as Zac Brown Band, who opted to go to Milwaukee which presumably is outside the no-compete area. Does anyone here know definitively if that's true?
Zac Brown is playing Alpine this year, two shows mid August. The no-compete clause may just apply to shows that are scheduled at Wrigley during the year
Yeah, sorry, should have been more specific. ZBB played Summerfest and Wrigley last year. Did the same in 2014 and 2015. They played Alpine and Tinley in 2013, 2016, and again this year. Same holds true for Jimmy wrt Alpine vs Wrigley. Since he's playing Wrigley, Alpine is not going to happen. And that sucks.
Give me some words I can dance to, or a melody that rhymes
tropicalmindset

BottleOfRum&aLime wrote: January 30, 2018 1:49 pm
Yeah, sorry, should have been more specific. ZBB played Summerfest and Wrigley last year. Did the same in 2014 and 2015. They played Alpine and Tinley in 2013, 2016, and again this year. Same holds true for Jimmy wrt Alpine vs Wrigley. Since he's playing Wrigley, Alpine is not going to happen. And that sucks.

It definitely does. Was really hoping for the true Buffett expierience this summer, after going to Wrigley last year. Might just take a road trip to Cincinatti if Alpine really does not get a concert this year
2013 - Alpine Valley
2014 - Alpine Valley
2015 - Alpine Valley
2016 - Alpine Valley
2019 - Alpine Valley
2022 - Alpine Valley
Mplsfins
If we weren't all crazy ...
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Mplsfins »

I know that most venues have a no compete clause withing a certain radius which is usually about 200 miles or so. It is also in a specific time frame. Last summer I watched Slayer open up their tour in Bemidji. I asked Gary Holt and their road manager why up here instead of the Twin Cities. I was told that because they were doing shows down 94 in Wisconsin Sommerset, Madison, Chicago, the initial date had to be further away. So they picked the Sanford Center in Bemidji. Which I may add was a killer place to watch this show.
So, if Wrigley which I am sure has that no compete clause, Jimmy could play Alpine just not within the same time frame. And, it would have to be announced well after Wrigley tickets went on sale. Don't give up hope yet. If the $$$ is enough, he will find a way.
wiscoleeds1
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 22

Post by wiscoleeds1 »

Def Leppard and Journey are playing both Wrigley and Summerfest and the distance is no different than Wrigley and Alpine Valley so wouldn't there be the same no-compete clause in effect?
tropicalmindset

wiscoleeds1 wrote: January 31, 2018 9:24 am
Def Leppard and Journey are playing both Wrigley and Summerfest and the distance is no different than Wrigley and Alpine Valley so wouldn't there be the same no-compete clause in effect?
I like your thinking....

Def Leppard and Journey are in Milwaukee on July 4th, then Wrigley on July 14th.

If they can get that clause waived... couldn't Jimmy if he really wanted too?
2013 - Alpine Valley
2014 - Alpine Valley
2015 - Alpine Valley
2016 - Alpine Valley
2019 - Alpine Valley
2022 - Alpine Valley
shakes2070
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Little Miss Magic
Number of Concerts: 25

Post by shakes2070 »

Everything is negotiable.
coralreefer
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Cuban Crime of Passion, False Echoes, Desdamona's Building a Rocket Sh
Number of Concerts: 35
Favorite Boat Drink: painkillers while sailing the BVIs

Post by coralreefer »

Mplsfins wrote: January 12, 2018 3:22 pm I have heard through some very reliable people the Alpine show will be September 1st Labor Day weekend.
And what are those people saying today?
coralreefer
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Cuban Crime of Passion, False Echoes, Desdamona's Building a Rocket Sh
Number of Concerts: 35
Favorite Boat Drink: painkillers while sailing the BVIs

Post by coralreefer »

Nope, someone just threw that out there a couple of years ago and everybody took it as gospel. There may be such a clause, but nobody has ever come up with anything substantial to prove this, only conjecture. I, for one, have my doubts about any of it and feel more or less its Jimmy knowing his audience. He knows if he puts 40k butts in Wrigley, the attendance at Alpine will be very poor as he just doesn't have the audience size he once did. Heck, the last two shows he did at Alpine were very poorly attended (I think around 20k or so IIRC) and that was without the huge Wrigley shows. A lot of those Wrigley attendees would have have been Alpine attendees had there not been a Wrigley show. But, probably most of them would not go to Alpine after already doing Wrigley leading to even a sparser attendance numbers.

The bottom line is, he can sell out Wrigley for various reasons (venue, location not in the middle of nowhere, easy to get to, etc.) whereas he can't sell out Alpine anymore due to those and probably other reasons as well. Jimmy is first and foremost a business man, don't doubt that for a second, and he will play where the money is which unfortunately is Wrigley. Its sad because I have seen every Jimmy show at Alpine since 95, I believe. The atmosphere there is second to none. After seeing a few shows in Wrigley (not Buffett) I will not be back for concerts. Unless you get floor seats right by the stage your seats are way far away, the sound is poor, no tailgating, and the bars are over crowded and ridiculous with their drink prices. I understood last year with Alpine not having any shows at all, but now two years in a row has me worried that Jimmy may have played his last show at Alpine. I really hope not, but it sure seems that way to me.
BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Post by BottleofRum »

shakes2070 wrote: January 31, 2018 10:19 am Everything is negotiable.
Each place has their own clauses for shows within a certain radius so I doubt it is Jimmy Buffett clause he puts in himself. The Wrigley Field people know if he was doing both Apline and Wrigley this summer Wrigley would struggle to fill half their seats. In other areas he has done shows that are well within 200 miles of each other. Great Woods is just 75 miles from Mohegan Sun and he has played at both places in the past, sometimes in the same week. He has also done Mohegan Sun and Jones Beach which are about 125 miles apart in the same summer.

But the Northeast is a bit different, he has played a lot of shows that are with a 2-3 hour drive apart from each other.
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”