Our discussion board has been updated to a newer version. If you have a problem with viewing try clearing your browser's cache and refresh.

Fenway 2018 (ugh)

The latest rumors and confirmed dates

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Fenway 2018 (ugh)

Post by lime rickie » January 1, 2018 11:11 am

From the Nashville NYE show recap on the front page:

"During the show Jimmy Buffett said he will be performing at Fenway Park in Boston in 2018 with Huey Lewis."
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Re: Fenway 2018 (ugh)

Post by BottleofRum » January 1, 2018 12:04 pm

I thought it was the other way around, Huey said he'd be playing with Buffett at Fenway in 2018. Same difference though. Looks like a road trip Buffett show for me in 2018. terrible idea. He was barley selling out Great Woods (19K) how they hell will he sell twice as many tickets for Fenway with no tailgating.
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk

Post by lime rickie » January 1, 2018 12:16 pm

BottleofRum wrote:
January 1, 2018 12:04 pm
I thought it was the other way around, Huey said he'd be playing with Buffett at Fenway in 2018. Same difference though. Looks like a road trip Buffett show for me in 2018. terrible idea. He was barley selling out Great Woods (19K) how they hell will he sell twice as many tickets for Fenway with no tailgating.
I knew you'd be in here quickly but I thought with the very thorough analysis of the Red Sox schedule v. possible show dates. :lol:

Agree with your assessment, I do not get the logic, other than Jimmy has an affinity for ball parks? If it's time for smaller venues then just play smaller venues. It's not like there aren't other smaller outdoor options around New England, e.g. Tanglewood, Meadowbrook, Thompson's, etc.

tailgaitingph
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: Changes in latitude....
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Whipped cream RUM

Post by tailgaitingph » January 1, 2018 12:46 pm

So do you guys think he is skipping GW this year or will he do both?
Just trying to participate and make SP proud

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk

Post by lime rickie » January 1, 2018 12:54 pm

Can't see him doing both, at least not those two. Maybe Fenway and HoB.

BottleofRum

Post by BottleofRum » January 1, 2018 1:02 pm

I heard the Fenway info last night and sent Jon a belligerent, explicit filled text message right away LOL....

I have received nothing from the Red Sox regarding a Buffett concert in 2018. Usually by now season ticket holders know about all the upcoming Fenway shows and tickets are put on sale well ahead of time so it could be a later summer show.

And a Tanglewood show would be awesome but I can't see that happening. With their policy of allowing people to bring in food, booze, chairs etc onto the Lawn that would make for an interesting day. But I'd love to see to happen.

And no chance he does Fenway and GW. I can see a Fenway and Moheagan Sun combo or Fenway and Bangor, Maine combo. HOB would be nice too.
Last edited by BottleofRum on January 1, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH » January 1, 2018 1:25 pm

I haven't been to a New England show since I moved south. If he plays Fenway, that streak would definitely continue.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

Thethirstygator
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: The one about drinkin'
Number of Concerts: 25

Post by Thethirstygator » January 1, 2018 2:45 pm

Have heard from 4-5 people who work @ GW that Buffett isn't playing there this year. Sucks

drunkpirate66
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 » January 1, 2018 4:46 pm

My guess is this show takes place on 8/25 but I know nothing Jon Snow.

Whatever the date I will not be there. Fenway was fun once (well, twice . . . I went to both shows in 2004). Can't imagine he'll be doing 2 shows again so me thinks this will land on a Saturday.

I also can't imagine why he is doing this other than he is bored with GW or that he has plans to put a Margaritaville in Boston.

If he does HOB - I will go to that.

Otherwise, I will wait to the tour is released in full and find a place that has a tailgate with a parking lot that opens early. Might have to head back down to Cinci town.
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .

tigzoe
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: It's My Job
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with alcohol

Post by tigzoe » January 2, 2018 1:32 am

drunkpirate66 wrote:
January 1, 2018 4:46 pm

Whatever the date I will not be there. Fenway was fun once (well, twice . . . I went to both shows in 2004). Can't imagine he'll be doing 2 shows again so me thinks this will land on a Saturday.

I also can't imagine why he is doing this other than he is bored with GW or that he has plans to put a Margaritaville in Boston.

Otherwise, I will wait to the tour is released in full and find a place that has a tailgate with a parking lot that opens early. Might have to head back down to Cinci town.
Not too sure about the 25th. Kenny Chesney is in Foxboro that weekend. The past few years, he has done the weekend before. Sorry, but I wish the show was part of The Eagles tour.
"That which is around me does not affect my mood; my mood affects that which is around me."
Image ImageImage.

drunkpirate66
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 » January 2, 2018 6:27 am

tigzoe wrote:
January 2, 2018 1:32 am
drunkpirate66 wrote:

Not too sure about the 25th. Kenny Chesney is in Foxboro that weekend. The past few years, he has done the weekend before. Sorry, but I wish the show was part of The Eagles tour.
There are only so many Saturdays that the Red Sox aren't home. They are playing the Rays on Saturday the 18th at Fenway. Perhaps 8/11/. The weekend of July 21st is booked for Foo Fighters already. Who knows? Who cares?

A little Great Woods history for those new to the party. Great Woods Jimmy Buffett was an event. I mean truly an event. Especially in the 1990s but it carried over into the 2000s as well. 2003 was epic. I mean lawn seats being sold for hundreds (I mean well into the hundreds) of dollars. People were there at dawn and they might still be there 14 - 15 years later. In short it was amazing. Those who were there know what I am talking about. Then Buffett played Fenway in 2004 (fun time, sure. But not the same) . . . . then came the infamous Monday Wednesday year and eventually Gillette Stadium and then 11 pm parking lot opening time when Buffett returned to Great Woods . . . . then 1pm . . . and now Fenway. Done and done.
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .

Saltx3
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 21
Favorite Boat Drink: MARGARITA, FIREBALL WHISKEY

Post by Saltx3 » January 2, 2018 7:05 am

uhoh....guessing our trips north to see JB and our BN friends (Almost more important) are over.
SALT, SALT, SALT/Linda

Dr.Corona
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona » January 2, 2018 7:10 am

BottleofRum wrote:
January 1, 2018 12:04 pm
Probably feeling like it will go down similar to Detroit Comerica Park shows. Sell field level tix and close to field at crazy prices, then sell nosebleeds & far away seats on Groupon for $20 to fill up rest of stadium. Concession sales make it profitable for venue...
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image

TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 78
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama » January 2, 2018 8:41 am

i wonder , if having the gates open at 1 last year at GW was a factor. I know it was his call on that last year. I'll go to Fenway . The only thing is Hotels won't be cheap , and it becomes a expensive day , when you have to pay for drinks and food.

BottleofRum

Post by BottleofRum » January 2, 2018 10:34 am

With the Sox at home on Thursday 8/23 then back home on Tuesday 8/28 I doubt they'd have enough time to get Fenway concert ready to do a show on Saturday the 25th and I don't think they'd dare try to go head to head with Kenny Chesney. They also like to do more than one concert so once they have everything setup so I can see them doing it Friday, July 27th 8pm or Sunday, July 29th and having it like a 4pm-ish start time. The Foo Fighters have a Fenway show the day before at Fenway.

The 2004 Fenway shows were fun, it was a new thing but it was expensive to be at one of the bars all day, tailgating was not allowed, the sound was awful, and Boston has some of the highest hotel rates in the country. Wit hotel, tickets, bar tabs I'll use that money and travel to another city to see Buffett.

boatdrinks84
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: They Don't Dance Like Carmen No More
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Hurricane

Post by boatdrinks84 » January 2, 2018 11:22 am

Exact same situation we’re in our in Chicago. No tailgating at Wrigley, overpriced/overcrowded bars, poor sound, poor sightlines.

But (and maybe the World Series win had something to do with it), he sold out Wrigley at a capacity of ~43,000, whereas the outdoor venues in the suburbs can seat 28-30,000 and never are sellouts. Money talks, so if he’s nearly doubling attendance with higher ticket prices to boot, then I won’t be surprised if he ends up at Wrigley again.

TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 78
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama » January 2, 2018 12:11 pm

drunkpirate66 wrote:
January 2, 2018 6:27 am
tigzoe wrote:
January 2, 2018 1:32 am
drunkpirate66 wrote:

There are only so many Saturdays that the Red Sox aren't home. They are playing the Rays on Saturday the 18th at Fenway. Perhaps 8/11/. The weekend of July 21st is booked for Foo Fighters already. Who knows? Who cares?

A little Great Woods history for those new to the party. Great Woods Jimmy Buffett was an event. I mean truly an event. Especially in the 1990s but it carried over into the 2000s as well. 2003 was epic. I mean lawn seats being sold for hundreds (I mean well into the hundreds) of dollars. People were there at dawn and they might still be there 14 - 15 years later. In short it was amazing. Those who were there know what I am talking about. Then Buffett played Fenway in 2004 (fun time, sure. But not the same) . . . . then came the infamous Monday Wednesday year and eventually Gillette Stadium and then 11 pm parking lot opening time when Buffett returned to Great Woods . . . . then 1pm . . . and now Fenway. Done and done.
Looking at the Red Sox Schedule ... other then the Foo Fighter weekend....the longest road trips are June 11th - June 21st , June 29th - July 8th , Aug 6th - Aug 16th , Aug. 30th - Sept 6th. Fenway has done more then one weekend of concerts the last few years. Also The last time Buffett played Fenway i want to say was in Sept ( Unless i'm confusing it with Gillette). Let the fun begin!!!

BottleofRum

Post by BottleofRum » January 2, 2018 1:41 pm

In 2004 he played at Fenway Friday Sept 10, 8pm and Sunday Sept 12, 6pm. The last few years Fenway has hosted about 6 concerts a year. Here is the full list since they started hosting concerts in 2003. With a few exceptions they double or triple up shows over a span of a few days.

Bruce Springsteen - Sept. 6-7, 2003
Jimmy Buffett - Sept. 10 and 12, 2004
The Rolling Stones - Aug. 21 and 23, 2005
Dave Matthews Band - July 7-8, 2006
The Police - July 28-29, 2007
Neil Diamond - Aug. 23, 2008
Dave Matthews Band - May 29-30, 2009
Phish - May 31, 2009
Paul McCartney - Aug. 5-6, 2009
Aerosmith - Aug. 14, 2010
New Kids on the Block and Backstreet Boys - June 11, 2011
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Sept. 8-9, 2011
Roger Waters - July 1, 2012
Bruce Springsteen - Aug. 14-15, 2012
Paul McCartney - July 9, 2013
Jason Aldean - July 12-13, 2013
Justin Timberlake and Jay Z - Aug. 10-11, 2013
Billy Joel - June 26, 2014
Zac Brown Band - June 27-28, 2014
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Aug. 30, 2014
Billy Joel - July 16, 2015
Foo Fighters - July 18-19, 2015
James Taylor - Aug. 6, 2015
Zac Brown Band - Aug. 7-9, 2015
Dead and Company - July 15-16, 2016
Paul McCartney - July 17, 2016
James Taylor with Jackson Browne - Aug. 3, 2016
Pearl Jam - Aug. 5 and 7, 2016
Billy Joel - Aug. 18, 2016
Zac Brown Band - Aug. 20-21, 2016
Jason Aldean with Kid Rock - Sept. 9-10, 2016
Dead and Company - June 17-18, 2017
Florida Georgia Line with Nelly, Chris Lane, and Backstreet Boys - July 7, 2017
New Kids on the Block with Paula Abdul and Boyz II Men - July 8, 2017
James Taylor with Bonnie Raitt - Aug. 11, 2017
Billy Joel - Aug. 30, 2017
Lady Gaga - Sept. 1-2, 2017

MDShark70
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 90
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in my hand
Location: Southeast of Disorder, Near the Port of Indecision, so you know, Maryland

Post by MDShark70 » January 2, 2018 2:44 pm

Well crap. I doubt I'm traveling north for a stadium show. What a bummer.
It was too much tequila . . . . or not quite enough.

irshfiregrl
I gotta go where it's warm
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration
Number of Concerts: 110
Favorite Boat Drink: 1800 coconut tequila

Post by irshfiregrl » January 2, 2018 4:27 pm

This defiantly sucks on a whole lotta levels. Planning on a party bus due to the lack of tailgating and shitty city parking. I'm guessing June 16th... my sister has bets on Aug 11th.... only time will tell.
"I'm just hangin on while this ole world keeps spinning, and its good to know its out of my control. If there's one thing that Ive learned from all this living,is that It wouldn't change a thing if I let go"

24 years but I've hit triple digits !