The latest rumors and confirmed dates

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Fineas
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate
Number of Concerts: 40

Great Woods - 2018

Post by Fineas »

Yeah, yeah, I know what he said New Year's Eve. We can dream and hope though, right? Maybe if we all pray hard enough and say "Great Woods in 2018" 3 times while holding our margarita glasses in the air, it'll happen. Can hurt!

Fins up!
Chip
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: A Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita of course!

Re: Great Woods - 2018

Post by Chip »

So it's a new year and I'm poking around looking to see what the GW rumors are for 2018.
What was said at the New Years show that might indicate something other than a return this year?
I made enough money to buy Miami but I pi$$ed it away so fast
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

Huey Lewis said he would be playing at Fenway Park with Buffett.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
Scubadive17
Favorite Buffett Song: Trying to reason with hurricane season
Number of Concerts: 17

Post by Scubadive17 »

What did he say on New Years?
Scubadive17
Favorite Buffett Song: Trying to reason with hurricane season
Number of Concerts: 17

Post by Scubadive17 »

What did he say on New Years?
urlcenter
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 6

Post by urlcenter »

Scubadive17 wrote: February 1, 2018 10:16 pm What did he say on New Years?
Huey Lewis said he and Jimmy would be at Fenway this Summer
fisherno5
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Jolly Mon
Number of Concerts: 20

Post by fisherno5 »

Skip Fenway....come back to Great Woods! Can I go a little crazy and ask for an August date???
BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Post by BottleofRum »

FYIW, from the early/mid-90's until 2003 Buffet played every year at Great Woods around Labor Day weekend. Starting in 2003 the golf course next door to Great Woods (which is actual in Norton, MA, GW is on the border of the two towns) starting hosting a PGA tour event and it was the start of an annual Labor Day weekend event so they needed to use the Great Woods parking lots to accommodate the golfing crowd/staging area for TV etc... In 2003 the Buffett show was already announced and tickets sold before the golf event was planned (they actually asked Buffett to move the date of his show, he refused) so both events took place at the same time which created quite an eclectic mix of people converging in Mansfield/Norton, MA that weekend. After that weekend Mansfield police and Great Woods said they would no longer have any concerts Labor Day weekend while the golf event was happening. (Hello Fenway, Gillette, and random summer show dates) Well, after 2018 things are changing, the PGA announced today the golf event would become an every other year stop in Mansfield/Norton and it would now be at the beginning of August. This likely frees up Labor Day weekend at Great Woods for concerts again.
One can dream....
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2018 ... story.html

And for my money, the two 2003 Labor Day weekend Buffett concerts at Great Woods were prob the pinnacle of any Great Woods shows. Lots opened at 7am, lawn tickets w/ a face value of $30 were selling for $200+, lots full by 10am, post concert party in the lots until the wee hours.
Last edited by BottleofRum on July 10, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

From your keyboard to Jimmy's ears! [smilie=coolup.gif]
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk

Post by lime rickie »

Labor Day 2019 weekend rates at the Red Roof Inn are $399/night. :o

Just kidding. :lol: :P

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

My last Great Woods show was in 2012, I haven't been back since I moved south. If Buffett plays there next year I might make a return trip for old times sake. :lol:
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk

Post by lime rickie »

LIPH wrote: July 10, 2018 12:16 pm My last Great Woods show was in 2012, I haven't been back since I moved south. If Buffett plays there next year I might make a return trip for old times sake. :lol:
[smilie=coolup.gif]

TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

I posted that on FB earlier this morning, i get emails from the PGA and they had the schedule out for next year. I doubt we get 2 shows, But a Labor Day weekend show, i'm all in.
BottleofRum

Post by BottleofRum »

Boston Globe article from 8/2/18 sort of implies Buffett was talked and coaxed into playing Fenway Park this year by promoter Don Law who produces many of the concerts in the Boston area for Live Nation. Maybe he'll say something about GW 2019 Thursday night.

Excerpt
Customarily, Buffett plays each summer at the Xfinity Center in Mansfield (which he still refers to as Great Woods, its original name). He’s performed there a record-setting 58 times, but was coaxed to try Fenway again by Boston promoter Don Law of Live Nation Concerts.
“Jimmy Buffett’s performances are like festivals,” Law says. “It was a blast when he did Fenway last time and we want to bring that festival atmosphere back.”

Full...
https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/2018/0 ... story.html
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”
TommyBahama
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

BottleofRum wrote: August 6, 2018 1:26 pm Boston Globe article from 8/2/18 sort of implies Buffett was talked and coaxed into playing Fenway Park this year by promoter Don Law who produces many of the concerts in the Boston area for Live Nation. Maybe he'll say something about GW 2019 Thursday night.

Excerpt
Customarily, Buffett plays each summer at the Xfinity Center in Mansfield (which he still refers to as Great Woods, its original name). He’s performed there a record-setting 58 times, but was coaxed to try Fenway again by Boston promoter Don Law of Live Nation Concerts.
“Jimmy Buffett’s performances are like festivals,” Law says. “It was a blast when he did Fenway last time and we want to bring that festival atmosphere back.”

Full...
Makes sense. I'm sure Jimmy is getting a little extra out of the deal. With all the concerts Fenway had done over the last few years. Jimmy playing there really didn't come as a surprise. Maybe part of the deal was a Labor Day weekend show next year. Just a thought.
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk

Post by lime rickie »

TommyBahama wrote: August 6, 2018 2:29 pm
BottleofRum wrote: August 6, 2018 1:26 pm Boston Globe article from 8/2/18 sort of implies Buffett was talked and coaxed into playing Fenway Park this year by promoter Don Law who produces many of the concerts in the Boston area for Live Nation. Maybe he'll say something about GW 2019 Thursday night.

Excerpt

Full...
Makes sense. I'm sure Jimmy is getting a little extra out of the deal. With all the concerts Fenway had done over the last few years. Jimmy playing there really didn't come as a surprise. Maybe part of the deal was a Labor Day weekend show next year. Just a thought.
That would be a beautiful thing.

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Post by FinsUp6835 »

I liked how it said jimmy doesn't like the business overshadowing his music. I'm still hopeful for a rarities tour before it's all said and done. I honestly think jimmy deserves it for himself
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
BottleofRum

Post by BottleofRum »

Many times in the past Jimmy has talked about his long friendship with Don Law who has been the Boston area concert promoter since the early 1990's and is now the president of Live Nation. So if Law asked him to do Fenway instead of Great Woods this year it is not surprising Jimmy listened and agreed to a Fenway show.

When Don Law organized the OneFund concert after the marathon bombing Jimmy was one of only two performs who did the concert who didn't have any direct ties to the Boston area. As the story goes Jimmy called him and said if he needed him for the concert in any way he was available. Jimmy did come up with Eric and Mac and did a few songs. After that Don Law and Jimmy put together the OneFund benefit later that summer at the Paradise Club in Boston.

Lets hope next summer Law suggests Jimmy plays at Great Woods labor day weekend. :D
Last edited by BottleofRum on August 7, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bixxx
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: thats what living is to me
Number of Concerts: 80
Favorite Boat Drink: bushwhacker/pain killer

Post by bixxx »

hey bottle of rum. where we partying this year? mrs bixxx
TommyBahama

Post by TommyBahama »

bixxx wrote: August 7, 2018 12:15 pm hey bottle of rum. where we partying this year? mrs bixxx
Patrick isn't going. I know there is something at HofB ( free) that starts at 2 , Then McGreevy's is having something starting at 4:30