Moderator: SMLCHNG

Uncle John
I have found me a home
Number of Concerts: 69
Favorite Boat Drink: Dirty Banana

Re: Wrigley Field 2018

Post by Uncle John »

msu#1 wrote: May 15, 2018 4:11 pm
tropicalmindset wrote: February 28, 2018 10:17 am Just checked to see how sales are doing for the show, and now they added a "4 pack" ticket option.

4 tickets for just under $25 a piece :o :o :o

The two posters going at each other are both in the right and both in the wrong......

Having said that., The above quote is the reason there is no Detroit show this year. Wrigley has a no compete contract until it sells out and it won't sell out this time....so no pine knob..no Alpine valley.

I like the novelty of the big shows for a couple years but now it had to stop.

I might have to go to Wrigley just to keep my Buffett streak going, been over a decade every summer at least once.

Plus I might be able to convince a couple people to live it up in Chicago like we're college big ten kids again for one weekend.
Is that actually true? He didn't sell out Wrigley last year and they had announced Pine Knob by now. I think it's true for Alpine, but Detroit is further away than Indy and he's playing there. I don't know the reason for no Detroit show, but it isn't because of Wrigley.
Some people never find it
Some... only pretend, but me:
I just want to live happily ever after every now and then
PeoriaTom
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: West Nashville Grand Ballroom Gown
Number of Concerts: 5

Post by PeoriaTom »

^ I had heard several times that Wrigley DID sell out last year, but yes: I highly doubt no Clarkston, MI show has much to do with Wrigley. It probably just didn’t work. :(

As for the poster asking about pre-concert at Wrigley, there wasn’t any tailgating. The new enclosed, grassy area outside of Wrigley was serving (expensive) beer, and it was very fun. The no tailgating SUCKS, but the Wrigleyville bars were actually very fun, and the atmosphere in the neighborhood was very cool.
Past Concerts:
Saturday 6/28/2003 - East Troy, WI
Tuesday 4/17/2012 - Des Moines, IA
Saturday 7/25/2016 - Tinley Park, IL
Saturday 7/15/2017 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field)
Tuesday 5/22/2018 - Des Moines, IA
Friday 7/13/2018 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field)

Upcoming:
Saturday 7/20 - Alpine Valley!
msu#1
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by msu#1 »

Chicago and Detroit share the west Michigan market. It's the same distance from Grand rapids to Chicago or Detroit.

Indy might not be that much farther but it's a totally different market.

Venies can write clauses for distance or specific venues.

Just because Wrigley did t have a clause last year doesn't mean they didn't put one in this year.
Lake Erie Pirate scientist
Uncle John
I have found me a home
Number of Concerts: 69
Favorite Boat Drink: Dirty Banana

Post by Uncle John »

Oh I’m sure it could be in the clause this year. I just know for certain that Wrigley did not sell out last year (I checked for tickets on the main website every single day right up until an hour before the show - it didn’t sell out). That being said, Indy is about a 3 1/2 hour drive from Chicago. Detroit is a 4 1/2-5 hour drive. How the divvy up the markets, no clue. But Pine Knob was announced and on sale last year while Wrigley had plenty of tix available. I think it’s more to do with how he now seems to do Indy every other year, he’s probably gonna start doing that with Pine Knob too. Maybe rotate them. Who knows, we’ll see next year.
Some people never find it
Some... only pretend, but me:
I just want to live happily ever after every now and then
crzyitlian
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Weather is Here, Wish You were Beautiful
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: Bacardi Banana rum with pineapple juice

Post by crzyitlian »

Noticed on Caroline Jones’ site that it now lists her performing at Wrigley on July 13. Has anyone else heard this/can confirm this? I’ve kinda enjoyed hearing her open.
2001 - Tinley Park, IL
2002 - Tinley Park, IL
2011 - Maryland Heights, MO
2012 - Tinley Park, IL
2013 - Alpine Valley
2014 - Tinley Park, IL
2015 - Maryland Heights, MO
2016 - Tinley Park, IL
2017 - Maryland Heights, MO
2017 - Wrigley Field
2018 - Wrigley Field
msu#1
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by msu#1 »

Uncle John wrote: May 21, 2018 11:41 am Oh I’m sure it could be in the clause this year. I just know for certain that Wrigley did not sell out last year (I checked for tickets on the main website every single day right up until an hour before the show - it didn’t sell out). That being said, Indy is about a 3 1/2 hour drive from Chicago. Detroit is a 4 1/2-5 hour drive. How the divvy up the markets, no clue. But Pine Knob was announced and on sale last year while Wrigley had plenty of tix available. I think it’s more to do with how he now seems to do Indy every other year, he’s probably gonna start doing that with Pine Knob too. Maybe rotate them. Who knows, we’ll see next year.
I agree with what your saying...what I was trying to point out is that Chicago and Detroit don't compete for each other's "local" market but they do compete for West Michigan and to some degree with Indy for extreme Northern Indiana.

Wrigley not selling out last year probably felt they lost to many people in South wet Michigan to the Detroit show.......which is true because it might be 2 1/2 to Chicago for those in the bottom corner opposed to 3 to 3 1/2 to Detroit but those poepke would pick pine knob over Wrigley any day.... simply legendary music shed vs a legendary ballpark. For music the shed wins Everytime even over the hallowed ivy. Plus those people probably have more friends and family in Metro Detroit than Chicago so Wrigley definitely wants to put that market down until they recoup the cost of their show
Lake Erie Pirate scientist
boatdrinks84
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: They Don't Dance Like Carmen No More
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Hurricane

Post by boatdrinks84 »

When this show was first announced, I predicted that the second straight year of Wrigley, on a Friday, a year after the World Series hype was going to be a much harder sell than 2017. That statement didn’t seem to go over very well here.

Since then we’ve seen upper level tickets going 4 for $100, tickets popping up on Groupon, tickets being posted for below face value on Stubhub, field seats still available as of this morning, and a nonstop social media blitz from Buffett’s people today trying to drum up excitement.

I sincerely hope everybody who’s going this Friday has a great time, but maybe I was on to something a few months back. Only about 50 weeks left until Tinley.