Havana Daydreamin'

Submit your review or read what other's have said about Jimmy's albums and DVDs

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Post by Guest »

Posted By Anonymous
Submit your review of the album !

Post by Guest »

Posted By Anonymous
Although recorded during his peak years, this one is a big step down from the others (especially the preceding "A-1-A"). The music is less special and the song subjects are anything from insulting to goofy to sleazy.

The songs "Captain and the Kid", "Defying Gravity", and the title track are the only ones that save the album. Sorry...

Post by Guest »

Posted By Son of a beach
Even though this album sounds country I like it.It takes balls to say "My head hurts,my feet stink,& I don't love _____"you know who.

Post by Guest »

Posted By headparrothead
This album was originally supposed to be called "Kick It In Second Wind" and instead of having "Defying Gravity", "Cliches", and "Havana Daydreamin'" it had "Please Take Your Drunken 15 Year Old Girlfriend Home", "Train to Dixie", and "Wonder Why We Ever Go Home". It was instead released as "Havana Daydreamin'". Had "Kick It In..." been released the results and popularity would probably be the same as they are for the album that saw production. "Havana Daydreamin'" is a tough album to follow A1A with. The songs are either "hit or miss", there's no in-between.
"Something So Feminine About the Mandolin", "Big Rig", and "Defying Gravity" are good examples of songs that, unfortunately, miss. "Woman Goin' Crazy on Caroline Street" is a great story song and "The Captain and the Kid" is much, much cleaner with the better production, and the crickets are a nice touch. "Cliches" is a wonderfully funny song about a mix-matched relationship between an older woman and a guy my age (29). "Kick it in Second Wind" is the perfect song to start the final set of a live show in any bar or nightclub anywhere-period. "This Hotel Room" is the best song for when you're partying it up at the Holiday Inn before you go to one of Jimmy's shows. "Havana Daydreamin'" is almost as good as "A Pirate Looks at 40"...almost, and "My Head Hurts, My Feet Stink, and I Don't Love Jesus" is the next anthem for the diehard phans. It is without a doubt the perfect song for the day after.

If "Please Take Your Drunken 15 Year Old Girlfriend Home" and "Train to Dixie" had been put on this album it would really give it a major boost. "Girlfriend" is another anthem that hops and bops like no other buffett song. "Train to Dixie" is a fantastic railroad song that also needs to be heard by the rest of the world.

score for "HD": 4 of 5 coronas
score for "PTYD15YOGH" & "Train to Dixie": 5 coronas each.

Post by Guest »

Posted By Anonymous
Though I love the albums before and after this (A1A, Changes in Latitude..) I've always had a hard time with this one. The songs seem to become more unlistenable over time. Crummy production too.

2 out of 5 coronas, I say.

Post by Guest »

Posted By ohio
Anon: please understand that 'Defying Gravity' is turning into a pledge of allegiance for a bunch of us!! Phins up!!
ParrotheadJon
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by ParrotheadJon »

Again I agree with hph although I like Defying Gravity a lot. I would have loved to see Cliches and Big Rig replaced with the two alternates hph mentioned. Havana Daydreamin' pulls a lot of weight on this one. I like "Woman Going Crazy..." more now that I've heard him explain it for the East Hampton show.
Bamafan
Under My Lone Palm

Post by Bamafan »

The title track is my favorite buffett song! Also like Woman goin crazy on caroline street, Cliches, Kick it in second wind, This hotel room! :D
Banana Wind
I need two more boat drinks

Post by Banana Wind »

One of my favorite Buffett albums. The title track's one of my favorite songs as well.
"In the morning when you rise, aren't you glad to be alive?"
PHat Matt
Changing Channels

Post by PHat Matt »

Just bought this one. Already I LOVE it! It has some GREEAT songs on it! :D :D :D
and Jimmy theres still so much to be done...
WWW Trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent
Dino69
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: One particular harbour
Number of Concerts: 2
Favorite Boat Drink: Mai Tai (@ the Pink Palace!)

Re: Havana Daydreamin'

Post by Dino69 »

ABC Records
Life as a “tire swing”
The Music Gig – May 1976
By Penelope Ross

Jimmy Buffett once wrote a song called Life Is Just A Tire Swing. Now, Jimmy Buffett is no fool, and he knows that nothing is quite as simple as that. But if there is one overriding philosophy to his life, it is his determination to stay sane and happy in a crazy business. To do that, he is constantly making an effort to keep his life from turning into a one-way ticket to the funny farm.
Buffett is a composer/performer with five albums to his credit, the latest being HAVANA DAYDREAMIN’. If his music belongs to a genre, and is so diversified that it is hard to categorize, it fits into the realm of country sub-species maverick. This leads inevitably to the one thing country musicians do more of than practically anyone – touring. Touring, as anyone who has been on the road for more than two days can tell you, is a fine way to go nuts. Buffett has refused to make that happen. He came close in the days when he was touring with just one accompanist, lead guitarist Roger Bartlett, and going from date to date by plane. But, instead of letting the madness close in on him, he acquired a band and a bus.
As Buffett recalled it, “When we started getting recognition, it got really intense. It was just Roger and I, and there are certain places you just can’t work like that without it driving you totally crazy. So, I got the band, and it’s a relaxed feeling to know that if ever there’s a bad situation or a bad crowd, you can lay back on the band and don’t have to carry the whole load yourself. It’s the only way I could have done it, even though I get criticized a lot for selling out. Between that and switching from flying to the bus increased longevity of being on the road by about 50% for me. Flying around was just a pain in the ass and when you start doing that with 11 people, it got to be a double pain in the ass. So we went to the bus, which is a much more relaxed way.”
Although touring usually interferes with his writing, Buffett has found that it also gives him material for his songs (which he likes to say are “90% true). A classic example is the yet unrecorded Why Don’t You Take Your Drunken 15 Year Old Girl Friend Home? inspired by an incident in a club. “There is this phenomenon of attracting young audiences which we are starting to do now. We still get older people who just come to enjoy the music, but I can tell that there are now teenyboppers in the audience. And there was this one little girl sitting in a club in Atlanta and she was just polluted out of her mind. Somehow or another, she got back to the dressing room. I was talking to her and had no other intentions, because I knew she was bad news. Her boyfriend came up and was real macho and said, I bet you don’t know how old this little girl is but you can get in a lot of trouble. And I thought, these people are really idiots to be making a scene. And I went back and wrote a song about it and it was real loose and we played it the last night of the gig.” The song has become an audience favourite and will finally be included in Buffett’s next album, recorded live, to capture its full flavour.
Girl Friend is in many ways typical of much of Buffett’s music, which in turn reflects his personality. The songs are low-keyed, charming and often funny with an eye for accurate detail and an ear for the apt word or phrase to describe it. One on the current album, called Clichés, is, he admits, about himself: “to a degree. Some is me and some is the band. It’s just some observations about his habits, such as my strong addiction to Pepperidge Farm Cookies and Star Trek.” Another, devoted to “Let’s Make A Deal”, is call My Whole World Lies Waiting Behind Door Number 3 (co-written with Steve Goodman) and was the outcome of watching the show and seeing “the reactions and how greedy everyone can get.”
The funny songs are audience favorites. Buffett’s own choices tend to be more serious material, such as The Captain And The Kid, newly recorded but written several years ago in memory of his grandfather. Whichever, the songs are grounded in a kind of reality that is easily recognizable to audiences inside and out of the country category. This summer Buffett is taking two months away from touring to sail alone to the Caribbean. “I’ll just sail around the islands and hang out, because I am running out of stories. It’s a good place to do it. The only timetable I follow is doing one album a year. That gives me just enough time to write 10 or 11 good tunes. So far it’s worked out and I haven’t come up short.”
Buffett wants to do other things besides writing songs. He’s working on a screenplay, and doing more work as a film composer appeals to him even though his first experience, the score for Rancho Deluxe, was less than perfect. “The artistic people are fine; Frank Perry (the director) was a real pleasure to work with. But the experiences with the front office were terrible. Unbelievably horrible things went wrong that the producer was responsible for. He made me realize that the people in the music business were weird, but the movies are doubly weird. Now I know how to handle things if it happens again. On MY terms.”
The experience may have been bad, but Buffett talked about quietly. He has learned to take it in his stride as he has other unhappy events. “You just have to start over at intervals. I guess the thing is just to do it and have a good time and try to get out of it with sanity and a little longevity and something for the kids, so your grandchildren won’t have to work.” In other words, life can be “a tire swing”, if you’re careful to keep it that way.

"The night wrote a check the morning couldn't cash."
jayparrot46
Hoot!

Post by jayparrot46 »

a great album [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]
zippy
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: Havana Day Dreamin'
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita no salt

Post by zippy »

Havana Day Dreamin' is one of my favorite songs, never gets boring, I sing it in my car tootling down the road!! Love and grew up on this album--many memories - thanks Jimmy!!!!
[smilie=battingeyes.gif]
farrellsm77
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by farrellsm77 »

I recently bought a copy of Havana Daydreamin on vinyl and instead of a Woman Goin Crazy on Caroline Street, it has an alternate version of Kick in Second Wind. Has anyone else heard of this?
"If we weren't all crazy, we'd all be insane..."
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

farrellsm77 wrote:I recently bought a copy of Havana Daydreamin on vinyl and instead of a Woman Goin Crazy on Caroline Street, it has an alternate version of Kick in Second Wind. Has anyone else heard of this?
Yes! And you can read more about it here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69650&hilit=Havana+ ... e#p3140779
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

You can find more about Havana DayDreamin' here too:

viewtopic.php?t=66468
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

Good read.
Dino69 wrote:ABC Records
Life as a “tire swing”
The Music Gig – May 1976
By Penelope Ross

Jimmy Buffett once wrote a song called Life Is Just A Tire Swing. Now, Jimmy Buffett is no fool, and he knows that nothing is quite as simple as that. But if there is one overriding philosophy to his life, it is his determination to stay sane and happy in a crazy business. To do that, he is constantly making an effort to keep his life from turning into a one-way ticket to the funny farm.
Buffett is a composer/performer with five albums to his credit, the latest being HAVANA DAYDREAMIN’. If his music belongs to a genre, and is so diversified that it is hard to categorize, it fits into the realm of country sub-species maverick. This leads inevitably to the one thing country musicians do more of than practically anyone – touring. Touring, as anyone who has been on the road for more than two days can tell you, is a fine way to go nuts. Buffett has refused to make that happen. He came close in the days when he was touring with just one accompanist, lead guitarist Roger Bartlett, and going from date to date by plane. But, instead of letting the madness close in on him, he acquired a band and a bus.
As Buffett recalled it, “When we started getting recognition, it got really intense. It was just Roger and I, and there are certain places you just can’t work like that without it driving you totally crazy. So, I got the band, and it’s a relaxed feeling to know that if ever there’s a bad situation or a bad crowd, you can lay back on the band and don’t have to carry the whole load yourself. It’s the only way I could have done it, even though I get criticized a lot for selling out. Between that and switching from flying to the bus increased longevity of being on the road by about 50% for me. Flying around was just a pain in the ass and when you start doing that with 11 people, it got to be a double pain in the ass. So we went to the bus, which is a much more relaxed way.”
Although touring usually interferes with his writing, Buffett has found that it also gives him material for his songs (which he likes to say are “90% true). A classic example is the yet unrecorded Why Don’t You Take Your Drunken 15 Year Old Girl Friend Home? inspired by an incident in a club. “There is this phenomenon of attracting young audiences which we are starting to do now. We still get older people who just come to enjoy the music, but I can tell that there are now teenyboppers in the audience. And there was this one little girl sitting in a club in Atlanta and she was just polluted out of her mind. Somehow or another, she got back to the dressing room. I was talking to her and had no other intentions, because I knew she was bad news. Her boyfriend came up and was real macho and said, I bet you don’t know how old this little girl is but you can get in a lot of trouble. And I thought, these people are really idiots to be making a scene. And I went back and wrote a song about it and it was real loose and we played it the last night of the gig.” The song has become an audience favourite and will finally be included in Buffett’s next album, recorded live, to capture its full flavour.
Girl Friend is in many ways typical of much of Buffett’s music, which in turn reflects his personality. The songs are low-keyed, charming and often funny with an eye for accurate detail and an ear for the apt word or phrase to describe it. One on the current album, called Clichés, is, he admits, about himself: “to a degree. Some is me and some is the band. It’s just some observations about his habits, such as my strong addiction to Pepperidge Farm Cookies and Star Trek.” Another, devoted to “Let’s Make A Deal”, is call My Whole World Lies Waiting Behind Door Number 3 (co-written with Steve Goodman) and was the outcome of watching the show and seeing “the reactions and how greedy everyone can get.”
The funny songs are audience favorites. Buffett’s own choices tend to be more serious material, such as The Captain And The Kid, newly recorded but written several years ago in memory of his grandfather. Whichever, the songs are grounded in a kind of reality that is easily recognizable to audiences inside and out of the country category. This summer Buffett is taking two months away from touring to sail alone to the Caribbean. “I’ll just sail around the islands and hang out, because I am running out of stories. It’s a good place to do it. The only timetable I follow is doing one album a year. That gives me just enough time to write 10 or 11 good tunes. So far it’s worked out and I haven’t come up short.”
Buffett wants to do other things besides writing songs. He’s working on a screenplay, and doing more work as a film composer appeals to him even though his first experience, the score for Rancho Deluxe, was less than perfect. “The artistic people are fine; Frank Perry (the director) was a real pleasure to work with. But the experiences with the front office were terrible. Unbelievably horrible things went wrong that the producer was responsible for. He made me realize that the people in the music business were weird, but the movies are doubly weird. Now I know how to handle things if it happens again. On MY terms.”
The experience may have been bad, but Buffett talked about quietly. He has learned to take it in his stride as he has other unhappy events. “You just have to start over at intervals. I guess the thing is just to do it and have a good time and try to get out of it with sanity and a little longevity and something for the kids, so your grandchildren won’t have to work.” In other words, life can be “a tire swing”, if you’re careful to keep it that way.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

ASaltyPieceOfLand
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Brahma Fear
Number of Concerts: 26

Post by ASaltyPieceOfLand »

Cliches was recorded for A1A according to that article. That's odd. Maybe not, especially when you consider the first 2 ABC Records albums could essentially be a double album.
Salt air it ain't thin...