JB on Vinyl

Submit your review or read what other's have said about Jimmy's albums and DVDs

Moderator: SMLCHNG

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Re: JB on Vinyl

Post by FinsUp6835 »

I am only missing down to earth then my jb vinyl collection will be complete!
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
ASaltyPieceOfLand
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Brahma Fear
Number of Concerts: 26

Post by ASaltyPieceOfLand »

Tiki Torches wrote:
Dino69 wrote:Thanks mate, perhaps my copy made it's way from England. All my other early JB's are ABC Dunhill, although my Havana Daydreamin' isn't a gatefold (I think it came out as a gatefold) even though it's made from good early-mid 1970's thick cardboard stock.
I wish the MCA CD back catalogue had kept faithful to the original artwork and liner notes instead of the generic - original front cover but with the boring spine/back cover details (same goes for my Lynyrd Skynyrd CD's).
Havaña Daydreamin' is definitely a gatefold (artwork below courtesy of B u f f e t t World). When MCA acquired the catalog, they did away with the gatefolds for Buffett's and Skynyrd's albums (as well as any record that was packaged as a gatefold or two LP set). In regards to CD's, some of Skynyrd's original albums have been reissued as expanded deluxe editions with the original artwork restored. Why Buffett has never taken on such a project is a mystery as his back catalog is in dire need of the same treatment.
It's not Jimmy's fault - it's MCA's fault for not doing anything with his entire "MCA" catalogue!!!
Salt air it ain't thin...
Bufoo
Favorite Buffett Song: come monday
Number of Concerts: 1

Post by Bufoo »

Has anyone tried to look for JB's vinyl on second-hand shops?
atmarler26
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana and One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 1

Post by atmarler26 »

Bufoo wrote: May 31, 2018 7:22 am Has anyone tried to look for JB's vinyl on second-hand shops?
I have collected many of his albums on vinyl over the years and have been able to find all of the following albums in actual record stores, not on Ebay:

A1A, Volcano, Havana Daydreamin', Coconut Telegraph and Son of a Son of a Sailor

.....but does anyone happen to know if Christmas Island was ever released as an LP? Haven't been able to find that anywhere.
"The last time we played here in 2004 in September, the Red Sox won the World Series in October. I'm thinking the same thing this year, how 'bout you?" -Jimmy Buffett, 8/9/2018
Crazy Navy Flyer
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 100
Favorite Boat Drink: rum

Post by Crazy Navy Flyer »

I don't believe Christmas Island was issued on vinyl.
Back to livin' Floridays
Bucarader
If we weren't all crazy ...
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by Bucarader »

I’ve been buying old vinyl on eBay, and most of everything I have picked up is in really good shape.
Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it.
urlcenter
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 6

Post by urlcenter »

Bucarader wrote: April 29, 2021 7:22 am I’ve been buying old vinyl on eBay, and most of everything I have picked up is in really good shape.
Just be aware that Jimmy's earliest vinyl LP's from 1973-1978 were released twice,

This includes the following titles:

White Sport Coat
Living and Dying in 3/4 Time
A1A
Havana DayDremin'
Changes in Latitudes
Son of a Son of a Sailor
You Had To Be There

All of the above albums were originally released by ABC records between 1973-1978, ABC Records was absorbed by MCA Records in 1979

MCA reissued the albums listed above as MCA albums minus a lot of the original art work from the original ABC releases. Also the MCA vinyl sound quality is not as good as the original ABC vinyl sound
Bucarader

Post by Bucarader »

Exactly! The ABC releases seem to bring a premium and are the only ones I have bought, up until they are all MCA. For the most part I have been happy with what I have bought, as I now have the entire library from White Sport Coat to Coconut Telegraph.

Ironically, the two that were advertised as VG play flawlessly and two that I bought that were advertised as NM have many cracks and crackles. I think with old JB vinyl the key is: don’t pay too much, and you really don’t know what you have until you get your hands on it.

One that is “sandy sounding” is Volcano, and it was only released by MCA, and the last gatefold album. It was advertised as NM and I paid $10 for it. The cover is tight, and the vinyl looks great. I’m sure it just had imbedded dust in the grooves and needs a deep cleaning.

On a side note, I am also a big ZZ Too fan. All the old London Records releases that I have bought play amazingly.
Bucarader

Post by Bucarader »

I just scored CILCA and SOASOAS, ABC pressings new and still in shrink! Also scored a new Volcano new, still in shrink. 8)