Our discussion board has been updated to a newer version. If you have a problem with viewing try clearing your browser's cache and refresh.

09/20/2007 - Madison Square Garden New York

From the 2007 "Bama Breeze" tour
Adge
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Cowboy in the Jungle
Number of Concerts: 58
Favorite Boat Drink: Cadillac Margarita

Thursday Compared to Tuesday

Post by Adge » September 21, 2007 11:33 am

I was fortunate enough to be at both shows. Curious if anyone else was. . . As disappointed I was in Tuesday -- Thursday's show impressed. I have been to over 40 shows and Tuesday lacked a bit of energy, many people in their seats and the opening set seemed dull. Last night was fantastic, crowd had a lot of energy and the band was great -- great setlist -- I was actually really hoping for one more after Glory Days but that was not to be.

Anyone else get to both shows? Thoughts?

SunsetChef
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Sooooo many...
Favorite Boat Drink: 4 Rum Rum Runner

Post by SunsetChef » September 21, 2007 11:35 am

I made it through both. I think alot people started the weekend early last night!

ConchRepublican
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor / Boat Drinks / The Captain and the Kid / CILCIA
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: Margaritas, Daiquiris & Mojitos!!!!
Location: My own slice of Margaritaville - my backyard Tiki Bar in Queens, NY!

Re: Thursday Compared to Tuesday

Post by ConchRepublican » September 21, 2007 12:08 pm

Adge wrote:I was fortunate enough to be at both shows. Curious if anyone else was. . . As disappointed I was in Tuesday -- Thursday's show impressed. I have been to over 40 shows and Tuesday lacked a bit of energy, many people in their seats and the opening set seemed dull. Last night was fantastic, crowd had a lot of energy and the band was great -- great setlist -- I was actually really hoping for one more after Glory Days but that was not to be.

Anyone else get to both shows? Thoughts?
Went to both. After Tuesday, I had high hopes for last night. I was dissappointed.

I don't concern myself so much with the standing sitting thing, more about song selection. I sit often, I prefer to sit and listen/sing to "It's My Job", even "Come Monday" or something along those lines. I still love the wordmanship (????).

I'm not a big fan of On the Road, Gumbo (it's just OK IMHO), EOTP, License, Elvis, Reggaebilly, so I conserved my energy.
"I'm just tryin' to get by being quiet and shy,
In a world full of pushin' and shovin'"

Welcome to Flemingo Key . . .
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flemingo ... 647?ref=hl

pirateat30
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Number of Concerts: 8

Post by pirateat30 » September 21, 2007 1:19 pm

I was at the show last night and it was awesome. Started at Stout where the energy was very high and the wrigley dvd really gets you in the mood :P The alcohol helps a bit too :wink:

Who was the guy in the parrot costume?? Is he on this board?

Anyway, Buffett is not only a great performer but is also a great motivator. It's amazing what this one guy has done and especially his accomplishments within the past ten years. The average 50-60yr old guy is looking forward to retirement and his pension pay. Jimmy is still adding to his empire at 60 yrs old and is not looking for an end.
It just amazes me and while I'm still young (36) he makes me dig deeper in the things I do and not just sit back and watch the world go by.

Thanks for another great show Jimmy and we look forward to many more!! Hope you get to Jones Beach next year so I can take my 6 yr old son along to see your show.

changingchannels
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by changingchannels » September 21, 2007 1:43 pm

great show except for all the cover songs,wish i had gone to tuesday show as i think that setlist was better.glory days is a terrible song for jimmy to cover and should be immediately dropped for good.
"I enjoy this life as a jester
Seems to keep me moving around
Like the wind that blows, tides that flow
I have my ups and downs"

SmartWomaninShortSkirt
If we weren't all crazy ...

Post by SmartWomaninShortSkirt » September 21, 2007 1:51 pm

Excellent summary! I was there last night too. Like others, I was also shocked that he didn't do an acoustic song to end the night, but it was all good. I didn't think the first set was great, but I was prepared. I'm just not a fan of On the Road, LTC, Elvis, etc.

Glory Days is an absolutely amazing song - when Bruce sings it. I don't know why, but Jimmy just doesn't quite get it right.

I agree re: second set - crowd was very into it, especially for uptight New Yorkers (I am one, so I can say that). Loved his references to Manhattan, the City, and also loved the Yankee footage - Pettitte and Matsui made the big screen during It's My Job!! I think Buffett is more of a Sox fan, so that must've been tough for him to put up there, especially with the race as close as it is.

:lol:
jonesbeach10 wrote:Okay, first of all I thought it was a great show and here was my day:

Wake up, go to one class yesterday at 8:30, which of all topics in US History, was about Elvis and the beginning of rock n' roll :lol: At 10 I grab my stuff from my dorm head to the train and catch a 12 noon Amtrack from Union Station in DC to NY Penn. Then I met up with my parents and headed to Jimmy's BBQ diagonnally across from the Garden on 31st and 7th. That was where the NY Metro PHC was (which my parents and uncle are members of).

The highlight of the "tailgate" had to be Miles Hampton stopping in. Got to meet him and talk to him, threw in a BN which he said is the best for getting Buffett info. 8)

As for the concert, I have to say it was rockin. The people in front of me seemed to be Yellow Album fans, although it might have been one guy that brought the family, since he was standing the entire show. The people behind us though were rocking the entire time which was nice-didn't feel bad about blocking anyone.

As for the set, I thought it was great. On the Road Again- eh, I knew it was coming although it was pretty neat since I had been 'on the road again' today. Also got to hear Reggabilly for the first time, which was cool. I have to say though, the only time I saw a good part of the crowd sitting was during Reggabilly and Bama Breeze, both slower, non-SYKBH songs.

The second set was one of the best individual sets I've ever heard him play. The band was rockin, the crowd was on its feet the entire time. Boat Drinks solo and It's My Job were definitely the highlights of the show.

Also which I thought was cool was that there were a few people from the Navy who had floor seats, but were kinda far back. By the end of the show, the managed to work their way to the front and they all tossed their caps onto the stage after EOTP. Jimmy picked one up and put it on and played Southern Cross with it after giving them a shoutout. The only disappointment was that he ended with Glory Days. I thought they would come back out for one more, which would have made for a great encore IMHO and simply awesome concert. And while very few of us here like Glory Days (myself included), I can't blame him for playing it. The crowd loved it. And he did get the lyrics right. :)

And for those of you who think Jimmy's just going through the motions...ummm...he sure didn't last night. He was playing to both sides of the stage he was dancin around kicking beachballs. If that is mailing it in, I think 95% of performers mail it in. :roll: All in all a great concert and so worth missing a few classes :lol:
"If we weren't all crazy we would go insane"

jonesbeach10
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Weather is Here Wish You Were Beautiful
Number of Concerts: 9
Location: Living with my feet in DC and my head in the cool blue north

Post by jonesbeach10 » September 21, 2007 2:24 pm

SmartWomaninShortSkirt wrote:Excellent summary! I was there last night too. Like others, I was also shocked that he didn't do an acoustic song to end the night, but it was all good. I didn't think the first set was great, but I was prepared. I'm just not a fan of On the Road, LTC, Elvis, etc.

Glory Days is an absolutely amazing song - when Bruce sings it. I don't know why, but Jimmy just doesn't quite get it right.

I agree re: second set - crowd was very into it, especially for uptight New Yorkers (I am one, so I can say that). Loved his references to Manhattan, the City, and also loved the Yankee footage - Pettitte and Matsui made the big screen during It's My Job!! I think Buffett is more of a Sox fan, so that must've been tough for him to put up there, especially with the race as close as it is.

:lol:
jonesbeach10 wrote:Okay, first of all I thought it was a great show and here was my day:

Wake up, go to one class yesterday at 8:30, which of all topics in US History, was about Elvis and the beginning of rock n' roll :lol: At 10 I grab my stuff from my dorm head to the train and catch a 12 noon Amtrack from Union Station in DC to NY Penn. Then I met up with my parents and headed to Jimmy's BBQ diagonnally across from the Garden on 31st and 7th. That was where the NY Metro PHC was (which my parents and uncle are members of).

The highlight of the "tailgate" had to be Miles Hampton stopping in. Got to meet him and talk to him, threw in a BN which he said is the best for getting Buffett info. 8)

As for the concert, I have to say it was rockin. The people in front of me seemed to be Yellow Album fans, although it might have been one guy that brought the family, since he was standing the entire show. The people behind us though were rocking the entire time which was nice-didn't feel bad about blocking anyone.

As for the set, I thought it was great. On the Road Again- eh, I knew it was coming although it was pretty neat since I had been 'on the road again' today. Also got to hear Reggabilly for the first time, which was cool. I have to say though, the only time I saw a good part of the crowd sitting was during Reggabilly and Bama Breeze, both slower, non-SYKBH songs.

The second set was one of the best individual sets I've ever heard him play. The band was rockin, the crowd was on its feet the entire time. Boat Drinks solo and It's My Job were definitely the highlights of the show.

Also which I thought was cool was that there were a few people from the Navy who had floor seats, but were kinda far back. By the end of the show, the managed to work their way to the front and they all tossed their caps onto the stage after EOTP. Jimmy picked one up and put it on and played Southern Cross with it after giving them a shoutout. The only disappointment was that he ended with Glory Days. I thought they would come back out for one more, which would have made for a great encore IMHO and simply awesome concert. And while very few of us here like Glory Days (myself included), I can't blame him for playing it. The crowd loved it. And he did get the lyrics right. :)

And for those of you who think Jimmy's just going through the motions...ummm...he sure didn't last night. He was playing to both sides of the stage he was dancin around kicking beachballs. If that is mailing it in, I think 95% of performers mail it in. :roll: All in all a great concert and so worth missing a few classes :lol:
I gotta say that was pretty cool seeing the Yankees/Islanders/Rangers/Giants highlights 8)

Sometimes more than others,
we see who and what and where we are,
I'm just a one man band,
With my feet in the sand,
Tonight I just need my guitar

lostsailor69
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by lostsailor69 » September 21, 2007 4:47 pm

I went both nights and I was on the floor both nights. The energy was fine. Buffett shows in New York are a little different and my only explanation is the lack of a tailgating experience, but being from NYC, there is something neat about getting off the "E" subway train and walking up the stairs to the Garden and seeing 'the greatest show on earth". I made it to Anguilla, AC, Mohegan Sun (front row thanks to a friend that has a slight gambling problem) and Foxboro this year and Aguilla (obviously) and Foxboro were the most energetic. I liked the set list Tuesday (Fruitcakes, Grapefruit and School Boy Heart were the standouts, but I also love Scarlett Begonias because I am a 38 year old guy who really misses Jerry Garcia and Jimmy does that song justice). I also liked the two intermission videos on Tuesday (Bankie Banx and Jimmy, Dave Matthews and Jimmy) versus Thursday. But the main reason I liked Tuesday best was because I was able to take my 60 year old parents with me as a birthday gift to my father who "force feed" Jimmy Buffett to my younger brother and I when we were 7 and 10 years old respectively. That is why I enjoyed Tuesday. I smiled when Jimmy said "Thank you to all you parents for raising your kids on this" I think he meant the real young kids, but I am just glad that I know the words to all the songs and not just the ones on the yellow album. Thanks Mom, Thanks Dad. Thanks Jimmy. BTW, Bill Payne is amazing and I love a good Dixie Chicken and that made Thursday special also. No comments on Glory Days but I may have heard it one to many times this year.

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched » September 22, 2007 12:13 am

gingerbreadman wrote:Here's the only other known times Jimmy ended the show with Glory Days

Wrigley Field - Chicago IL Monday, 9/5/2005
Citizens Bank Park - Philadelphia PA Saturday, 8/27/2005
Citizens Bank Park - Philadelphia PA Thursday, 8/25/2005
I believe Las Vegas October 22, 2005 too. :)

http://www.buffettnews.com/show65.html

magnus & Mr Moon
Behind Door #3

Post by magnus & Mr Moon » September 22, 2007 12:23 am

mddahn wrote:I went both nights and I was on the floor both nights. The energy was fine. Buffett shows in New York are a little different and my only explanation is the lack of a tailgating experience, but being from NYC, there is something neat about getting off the "E" subway train and walking up the stairs to the Garden and seeing 'the greatest show on earth". I made it to Anguilla, AC, Mohegan Sun (front row thanks to a friend that has a slight gambling problem) and Foxboro this year and Aguilla (obviously) and Foxboro were the most energetic. I liked the set list Tuesday (Fruitcakes, Grapefruit and School Boy Heart were the standouts, but I also love Scarlett Begonias because I am a 38 year old guy who really misses Jerry Garcia and Jimmy does that song justice). I also liked the two intermission videos on Tuesday (Bankie Banx and Jimmy, Dave Matthews and Jimmy) versus Thursday. But the main reason I liked Tuesday best was because I was able to take my 60 year old parents with me as a birthday gift to my father who "force feed" Jimmy Buffett to my younger brother and I when we were 7 and 10 years old respectively. That is why I enjoyed Tuesday. I smiled when Jimmy said "Thank you to all you parents for raising your kids on this" I think he meant the real young kids, but I am just glad that I know the words to all the songs and not just the ones on the yellow album. Thanks Mom, Thanks Dad. Thanks Jimmy. BTW, Bill Payne is amazing and I love a good Dixie Chicken and that made Thursday special also. No comments on Glory Days but I may have heard it one to many times this year.
WOW! Thanks for posting this - great to hear the concert stories and even more the history. Your pholks sound cool!

What was the DM video? I know he played with him at the NYC Katrina benefit - was that it? Thanks and welcome to BN!

:D
And raccoons brought wine and the mice they brought cheese...

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched » September 22, 2007 12:36 am

gingerbreadman wrote:The interview is here if y'all want to hear...

Click for interview...
Thanks!

So, Jimmy spent time with his daughter and was being a good father while the BAND and CREW went on this boat on a tour around Manhattan with Sean Kennedy from Biloxi.

http://www.dejongandlebet.com/219_mariner_iii.htm

Jimmy must have gone to Sarah Delaney's volleyball game since he said Big Red won the volleyball game and Go Lawrenceville.

Jimmy'll be at the Saints game...

I think I am finally getting Glory Days! :wink: :lol:

gingerbreadman
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by gingerbreadman » September 22, 2007 12:36 am

conched wrote:
gingerbreadman wrote:Here's the only other known times Jimmy ended the show with Glory Days

Thanks for that!

Short term memory.... A little short tonight! :lol: :lol:
Hey Snake, we need more wine!

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched » September 22, 2007 12:59 am

Loved the comments about performing in New York and what THAT means to him professionally and personally and relishing the moments of getting on that stage. Interesting to hear them talk about how it would have been hard to get fans to stand at a show in the past...much less come to the shows.

Big Jimmy
User banned 30 days

Post by Big Jimmy » September 22, 2007 1:08 am

conched wrote:

Yeap He ended it one Vegas show in 05 with Glory Days.

Made me very thankful that Harrahs paid my airfare and hotel room for that weekend, so it was not a total bust.

I AM AN AMERICAN
USA COMES FIRST
THE REST COME LAST

LEARN IT
LOVE IT
LONG LIVE THE USA OR DIE

LIPH
Last Man Standing

Post by LIPH » September 22, 2007 10:03 am

Su2116 wrote:Hey guys, I was at the show last night too and it was awesome! Question, where was Amy Lee?
You're kidding, right?
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

jonesbeach10
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Weather is Here Wish You Were Beautiful
Number of Concerts: 9
Location: Living with my feet in DC and my head in the cool blue north

Post by jonesbeach10 » September 23, 2007 1:36 am

LIPH wrote:
Su2116 wrote:Hey guys, I was at the show last night too and it was awesome! Question, where was Amy Lee?
You're kidding, right?
Insert insincere 'we were all newbies once' joke here :lol:

Sometimes more than others,
we see who and what and where we are,
I'm just a one man band,
With my feet in the sand,
Tonight I just need my guitar

lostsailor69
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by lostsailor69 » September 24, 2007 8:48 am

magnus & Mr Moon wrote:
mddahn wrote:I went both nights and I was on the floor both nights. The energy was fine. Buffett shows in New York are a little different and my only explanation is the lack of a tailgating experience, but being from NYC, there is something neat about getting off the "E" subway train and walking up the stairs to the Garden and seeing 'the greatest show on earth". I made it to Anguilla, AC, Mohegan Sun (front row thanks to a friend that has a slight gambling problem) and Foxboro this year and Aguilla (obviously) and Foxboro were the most energetic. I liked the set list Tuesday (Fruitcakes, Grapefruit and School Boy Heart were the standouts, but I also love Scarlett Begonias because I am a 38 year old guy who really misses Jerry Garcia and Jimmy does that song justice). I also liked the two intermission videos on Tuesday (Bankie Banx and Jimmy, Dave Matthews and Jimmy) versus Thursday. But the main reason I liked Tuesday best was because I was able to take my 60 year old parents with me as a birthday gift to my father who "force feed" Jimmy Buffett to my younger brother and I when we were 7 and 10 years old respectively. That is why I enjoyed Tuesday. I smiled when Jimmy said "Thank you to all you parents for raising your kids on this" I think he meant the real young kids, but I am just glad that I know the words to all the songs and not just the ones on the yellow album. Thanks Mom, Thanks Dad. Thanks Jimmy. BTW, Bill Payne is amazing and I love a good Dixie Chicken and that made Thursday special also. No comments on Glory Days but I may have heard it one to many times this year.
WOW! Thanks for posting this - great to hear the concert stories and even more the history. Your pholks sound cool!

What was the DM video? I know he played with him at the NYC Katrina benefit - was that it? Thanks and welcome to BN!

:D
The DM video was from the Katrina benefit. "Heart of Gold"

gingerbreadman
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by gingerbreadman » October 1, 2007 10:50 pm

Was looking at the BN statistics, and noticed that a new record was set for "Most Users Ever Online" while this show was going on.

September 20, 2007 10:30 pm, Most Users Ever Online = 377

At that time they were playing Everybody's On The Phone! :lol:

Can ya hear me now?
Hey Snake, we need more wine!