Suggestions

The Winner: A Pirate Looks at Forty

Moderator: phjim

RoadToTheFinalFour
I have found me a home

Suggestions

Post by RoadToTheFinalFour »

Now that we are down to the last two games, I want some feedback from you the voters.

First of all, I want to thank you all for teh great response. It turned out a lot better than I could ever imagine because of you!

Now I want your feedback. Should I do this again next year, even if the rankings, seedings, and songs will change very little, or should I wait a year or two?

Is there a better way to seed or choose the songs? Obviously there are songs that weren't in the top 65 that would have made a dent in the tourney (Migration comes to mind)

Another idea I thought of was to have an "automatic" bid from each album. Whichever song was played the most on each album gets an automatic bid into the tourney so that albums such as TTWWY, Down To Earth get in.

Any other suggestions, critiques, ideas are welcome!!!
z-man
Here We Are
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by z-man »

It was a lot of fun; thanx for running the pool!

As you say, there would not be much variation if you ran the tournament again... how about an NIT tournament next time, using the next 32 songs after the 65 in the big tournament?
Living my life...
One Tropical Day at a Time!

caly
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Come Monday
Number of Concerts: 16
Favorite Boat Drink: skinny pirate
Location: St. Thomas, but not the one in U.S.V.I....Canada!!!

Post by caly »

I have no suggestions, just want to comment.
That was fun and thanks for all the effort you put into doing it. Many of mine were bang on, but a few dissapointed me.
Thanks again!
spendingmoney
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: Banana Repulics
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything New Glarus

Post by spendingmoney »

z-man wrote:It was a lot of fun; thanx for running the pool!

As you say, there would not be much variation if you ran the tournament again... how about an NIT tournament next time, using the next 32 songs after the 65 in the big tournament?
An NIT tourney with the next 32 songs on the list sounds like a good idea.
johnson2113
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Trying To Reason With Hurricane Season
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark & Stormy, Bourbon & Branch, Bloody Mary

Post by johnson2113 »

My thoguht was if you wanted to mix it up. Next year break it down into songs written by Jimmy, songs he convered, songs written by Coral Reefers, songs he recorde written by someone else.

Something along those lines. Then the brackets would end up with something different in each of them.
SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Post by SMLCHNG »

:D THANK YOU, STEVE!!!!!!!!!!

And I like z-man's idea. :)

Or ask folks to submit their ideas. First 65 peeps to speak up.

I dunno - just tossing out ideas. :D
ToplessRideFL
Changing Channels

Post by ToplessRideFL »

Its been alot of fun...even tho I dont want to cast my vote for the final.... too hard to choose! :wink:

I wouldnt know how to set up a tournament.... but I agree you will most likely get pretty similar results... May next yer you could do it on Buffettisms.... I dont know if there are 64... but I bet if we start counting in January we'll come up with them.

Or albums.... how many albums including the LIVE albums... might be close to 64.

Or concerts.... do a nomination in Jan and Feb of the best concerts... narrow down to 64... of course that is so subjective since some werent around for or didnt attend say... Lakeland FL in 1977! :wink:
MOST VALUABLE PLAYER OF BN FEUD VII
green1
Hoot!

Post by green1 »

It was great! Thanks foir putting it together.

I like the NIT idea with the enxt 32 or so most played songs at the concerts. I don't care so much about who wrote the song, I just like how the sound coming from him.
Jollymom21
We are the People our Parents Warned us

Post by Jollymom21 »

z-man wrote:As you say, there would not be much variation if you ran the tournament again... how about an NIT tournament next time, using the next 32 songs after the 65 in the big tournament?
What a great run!!! :P Thanks for all your hard work and making the March Madness fun in our home more than just about B-ball!!! :wink:

I like z-man's idea of the next 32 after this year's first 65 (if I understand him correctly).

I think we all have a song or two of Jimmy's that we love which are definitely not SYKBH nor played much at concerts. It would be nice to see how they fare--maybe we could give Mr. Buffett some good ideas for future tours (not that he really needs our help--seems to me from the outcome of this year's tourney that he knows us all pretty well!!! :wink: :wink: )
chippewa
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by chippewa »

It was a blast! Thanks for putting it all together!

Next year-----

best venues to see Jimmy?
best beer or boat drinks?
best album/cd?
unclejohn
Hoot!

Post by unclejohn »

I thought it was fun, and I also like the idea of the "NIT tournament "as well.
I am no longer fighting my inner demons. We are on the same side now.
~Hippolyte~
At the Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 22

Post by ~Hippolyte~ »

First, thanks for the fun.

Second, I like what you're saying about taking the most popular song from each album.

I also wish there was some way to put the albums, in whole, against each other. Though the results may be obvious as soon as you look at the big picture.

I'd also change up the divisions some, so Boats would face off against Bars or Beaches. --how were the songs chosen for their division? I didn't look too much into it, maybe that's obvious too??

Thanks again!!
Frisco Feeding Frenzies I-V (+16 other shows)

Big Jimmy
User banned 30 days

Post by Big Jimmy »

If your gonna do it again-- Try doing songs Jimmy actually WROTE. No more of these covers-- they aint his, and will never be. I do not care how much you like Brown Eyed Girl or Southern Cross

Brown Eyed Girl will always belong to Van Morrison
Southern Cross will belong to CSN

I AM AN AMERICAN
USA COMES FIRST
THE REST COME LAST

LEARN IT
LOVE IT
LONG LIVE THE USA OR DIE
jonesbeach10
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Weather is Here Wish You Were Beautiful
Number of Concerts: 9
Location: Living with my feet in DC and my head in the cool blue north

Post by jonesbeach10 »

~Hippolyte~ wrote:First, thanks for the fun.

Second, I like what you're saying about taking the most popular song from each album.

I also wish there was some way to put the albums, in whole, against each other. Though the results may be obvious as soon as you look at the big picture.

I'd also change up the divisions some, so Boats would face off against Bars or Beaches. --how were the songs chosen for their division? I didn't look too much into it, maybe that's obvious too??

Thanks again!!
Essentially it was song 1 (Margaritaville) played #64 (Great Filling Station, #2 played #63, #3 played #62, #4 played #61, etc. Keeping with the real March Madness, instead of using #1 v. #64, there were 4 #1 seeds, so #s 1-4 all got 1 seeds, #s 5-8 got 2 seeds, etc. I then named the brackets randomly. There was no reason the Margaritaville bracket was boats, the Come Monday bracket was the Ballads bracket.

I hope that made sense
[smilie=graytard.gif] [smilie=graytard.gif]

Sometimes more than others,
we see who and what and where we are,
I'm just a one man band,
With my feet in the sand,
Tonight I just need my guitar
jedivet
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 22
Favorite Boat Drink: VooDoo

Post by jedivet »

I really enjoyed this, too, and I think the NIT idea is cool. I also like the idea of having each album represented somehow. I bet you'll figure out the best way by next year! I don't care so much about who wrote the song, either, but I have to confess I voted against BEG and SC for the reasons mentioned above. Not Jimmy songs, no matter what. I don't confess to knowing every single writer of every song, but the obvious covers don't really belong.

Just my two cents.
...I come down to talk to me...when the coast is clear...
fruityparrothead
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Stranded On A Sandbar
Favorite Boat Drink: Depends on the day...

Post by fruityparrothead »

I really enjoyed this ............. hope you can work out something similar for the future.

"When I pay my bills, gonna leave these Tennessee hills...(take myself), to the sea." Jimmy Buffett
ejr
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ejr »

This has been a lot of fun!

I like the NIT idea.

I was also wondering if there was a way to do this with the "hidden gems"--the songs that don't get played much, the songs we would all love to hear live, just once-that sort of thing.
"I finally know what Michael Jordan was talking about when he said he was 'in the zone'"
Jimmy Buffett, 9/4/05, Wrigley Field
jtaschl1

Post by jtaschl1 »

First of all - Thanks for the effort. It was fun. Loved it. I just get into these things.

I think you most definitely should do this again. You can change the way the songs are selected. I have seen some great suggestions already. You can have a cover song only. Or Jimmy-penned only. Or actually have regions named "Covers", "Early Buffett", "Country Buffett", "Self-referencing Buffett". That sort of thing. Don't worry too much about being scientific about the seedings. Have a "selection committee" choose them. It could be just you. Part of the fun is discussing the seedings. You cannot do this incorrectly. There would always be next year's tournament.

You could also ask people to vote differently. Ask them to vote specifically on lyrics, or music. That way the ending could be different. Maybe.

Regardless - terrific idea and great job!
spucketts
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: Like I could pick just one
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: Frozen Margarita w salt, salt, salt

Post by spucketts »

I really enjoyed this too. Might be interesting to do live vs studio vs remakes, and I like covers vs original stuff. :pirate:
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

Just tossing out ideas after reading others.

Use just the songs Jimmy and/or the Coral Reefers have written in the last 10 years ie songs that are not cover songs...WOW, that will leave out a few of my favorites from the last 10 years. :wink: Could we even come up with that many songs if we don't count the covers?

Starting with Fruitcakes? Since that is about when Jimmy really started putting out the albums again.

We already know we like all those old favorite songs. :) But, this did show me that my favorite songs are not favorites of others...such as That's What Living Is To Me and He Went To Paris. :)

It was lots of fun to read the comments on voting.

Great job, RTTFF!!