How Many More JB Concerts Will You Attend?

Polls about Jimmy, his music, etc

Moderator: SMLCHNG

How Many More JB Concerts Will You Attend?

I'm done attending live concerts.
2%
Still going, but not as much as before.
20%
I go to as many as I can afford in a year.
15%
Wish I could go to more each year.
13%
I'll be out there as long as Jimmy is.
50%

Total votes: 118

Hockey Mon
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Anything with a guitar in it
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: The one that's free
Location: On the far side of the Washington Capitals rink in VA

Re: How Many More JB Concerts Will You Attend?

Post by Hockey Mon »

drunkpirate66 wrote:
C-Dawg wrote:
Bfan53again wrote:At age 58 I must admit that I don't look forward to attending JB concerts as much as I used to. I kind of felt this last year and realize that the same thought is stronger this year.

For me, it's more sharing pre-concert time with friends now than the music. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy JB's shows, but I can't argue the point that if you've seen one, well, you've pretty much seen it all.....

How do you feel?
Sorry, I disagree..... standing on the lawn with Jack, Jon and Janice at the Tampa show, we were blown away with the setlist, and it seemed every other song we were commenting how it was the first time we were hearing this song live. Those are the moments at a show that you can't get from listening on RM. Sharing those rare gems Jimmy pulls out every once in a while with good friends, and experiencing the amazing musical talent of the Coral Reefer Band.
As long as Jimmy keeps playing, I'll keep going. There is NOTHING like good live music.
[smilie=thatworks.gif]

Well said, Sir.
Very true about good live music. I use to go to ALOT of concerts as a teenage and in my 20's. Now, I go to 2 shows religiously. Buffett and Rush. I've got a friend and his wife who I got with every year and this year will be no different. As long as he's playing, we will go. Now, I don't know about this no tailgating policy at Jiffy Lube Live. We will have to see what happens in the future...
Twenty degrees and the hockey games on...
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

Bfan53again wrote:As of today (May 15) almost one-fourth of responders seem to be cutting back on annual concert attendance.....interesting. :roll: :wink:
$135/seat... $14/beer, etc. Maybe the novelty is wearing off?
Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: "I Have Found Me a Home"
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark 'n Stormy

Post by Bfan53again »

RinglingRingling wrote:
Bfan53again wrote:As of today (May 15) almost one-fourth of responders seem to be cutting back on annual concert attendance.....interesting. :roll: :wink:
$135/seat... $14/beer, etc. Maybe the novelty is wearing off?
Could be....... :o :wink:

Thanks to all who have responded! :pirate:
On most days I say: "Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been...."
Sometimes I can only say: "There is no dumbass vaccine......"

If something or someone gets you down, just remember: "In a hundred years it all won’t matter.........."
capnbobby
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season
Number of Concerts: 28
Favorite Boat Drink: Bacardi 8 anos

Post by capnbobby »

I've always said that I will do this as long as Jimmy does this. This year Margret and I went to one show, West Palm Beach, which was a great show. We are doing MOTM in November, and then we'll look forward to a winter/spring show in Florida. I hope Jimmy will come back to West Palm, a great venue.

8) Fins Up 8)
Cap'n Bobby
popcornjack
Changing Channels
Favorite Buffett Song: Biloxi
Number of Concerts: 75
Favorite Boat Drink: Dos Equis

Post by popcornjack »

C-Dawg wrote:
Bfan53again wrote:At age 58 I must admit that I don't look forward to attending JB concerts as much as I used to. I kind of felt this last year and realize that the same thought is stronger this year.

For me, it's more sharing pre-concert time with friends now than the music. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy JB's shows, but I can't argue the point that if you've seen one, well, you've pretty much seen it all.....

How do you feel?
Sorry, I disagree..... standing on the lawn with Jack, Jon and Janice at the Tampa show, we were blown away with the setlist, and it seemed every other song we were commenting how it was the first time we were hearing this song live. Those are the moments at a show that you can't get from listening on RM. Sharing those rare gems Jimmy pulls out every once in a while with good friends, and experiencing the amazing musical talent of the Coral Reefer Band.
As long as Jimmy keeps playing, I'll keep going. There is NOTHING like good live music.
I didn't see Chris post this. I've seen Jimmy close to 70 times, and I can't think of an experience that beat the four of us enjoying the show together. And that is why we all make the effort to see our old friends and meet new ones. Those 7 days i spend with two of my best friends, whom I never would have met if not for Buffett, are seven days that will be on my mind until the day i die. And that is exactly why I will see Jimmy every chance i can. I get to add Cleveland to my list this year, and I look forward to all the new friends I will meet, thanks to JB.
Take me for what I am, a star newly emerging.
I accept the new found man, and I set the twilight reeling.
Wildh2oskier
If we weren't all crazy ...
Favorite Buffett Song: There is no way to pick just one.
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: Something with whiskey in it
Location: Central Alabama, center of the state middle of nowhere

Post by Wildh2oskier »

Last year was a real good year me. I saw him 3 times. I could have went 3 times this year but family business just kept getting in the way.
It doesn't bother me like it ought too though.
I guess after seeing him @ the Gulf Shores concert.... standing in the sand at the epicenter of his universe I realized that I would never be able to see him in a setting, or at a time when he was happier to be where he was doing what he does best.
That was the high water mark of his career to me and as I realized that it was both sad yet wonderful at the same time. I had been to see Jimmy on his beach, and it couldn't get any better than that.
So will I go to see him again? You bet your bottom dollar I will.
But if I don't I'm at peace with it.
Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: "I Have Found Me a Home"
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark 'n Stormy

Post by Bfan53again »

Wildh2oskier wrote:Last year was a real good year me. I saw him 3 times. I could have went 3 times this year but family business just kept getting in the way.
It doesn't bother me like it ought too though.
I guess after seeing him @ the Gulf Shores concert.... standing in the sand at the epicenter of his universe I realized that I would never be able to see him in a setting, or at a time when he was happier to be where he was doing what he does best.
That was the high water mark of his career to me and as I realized that it was both sad yet wonderful at the same time. I had been to see Jimmy on his beach, and it couldn't get any better than that.
So will I go to see him again? You bet your bottom dollar I will.
But if I don't I'm at peace with it.
Nice post..... :pirate:
On most days I say: "Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been...."
Sometimes I can only say: "There is no dumbass vaccine......"

If something or someone gets you down, just remember: "In a hundred years it all won’t matter.........."
Big Green PH
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: Pascagoula Run
Number of Concerts: 16

Post by Big Green PH »

My goal is to get to 30 shows before I'm 30. Going to be tough. I'll be at 16 or 17 by the end of the year, and turning 27 next month. That said, i enjoy the shows a lot more with a big group of people (6, 8, 10, 30). I could probably squeeze in more if I started going with just one or two others though. It's the travel and logistics (e.g. planning the tailgate for 20 people) that makes it tough.
"I need to start growing up," I thought to myself the other day, as I sat in my pillow fort.
Poconoparrothead
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin to reason''''''
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by Poconoparrothead »

This is an interesting thread,it gives us a wide range of outlooks and opinions. This is the first year since the early 90's we won't be going to a show.We had to choose between Buffett and Chesney/ZBB. It makes me think am I slowing down or just in need of a change of scenery. Buffett on the lawn in CAMDEN :cry: again can best be described as was stated at the beginning of this thread, if you've seen it once,the reruns are all the same. I'm not done going to concerts and never will be until the end but this year is a turning point for me. I think its time for a change.
Visions of good times make me want to go back again!!!!
swizzlestick
Gypsies in the palace
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 3
Favorite Boat Drink: ...anything with Rum!!!

Post by swizzlestick »

Went to my first JB show/tailgate this year at GW. Waited till my 50's to do it! JB was on my bucket list, as I've been a big fan for years...and this was the time. What an experience! :D

I'd like to think this will be a yearly thing...sure gonna try! :wink:

Lori
"...Yesterday's over my shoulder, so I can't look back for too long"
z-man
Here We Are

Post by z-man »

I must admit, Buffett shows for me are now more about the friends and the tailgate than his music.

I get to see countless live shows by all the other trop-rock artists, and really enjoy getting to hear all the fresh, new music that is being created.

Have to thank Jimmy for all the new friends and all the new music I wouldn't know if he hadn't gotten me started down this road!
Living my life...
One Tropical Day at a Time!

PetalMel
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Depends on my mood--there are so many....
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Most anything with rum

Post by PetalMel »

like most people have said, a lot of the lure is the tailgate and getting back in touch with folks I don't see other than at Buffett concerts. I have been playing this Parrothead game since 1987 (maybe I have paid for one of his boats like my husband says...), but now it is much than just the concert. It's about the friends I have made because of the music and lifestyle. And it's about meeting people that I chat with on message boards like BN and back in the day Prodigy ISO Buffett. Some of my closest friends came out of that message board and we still plan reunions around Buffett concerts so we can see each other and catch up. I have to admit, that one of the things I was the most excited about during our trip to KW this past February was being able to meet Popcorn Jack :) I think that it is really fun to go somewhere and have a "friend" there.

This is a great topic because at the end of each concert (we usually only do Pine Knob since travelling is tough with small kids and a dog. Baby sitters can rob you blind if you aren't careful.) we say we are done and it's not worth it. Then in the winter when concerts are announced, we can't wait to see if we are lucky enough to score tickets. There is something about getting tickets that is thrilling and then counting down the days until you can push open the gates to the parking lot with friends you can't imagine being without, hugging people you just met and singing along with folks you may not see again that makes it all worth it.
well, ummmmmmm, yah, I guess I better come up with something witty to put in this spot since everyone is reading it.......

Lightning Bolt
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin To Reason...
Number of Concerts: 17
Location: Mt. Helix looking east to the future, west to this sunset

Post by Lightning Bolt »

Been there...done that :roll:

...and will be there again...and do it again... for as long as I can still do it! 8) :P :pirate:
$#@&...only Vegas again?? Padres ...gotta start believin'!Bring on '14 Spring Training!
Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know »

I go where I can when I can.
Some years it's only 3 or 4, other years it's as many as 10.

Like everyone else, lots of factors figure in.
phins2rt
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Number of Concerts: 22

Post by phins2rt »

OP,
I couldn't agree more. I've been going for over 20 years and this year was the first year I intentionally didn't see Jimmy. In past years I always "made up" a concert if I missed it.
KruzinParrots
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Pirates Punch

Post by KruzinParrots »

Luv to attend the concerts. As long as Jimmy is playing, we'll be there.
Find Your Passion and Make It Happen
Dutch Harbor PH
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 35
Favorite Boat Drink: GROG!!!!!
Location: Not the end of the earth, but on a clear day you can see it

Post by Dutch Harbor PH »

Good question.....I think like a lot of folks here, we go for the crowd and the pre and post parties...... But even that has been difficult for some places this year. We went to 2 shows this year....off from a high of 4 in 1 week and 5 in a year...... we have had some really increadible experiences at the shows and they are a big part of us, but the cost of doing 4 in a week or 5 in a year is just getting to be a bit too much..... love the european shows, love the Vegas shows so we will probably continue to see those.........
Attitude: The difference between ordeal and adventure
Scars are Tattoos with really good stories
No matter where ya go....There you are.
Come Back, Come Back.....to the South Bering Sea Islands....
yes i am a
I gotta go where it's warm
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: margarita

Post by yes i am a »

I have gone to see quite a few shows in my days. Worked at the spectrum Wells Fargo Center, The vet JFK Citizens bank Park and The Tweeter center(camden) Have seen Jimmy to many times to count. He is the only one I never work. I need the whole day to see old phrinds and to meet new ones. We try to go on at least one road trip a year. My favorite words are always Happy Buffet Day. So i will attend as long as he can drag his butt out on stage :pirate:
If your walkin on thin ice you might as well dance
drunkpirate66
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 »

popcornjack wrote:
C-Dawg wrote:

How do you feel?
I didn't see Chris post this. I've seen Jimmy close to 70 times, and I can't think of an experience that beat the four of us enjoying the show together. And that is why we all make the effort to see our old friends and meet new ones. Those 7 days i spend with two of my best friends, whom I never would have met if not for Buffett, are seven days that will be on my mind until the day i die. And that is exactly why I will see Jimmy every chance i can. I get to add Cleveland to my list this year, and I look forward to all the new friends I will meet, thanks to JB.
Well thank you to those who brought this thread back up to page 1 because holy f*cking sh*t balls this made me laugh (and cry) and laugh some more! When all you got going on is a crappy NBA game on TNT and some p*** warm Jameson on a thursday night this thread was a welcome reminder as to why I am a Parrothead. 2012 boys!!!! We got to find a way to make it even more epic! Challenge . . . proposed!!!!
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .
Marnin Grita Guy
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 32
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita

Post by Marnin Grita Guy »

drunkpirate66 wrote:
popcornjack wrote:
C-Dawg wrote:

How do you feel?
Well thank you to those who brought this thread back up to page 1 because holy f*cking sh*t balls this made me laugh (and cry) and laugh some more! When all you got going on is a crappy NBA game on TNT and some p*** warm Jameson on a thursday night this thread was a welcome reminder as to why I am a Parrothead. 2012 boys!!!! We got to find a way to make it even more epic! Challenge . . . proposed!!!!

You could actually dress up like Robin (the boy wonder)! The chicks really dig the costumes so you might get lucky, it may bother your "bromance" time though.

:lol: :lol: :lol: