Our discussion board has been updated to a newer version. If you have a problem with viewing try clearing your browser's cache and refresh.

If you could keep one cover song.

Polls about Jimmy, his music, etc

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Posts: 27373
Joined: August 26, 2006 10:16 am
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 78
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.
Contact:

Re: If you could keep one cover song.

Post by TommyBahama » January 23, 2016 9:32 am

sistergoldenhair wrote:Medley -- Free and Into the Mystic
Glory Days






Just Kidding , that and Sorry Jen , Love Peters Music , But Yellow Submarine have to go...... I wish he would play Sea Cruise a little more

Mileko
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Posts: 6
Joined: July 15, 2016 1:23 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Fins
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark & Stormy
Location: Rincon Beach, CA
Contact:

Re: If you could keep one cover song.

Post by Mileko » July 15, 2016 2:51 pm

Thank God the Tiki Bar Is Open
Tomorrow, I'm goin' sailing again

cm22lmr
I have found me a home
Posts: 104
Joined: October 12, 2008 3:58 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: "Lone Palm"
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Irish whiskey
Location: The Windmills Of My Mind
Contact:

Re: If you could keep one cover song.

Post by cm22lmr » August 10, 2016 10:18 pm

Uncle John's Band

Pirate Lookin' at 40
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Posts: 346
Joined: March 21, 2004 7:20 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Clinton, Tennessee - GO VOLS!!!

Re: If you could keep one cover song.

Post by Pirate Lookin' at 40 » September 15, 2016 9:11 am

Southern Cross comes off so great when it's live, that it's hard to go against that one.

I'm sure a lot of folks are sick of it, but "Brown Eyed Girl" is great live as well. I won't hardly listen to the studio cut though.
"And when I die you can bury me beneath these Western Skies”

-Western Skies, Chris LeDoux 1948-2005

Rest in peace cowboy, a job well done.

ASaltyPieceOfLand
Southeast of disorder
Posts: 86
Joined: June 17, 2016 2:08 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Brahma Fear
Number of Concerts: 26

Re: If you could keep one cover song.

Post by ASaltyPieceOfLand » October 7, 2016 11:38 am

So many good ones from the 1970s: Defying Gravity, Banana Republics, Big Rig, Stories We Could Tell, Ballad Of Spider John, Coast Of Marseilles, The Last Line, This Hotel Room, Biloxi, Dallas, Makin' Music For Money, Lovely Cruise.

A handful of good ones from the 1980s: Stars Fell On Alabama, Why You Wanna Hurt My Heart, California Promises, Steamer, L' Air de la Louisiane.

The 1990s a few good ones: Another Saturday Night, You Call It Jogging, Souvenirs, Pacing The Cage, Uncle John's Band, Reggae Accident, Mexico, Sunny Afternoon, Sea Cruise and Southern Cross.

20's... there's just so many... Hey Good Lookin', Boats To Build, Anytime Anyplace Anywhere, Trip Around The Sun, Scarlett Begonias, Back To The Island, All The Ways I Want You, Savannah Fare You Well, Everybody's Talkin', Window On The World, Nothin' But A Breeze, Life Short Call Now.

2010s... fortunately a lot less.


I guess I'd have to go with Lovely Cruise.
Salt air it ain't thin...

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Posts: 1566
Joined: March 22, 2012 6:13 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Re: If you could keep one cover song.

Post by FinsUp6835 » October 7, 2016 12:11 pm

ASaltyPieceOfLand wrote:So many good ones from the 1970s: Defying Gravity, Banana Republics, Big Rig, Stories We Could Tell, Ballad Of Spider John, Coast Of Marseilles, The Last Line, This Hotel Room, Biloxi, Dallas, Makin' Music For Money, Lovely Cruise.

A handful of good ones from the 1980s: Stars Fell On Alabama, Why You Wanna Hurt My Heart, California Promises, Steamer, L' Air de la Louisiane.

The 1990s a few good ones: Another Saturday Night, You Call It Jogging, Souvenirs, Pacing The Cage, Uncle John's Band, Reggae Accident, Mexico, Sunny Afternoon, Sea Cruise and Southern Cross.

20's... there's just so many... Hey Good Lookin', Boats To Build, Anytime Anyplace Anywhere, Trip Around The Sun, Scarlett Begonias, Back To The Island, All The Ways I Want You, Savannah Fare You Well, Everybody's Talkin', Window On The World, Nothin' But A Breeze, Life Short Call Now.

2010s... fortunately a lot less.


I guess I'd have to go with Lovely Cruise.
To me, I have a different definition of "cover" song. Songs like Makin Music for Money, Lovely cruise ARE Jimmy Buffett songs and really made "known" by him. Even though he technically didn't write them, I don't consider them a cover. To me, a cover is "Brown Eyed Girl" because it was made hugely popular by another artist. Or, even, "Scarlet Begonias" by the Dead. Again, because these songs are popular songs by other MAJOR bands then they are a cover. "Mexico" clearly a cover because it was made famous by James Taylor. "Southern Cross" a cover! It actually makes me cringe when people consider gems like stories we could tell, spider john, last line, lovely cruise, etc to be considered "covers." If that were the case, then 80% of popular country artists should all be considered "cover bands." - including great performers and artists like Kenny Chesney who only pens probably 60% of his stuff, if that.
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.

ASaltyPieceOfLand
Southeast of disorder
Posts: 86
Joined: June 17, 2016 2:08 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Brahma Fear
Number of Concerts: 26

Re: If you could keep one cover song.

Post by ASaltyPieceOfLand » October 14, 2016 12:20 pm

FinsUp6835 wrote:
ASaltyPieceOfLand wrote:So many good ones from the 1970s: Defying Gravity, Banana Republics, Big Rig, Stories We Could Tell, Ballad Of Spider John, Coast Of Marseilles, The Last Line, This Hotel Room, Biloxi, Dallas, Makin' Music For Money, Lovely Cruise.

A handful of good ones from the 1980s: Stars Fell On Alabama, Why You Wanna Hurt My Heart, California Promises, Steamer, L' Air de la Louisiane.

The 1990s a few good ones: Another Saturday Night, You Call It Jogging, Souvenirs, Pacing The Cage, Uncle John's Band, Reggae Accident, Mexico, Sunny Afternoon, Sea Cruise and Southern Cross.

20's... there's just so many... Hey Good Lookin', Boats To Build, Anytime Anyplace Anywhere, Trip Around The Sun, Scarlett Begonias, Back To The Island, All The Ways I Want You, Savannah Fare You Well, Everybody's Talkin', Window On The World, Nothin' But A Breeze, Life Short Call Now.

2010s... fortunately a lot less.


I guess I'd have to go with Lovely Cruise.
To me, I have a different definition of "cover" song. Songs like Makin Music for Money, Lovely cruise ARE Jimmy Buffett songs and really made "known" by him. Even though he technically didn't write them, I don't consider them a cover. To me, a cover is "Brown Eyed Girl" because it was made hugely popular by another artist. Or, even, "Scarlet Begonias" by the Dead. Again, because these songs are popular songs by other MAJOR bands then they are a cover. "Mexico" clearly a cover because it was made famous by James Taylor. "Southern Cross" a cover! It actually makes me cringe when people consider gems like stories we could tell, spider john, last line, lovely cruise, etc to be considered "covers." If that were the case, then 80% of popular country artists should all be considered "cover bands." - including great performers and artists like Kenny Chesney who only pens probably 60% of his stuff, if that.
You're just a bit exclusive about what you consider a cover - in this case, only well known songs by MAJOR bands like the Grateful Dead and James Taylor and CSN etc are covers.

Makin' Music For Money was written and recorded by Alex Harvey and released on his album True Love in 1973.

The Ballad Of Spider John, written by Willis Alan Ramsey, was on his album Willis Alan Ramsey. Jimmy heard it and liked it. That's a cover song.

Stories We Could Tell is a cover. It was written and recorded by John Sebastian on his Tarzan Kid album in 1974. Have you ever heard it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSNynBoHrSk

It is true that Bama Breeze and Lovely Cruise were never released before Buffett recorded and released them, however, they're still not written by him, which still constitutes as a cover song.

Because when it boils down to it, a cover is a song written by someone else, not the person playing it. The original studio recording - which is not the demo - is different. The original version of Bama Breeze, which was written by THREE people, is by Jimmy Buffett - and he even changed the lyrics and took zero song writing credit for those changes. So technically it is "originally by" Jimmy Buffett - but it's a cover song.

80% of country artists are cover bands? That's probably accurate. Most of them don't do their own songs - they're covers. Great performers and artists - and then you say Kenny Chesney? But you said "great performers and artists". How does Kenny Chesney fit into that? If he pens 60% of his stuff then that leaves 40% of it being covers.

You don't consider those songs JB did as covers... but they are, regardless of your definition.
Salt air it ain't thin...

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Posts: 1566
Joined: March 22, 2012 6:13 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Re: If you could keep one cover song.

Post by FinsUp6835 » October 14, 2016 12:50 pm

ASaltyPieceOfLand wrote:
FinsUp6835 wrote:
ASaltyPieceOfLand wrote:So many good ones from the 1970s: Defying Gravity, Banana Republics, Big Rig, Stories We Could Tell, Ballad Of Spider John, Coast Of Marseilles, The Last Line, This Hotel Room, Biloxi, Dallas, Makin' Music For Money, Lovely Cruise.

A handful of good ones from the 1980s: Stars Fell On Alabama, Why You Wanna Hurt My Heart, California Promises, Steamer, L' Air de la Louisiane.

The 1990s a few good ones: Another Saturday Night, You Call It Jogging, Souvenirs, Pacing The Cage, Uncle John's Band, Reggae Accident, Mexico, Sunny Afternoon, Sea Cruise and Southern Cross.

20's... there's just so many... Hey Good Lookin', Boats To Build, Anytime Anyplace Anywhere, Trip Around The Sun, Scarlett Begonias, Back To The Island, All The Ways I Want You, Savannah Fare You Well, Everybody's Talkin', Window On The World, Nothin' But A Breeze, Life Short Call Now.

2010s... fortunately a lot less.


I guess I'd have to go with Lovely Cruise.
To me, I have a different definition of "cover" song. Songs like Makin Music for Money, Lovely cruise ARE Jimmy Buffett songs and really made "known" by him. Even though he technically didn't write them, I don't consider them a cover. To me, a cover is "Brown Eyed Girl" because it was made hugely popular by another artist. Or, even, "Scarlet Begonias" by the Dead. Again, because these songs are popular songs by other MAJOR bands then they are a cover. "Mexico" clearly a cover because it was made famous by James Taylor. "Southern Cross" a cover! It actually makes me cringe when people consider gems like stories we could tell, spider john, last line, lovely cruise, etc to be considered "covers." If that were the case, then 80% of popular country artists should all be considered "cover bands." - including great performers and artists like Kenny Chesney who only pens probably 60% of his stuff, if that.
You're just a bit exclusive about what you consider a cover - in this case, only well known songs by MAJOR bands like the Grateful Dead and James Taylor and CSN etc are covers.

Makin' Music For Money was written and recorded by Alex Harvey and released on his album True Love in 1973.

The Ballad Of Spider John, written by Willis Alan Ramsey, was on his album Willis Alan Ramsey. Jimmy heard it and liked it. That's a cover song.

Stories We Could Tell is a cover. It was written and recorded by John Sebastian on his Tarzan Kid album in 1974. Have you ever heard it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSNynBoHrSk

It is true that Bama Breeze and Lovely Cruise were never released before Buffett recorded and released them, however, they're still not written by him, which still constitutes as a cover song.

Because when it boils down to it, a cover is a song written by someone else, not the person playing it. The original studio recording - which is not the demo - is different. The original version of Bama Breeze, which was written by THREE people, is by Jimmy Buffett - and he even changed the lyrics and took zero song writing credit for those changes. So technically it is "originally by" Jimmy Buffett - but it's a cover song.

80% of country artists are cover bands? That's probably accurate. Most of them don't do their own songs - they're covers. Great performers and artists - and then you say Kenny Chesney? But you said "great performers and artists". How does Kenny Chesney fit into that? If he pens 60% of his stuff then that leaves 40% of it being covers.

You don't consider those songs JB did as covers... but they are, regardless of your definition.
That is your opinion bud. :wink:
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Posts: 1566
Joined: March 22, 2012 6:13 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Re: If you could keep one cover song.

Post by FinsUp6835 » October 14, 2016 12:59 pm

And yes Kenny ches is a great performer and artist! No shoes nation!
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.

ASaltyPieceOfLand
Southeast of disorder
Posts: 86
Joined: June 17, 2016 2:08 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Brahma Fear
Number of Concerts: 26

Re: If you could keep one cover song.

Post by ASaltyPieceOfLand » October 15, 2016 12:02 pm

FinsUp6835 wrote:That is your opinion bud. :wink:
It's simple if you look at it this way: if it's not written by the person singing it, it's a cover.

I don't understand how you think that songs that Jimmy did that were written as well as recorded by other people are not covers!

That may be your opinion but it's wrong!

There you go, dude! [smilie=cool_goatee.gif]
Salt air it ain't thin...

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Posts: 1566
Joined: March 22, 2012 6:13 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Re: If you could keep one cover song.

Post by FinsUp6835 » October 15, 2016 4:12 pm

ASaltyPieceOfLand wrote:
FinsUp6835 wrote:That is your opinion bud. :wink:
It's simple if you look at it this way: if it's not written by the person singing it, it's a cover.

I don't understand how you think that songs that Jimmy did that were written as well as recorded by other people are not covers!

That may be your opinion but it's wrong!

There you go, dude! [smilie=cool_goatee.gif]

Let us agree to disagree

Friends in low places was written by someone other than Garth Brooks. It's mind boggling that you would consider that a cover
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.

ASaltyPieceOfLand
Southeast of disorder
Posts: 86
Joined: June 17, 2016 2:08 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Brahma Fear
Number of Concerts: 26

Re: If you could keep one cover song.

Post by ASaltyPieceOfLand » October 18, 2016 12:44 pm

Not when you consider it's not written by Garth Brooks! The demo he did is the "original version" since the songwriters only had it down on napkins and his album version is considered the original but Mark Chesnutt did a version of it as well. Both came out in 1990 - and based on his singing it's obviously the way Brooks sang it on the demo.

I've just always looked at a song performend by someone that didn't write it is a cover song, regardless of that person who didn't write it doing the original version.
Salt air it ain't thin...

atmarler26
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Posts: 14
Joined: July 9, 2019 5:21 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana
Number of Concerts: 1
Location: Connecticut

Re: If you could keep one cover song.

Post by atmarler26 » July 10, 2019 6:09 pm

TommyBahama wrote:
January 23, 2016 9:32 am
sistergoldenhair wrote:Medley -- Free and Into the Mystic
Glory Days






Just Kidding , that and Sorry Jen , Love Peters Music , But Yellow Submarine have to go...... I wish he would play Sea Cruise a little more
I actually wish he would bring back Yellow Submarine occasionally. It was an encore during the 2009 Summerzcool tour but hasn't been heard since (or at least I don't remember hearing it since.)

Another Saturday Night is my favorite of all his cover songs (his studio version is the best version of the song and definitely better than the original IMO), and the one I'd most like to see included in the setlist more often. I was hoping back in 2012 that he would play it at the Greatwoods show, but he ended up playing it at the Detroit ballpark show.

Brown Eyed Girl is also one of my all time favorite songs-especially the original version and also Jimmy's covers of it- but totally understand those who don't want to hear it at every single concert. I would definitely want to keep it in the large majority of setlists though.

Post Reply