Our discussion board has been updated to a newer version. If you have a problem with viewing try clearing your browser's cache and refresh.

08/27/2008 - Jones Beach Theater - Wantagh, NY

From the 2008 "The Year of Still Here” Tour

Moderators: phjrsaunt, SMLCHNG

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH » August 28, 2008 11:22 am

In case anyone is interested in a bit of trivia, the airfield where Lindbergh left Long Island in 1927 is now a shopping mall, Roosevelt Field.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 99
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know » August 28, 2008 11:25 am

LIPH wrote:In case anyone is interested in a bit of trivia, the airfield where Lindbergh left Long Island in 1927 is now a shopping mall, Roosevelt Field.
Wow. :(

And I also heard the site of the old Ebbets Field, where the Dodgers played, is now a high-rise apartment building.
Do you know if that's true?

LIPH
Last Man Standing

Post by LIPH » August 28, 2008 11:27 am

I'm not sure about Ebbets Field. I know the site of the Polo Grounds, where the Giants played before they moved to SF (and the Mets in 1962-63 before Shea Stadium opened) is now an apartment complex.

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk

Post by Wino you know » August 28, 2008 11:35 am

LIPH wrote:I'm not sure about Ebbets Field. I know the site of the Polo Grounds, where the Giants played before they moved to SF (and the Mets in 1962-63 before Shea Stadium opened) is now an apartment complex.
Where the residents can watch games at Yankee Stadium if they live on the west side of the building. :lol:

LIPH
Last Man Standing

Post by LIPH » August 28, 2008 2:05 pm

BTW, yesterday was the 100th time I've seen Jimmy Buffett. Very appropriate, since the first time I saw him was also at Jones Beach. And further proof that I indeed have no life.

nycfeat
Changing Channels

Post by nycfeat » August 28, 2008 3:18 pm

LIPH wrote:In case anyone is interested in a bit of trivia, the airfield where Lindbergh left Long Island in 1927 is now a shopping mall, Roosevelt Field.
there's small mural and a plaque in the mall about this.

moog
Last Man Standing

Post by moog » August 28, 2008 3:34 pm

The No DRALS video was a great treat. It's been 17 years since I've seen that. Well, I guess since anyone has seen it.

ejr
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ejr » August 28, 2008 3:42 pm

LIPH wrote:BTW, yesterday was the 100th time I've seen Jimmy Buffett. Very appropriate, since the first time I saw him was also at Jones Beach. And further proof that I indeed have no life.
100 concerts-wow! But doesn't he play the same songs every time :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I finally know what Michael Jordan was talking about when he said he was 'in the zone'"
Jimmy Buffett, 9/4/05, Wrigley Field

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk

Post by Wino you know » August 28, 2008 3:51 pm

LIPH wrote:BTW, yesterday was the 100th time I've seen Jimmy Buffett. Very appropriate, since the first time I saw him was also at Jones Beach. And further proof that I indeed have no life.
That's more times than most of the bandmembers. :D

popcornjack
Changing Channels
Favorite Buffett Song: Biloxi
Number of Concerts: 75
Favorite Boat Drink: Dos Equis

Post by popcornjack » August 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Wino you know wrote:
Wow. :(

And I also heard the site of the old Ebbets Field, where the Dodgers played, is now a high-rise apartment building.
Do you know if that's true?
Yeah, I used to live not far from it. There's a little plaque where home plate used to be, and if I remember correctly, it's called Ebbets Towers or something. (If I also remember correcly, it's a housing project.)
Take me for what I am, a star newly emerging.
I accept the new found man, and I set the twilight reeling.

popcornjack
Changing Channels
Favorite Buffett Song: Biloxi
Number of Concerts: 75
Favorite Boat Drink: Dos Equis

Post by popcornjack » August 28, 2008 4:07 pm

Take me for what I am, a star newly emerging.
I accept the new found man, and I set the twilight reeling.

flipflopgirl
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 53
Favorite Boat Drink: Z-Man's MANGO THINGIES!!!!!
Location: I have been promoted from John Frinzi's stalker to ROADIE!!!! :)

Post by flipflopgirl » August 28, 2008 4:14 pm

:( progress :roll: didn't they turn the hanger into an ice rink? my brother played hockey there.
Image "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats." Mark Twain

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk

Post by Wino you know » August 28, 2008 4:21 pm

Thanks, Jack.

LIPH
Last Man Standing

Post by LIPH » August 29, 2008 9:43 am

flipflopgirl wrote:
:( progress :roll: didn't they turn the hanger into an ice rink? my brother played hockey there.
There used to be an ice rink at Roosevelt Field years ago, when it was still an uncovered mall. The rink hasn't been there for probably 35 years. You might be thinking of Mitchell Field, an old Air Force base, part of which is now the campus of Nassau Community College. I think there's an ice rink there.

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched » September 1, 2008 9:00 am

I think you have a great life and it was good to see LONG ISLAND and you.

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched » September 1, 2008 9:02 am

It was so special to hear that song. I walked over to the theater during the tailgate and heard the sound check of that song and KNEW we wouldn't get Nautical Wheelers for the final encore...

OYSTERS AND PEARLS was beautiful, in a beautiful setting on a perfect day.

THANKS, JIMMY!!

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched » September 2, 2008 3:35 pm

From the Jones Beach INTERMISSION ON RM:

Ride The Glide is a term my friend Allan Weisbeckerused in his classic surf tale IN SEARCH OF CAPTAIN ZERO. It describes that perfect patch of smooth salt water two steps ahead of a crashing wave where gravity is taking YOU for a ride on a very wet magic carpet.

To me Ride The Glide is surfing in the free waters. The wave can be two feet tall or twenty feet tall, but the glide is what you are always looking for...and after many, many years I like to compare the thrill of writing, singing, and performing to that of riding the wave.

When I do I understand what a remarkably long and wonderful ride it has been. Out on the ocean you pray to the surf gods for waves, deliverance, rock relocation and salvation and about a hundred other things that are going through your mind as you attempt to ride the ocean.

On the stage you ride the audiences emotions that are fed, not by weather ??, but by words and music. It is a great symbiotic relationship and personally I'm gonna ride this wave until somebody kicks me off.

So this collection of songs is kind of your musical wave upon which you can ride. I'm not gonna say that you can hold this tin box up to your ear and hear the ocean, but then again, maybe you can.

Maybe the Hokey Pokey is really what it's all about. Maybe that's what we've been doing all along...just Riding The Glide.

Anyway, think of this collection as your own wave. There's NOBODY else on it but you. Now, the sun has set and all there is left to do is Ride The Glide.

August 08, Montauk, New York.

Stay stoked...

Thank you, Jimmy for this. I loved Jones Beach.

(Treat yourself to reading more about Allan Weisbecker.)

Martyritaville
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Martyritaville » September 2, 2008 3:38 pm

conched wrote:From the Jones Beach INTERMISSION ON RM:

Ride The Glide is a term my friend Allan Weisbeckerused in his classic surf tale IN SEARCH OF CAPTAIN ZERO. It describes that perfect patch of smooth salt water two steps ahead of a crashing wave where gravity is taking YOU for a ride on a very wet magic carpet.

To me Ride The Glide is surfing in the free waters. The wave can be two feet tall or twenty feet tall, but the glide is what you are always looking for...and after many, many years I like to compare the thrill of writing, singing, and performing to that of riding the wave.

When I do I understand what a remarkably long and wonderful ride it has been. Out on the ocean you pray to the surf gods for waves, deliverance, rock relocation and salvation and about a hundred other things that are going through your mind as you attempt to ride the ocean.

On the stage you ride the audiences emotions that are fed, not by weather ??, but by words and music. It is a great symbiotic relationship and personally I'm gonna ride this wave until somebody kicks me off.

So this collection of songs is kind of your musical wave upon which you can ride. I'm not gonna say that you can hold this tin box up to your ear and hear the ocean, but then again, maybe you can.

Maybe the Hokey Pokey is really what it's all about. Maybe that's what we've been doing all along...just Riding The Glide.

Anyway, think of this collection as your own wave. There's NOBODY else on it but you. Now, the sun has set and all there is left to do is Ride The Glide.

Stay stoked...

Thanx Nancy! You rock!! :D
A most mysterious calling harbour
So far, but yet, so near
Where I see the day
When my hair's full gray
and I finally...disappear. BUT NOT YET!!

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched » September 3, 2008 11:19 am

Thank you, Marty! I loved hearing this read by Jimmy.

It always makes me happy to LEARN about the things that make Jimmy TICK!

Stay stoked! :wink:

dnw
Last Man Standing

Post by dnw » September 3, 2008 2:54 pm

Martyritaville wrote:
conched wrote:From the Jones Beach INTERMISSION ON RM:

Stay stoked...

Thanx Nancy! You rock!! :D

Ditto! Thanks.

Debbie