Our discussion board has been updated to a newer version. If you have a problem with viewing try clearing your browser's cache and refresh.

5th Place! NASCARITAVILLE/Spirit of Vicki/PartiesThat Matter

Wastin' Away In Critterville (a comic strip by surfpirate)

Moderators: SMLCHNG, surfpirate

Post Reply
User avatar
dnw
Last Man Standing
Posts: 37672
Joined: March 3, 2004 6:50 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: South Georgia

Re: 5th Place! NASCARITAVILLE/Spirit of Vicki/PartiesThat Matter

Post by dnw » May 13, 2011 10:01 am

Thanks for the update, SP. Have fun at the races. :D
Image


Debbie

User avatar
srkmrd
Hoot!
Posts: 2125
Joined: May 28, 2004 2:26 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: 5th Place! NASCARITAVILLE/Spirit of Vicki/PartiesThat Matter

Post by srkmrd » May 13, 2011 10:26 am

GREAT NEW SP! Persistence pays! That will make a great start to auction items for next year for a great cause. Wish you could be there next week but sounds like you will be having a great time with your son………..and maybe even pick up some autographs for him (and the auction :D :D )
Image

User avatar
Grams
At the Bama Breeze
Posts: 4730
Joined: February 20, 2007 11:04 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: The Lone Star State

Re: 5th Place! NASCARITAVILLE/Spirit of Vicki/PartiesThat Matter

Post by Grams » May 13, 2011 11:03 am

Thanks SP for keeping on them.. Great auction item for next year and of course free racing is always good.. You and your son have a great time!!!

User avatar
ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land
Posts: 11011
Joined: January 20, 2006 3:38 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH BEST...SONG...EVER!!
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Chill the rose
Location: A PO Box and a 4 way stop

Re: 5th Place! NASCARITAVILLE/Spirit of Vicki/PartiesThat Matter

Post by ScarletB » May 13, 2011 11:14 am

This sounds like the same kind of BS reasons I sometimes deal with in my job. I don't give up easily either and it's good you remained respectful but persistent.
GW - 7/19
Great Northern MOTM - 7/20-21
Hershey Labor Day Weekend Show - 8/29
MOTM - Oct 28

Left Field ParrotHead
Under My Lone Palm
Posts: 5441
Joined: May 12, 2005 1:31 am
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: Perfect Margarita from the M'ville in Las Vegas!!
Location: Across the street, having a beer with the neighbours

Re: 5th Place! NASCARITAVILLE/Spirit of Vicki/PartiesThat Matter

Post by Left Field ParrotHead » May 13, 2011 11:48 am

Nice work sp!!

Next year we will be in the top ten for sure!!
Dumb and drunk as I was, you know I would do it all again.

User avatar
Snowparrot
Under My Lone Palm
Posts: 5601
Joined: August 20, 2003 10:20 am
Number of Concerts: 14
Favorite Boat Drink: **Free**
Location: Ottawa Canada
Contact:

Re: 5th Place! NASCARITAVILLE/Spirit of Vicki/PartiesThat Matter

Post by Snowparrot » May 13, 2011 11:53 am

Not bad, Sp.
Now could you get back to that "dumb" comic strip?
Or did the Critters get run over by Nascar?

User avatar
surfpirate
Here We Are
Posts: 9691
Joined: April 27, 2001 8:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: African Friend
Number of Concerts: 98
Location: OBX (Oh how I wish ..... maybe next month)
Contact:

Re: 5th Place! NASCARITAVILLE/Spirit of Vicki/PartiesThat Matter

Post by surfpirate » May 13, 2011 11:57 am

Snowparrot wrote:Not bad, Sp.
Now could you get back to that "dumb" comic strip?
Or did the Critters get run over by Nascar?
shhhh .... no one else has noticed that I quit writing the strip
ImageTM
"There are no stupid questions. But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
BNCRITTERS.COM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | SURF SHOP | THE BOOK
ImageImage

User avatar
springparrot
Last Man Standing
Posts: 167974
Joined: April 28, 2001 8:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: what time of day is it????
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Mudslide, Strawberry Margarita
Location: Don't Mess With TEXAS

Re: 5th Place! NASCARITAVILLE/Spirit of Vicki/PartiesThat Matter

Post by springparrot » May 13, 2011 12:15 pm

surfpirate wrote:Toyota Racing is taking some accountability and attempting to make amends.

While absolutely nothing can make up for the fact that Toyota Racing made an absolute mess of the process
and robbed our entry of a legitimate chance to compete as one of the ten finalists, they are finally taking
some accountability and have reached out to me with actually personal contact and not anonymous emails.

I have been in contact over the past two weeks with a representative of Toyota Racing. He called me and we
have had several discussions about how this whole thing fell apart. He took the time to address every single one
of my issues. Everything was on the table.

Privately he acknowledged that our entry was one that they were "very excited about" and that they had
been "looking forward to seeing the NASCARitaville entry in the final ten". However he placed the decision to
disqualify our entry on NASCAR and not on Toyota Racing because of our use of an image which invoked the
official NASCAR logo.

When I pointed out that one of the selected finalists used *the actual NASCAR logo*, he waggled a bit and finally
stated that "use of the actual NASCAR logo would have been okay, but that NASCAR did not like our entry's
interpretation of the NASCAR logo"
. Hmmmm .... okay .... not sure I am buying that but .....

As an attempt to make amends, Toyota Racing is doing the following for us:

1. We will receive the equivalent prize package that all of the ten finalists receive:

"A customized helmet featuring the Finalist's "Sponsafied" car graphics. Size of helmet and design/layout of
graphics selected by Sponsor in its sole discretion. ARV: $1,250."


This will include the NASCARITAVILLE logo; the Parties That Matter and "Spirit of Vicki" images, etc.
Unfortunately we will not receive it for another 2 - 3 months. When I do, I will donate it to Parties That Matter
for a very cool, unique, one-of-kind auction item for NEXT YEAR's Frisco Feeding Frenzy charity auction
.
I will even start the bidding myself at, oh say $500 (I want it, but if I am outbid ... all the better for Parties That Matter). 8)

2. For any future Sponsafier entry we may submit (Fall of 2011 or Spring of 2012), I have a point of contact
that will review our entry and make sure that this type of screw-up does not happen again.

As I stated earlier, nothing makes up for the fact that we we robbed of a legitimate chance to move on in this contest,
but I am willing to accept the that they are now taking some accountability and move on.

I will be attending the race this weekend as a guest of Toyota Racing and may have more information down the road.
I am taking my 11 year old son with me (a huge NASCAR and Joe Gibbs Racing fan). He is very excited.
I have so much to say about this whole mess, HOWEVER

HAVE A FANTASTIC TRIP AND ENJOY THE SPECIAL TIME WITH YOUR SON!!!

User avatar
pair8head
God's Own Drunk
Posts: 23703
Joined: April 2, 2002 7:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 300
Location: I'm not in the middle of nowhere but, you can see it from here.
Contact:

Re: 5th Place! NASCARITAVILLE/Spirit of Vicki/PartiesThat Matter

Post by pair8head » May 13, 2011 12:19 pm

surfpirate wrote:
Snowparrot wrote:Not bad, Sp.
Now could you get back to that "dumb" comic strip?
Or did the Critters get run over by Nascar?
shhhh .... no one else has noticed that I quit writing the strip
Yes we have, we just thought we'd give you a break. :D
SAVE THE EARTH
It's the only Planet that has chocolate.

User avatar
PA Parrot
Overkill
Posts: 1039
Joined: July 31, 2008 10:19 am
Favorite Buffett Song: Anything from A1A or White Sportcoat
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Something strong
Location: Mountville, PA

Re: 5th Place! NASCARITAVILLE/Spirit of Vicki/PartiesThat Matter

Post by PA Parrot » May 13, 2011 12:40 pm

pair8head wrote:
surfpirate wrote:
Snowparrot wrote:Not bad, Sp.
Now could you get back to that "dumb" comic strip?
Or did the Critters get run over by Nascar?
shhhh .... no one else has noticed that I quit writing the strip
Yes we have, we just thought we'd give you a break. :D
We all have noticed. :evil: Now it's time for you to get off your lazy butt and start doing things for our amusement again. You work for us, don't you know? You're letting work and family get in the way of our comic enjoyment. Just kidding SP. You do a great job. We know the strip will come back when you are ready. In the meantime....enjoy a little downtime. :D
Kevin

User avatar
Snowparrot
Under My Lone Palm
Posts: 5601
Joined: August 20, 2003 10:20 am
Number of Concerts: 14
Favorite Boat Drink: **Free**
Location: Ottawa Canada
Contact:

Re: 5th Place! NASCARITAVILLE/Spirit of Vicki/PartiesThat Matter

Post by Snowparrot » May 13, 2011 2:46 pm

PA Parrot wrote:
pair8head wrote:
surfpirate wrote:
Snowparrot wrote:Not bad, Sp.
Now could you get back to that "dumb" comic strip?
Or did the Critters get run over by Nascar?
shhhh .... no one else has noticed that I quit writing the strip
Yes we have, we just thought we'd give you a break. :D
We all have noticed. :evil: Now it's time for you to get off your lazy butt and start doing things for our amusement again. You work for us, don't you know? You're letting work and family get in the way of our comic enjoyment. Just kidding SP. You do a great job. We know the strip will come back when you are ready. In the meantime....enjoy a little downtime. :D
[smilie=cheeky-grin.gif] [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

User avatar
nutmeg
Last Man Standing
Posts: 30366
Joined: September 7, 2001 8:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Barefoot Children (this week)
Number of Concerts: 10
Location: Middle of the Mitten

Re: 5th Place! NASCARITAVILLE/Spirit of Vicki/PartiesThat Matter

Post by nutmeg » May 13, 2011 7:21 pm

surfpirate wrote:
Snowparrot wrote:Not bad, Sp.
Now could you get back to that "dumb" comic strip?
Or did the Critters get run over by Nascar?
shhhh .... no one else has noticed that I quit writing the strip

We were just being polite...can't be greedy ya know.
Friends Walk Together in Life's Garden
ImageImageImage
http://heartofmichiganrescue.com/

User avatar
aeroparrot
Last Man Standing
Posts: 72648
Joined: June 17, 2005 7:36 am
Number of Concerts: 42
Location: Just like living in Paradise
Contact:

Re: 5th Place! NASCARITAVILLE/Spirit of Vicki/PartiesThat Matter

Post by aeroparrot » May 14, 2011 7:43 am

surfpirate wrote:Toyota Racing is taking some accountability and attempting to make amends.

While absolutely nothing can make up for the fact that Toyota Racing made an absolute mess of the process
and robbed our entry of a legitimate chance to compete as one of the ten finalists, they are finally taking
some accountability and have reached out to me with actually personal contact and not anonymous emails.

I have been in contact over the past two weeks with a representative of Toyota Racing. He called me and we
have had several discussions about how this whole thing fell apart. He took the time to address every single one
of my issues. Everything was on the table.

Privately he acknowledged that our entry was one that they were "very excited about" and that they had
been "looking forward to seeing the NASCARitaville entry in the final ten". However he placed the decision to
disqualify our entry on NASCAR and not on Toyota Racing because of our use of an image which invoked the
official NASCAR logo.

When I pointed out that one of the selected finalists used *the actual NASCAR logo*, he waggled a bit and finally
stated that "use of the actual NASCAR logo would have been okay, but that NASCAR did not like our entry's
interpretation of the NASCAR logo"
. Hmmmm .... okay .... not sure I am buying that but .....

As an attempt to make amends, Toyota Racing is doing the following for us:

1. We will receive the equivalent prize package that all of the ten finalists receive:

"A customized helmet featuring the Finalist's "Sponsafied" car graphics. Size of helmet and design/layout of
graphics selected by Sponsor in its sole discretion. ARV: $1,250."


This will include the NASCARITAVILLE logo; the Parties That Matter and "Spirit of Vicki" images, etc.
Unfortunately we will not receive it for another 2 - 3 months. When I do, I will donate it to Parties That Matter
for a very cool, unique, one-of-kind auction item for NEXT YEAR's Frisco Feeding Frenzy charity auction
.
I will even start the bidding myself at, oh say $500 (I want it, but if I am outbid ... all the better for Parties That Matter). 8)

2. For any future Sponsafier entry we may submit (Fall of 2011 or Spring of 2012), I have a point of contact
that will review our entry and make sure that this type of screw-up does not happen again.

As I stated earlier, nothing makes up for the fact that we we robbed of a legitimate chance to move on in this contest,
but I am willing to accept the that they are now taking some accountability and move on.

I will be attending the race this weekend as a guest of Toyota Racing and may have more information down the road.
I am taking my 11 year old son with me (a huge NASCAR and Joe Gibbs Racing fan). He is very excited.
At least that's a start.
If you want an experience, go to a Jimmy Buffett concert.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Life is short, live long!!

I'd rather be a wiseass than a dumbass.

Image

txaggirl91
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Posts: 26788
Joined: January 27, 2006 5:44 pm
Number of Concerts: 30
Location: living for the day

Re: 5th Place! NASCARITAVILLE/Spirit of Vicki/PartiesThat Matter

Post by txaggirl91 » May 14, 2011 7:51 am

I'm glad to see Toyota stepping up to the plate on this.

Can't wait to hear how things go at the race!
I must be wishing on someone else's star....

User avatar
springparrot
Last Man Standing
Posts: 167974
Joined: April 28, 2001 8:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: what time of day is it????
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Mudslide, Strawberry Margarita
Location: Don't Mess With TEXAS

Re: 5th Place! NASCARITAVILLE/Spirit of Vicki/PartiesThat Matter

Post by springparrot » May 15, 2011 1:51 pm

Hope you are having a great time at the races. 8) :D

User avatar
surfpirate
Here We Are
Posts: 9691
Joined: April 27, 2001 8:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: African Friend
Number of Concerts: 98
Location: OBX (Oh how I wish ..... maybe next month)
Contact:

Re: 5th Place! NASCARITAVILLE/Spirit of Vicki/PartiesThat Matter

Post by surfpirate » May 15, 2011 2:00 pm

springparrot wrote:Hope you are having a great time at the races. 8) :D
Next weekend ..... ;-)
ImageTM
"There are no stupid questions. But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
BNCRITTERS.COM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | SURF SHOP | THE BOOK
ImageImage

User avatar
springparrot
Last Man Standing
Posts: 167974
Joined: April 28, 2001 8:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: what time of day is it????
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Mudslide, Strawberry Margarita
Location: Don't Mess With TEXAS

Re: 5th Place! NASCARITAVILLE/Spirit of Vicki/PartiesThat Matter

Post by springparrot » May 15, 2011 2:04 pm

surfpirate wrote:
springparrot wrote:Hope you are having a great time at the races. 8) :D
Next weekend ..... ;-)
crap...so close :oops: :lol:
but you said
I will be attending the race this weekend as a guest of Toyota Racing and may have more information down the road.
I am taking my 11 year old son with me (a huge NASCAR and Joe Gibbs Racing fan). He is very excited.

Well, then have fun NEXT weekend :P

Left Field ParrotHead
Under My Lone Palm
Posts: 5441
Joined: May 12, 2005 1:31 am
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: Perfect Margarita from the M'ville in Las Vegas!!
Location: Across the street, having a beer with the neighbours

Re: 5th Place! NASCARITAVILLE/Spirit of Vicki/PartiesThat Matter

Post by Left Field ParrotHead » May 24, 2011 8:28 am

Hey SP!!

Updates...? Pics...?
Dumb and drunk as I was, you know I would do it all again.

User avatar
surfpirate
Here We Are
Posts: 9691
Joined: April 27, 2001 8:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: African Friend
Number of Concerts: 98
Location: OBX (Oh how I wish ..... maybe next month)
Contact:

Re: 5th Place! NASCARITAVILLE/Spirit of Vicki/PartiesThat Matter

Post by surfpirate » May 24, 2011 10:12 pm

Left Field ParrotHead wrote:Hey SP!!

Updates...? Pics...?
We (surfpirate jr. and myself) had a blast. First class VIP stuff all the way.

I have a tone of photos and video to share as soon as I get a chance.
My entire house is currently a wreck as we are doing major renovations right now.
My office and computer are difficult to navigate for the next couple of weeks,
but as soon as things clear up a bit .... I'll get things back to normal
(and maybe even write a comic strip again).

Here's a brief summary.

We had an opportunity to meet a few drivers in one-on-one settings.
Surfpirate jr. was speechless when he met his favorite driver Kyle Busch.
We also met Joey Logano.

We had the opportunity to get behind the scenes in the garages and down on pit row
for two nights of racing. I kept hoping to meet Joe Gibbs, but we missed him both nights.
I also never got a chance to get a photo with *Miss Sprint Cup* (a blonde hottie). Bummer.

We met the Sponsafier Winner family ..... CHELSEA'S HOPE. They are wonderful people.
We met Jessica, a beautiful young girl who suffers from Lafora Disease, which
Chelsea's Hope is dedicated. For more information and photos please visit
www.ChelseasHope.org

Jessica's grandfather submitted the Chelsea's Hope entry in honor of his granddaughter.
Jessica's mother was wonderful and gave me a HUGE HUG and expressed her thanks for
all that we did throwing our NASCARITAVILLE PARTIES THAT MATTER support their way.
They have promised to support us 100% in any future entry we may consider.

The BIG THRILL for surfpirate jr. and myself this weekend was the opportunity to drive one of
21 Toyota Tundra Trucks around the Charlotte Motor Speedway track 15 minutes before the start
of the All-Star Race.


Each driver and their pit crew were introduced to the crowd of 80,000+ amid blaring music and
fireworks from the main stage and then they climbed into the back truck bed of one of the
21 Toyota Tundras and were driven around the track to wave to the crowd.

Turn 1 .... Turn 2 .... back straightaway ..... Turn 3 ..... Turn 4 .... then down pit road.

surfpirate jr. was beside himself grinning ear-to-ear and waving to the crowd as his dad
resisted the temptation to exceed the 35 mph speed limit we were asked to drive.
I sooooooooooooo wanted to floor it and head up those banks into the turns.

We drove #33 driver Clint Bowyer and his pit crew around the track. Very cool.

As soon as things settler a bit. I'll post photos and video.
ImageTM
"There are no stupid questions. But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
BNCRITTERS.COM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | SURF SHOP | THE BOOK
ImageImage

Left Field ParrotHead
Under My Lone Palm
Posts: 5441
Joined: May 12, 2005 1:31 am
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: Perfect Margarita from the M'ville in Las Vegas!!
Location: Across the street, having a beer with the neighbours

Re: 5th Place! NASCARITAVILLE/Spirit of Vicki/PartiesThat Matter

Post by Left Field ParrotHead » May 24, 2011 10:15 pm

Nice...

Glad you and Jr had a great time. You both deserved it.
Dumb and drunk as I was, you know I would do it all again.

Post Reply