Our discussion board has been updated to a newer version. If you have a problem with viewing try clearing your browser's cache and refresh.

11/21/2009 - Uncasville, CT

From the 2009 tour

Moderators: phjrsaunt, SMLCHNG

Johnny's Lounge
Gypsies in the palace
Favorite Buffett Song: ~~^~~ Fins ~~^~~
Number of Concerts: 31
Favorite Boat Drink: Don't know anymore.

Re: 11/21/2009 - Uncasville, CT

Post by Johnny's Lounge » November 22, 2009 4:23 pm

LIPH wrote:
rich_big wrote:
boardkicker1015 wrote:can't type to muxh now..im dead tired and on my phone reading bn...I got tons of pics and some video...Ill share them tommorow with a review...(should I post it in this fourm or the general one)

ilo set was good afterwards as well but no one from the crb showed up. it was quick anout 45 mintues and it was a good size crowd

DUUUUDDDEEE!!! You got to see a private Ilo show as well? I wish I was you.

I look forward to your review, video, and photos tomorrow…
Ilo did a free show at Margaritaville after the big show in the arena.
Me & the wife actually saw his sound check at about 10:30 in the morning. He did a bunch of songs and sounded good.
"Reading departure signs in some big airport
Reminds me of the places I've been.
Visions of good times that brought
so much pleasure
makes me want to go back again."

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH » November 22, 2009 5:55 pm

Pleasin & Teasin wrote:NAUTICAL WHEELERS!!!

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I finally got around to checking the playlist I set up on my iPod of studio & live versions of Buffett songs after I got home (there was a pretty bad accident on I-95 when I was driving home, traffic just about stopped for almost 1/2 hour). I did have a live version of Nautical Wheelers, a couple of them in fact, but this was the first time I've been at a show when he played it. He did it at Great Woods last year but at the Thursday show and I went Saturday. Not too bad, considering as late as noon Friday I was thinking of staying home this weekend.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched » November 22, 2009 8:23 pm

Jimmy also played it at Indy last year. I remember we were "campaigning" for it at Jones Beach and he played it as the encore before the Jones Beach show. (Oysters and Pearls was a great encore at Jones Beach, but it's always great to get Nautical Wheelers.)

Best live performance ever was at the Paramount for the Kinky Benefit in 2006. Weren't you there, Larry? Of course, there was no RM broadcast :( ...so...

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched » November 22, 2009 8:27 pm

mashedbanana6 wrote:Had a great time at my first show last night! Looking forward to next summer's tour.
Yes, welcome to BN and CONGRATS on your first show. Ain't life grand!!
(BN fills in those gaps between concerts.)

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH » November 22, 2009 8:55 pm

conched wrote:Jimmy also played it at Indy last year. I remember we were "campaigning" for it at Jones Beach and he played it as the encore before the Jones Beach show. (Oysters and Pearls was a great encore at Jones Beach, but it's always great to get Nautical Wheelers.)

Best live performance ever was at the Paramount for the Kinky Benefit in 2006. Weren't you there, Larry? Of course, there was no RM broadcast :( ...so...
Yes I was at the Kinky show. I guess I'm relying on my iPod too muuch to remember what I've heard. :lol:
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched » November 22, 2009 9:09 pm

LIPH wrote:
conched wrote:Jimmy also played it at Indy last year. I remember we were "campaigning" for it at Jones Beach and he played it as the encore before the Jones Beach show. (Oysters and Pearls was a great encore at Jones Beach, but it's always great to get Nautical Wheelers.)

Yes I was at the Kinky show. I guess I'm relying on my iPod too muuch to remember what I've heard. :lol:
I know what you mean. I wonder if there is a soundboard recording of that fabulous Jimmy and Mac show? It ranks right up there among the BEST.

boardkicker1015
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: Boat Drinks, Southern Cross, Last Mango in Paris, Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Long Island Ice Tea

Post by boardkicker1015 » November 22, 2009 9:31 pm

I went to yesterday's show with out a ticket hoping to get a cheap one. I was walking around the parking lot with my sister and no one was selling any. Then I got one ticket for 20 bucks 20 mintues before the show right outside the main gate. So I went in alone but how could you pass up that deal.

I was stage right 5 or 6 rows from the top in the first section. The stadium only holds about 10 thousand people so all the seats in the place are great. I had a small pole facing on the stage. I was in section 105.

He played most of the standard set list but threw in bunch of gems (boat drinks, pencil thin mustache, my feet stink my head hurts, nautical whalers and we are the people our parents warned us about)

Right after the show ILO played a free show in the M-Ville Cafe. I got right in and met up with my sister. We were right in front of the stage. He played for about 45 mintues with no special guest. He was very good. Although I did not know most of the songs expect for Let me love you and the fisherman song. He is more rock and not really trop rock but very good.

This was my 8th show since 2008 and this ranks up there with the others.

I'm uploading some videos now (quality is not great though) Should I post these in this thread or make a new one

Here is the link for the pics (Add me if you cant see them)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 7ed2Create an Ad

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched » November 24, 2009 1:37 pm

Enjoyed those videos, John. Thanks! LMIP is nice with the photos of Capt. Tony on the screen.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Buffett1015

looking4OPH
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: Livingston Saturday Night
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita (frozen, salt); drink, repeat

Post by looking4OPH » November 24, 2009 11:35 pm

conched wrote:I know what you mean. I wonder if there is a soundboard recording of that fabulous Jimmy and Mac show? It ranks right up there among the BEST.
Was wondering what you guys were referring to, so I grabbed the show from (the newly revived) jokelben and that recording is a mess! That's too bad. Sounds like it was a heck of a show.

Conolulu
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Back to the beginning "Come Monday"
Number of Concerts: 60
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything z-man makes..

Post by Conolulu » November 25, 2009 9:21 am

LIPH wrote:
Not too bad, considering as late as noon Friday I was thinking of staying home this weekend.
I'm sooooo glad you changed your mind.... 8) :D

I was sworn to secrecy...and when I saw you weren't going to the show I was really disappointed.....But then, when I got out the car, and you were the 1st person I saw that I knew, it just made me smile! [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

rmissbrook
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: The one I just heard
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Spiced Rum & Orange Juice

Post by rmissbrook » November 25, 2009 7:19 pm

Hi there. Parrothead virgin RMissBrook here. I discovered JB about 6 months ago and this is my first concert. I'm too old to do the stadium thing. Anyway, I just want to ask a question that may get me drummed right out of the nation, but don't you get tired of hearing JB do the same songs over and over and over again. I mean if I never hear him do Brown-eyed Girl or Southern Cross again my feelings would not be hurt. He has such a huge body of work and there are so many songs that have never been done live, I would think it would be time to move on. Because I have been catching up and have had the option of listening to his music starting in the 1970's through today, I just think he does his fans and himself a huge mis-service by not varying his sets a little more. His voice has matured over the years, he has a better range, and I think his writing has improved. And just look at how pleased you all were to have him do Nautical Wheelers. I just recently got the Live in Anguilla CD/DVD. What a joy to see him do Domino College, King of Somewhere Hot and Treat Her Like A Laday among others. And the crowd seemed to eat them up. If nothing else what about his doing one concert of songs that have never been done, put the concert on a DVD and donate the proceeds to charity. I would kill to see him do Wheel Inside a Whieel for example. Food for thought.

In any case I thoroughly enjoyed the concert Saturday night and look forward to many more.

looking4OPH
License to Chill

Post by looking4OPH » November 25, 2009 7:34 pm

rmissbrook wrote:I discovered JB about 6 months ago and this is my first concert.
I'm impressed if you've only been following the Parrothead calling for 6 months. You come a long way, both in music knowledge and Parrothead progression (where is that chart of the stages?). The topic of what Jimmy plays and what he doesn't is an old and varied topic of discussion around here.

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched » November 25, 2009 11:02 pm

Welcome, RMissBrook, and congrats on your new addictions. :wink: :D

I guess you also noticed the crowd reaction at the show to BEG. There-in is your answer. But, I also agree it would be nice to get the kind of concert you mention.

Some of his live Sag Harbor shows are sort of like that. His mother's 80th Birthday show has a lot of interesting song selections. His recent Live Anguilla is also a jewel and I see you also enjoy that one. :D

rmissbrook
I Love the Now!

Post by rmissbrook » November 25, 2009 11:52 pm

Okay, so I am the new kid on the block here and don't mean to stir up things but let me ask a dumb question. Have these feelings been conveyed to JB in any format? As part of my catching up I've been looking at a lot of the TV interviews and reading a lot of his written material and he constantly says that the songs belong to the fans. Surely a site as large as this one with so many members must have some influence with people directly involved with JB. I checked out the other large site, Buffett World, and they apparently feel the same way. But as long as audiences continue to react in a positive way, then why should he change. And it certainly makes concert prep much easier for everyone if the same songs are done every year. Maybe with the release of Buffet Hotel, next year's tours will have a wider variety of songs. [smilie=battingeyes.gif]

Chicago - June 28, 2014 (bringing 2 Buffett virgins!)

Hugs, Kay

Life is just a water ballet...

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched » November 26, 2009 12:21 am

You're always going to get the "Songs He Plays to Death." That's what the general concert goer LIKES to hear and it's what "perks" up the casual fan...to hear what they are familiar with. They want to be able to sing along too and get their $$s-wroth. :D :wink:

And you hit the nail on the head. It's a lot easier to prepare for that many shows with THAT large of a band by playing the same general setlist. Eventhough the band has been together for some time, they only have one BIG rehearsal at the beginning of the tour and then soundchecks. I'm sure Jimmy gets together for those special "tribute" songs he plays sometimes with the band. Other than that, those special world debuts of the new songs on the new album had to have been rehearsed by the whole band. It was nice to see and hear those thrown into the mix during the year.

I'd imagine it's fun for the band to get together and prepare some for the concerts, but there can't be all that much time when you consider how many projects they all having going on all the time. Jimmy also does a bit of "localizing" songs like Fruitcakes last year and Manana this year.

I've discovered that although Jimmy says basically the same thing all tour long, it's most fun to listen to the banter between songs. It is what it is and I'm sure Jimmy is doing the best he knows how to keep things fresh. Just that one little reprise of One Love in Frisco was worth the whole show to me. It was especially fun to listen to the Hawaii shows when he introduced the NEW songs and Lover Of Mine and was joined by Henry Kapono. Also nice for him to have Jake and ILO to add to the mix.

looking4OPH
License to Chill

Post by looking4OPH » November 26, 2009 9:34 am

conched wrote:Eventhough the band has been together for some time, they only have one BIG rehearsal at the beginning of the tour and then soundchecks.
I've often wondered about this with the very busy schedules they all keep.

rmissbrook
I Love the Now!

Post by rmissbrook » November 26, 2009 10:51 am

Speaking of banter between songs, have you seen this clip. It's a riot. http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... id=4182824

I'm sure they are all busy. That's why I was thinking that just one concert with songs never played live might be plausible, put it on DVD and then they could go back to the regular routine.

Hugs, Kay

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched » November 26, 2009 11:00 am

rmissbrook wrote:Speaking of banter between songs, have you seen this clip. It's a riot. http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... id=4182824

I'm sure they are all busy. That's why I was thinking that just one concert with songs never played live might be plausible, put it on DVD and then they could go back to the regular routine.
I think that is a wonderful idea. It would be nice to do a song that features each member of the band and then do THE FAVORITE JIMMY BUFFETT song of each band member. And then throw in Jimmy's TOP FIVE picks too!

Dreaming... :wink: :D where would we be without dreams!?

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched » November 26, 2009 11:09 am

rmissbrook wrote:Speaking of banter between songs, have you seen this clip. It's a riot. http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... id=4182824

Oh, yeah!!!!! Speaking of banter!!! LMAO! :lol: :lol: Great find.

rmissbrook
I Love the Now!

Post by rmissbrook » November 26, 2009 12:23 pm

Or how about letting the PH's vote for their top five and take the top 10 vote getters.

Hugs, Kay