EVER BEEN TO KEY WEST?? Help me out..

This is a travelogue area for places to visit, stay, eat, etc...

Moderator: SMLCHNG

ccabsolut01
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Number of Concerts: 0

EVER BEEN TO KEY WEST?? Help me out..

Post by ccabsolut01 »

Hey all--

I'm looking to plan a trip to Key West at the end of the summer. I am just beginning to look around for anything from flight info to where to stay to where to go and what to do in Key West.

I know many of you all have been there and any advice or information that you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking to go down on a Thursday or Friday and stay through Sunday. When would be the best time to go? Where can I get the best deals for a round trip flight for two down there? Where are some good places to stay? (Something unique and different would be nice) What are the 'must-do's' while we're down there? Should we plan to rent a car or just wing it with other transportation while down there?

Any help would be awesome. Thanks so much again-- just shoot me a reply, otherwise I can also be reached at tcjohnson2@wisc.edu

Thanks much-- TCJ
freddyfishstick
Party at the End of the World
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum and Tonic

Post by freddyfishstick »

Aifare- Expedia?

Transportation,- Fly to Miami and drive would be the best bet. Lots of cool stops on the way, Then rent bicycles on the island. " it's not all that big of an island" you will get it figured out as far as what to do when you get down there, depends on what you are into. Sunset sail for dinner? Dinner at Cafe' Sole' ? breakfast/brunch at the Blue heaven? Sit on the beach, Drink, Margaritaville. Whatever you do in KW Ya can't go wrong! I spent ALOT of time on the internet searching for B&B's looking at maps etc. and theres alot of fun to be had just doing that.

Have fun!
ZeroDuval
<font color=blue>The Tiki Bar Is Open!!!</font>

Post by ZeroDuval »

Hello ccabsolut01 and congrats on the upcoming trip, most of us are jealous.....

Try performing a search on this site using the search link above and use Key West as the search words. There are many threads on this board about Key West, on what to do see and such, but make sure you stop in HogsBreath, Sloppy Joes and Cap'n Tony's... catch sunset at Mallory Square.... and a 1000 more items.

Also check out the Key West website to see what events are going on in town for any given week, you may see something in the list to help you decide what days to go....

Hope you have a great time.....
PHAW Webmistress wrote::( :( :( :( I've been banned from my own site :( :( :( :(Image
PARROT HEAD MIKE
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: Impossible to pick just 1 Wonder Why We Ever Go Home or Beloxi
Number of Concerts: 35
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything at Louie's
Location: Somewhere between the sun and the moon, (Boston/Key West)

Post by PARROT HEAD MIKE »

freddyfishstick wrote:Aifare- Expedia?

Transportation,- Fly to Miami and drive would be the best bet. Lots of cool stops on the way, Then rent bicycles on the island. " it's not all that big of an island" you will get it figured out as far as what to do when you get down there, depends on what you are into. Sunset sail for dinner? Dinner at Cafe' Sole' ? breakfast/brunch at the Blue heaven? Sit on the beach, Drink, Margaritaville. Whatever you do in KW Ya can't go wrong! I spent ALOT of time on the internet searching for B&B's looking at maps etc. and theres alot of fun to be had just doing that.

Have fun!
We flew in to Ft. Lauderdale last time, there is much less comotion at that airport and it's only 20 mins or so north of Miami, stop at South Beach at least for an hour or so. :o And yes the drive is great. There is a tour that you can take that takes you by anything that has to do with Jimmy, I didn't do it but I hear it's pretty good. Eat at Turtle Kraals and Pepe's Steak house & Cafe.
http://www.turtlekraals.com/home.html
ImageImage
freddyfishstick
Party at the End of the World
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum and Tonic

Post by freddyfishstick »

PARROT HEAD MIKE wrote:

Have fun!
We flew in to Ft. Lauderdale last time, there is much less comotion at that airport and it's only 20 mins or so north of Miami, stop at South Beach at least for an hour or so. :o And yes the drive is great. There is a tour that you can take that takes you by anything that has to do with Jimmy, I didn't do it but I hear it's pretty good. Eat at Turtle Kraals and Pepe's Steak house & Cafe.

Right you are! We flew into Ft Liqourdale not Miami and it was an easy airport! ( I have a hard time remembering things )
PARROT HEAD MIKE
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: Impossible to pick just 1 Wonder Why We Ever Go Home or Beloxi

freddyfishstick wrote:
PARROT HEAD MIKE wrote:

Have fun!

Right you are! We flew into Ft Liqourdale not Miami and it was an easy airport! ( I have a hard time remembering things )
I'm surprised I still remember anything from those trips. But I do :lol: I'll have to try again soon.

And one bit of advice for planning a trip at the end of the summer, wait until hurricane season is over. Mid to the end September should be safe.
ImageImage
ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

Check out flying into KW, from Boise it is cheaper and less time

(and on one flight you change planes in Miami)
PARROT HEAD MIKE
License to Chill

ragtopW wrote:Check out flying into KW, from Boise it is cheaper and less time

It is a little less aggravation flying into EYW (that's the airport code for Key West) But if it's your first time going to the Keys I would recommend driving, it's a great drive lots to see unless there is an accident on US1 then you're screwed but who cares you're on Island time. Last time we drove we stayed overnight in Marathon on a houseboat and went diving the next morning so it broke up the drive a bit.
ImageImage
ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

PARROT HEAD MIKE wrote:
ragtopW wrote:Check out flying into KW, from Boise it is cheaper and less time

It is a little less aggravation flying into EYW (that's the airport code for Key West) But if it's your first time going to the Keys I would recommend driving, it's a great drive lots to see unless there is an accident on US1 then you're screwed but who cares you're on Island time. Last time we drove we stayed overnight in Marathon on a houseboat and went diving the next morning so it broke up the drive a bit.
thanks but for MOTM I will be in tue and out mon and really I would have to take two more days off (that I do not have) and foot the bill for a
car for 6 days that I would not need. Nor should I have access to :D
I do want to make a Keys run just not in the cards this trip :D :D
jonesbeach10
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Weather is Here Wish You Were Beautiful
Number of Concerts: 9
Location: Living with my feet in DC and my head in the cool blue north

Post by jonesbeach10 »

If its your first time, definitely go into Ft. Lauderdale, and make sure to rent a car w/ a CD PLAYER!!! Had to endure my first trip down to Key West last year without any Buffett music :cry: :evil: :cry: :evil:. If you do fly into Miami or Ft. Lauderdale and depending on when you get into the area, there is a great local fish co-op in Islamorada. The food really hits the spot. Have fun, wish I was going. :D :D

Sometimes more than others,
we see who and what and where we are,
I'm just a one man band,
With my feet in the sand,
Tonight I just need my guitar
Delaneysdad
Southeast of disorder

Post by Delaneysdad »

jonesbeach10 wrote: make sure to rent a car w/ a CD PLAYER!!!
If you rent from Hertz you can get a car with Sirius Radio, then you can Jam to Radio Margaritaville. spending a week in Biloxi with a rental car equipped with sirius is what sold me on Sat. Radio.

Have a great Trip :pirate:
That Kind of Mornin',

Really was that kind of Night!
KSquared
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by KSquared »

Congrats on your first trip to Key West. Made my first trip there 2 years ago and am returning this fall. Flew into Miami then drove last time. This time we are flying directly to Key West. It actually was more expensive to stop in Miami than to fly all the way. Plus renting a car was expensive. Parking is terrible in Key West. Easier to rent a bike or moped or walk. It is cool to see A1A but you could rent a car for one day and take a drive up the road and get a feel for it instead of having to spend 4-5 hours traveling to the Keys and then another 4-5 hours when you leave. Especially for such a short trip.

We are staying at Nassau House. It has gotten rave reviews on trip advisor. Stay close to downtown if you don't have a car.

One of the highlights of our trip was the Sebago champagne sunset cruise. It was GREAT!! Make reservations ahead of time on their website and it is cheaper. I highly, highly recommend it.

Two Friends Patio has the best rum runners!! It will be one of my first stops when I return.

I didn't want to go to Mel Fisher's museum--went to make my husband happy. It really was interesting and I am so glad I went. Got great souveniers--items made from atocha silver.

Hope this helps. Have a great trip.
blank1127
I need two more boat drinks
Number of Concerts: 17
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Beer
Location: Indianapolis Indiana, If you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes, it'll change!

Post by blank1127 »

Just got back from KW about a month ago. Second visit in 3 years. We drove to Ft. Myers from Indiana and took the ferry to KW and stayed for 3 days. We street hiked pretty much everywhere, but if you want to save money on a rental car you might consider the Bone Island shuttle, it's like $8 a day or $6 a day for more than 2 days and they have stops all over the island. Ride all you want and they run until 9 or 10 I believe, plus they are air-conditioned. We stayed at the Chelsea House/Red Rooster Inn, a little pricey but they have a nice continental breakfast and it's not far from Hemingway House and the Lighthouse. There's a million things to do, you won't be able to get to them all, but I definitely recommend the following:

Sunset Cruise-We took the Western Union cruise, we both got a free T-shirt and complimentary chowder and beer, wine, or champagne. Plus the historical aspect of sailing on the last tall ship built in Key West.

Original Ghost Tour-Whether you're a believer or not, it's a great way to find out some of the more interesting history of Key West. And you get to Doom hecklers, a great time rest assured.

The Conch Tour Train-Recommended by Jimmy himself in A Pirate Looks at 50. Enough said.

Schooner Wharf Bar-If you take any Sunset Cruise, they all leave from the Historic Seaport, and this place is right there. A great place for people watching, their motto says it all..."A last little piece of old Key West." Try the blackened grouper sandwich, and the lemonade.

There's also alot on

http://www.fla-keys.com

http://www.floridakeys.com

Good luck, and enjoy your trip!
...someplace farther south, where the water's warm, the drink's are cold, and I don't know the names of the players...
blank1127
I need two more boat drinks
Number of Concerts: 17
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Beer
Location: Indianapolis Indiana, If you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes, it'll change!

Post by blank1127 »

Also, if you want to try some great Cuban food, check out this place called El Siboney Restaurant. Be sure to try the pork. It's awesome!
...someplace farther south, where the water's warm, the drink's are cold, and I don't know the names of the players...
marmitch

Just got back from KW

Post by marmitch »

You will have a BLAST in KW. My husband and I go every year and we just returned this past Wednesday, so we are still in that KW-state-of-mind! We usually do some of the same things while we are there. Here's some tips: Fly to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami and rent a CONVERTABLE car (Thrifty and Budget have the Chrysler Sebrings---great car to drive down in); or you can take a puddle-jumper to KW airport and then a cab to where you are staying. You don't really need a car in KW--we like to have it in case we venture off KW for the day. We stay in some inexpensive (under 150.00) B&Bs and there are MANY to choose from and all pretty decent. There are resorts, too, if you want to splurge. We always start our vacation having a "welcome to KW"-drink at the Ocean Pier bar, at 0 Duval Street, overlooking the water, boats and always music playing there; we do the Dry Tortugas, Sunset and afternoon snorkeling trip, but we rent prescription snorkel masks (go to the Dive shop near Turtle Kraals resteraunt for the best deal); this time, we went on the ECHO Dolphin and Snorkel Trip: $79 each person, for 4.5 hours and it was us, the captain and 1 crew and one other couple, so very private. Saw LOTS of dophins! We also went on the Liberty Schooner afternoon sail ($35/pp) and we were the ONLY 2 people (beside the 3 crew members) on the boat---a virtually private charter!
Depending on what time of year you go, be aware that it is VERY HOT and HUMID down there. We didn't care this time, because we left in the midst of the Noreaster here in MA, but it was well over 90 degrees and stifling. Need to be in the water during the day and save the drinking/dinner/walking Duval for late-afternoon/nighttime.
Restaurants: Our favorites are Hot Tin Roof (expensive); Alonzos Oyster Bar (mid); Louies Backyard (v.expensive); Turtle Kraals (reasonable). MUST go to Harpoon Harrys for B'fast---fabulous!
My husband meets alot of people from England (where he is from)---so not just american tourists there---just watch out for the huge crowds when the cruise ships are in for the day.
Other than that, Have a blast! You'll be hooked, just like we were!
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

blank1127 wrote:Also, if you want to try some great Cuban food, check out this place called El Siboney Restaurant. Be sure to try the pork. It's awesome!
900(ish) Catherine Street behind the Catholic church on Truman. Great food, great prices, large portions, not a lot of pretention. :)

A really good place to eat, better than El Meson de Pepe actually.
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Re: Just got back from KW

Post by RinglingRingling »

marmitch wrote:You will have a BLAST in KW. My husband and I go every year and we just returned this past Wednesday, so we are still in that KW-state-of-mind! We usually do some of the same things while we are there. Here's some tips: Fly to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami and rent a CONVERTABLE car (Thrifty and Budget have the Chrysler Sebrings---great car to drive down in); or you can take a puddle-jumper to KW airport and then a cab to where you are staying. You don't really need a car in KW--we like to have it in case we venture off KW for the day. We stay in some inexpensive (under 150.00) B&Bs and there are MANY to choose from and all pretty decent. There are resorts, too, if you want to splurge. We always start our vacation having a "welcome to KW"-drink at the Ocean Pier bar, at 0 Duval Street, overlooking the water, boats and always music playing there; we do the Dry Tortugas, Sunset and afternoon snorkeling trip, but we rent prescription snorkel masks (go to the Dive shop near Turtle Kraals resteraunt for the best deal); this time, we went on the ECHO Dolphin and Snorkel Trip: $79 each person, for 4.5 hours and it was us, the captain and 1 crew and one other couple, so very private. Saw LOTS of dophins! We also went on the Liberty Schooner afternoon sail ($35/pp) and we were the ONLY 2 people (beside the 3 crew members) on the boat---a virtually private charter!
Depending on what time of year you go, be aware that it is VERY HOT and HUMID down there. We didn't care this time, because we left in the midst of the Noreaster here in MA, but it was well over 90 degrees and stifling. Need to be in the water during the day and save the drinking/dinner/walking Duval for late-afternoon/nighttime.
Restaurants: Our favorites are Hot Tin Roof (expensive); Alonzos Oyster Bar (mid); Louies Backyard (v.expensive); Turtle Kraals (reasonable). MUST go to Harpoon Harrys for B'fast---fabulous!
My husband meets alot of people from England (where he is from)---so not just american tourists there---just watch out for the huge crowds when the cruise ships are in for the day.
Other than that, Have a blast! You'll be hooked, just like we were!
Also for breakfast, Caroline's on Simonton south of Amelia is pretty good and reasonable.
reed69
I have found me a home

Post by reed69 »

Just got back from 10 Days in KW , we spent alot of time in Ricks but that was because they had 50 cent 24 oz beers during the nba playoff games which was like every night. Then we usually ended up in Sloppy joes , but we had the funnest time in IRISH KEVINS every night.

Best place to eat man , we went to Shula's steakhouse down there and it was amazing. A little pricey as in 40 dollar steaks but it was well worth it. Also sunset cruises are the way to go
sailingagain
Touch of Island Fever
Favorite Buffett Song: Banana Republic
Number of Concerts: 25
Favorite Boat Drink: Any random tequila shot

Post by sailingagain »

I just booked my July trip there. Got REALLY cheap airfare at expedia, and REALLY cheap hotel prices at orbitz.
"In the morning when you rise, aren't you glad to be alive?"
Crazy Navy Flyer
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 100
Favorite Boat Drink: rum

Post by Crazy Navy Flyer »

I checked on flights last week, they wanted almost $500 round trip from Atlanta. It's only $80 to Ft Myers and you can catch a boat from there to KW. The Ferry boat I believe has 2 trips a day, not sure but I think it's a 4 hour cruise.

The drive down the Keys is also great, fly into Miami, rent a car and drive.
Back to livin' Floridays