What a jerk!!

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

DeactiveCarib
I Love the Now!
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by DeactiveCarib »

sy wrote:
DsilCaribe wrote: i have to disagree. I was in Old San Juan (Puerto Rico) a few years ago, in an area that I normally wouldn't walk around by myself in, even myself being a guy. I'm there with some friends at night, and on the other side of the street (the dark side, not to mention) an american tourist most likely comming off of a cruise ship, no older than a freshman in college, is walking by herself. This girl is wearing some of the most revealing clothing i've ever seen, and she's probably on her way to a nightclub. The clothing is basically as revealing as J. Lo's infamous dress she wore to the Grammys that one time. A group of 3 puerto rican guys start following her for about 2 blocks, and then push her into a dark alley. I don't know what happened next, i just kept on walking and minded my own business, but i'm sure whatever happened wasn't pretty.
Wasn't there anything you could do? I don't know much about Puerto Rico, maybe that's not a place you try and help someone, but I don't know if I could just let something happen like that?
The part of San Juan that i was is a notoriously dangerous section of the city . . i didn't learn that until later. I went back to San Juan last year on a cruise, and i was talking to a lady who lived in San Juan for most of her life and told her about what i saw when i was in that section. She told me that that type of thing happens all the time there and its just not a safe place for tourists to go to, especially young girls by themselves. She told us which sections to stay out of, and basically told us that the whole city is not very safe.

I partially blame the cruise-ships for not telling the tourists which areas to stay out of, and also the ships dock in san juan usually in the late afternoon and leave in the middle of the night . . .why go there during the night, it really makes no sense.
iuparrothead
God's Own Drunk

Post by iuparrothead »

buffettbride wrote:
NYCPORT wrote:First off on a serious note I think the guy is pretty much right on. She was really stupid to do the things she did. If she had stop to think during ANY of her acts she most likely would be home right now.
But as a teenager, how many of us actually recognized our own mortality? I know I didn't. I did things much, much worse than getting into strange cars with boys I didn't know wearing next to nothing...I honestly wonder now how I am actually alive today. However, that thought never crossed my mind at the time.
Thank you Mallory! Me too.

(and especially, how do we recognize our own mortality as a teenager when drunk?)
Image`How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
`You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
buffettbride
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Cuba Libre

Post by buffettbride »

iuparrothead wrote:
DsilCaribe wrote:by the way, what is your deffinition of a slut. To me, if you are wearing what that girl in my above mentioned story was wearing, thats slutty
I appreciate how you phrased this. I see your point and I find it very valid. I guess I think being 'slutty' is about action... the way you dress does not necessarily represent what you will do. I understand that we live in a misogynist society that assumes if a girl is dressed provocatively, then she must want to be taken advantage of sexually... which we know is not necessarily the case, but does not prevent people from thinking that way & from certain people from acting upon that assumption.

I totally think "slutty" is more about action and not appearance.

And I'm sure none of us have ever dressed provocatively for a Buffett show or sent out a message perhaps we weren't meaning to send. Every chick in a bikini must want to be taken advantage of and of course all the fine, upstanding people here at BN turn their eyes away to uphold their moral authority.
buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

iuparrothead wrote:
buffettbride wrote:
NYCPORT wrote:First off on a serious note I think the guy is pretty much right on. She was really stupid to do the things she did. If she had stop to think during ANY of her acts she most likely would be home right now.
But as a teenager, how many of us actually recognized our own mortality? I know I didn't. I did things much, much worse than getting into strange cars with boys I didn't know wearing next to nothing...I honestly wonder now how I am actually alive today. However, that thought never crossed my mind at the time.
Thank you Mallory! Me too.

(and especially, how do we recognize our own mortality as a teenager when drunk?)
Exactly!
ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer

Post by ph4ever »

buffettbride wrote:
iuparrothead wrote:
DsilCaribe wrote:by the way, what is your deffinition of a slut. To me, if you are wearing what that girl in my above mentioned story was wearing, thats slutty
I appreciate how you phrased this. I see your point and I find it very valid. I guess I think being 'slutty' is about action... the way you dress does not necessarily represent what you will do. I understand that we live in a misogynist society that assumes if a girl is dressed provocatively, then she must want to be taken advantage of sexually... which we know is not necessarily the case, but does not prevent people from thinking that way & from certain people from acting upon that assumption.

I totally think "slutty" is more about action and not appearance.

And I'm sure none of us have ever dressed provocatively for a Buffett show or sent out a message perhaps we weren't meaning to send. Every chick in a bikini must want to be taken advantage of and of course all the fine, upstanding people here at BN turn their eyes away to uphold their moral authority.
VERY WELL SAID!!!
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.
iuparrothead
God's Own Drunk

Post by iuparrothead »

DsilCaribe wrote:
rednekkPH wrote:
DsilCaribe wrote: A group of 3 puerto rican guys start following her for about 2 blocks, and then push her into a dark alley. I don't know what happened next, i just kept on walking and minded my own business, but i'm sure whatever happened wasn't pretty.
You gotta be f*cking kidding me...
keep in mind this was about 5 years ago, i wasn't even 18, i was down there with my family and some friends. I wasn't about to go try and beat up some huge puerto rican guys who probably had knives that were at least 10 years older than me. I'm not a huge guy, i'm only 5'7 . . i would have nothing on these guys.

Could i have called for police? possibly, but according to you, police aren't much of a help compared to guns. Would i know where to find police, or even a telephone or what number to dial? no. Do i even know what street i'm on? no. Do i even know what part of the city i'm in?? not really, i just know that it doesn't look safe and i should probably be turning around. I saw these 3 huge Puerto Ricans push her into a alley. I was always taught to not get myself involved in a situation that i might later regret . . .well, i might have later regretted that. I was taught that when in dangerous cities, always stay with groups on the side of the street that is well light, and always look ahead and mind your own business if you want to stay out of trouble. I did just that.
As disturbing as it may seem... you did the right thing. It would be different if you were on your own turf, but you weren't. :-?
DeactiveCarib
I Love the Now!

Post by DeactiveCarib »

ph4ever wrote:
DsilCaribe wrote:
rednekkPH wrote:
DsilCaribe wrote: A group of 3 puerto rican guys start following her for about 2 blocks, and then push her into a dark alley. I don't know what happened next, i just kept on walking and minded my own business, but i'm sure whatever happened wasn't pretty.
keep in mind this was about 5 years ago, i wasn't even 18, i was down there with my family and some friends. I wasn't about to go try and beat up some huge puerto rican guys who probably had knives that were at least 10 years older than me. I'm not a huge guy, i'm only 5'7 . . i would have nothing on these guys.

Could i have called for police? possibly, but according to you, police aren't much of a help compared to guns. Would i know where to find police, or even a telephone or what number to dial? no. Do i even know what street i'm on? no. Do i even know what part of the city i'm in?? not really, i just know that it doesn't look safe and i should probably be turning around. I saw these 3 huge Puerto Ricans push her into a alley. I was always taught to not get myself involved in a situation that i might later regret . . .well, i might have later regretted that. I was taught that when in dangerous cities, always stay with groups on the side of the street that is well light, and always look ahead and mind your own business if you want to stay out of trouble. I did just that.
a. Puerto Rico is a US terratory
b. what if it had been your sister or mother?
c. it does not matter what a woman is wearing - she could be wearing sweats - when someone wants to rape they don't care what their victim is wearing
d. no matter what justification you throw out turning a blind eye to someone being attacked is WRONG.
i was with my entire family and a few friends. . . as a 16 year old, would you have done anything, especially when your own father says "just keep on walking guys". If at 16 years old you would have done something, i have great respect for you.

btw, Puerto Rico may be a US territory, but they have much animosity towards the USA.
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

buffettbride wrote:And I'm sure none of us have ever dressed provocatively for a Buffett show or sent out a message perhaps we weren't meaning to send. Every chick in a bikini must want to be taken advantage of and of course all the fine, upstanding people here at BN turn their eyes away to uphold their moral authority.
No, but I've learned to control the slobber.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

LIPH wrote:
buffettbride wrote:And I'm sure none of us have ever dressed provocatively for a Buffett show or sent out a message perhaps we weren't meaning to send. Every chick in a bikini must want to be taken advantage of and of course all the fine, upstanding people here at BN turn their eyes away to uphold their moral authority.
Was that why my wedding dress got all wet in Vegas?
rednekkPH
Party at the End of the World

Post by rednekkPH »

DsilCaribe wrote:...especially when your own father says "just keep on walking guys"...
That explains quite a bit.

I said my piece - I'm bowing out of this one.
PHBeerman
Here We Are

Post by PHBeerman »

rednekkPH wrote:
DsilCaribe wrote:...especially when your own father says "just keep on walking guys"...
That explains quite a bit.

I said my piece - I'm bowing out of this one.
Me too.
iuparrothead
God's Own Drunk

Post by iuparrothead »

LIPH wrote:
Your home health nurse keeps a drool towel next to your emesis basin?
LIPH
Last Man Standing

Post by LIPH »

DsilCaribe wrote:
ph4ever wrote:
DsilCaribe wrote:
rednekkPH wrote:

c. it does not matter what a woman is wearing - she could be wearing sweats - when someone wants to rape they don't care what their victim is wearing
d. no matter what justification you throw out turning a blind eye to someone being attacked is WRONG.
i was with my entire family and a few friends. . . as a 16 year old, would you have done anything, especially when your own father says "just keep on walking guys". If at 16 years old you would have done something, i have great respect for you.

btw, Puerto Rico may be a US territory, but they have much animosity towards the USA.
If you were by yourself, I could almost understand not doing anything. But your whole family and some friends and nobody even called the cops? Sorry, but you sound like a bunch of pussies.
buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

iuparrothead wrote:
LIPH wrote:
Oh hell Ann. Where's that squeegie?
ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer

Post by ph4ever »

DsilCaribe wrote:
ph4ever wrote:
DsilCaribe wrote:
rednekkPH wrote:

yes I would have done something at even 13 years old. And my father would have done something too. I was raised that if you are seeing a person being attacked, an animal being abused or a child being abused and you turn a blind eye - you are just as guilty as the person commiting the crime. Your whole entire family could have run down that alley screaming fire at the top of your lungs and possibly saved a woman from being raped or murdered.
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.
Lightning Bolt
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin To Reason...
Number of Concerts: 17
Location: Mt. Helix looking east to the future, west to this sunset

Post by Lightning Bolt »

iuparrothead wrote:
I wouldn't call it misogynistic, since when you look back to someone like Madonna who proclaimed that her dressing in a provocative way was not slutty,
but empowering to all women. Well, I'm sure it is! ...especially when you've got a pair of bodyguards with you! 8) :-?
$#@&...only Vegas again?? Padres ...gotta start believin'!Bring on '14 Spring Training!
iuparrothead
God's Own Drunk

Post by iuparrothead »

Lightning Bolt wrote:
iuparrothead wrote:
I wouldn't call it misogynistic, since when you look back to someone like Madonna who proclaimed that her dressing in a provocative way was not slutty,
but empowering to all women. Well, I'm sure it is! ...especially when you've got a pair of bodyguards with you! 8) :-?
Oh please... no matter how much feminism and women's rights groups have advanced the cause of women, this country as a whole is still predominatly patriarchal & misogynistic. There can't be any denying that. There may be an occasional female celebrity that makes statements on behalf of a women's advancement cause, but that is their statement, not a cultural shift for the entire country. :-?
LIPH
Last Man Standing

Post by LIPH »

iuparrothead wrote:
LIPH wrote:
Admit it, you're dying to be covered by old man drool.
UAHparrothead
Number of Concerts: 3
Location: Standing at the fine line between Saturday night and Sunday morning.

Post by UAHparrothead »

RinglingRingling wrote:
UAHparrothead wrote:What if it was your daughter missing? If it was mine I would want it on the news 24/7 until she was found or some solid answers were discovered. This guy is ragging on the Holloway family and making them out to be bums on the streets of Aruba asking Please sir May I have some more? They are down there trying to find their daughter, who is probably dead or worse and these assclown is gonna rag them on it. I'll go along with the whole news media taking advantage of this situation to get ratings and I can't stand Nancy Grace, but ragging on the family isn't right.
If it were my daughter missing, yes, I'd be working trying to find her. I would not be second-guessing the police in a foreign country and trying to use American logic as the standard for what they should or should not be doing. I also would not be on the news day in and day out. Time spent in front of the cameras is time you could be looking. (and not sticking your foot in your mouth)
I would be second guessing police in this country any dang where I could do. I would have every P.I., bounty hunter, and anyone else out looking for her. If getting on tv got the message out then I would be on it. They ought to send a battleship off the coast of Aruba and see how they feel about that.
rednekkPH

Post by rednekkPH »

LIPH wrote:
iuparrothead wrote:
LIPH wrote:
Admit it, you're dying to be covered by old man drool.
But it would take weeks to get the Poli-Grip out of her hair.