phjim
BN Webmaster
BN Webmaster
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration
Number of Concerts: 33
Favorite Boat Drink: Frozen Margarita

Article on LandShark Lager

Post by phjim »

The Palm Beach Post has an article on LandShark Lager: "Buffett's new beer masquerades as microbrew"
Havaña Dreamer
<font color=blue>Cultural Infidel</font>
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Havaña Dreamer »

OUCH!!
__________/(________________/(_____
Havaña Dreamer
__________________/(_______________
bravedave
At the Bama Breeze

Post by bravedave »

Reviews of LandShark have been less than glowing.
Writing on the United Nations of Beer Web site, reviewer Rob Zerr gave LandShark "a solid two fins down."
"The actual taste is clean enough, but so is tap water," he wrote.
Tallahassee.com beer columnist Doug Blackburn likewise was unimpressed.
"LandShark Lager lacks taste and flavor," he wrote. "At best, it qualifies as a lawn mower beer, a post-workout thirst quencher."
I trust that nobody is purchasing this brew in the hopes that it will be the best thing they've ever tasted. I plan on buying some, but I'm happy to make it my "lawn-mower beer" and pre-concert parking lot quaff.

Fins up!
“Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.”
- Kaiser Welhelm

"The call is a loud wulli-wulli, and there is much twittering at the drinking holes."
z-man
Here We Are

Post by z-man »

bravedave wrote: I trust that nobody is purchasing this brew in the hopes that it will be the best thing they've ever tasted. I plan on buying some, but I'm happy to make it my "lawn-mower beer" and pre-concert parking lot quaff.

Fins up!
IMHO, it is OK (at best)
I'll stick with Corona for my lawn mowing/ parking lot beer
Living my life...
One Tropical Day at a Time!

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

It's a bad beer. I'd venture a guess that if JB wasn't involved with it nobody here would drink it again after the first bottle.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
citcat
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: margarita

Post by citcat »

I'm still gonna try it, even though the hubby won't let me use the riding mower. [smilie=battingeyes.gif]

:lol:
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.
Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 15

Post by Quiet and Shy »

I wonder how reviewers would rate beers like Bud, Miller, Coors, etc.?
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far
bravedave
At the Bama Breeze

Post by bravedave »

Quiet and Shy wrote:I wonder how reviewers would rate beers like Bud, Miller, Coors, etc.?
http://www.tastings.com/
Coors Brewing Co. Coors Light.
Sweet floral and grainy aromas. Vibrant and very clean with a hint of dry, pale malt and a brisk and refreshing finish where a hint of hop bitters and dry, grainy character emerge.
WORLD BEER CHAMPIONSHIPS AWARD: Silver Medal
RATED: 85 points (Highly Recommended)
Anheuser Busch Bud Light.
Light floral aromas with a trace of hop character. Crisp and clean with a light-bodied palate and a short finish with minimal hop bittering.
WORLD BEER CHAMPIONSHIPS AWARD: Bronze Medal
RATED: 81 points (Recommended)
Anheuser Busch Michelob Light.
Delicate hoppy aromas have a floral theme. Follows through on a very clean moderately light-bodied palate with a brisk and refreshing finish where a dry, grainy character emerges and subtle hop flavors linger.
RATED: 86 points (Highly Recommended)
“Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.”
- Kaiser Welhelm

"The call is a loud wulli-wulli, and there is much twittering at the drinking holes."
Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by Quiet and Shy »

bravedave wrote:
Quiet and Shy wrote:I wonder how reviewers would rate beers like Bud, Miller, Coors, etc.?
http://www.tastings.com/
Coors Brewing Co. Coors Light.
Sweet floral and grainy aromas. Vibrant and very clean with a hint of dry, pale malt and a brisk and refreshing finish where a hint of hop bitters and dry, grainy character emerge.
RATED: 85 points (Highly Recommended)
Anheuser Busch Bud Light.
Light floral aromas with a trace of hop character. Crisp and clean with a light-bodied palate and a short finish with minimal hop bittering.
WORLD BEER CHAMPIONSHIPS AWARD: Bronze Medal
RATED: 81 points (Recommended)
Anheuser Busch Michelob Light.
Delicate hoppy aromas have a floral theme. Follows through on a very clean moderately light-bodied palate with a brisk and refreshing finish where a dry, grainy character emerges and subtle hop flavors linger.
RATED: 86 points (Highly Recommended)
Hmmm...thanks.

I see where tastings.com doesn't have any info on Landshark yet. I emailed them and asked if they'd be reviewing it soon.
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

Bwana Paul
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 200

Heh.

Post by Bwana Paul »

I think it's a good beer. I like Corona, but I like this MUCH MORE. Cleaner water probably.
Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by Quiet and Shy »

Quiet and Shy wrote: I see where tastings.com doesn't have any info on Landshark yet. I emailed them and asked if they'd be reviewing it soon.
Tastings.com replied: "No, they haven't sent it in for a review. Maybe later this year."

So they apparently don't buy their own beer.... :lol:

Gulfbreeze
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 8

Post by Gulfbreeze »

Quiet and Shy wrote:
Quiet and Shy wrote: I see where tastings.com doesn't have any info on Landshark yet. I emailed them and asked if they'd be reviewing it soon.
Tastings.com replied: "No, they haven't sent it in for a review. Maybe later this year."

So they apparently don't buy their own beer.... :lol:
I'm a little sad the article didn't include the bolded location, I think the Palm Beach Post is unfair and biased... :-?
LandShark is available in Margaritaville restaurants and will be sold at Buffett concerts, and Merry Pier on Pass-a-Grille Beach :lol:
OPHarbor
I need two more boat drinks

Post by OPHarbor »

I've tried it, two sixpacks worth. I think it has a much cleaner taste than Corona. Corona is too bitter, I'd much prefer Dos Equis, Modelo, or Pacifia.

I'd have to agree, it's a good yard work type of beer, but at $6.50-$8.00 a six pack, no thanks! Bring the price down to the Budweiser range, say $4.50-$5 and I'd buy it pretty much exclusively for my day-to-day beer.
Scars are Tattoo's with better stories!
lati2d
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 32
Favorite Boat Drink: Used to be Cape Codder

Re: Article on LandShark Lager

Post by lati2d »

That's OK - Budweiser has masqueraded as beer forever! I have drunk many many beers but Bud is , by far, my least favorite. So if it tastes anything like Budweiser - thanks but I'll pass.
" I don't want to burn in hell; I just want to be lightly browned."

Kent
Longboardn' ASEL&S
I Love the Now!

Post by Longboardn' ASEL&S »

Last night I was sitting at a sports bar with some long-time guy friends drinking Sierra Nevada, Bell's, Blue Moon, Sam Adams, Labatts, and Bud . (there were twelve of us)
I was trying to explain Landshark to them.
Suffice it to say that although half are audiophiles, and at least 4 or five are musicians, none have ever heard of Fins. Margaritaville of course, but when I tell these XM guys (GM and Honda country here) about Sirius 31, they ask:" What do they do, play Jimmy Buffett's only song over and over again?.
My parents WARNED me not to hang around with them, but who knew!
(We can do a MEAN acapella version of "Inna gada da vida" though).
Since none of them like Corona, and the Jimmy factor means nothing to this crew, I completly understood there quizical look when I described bringing back a case of Landshark Lager from FL.
Let's face it, if your not looking for a Corona substitute and feel nothing special about communing with Parrotheads, your not gonna pay even Bud prices for the stuff.
My friends are'nt all bad, half of them love Reggae, most vacation in the tropics, and they all know how to party.
They have their own quirks, as I have mine.
Oh well. I saved the Landshark for myself. Why waste it on those that could never appreciate it?
Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by Quiet and Shy »

Longboardn' ASEL&S wrote:Last night I was sitting at a sports bar with some long-time guy friends drinking Sierra Nevada, Bell's, Blue Moon, Sam Adams, Labatts, and Bud . (there were twelve of us)
I was trying to explain Landshark to them.
Suffice it to say that although half are audiophiles, and at least 4 or five are musicians, none have ever heard of Fins. Margaritaville of course, but when I tell these XM guys (GM and Honda country here) about Sirius 31, they ask:" What do they do, play Jimmy Buffett's only song over and over again?.
My parents WARNED me not to hang around with them, but who knew!
(We can do a MEAN acapella version of "Inna gada da vida" though).
Since none of them like Corona, and the Jimmy factor means nothing to this crew, I completly understood there quizical look when I described bringing back a case of Landshark Lager from FL.
Let's face it, if your not looking for a Corona substitute and feel nothing special about communing with Parrotheads, your not gonna pay even Bud prices for the stuff.
My friends are'nt all bad, half of them love Reggae, most vacation in the tropics, and they all know how to party.
They have their own quirks, as I have mine.
Oh well. I saved the Landshark for myself. Why waste it on those that could never appreciate it?
What a great example of why general test marketing is so key before launching the Landshark brand nationally (will it sell to anyone but Buffett fans?), and why it's still such an odd move for Bud to have taken on their own investment (Corona).

Longboardn' ASEL&S
I Love the Now!

Quiet and Shy wrote:
... it's still such an odd move for Bud to have taken on their own investment (Corona).
Not really so. AB launched Mic Ultra to cash in on the low carb craze (junk-science used to justify good carbs vs bad carbs, despite the caloric equivalance), and marketed it directly against Bud Light and Michalob Light!!!!!

Does AB own Corona?
Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by Quiet and Shy »

Longboardn' ASEL&S wrote:
Quiet and Shy wrote:
... it's still such an odd move for Bud to have taken on their own investment (Corona).
Not really so. AB launched Mic Ultra to cash in on the low carb craze (junk-science used to justify good carbs vs bad carbs, despite the caloric equivalance), and marketed it directly against Bud Light and Michalob Light!!!!!

Does AB own Corona?
But Mic Ultra was after a different segment...the low carb...and was developed as an answer to Miller Lite's ads highlighting how many fewer carbs it had than Bud Light...whereas Landshark is aimed squarely at Corona.

AB owns 49% of Modelo, the Corona brewer. So unless the Mexican government is about to toss out foreign owners (not at all likely), it's an incredibly risky move for AB.

Landshark is to Corona as Hoot was to MI3.

Longboardn' ASEL&S
I Love the Now!

Quiet and Shy wrote:
Landshark is to Corona as Hoot was to MI3.
Even Coke has made big mistakes, in addition to the "New" Coke fiasco.
Remember Lemon Coke? Turned out everyone wanted sweeter colas, like vanilla and cherry.
Longboardn' ASEL&S
I Love the Now!

Quiet and Shy wrote: it's an incredibly risky move for AB.
The above quote was what I meant to respond to in the previous post.