Southern Cross - Why does RM......?

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

jackiesic
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 13
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita with Salt
Location: "Surf's Up! Surf City, New Jersey! Let's Go!" Jimmy Buffett 6-14-08 Philly Con

Southern Cross - Why does RM......?

Post by jackiesic »

Why does RM play the recording where Jimmy messes up the words? There has to be 100 good recordings.
Jackie
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
FINSUPinIdaho
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: APLA40
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Why, you buying???

Post by FINSUPinIdaho »

He just about messes up on all the live songs that are played, Pascagoula Run is way bad...Gotta love it though...
SharkOnLand
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by SharkOnLand »

I'd imagine it's off of one of the most recent live releases, so they can drive CD sales... I'm not sure how playing a 'substandard' version would make anyone want to buy that release though....
Image Image
PJ
Gypsies in the palace

Post by PJ »

Messes up the words how? I don't know which version they played that you are referring to, but I don't think I've ever heard a JB version of Cross that matches exactly to the CSN version. Every one of Jimmy's versions that I've heard (and I am sure I haven't heard them all) have the "on this heading off the wind" reversed from the CSNY album recording. One is sung "on this heading off the wind, lie the Marquesas." The other is sung "off the wind on this heading lie the Marquesas." To be honest, right off the bat I can't tell you which is the CSN album phrase and which is the Jimmy phrase.
UpstateNYPH
Behind Door #3

Post by UpstateNYPH »

They play Burn That Bridge all the time which I think is from the Auburn show, where Jimmy and the band totally screw up the end of the song horribly. They should play the version from Live in Hawaii, it is perfect.
~Mike

Want this badge?</div>
BigR-KyParrothead
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Knee Deep w/ZBB
Number of Concerts: 49
Favorite Boat Drink: Fat Tire

Post by BigR-KyParrothead »

it's from the fenway show i believe...he butchers the first line pretty bad
FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Crown Royal & Ginger Ale

Post by FunkHouse9 »

PJ wrote:Messes up the words how?
I can't tell you exactly what he says or where in the song it is, but he doesn't mess up the verse, he slaughters it. I have to agree that with so many versions out there, it's a bad choice to play that one. I cringe every time I hear it.
Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.
Big Red Parrothead
I gotta go where it's warm
Location: "If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Post by Big Red Parrothead »

I was at a show in Denver a few years back when he got distracted by something and forgot where he was in the song during the middle of Margaritaville. :o :lol:

It was really funny at the time and he was laughing about it afterwards. But I agree that it probably wouldn't be the best selling point if you were trying to sell that on a live album.
pbans
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 9

Post by pbans »

PJ wrote:Messes up the words how? I don't know which version they played that you are referring to, but I don't think I've ever heard a JB version of Cross that matches exactly to the CSN version. Every one of Jimmy's versions that I've heard (and I am sure I haven't heard them all) have the "on this heading off the wind" reversed from the CSNY album recording. One is sung "on this heading off the wind, lie the Marquesas." The other is sung "off the wind on this heading lie the Marquesas." To be honest, right off the bat I can't tell you which is the CSN album phrase and which is the Jimmy phrase.
I just happen to be listening to Daylight Again..................

"off the wind on this heading lie the Marquesas" is the line on the CSN version......

I love this song....have loved it since before Buffett started covering it....and I really do (GASP) like the CSN version better.....my favorite line in that song is "Somebody fine will come along make me forget about loving you At the southern cross"......the CSN version emphasizes it more and I like that..........

but I digress.......but of course I digress because I don't remember what the original topic was......
Paige in Utah
"Don't try to shake it, just nod your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on"
PJ
Gypsies in the palace

Post by PJ »

pbans wrote:I just happen to be listening to Daylight Again..................

"off the wind on this heading lie the Marquesas" is the line on the CSN version......

I love this song....have loved it since before Buffett started covering it....and I really do (GASP) like the CSN version better.....my favorite line in that song is "Somebody fine will come along make me forget about loving you At the southern cross"......the CSN version emphasizes it more and I like that..........
Thanks for the clarification, I had been listening to both songs in mp3 version earlier today and didn't feel like going back to them just to get the right order of that line.

I won't say I like one version better than the other because they are so different. The CSN version is a wistful song about love or love lost. Jimmy's version is much livelier and upbeat.
SoCalParrothead
Southeast of disorder

Post by SoCalParrothead »

I thought I was the only one to recognize this. I have thought this since I first heard his recording - I think on TTS. Daylight again is one of my fav albums of all time. I also agree, Jimmy's version isn't even close to CSN.
Mike & Tricia - SoCal Parrotheads
_______/)___*_______
Beneath the moonlit sky
Shadows walk beside the water
Sad goodbyes whispered on the shore
Hear those wind chimes play
They serenade the shadow lovers
Sing and fade away
Like California promises
PhutureMD
I gotta go where it's warm
Favorite Buffett Song: Farside Of The World
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Beer, Beer, and, um, Beer. And Appleton's!

Post by PhutureMD »

Makes me laugh every time, before a live version of This Hotel Room, he says please sing along if you know the words, if you don't know the words, don't sing along. And then just kills the lyrics! Humor is where you find it :lol: . Peace
Live. Love. Laugh. Repeat.
SharkOnLand

Post by SharkOnLand »

I just heard it a little bit ago on RM... in the first verse he sings "we got 80 feet of waterline on the outside" instead of "we were making for the trades on the outside". The "80 feet of waterline" is from the second verse...

It's one of those things that bothers me so :)
Image Image
MrTwain
Havana Daydreamin'
Favorite Buffett Song: Right Now --> La Vie Dansante (It changes often)
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Captain Morgan & Coke

Post by MrTwain »

Right after the release of Take The Weather With You, he performed Bama Breeze on Emeril Live. He messed up the words real bad then too.

But I'm with you. That Southern Cross Version is bad. "And I'm tearing all 'da way.. my tears are a'dyin'" ...mumble mumble mumble

I still love it. It's better than the Crosby Stills & Nash version to me.
There's no Dumbass Vaccine
TropicalTroubador
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in front of me.

Post by TropicalTroubador »

SharkOnLand wrote:
I just heard it a little bit ago on RM... in the first verse he sings "we got 80 feet of waterline on the outside" instead of "we were making for the trades on the outside". The "80 feet of waterline" is from the second verse...

I believe we'd have to call that part of the first verse. The second verse has the same 8-line structure.

It's a slightly unconventional song, structure-wise. There's 8 lines of verse, the 4-line prechorus, and a 3(?) line chorus ("I have been around the world..."). Then there's a second 8-line verse, prechorus, chorus, and a 4-line half-verse and one-line tag to end the song.

The lyrics are online in various databases; I'm too lazy to look 'em up right now. I perform a version that's got elements of both the CSN version and the Buffett version in it. It works fine in my world, and people love it.

The song that *I* hear Jimmy screw up repeatedly in live shows is "Jolly Mon." Usually he does something odd on the chorus, especially the changing line in the 4th verse is usually "Give 'em everything" when performed live, and "make the oceans ring" on the studio version.

*I* think it's all part of the fun of live shows.
Living my life on Island Standard Time...
Island Standard Time - the new Trop Rock album from Loren Davidson - now available!

http://www.lorendavidson.com
SharkOnLand

Post by SharkOnLand »

TropicalTroubador wrote:
SharkOnLand wrote:

I believe we'd have to call that part of the first verse. The second verse has the same 8-line structure.

It's a slightly unconventional song, structure-wise. There's 8 lines of verse, the 4-line prechorus, and a 3(?) line chorus ("I have been around the world..."). Then there's a second 8-line verse, prechorus, chorus, and a 4-line half-verse and one-line tag to end the song.

The lyrics are online in various databases; I'm too lazy to look 'em up right now. I perform a version that's got elements of both the CSN version and the Buffett version in it. It works fine in my world, and people love it.

The song that *I* hear Jimmy screw up repeatedly in live shows is "Jolly Mon." Usually he does something odd on the chorus, especially the changing line in the 4th verse is usually "Give 'em everything" when performed live, and "make the oceans ring" on the studio version.

*I* think it's all part of the fun of live shows.
I don't mind hearing it live, when he 'enhances' the lyrics. ;) It gets a little grating when RM plays the song bunches. It seems like this is the only copy of Southern Cross they've got in rotation, it just bugs me.
Image Image
sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

"on the downrind wun" :lol:
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"
Dancin'Queen
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Number of Concerts: 6

Post by Dancin'Queen »

*I* think it's all part of the fun of live shows.[/quote]

*I* think you are exactly right!
Life is short... forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.
Monkey
We are the People our Parents Warned us

Post by Monkey »

This one drive me nuts too, out of all the live recordings they play some of the most messed up (lyrically) version they can find. Last verse first, then the 2nd verse then the last one again... yay.
jackiesic
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 13
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita with Salt
Location: "Surf's Up! Surf City, New Jersey! Let's Go!" Jimmy Buffett 6-14-08 Philly Con

Post by jackiesic »

SharkOnLand wrote:

Yep, that's the one. He does "80 feet of waterline and then on the second time around the band kinda catches up with where he is.
Jackie
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~