My Advice to the Moderators

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

ragtopW
Last Man Standing
Posts: 39119
Joined: December 18, 2001 7:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by ragtopW »

MikeInNOLA wrote:
KeetAtHeart wrote:I agree that it's not practical to summarize long threads, but I also see Coug's point that people miss out on important topics when they're buried in long threads.
I see Coug's point too...heck, usually by Page 3 the discussion isn't even relevant to the original thread. :roll:

NOTE: This is PAGE THREE... <sigh>
do you think that sometimes that is on purpose??

SMLCHNG
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 175007
Joined: December 6, 2001 7:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner
Location: Castle Rock, CO

Post by SMLCHNG »

Y-NO-9-O wrote:I'm sorry, I just got here. I don't want to read both pages of this thread, can someone just summarize it for me?

I have an idea, wouldn't it be great if someone had a summary thread that summarized all the threads going? Then, as it grew, someone could summarize the summary thread.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Could you please summarize your request?? ;)

ragtopW
Last Man Standing
Posts: 39119
Joined: December 18, 2001 7:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by ragtopW »

Y-NO-9-O wrote:I'm sorry, I just got here. I don't want to read both pages of this thread, can someone just summarize it for me?

I have an idea, wouldn't it be great if someone had a summary thread that summarized all the threads going? Then, as it grew, someone could summarize the summary thread.
Larrys hot,Jodi sells popcorn, the Mods ROCK.
Pirates need Wenches,Santa likes Beer..

8) 8)

tryin' to reason
Hoot!
Posts: 2189
Joined: June 13, 2003 10:15 am
Number of Concerts: 25
Location: New Hampshire

Post by tryin' to reason »

This thread has become WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too long!
Let's stop here, summarize it, reference it in post #1 of a new thread, index it, archive it, translate it, then shred it!!


:wink: :lol: 8) :pirate:
We'll party just like Bubba does,
We'll do the Old Man proud!

SMLCHNG
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 175007
Joined: December 6, 2001 7:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner
Location: Castle Rock, CO

Post by SMLCHNG »

ragtopW wrote:
Y-NO-9-O wrote:I'm sorry, I just got here. I don't want to read both pages of this thread, can someone just summarize it for me?

I have an idea, wouldn't it be great if someone had a summary thread that summarized all the threads going? Then, as it grew, someone could summarize the summary thread.
Larrys hot,Jodi sells popcorn, the Mods ROCK.
Pirates need Wenches,Santa likes Beer..

8) 8)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SMLCHNG
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 175007
Joined: December 6, 2001 7:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner
Location: Castle Rock, CO

Post by SMLCHNG »

tryin' to reason wrote:This thread has become WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too long!
Let's stop here, summarize it, reference it in post #1 of a new thread, index it, archive it, translate it, then shred it!!


:wink: :lol: 8) :pirate:
LMAO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MikeInNOLA
Fruitcake
Posts: 967
Joined: February 18, 2002 7:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Contact:

Post by MikeInNOLA »

ragtopW wrote:
MikeInNOLA wrote:
KeetAtHeart wrote:I agree that it's not practical to summarize long threads, but I also see Coug's point that people miss out on important topics when they're buried in long threads.
I see Coug's point too...heck, usually by Page 3 the discussion isn't even relevant to the original thread. :roll:

NOTE: This is PAGE THREE... <sigh>
do you think that sometimes that is on purpose??
No, I don't THINK so...I know so.

If you are not interested in the thread, why bother to comment? And, the moderators are just as guilty as others....just see page 3 and 4.
Mike Billings
Repatriated Louisianian!

- - -
ImageImageImage

SMLCHNG
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 175007
Joined: December 6, 2001 7:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner
Location: Castle Rock, CO

Post by SMLCHNG »

MikeInNOLA wrote: If you are not interested in the thread, why bother to comment? And, the moderators are just as guilty as others....just see page 3 and 4.
1. Human Nature.

2. Moderators (yes, we volunteered) read ALL threads and posts.

3. Human Nature. ;) Just like any conversation you might have in person - it will sometimes take a different turn and go in a totally different direction. :)

PHAW Webmistress
Parrothead Pimpette
Posts: 56196
Joined: June 16, 2001 8:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Someplace Warm :-)
Contact:

Post by PHAW Webmistress »

tryin' to reason wrote:This thread has become WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too long!
Let's stop here, summarize it, reference it in post #1 of a new thread, index it, archive it, translate it, then shred it!!


:wink: :lol: 8) :pirate:
don't forget to recycle after shredding :lol:

MikeInNOLA
Fruitcake
Posts: 967
Joined: February 18, 2002 7:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Contact:

Post by MikeInNOLA »

SMLCHNG wrote:
MikeInNOLA wrote: If you are not interested in the thread, why bother to comment? And, the moderators are just as guilty as others....just see page 3 and 4.
1. Human Nature.

2. Moderators (yes, we volunteered) read ALL threads and posts.

3. Human Nature. ;) Just like any conversation you might have in person - it will sometimes take a different turn and go in a totally different direction. :)
1. Not all Human's nature.

2. Yeah, I know you volunteer...and I appreciate it.

3. If the CONVERSATION took a different turn, it would be appropriate. Others injecting nonsense to hijack a thread or to just hear themselves in font is another. Unfortunately, you are right...it is an all too common human trait here.
Last edited by MikeInNOLA on May 10, 2007 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Billings
Repatriated Louisianian!

- - -
ImageImageImage

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Posts: 63681
Joined: April 24, 2001 8:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

Somebody comes on here, says a thread's too long and he doesn't have time to read it but he wants someone else to take the time to summarize it for him and you expect anyone to take him seriously? Beam back down from that alternate universe and get a grip on reality.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

MikeInNOLA
Fruitcake
Posts: 967
Joined: February 18, 2002 7:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Contact:

Post by MikeInNOLA »

LIPH wrote:Somebody comes on here, says a thread's too long and he doesn't have time to read it but he wants someone else to take the time to summarize it for him and you expect anyone to take him seriously? Beam back down from that alternate universe and get a grip on reality.
I agree...a summary is asking a bit much. Keeping threads on topic would rectify the problem.

The reality is it never has, nor never will happen here. But, it sure would be nice if you went to read a thread about "<insert subject here>" and it stayed on topic. It would be easy enough to moderate by removing postings not on topics (ie: pies, sporks, smileys with no comments, etc).

It is what it is...
Mike Billings
Repatriated Louisianian!

- - -
ImageImageImage

Tiki Bar
Thank God the Tiki Torch Still Shines
Posts: 23767
Joined: August 30, 2002 12:13 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour / Tin Cup Chalice medley!
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Friends don't let friends drink tequila! Beer me!
Location: location location

Post by Tiki Bar »

SMLCHNG wrote:2. Moderators (yes, we volunteered) read ALL threads and posts.
Dang! I have some serious catching up to do! :o
You’re still grinning, we’re still winning, nothing left to say
I’m still gliding as I go flying down this endless wave

SMLCHNG
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 175007
Joined: December 6, 2001 7:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner
Location: Castle Rock, CO

Post by SMLCHNG »

MikeInNOLA wrote: But, it sure would be nice if you went to read a thread about "<insert subject here>" and it stayed on topic. It would be easy enough to moderate by removing postings not on topics (ie: pies, sporks, smileys with no comments, etc).
It is what it is...
Yeah, it'd be nice for some. And then we'd have others who would complain that this place is moderated too much, and there's no "free speech". :roll: :wink:

SMLCHNG
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 175007
Joined: December 6, 2001 7:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner
Location: Castle Rock, CO

Post by SMLCHNG »

Tiki Bar wrote:
SMLCHNG wrote:2. Moderators (yes, we volunteered) read ALL threads and posts.
Dang! I have some serious catching up to do! :o
Get on that, will ya?? :lol: :lol: But AFTER you make plane reservations.

Gulfbreeze
On a Salty Piece of Land
Posts: 12387
Joined: January 16, 2005 11:38 am
Number of Concerts: 8
Location: Gulf Coast of Florida
Contact:

Post by Gulfbreeze »

SMLCHNG wrote:Yeah, it'd be nice for some. And then we'd have others who would complain that this place is moderated too much, and there's no "free speech". :roll: :wink:
Didn't Jah get banned??? :o
Image

alphabits
God's Own Drunk
Posts: 24326
Joined: April 27, 2006 11:03 am
Number of Concerts: 8
Location: Bitsylvania

Post by alphabits »

Gratuitous smiley break ...... 8)

Perhaps the manner of submission should be changed.
Rather than a post showing up immediately after the "Submit" button is pushed, it would instead go to a hold area. Items in the hold area would be reviewed by an editorial board who would evaluate it for appropriateness in the target thread. If a majority of the board agrees that it is appropriate, it would then be "officially" posted to the thread.

24/7/365 - how many people do you suppose it would take to serve as members of the editorial board?

nutmeg
Last Man Standing
Posts: 30366
Joined: September 7, 2001 8:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Barefoot Children (this week)
Number of Concerts: 10
Location: Middle of the Mitten

Post by nutmeg »

SMLCHNG wrote:
MikeInNOLA wrote: But, it sure would be nice if you went to read a thread about "<insert subject here>" and it stayed on topic. It would be easy enough to moderate by removing postings not on topics (ie: pies, sporks, smileys with no comments, etc).
It is what it is...
Yeah, it'd be nice for some. And then we'd have others who would complain that this place is moderated too much, and there's no "free speech". :roll: :wink:
OK so for example we kept to the topic of identifying the date for the fellow's tour shirt and the mods deleted any crazy posts about "dating a shirt" we'd be missing out on a lot of fun. I say we just go with the flow. The unexpected roads we follow are sometimes more interesting than a planned trip.
Friends Walk Together in Life's Garden
ImageImageImage
http://heartofmichiganrescue.com/

SMLCHNG
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 175007
Joined: December 6, 2001 7:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner
Location: Castle Rock, CO

Post by SMLCHNG »

Gulfbreeze wrote:
SMLCHNG wrote:Yeah, it'd be nice for some. And then we'd have others who would complain that this place is moderated too much, and there's no "free speech". :roll: :wink:
Didn't Jah get banned??? :o
Yes.... but he's not the only one who has commented over the years. :)

buffettbride
Last Man Standing
Posts: 32700
Joined: April 6, 2004 11:43 am
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Cuba Libre

Post by buffettbride »

I think mods need to do more poopie making and boobie grabbing. That is all.
Image

Locked