Camden Safety

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

mrcleanwell

Camden Safety

Post by mrcleanwell »

I'm going to Camden this year for the first time and a little bit freaked out.

I keep reading how it is on of the most dangerous cities, extremely ghetto, and not a very safe place to be at 11:30 at night.

So phellow Camden-goers, is it as bad as I am fearing? Is the venue right off the highway or do you have to venture through burnt out projects to get there? Is the parking lot safe? I assume if the city is as bad as everyone says than the thugs most prey on the thousands of unwatched cars in the lots.

Please put my mind at ease :)
Skibo
Hoot!

Post by Skibo »

You will be safe. Park in one of the venue lots and stay on the main roads leaving.
Rub yours on me and I'll rub mine on you
rednekkPH
Party at the End of the World
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by rednekkPH »

Skibo wrote:You will be safe. Park in one of the venue lots and stay on the main roads leaving.
And don't stop for stop signs or red lights on your way out. And dont make eye contact with the street corner denziens. And try not to breathe (this is good advice anywhere in Jersey).
flipflopgirl
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 53
Favorite Boat Drink: Z-Man's MANGO THINGIES!!!!!
Location: I have been promoted from John Frinzi's stalker to ROADIE!!!! :)

Post by flipflopgirl »

Skibo wrote:You will be safe. Park in one of the venue lots and stay on the main roads leaving.
and leave right after the concert. The is a LARGE police presence on the streets around the venue but i don't know how long they are there!
Image "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats." Mark Twain
buffettbride
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Cuba Libre

Post by buffettbride »

I miss New Jersey.
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

flipflopgirl wrote:
and leave right after the concert. The is a LARGE police presence on the streets around the venue but i don't know how long they are there!
they can only hold the line so long before being overwhelmed?
green1
Hoot!

Re: Camden Safety

Post by green1 »

mrcleanwell wrote:I keep reading how it is on of the most dangerous cities, extremely ghetto, and not a very safe place to be at 11:30 at night.
Well, when they issue concert goers bullet proof vests you gotta wonder about security. Just make sure that yours hasn't already stopped a bullet. When they do, they loose some of their effectiveness, so look on the underside and see if there are any blood stains, or if the lining has been resown. If either of these things are there ask the people handing them out for another one, and keep doing that until you get one that passes your inspection. Other than that, enjoy the show.
puckhead
Invalid Email Address

Post by puckhead »

mrcleanwell wrote:I'm going to Camden this year for the first time and a little bit freaked out.

I keep reading how it is on of the most dangerous cities, extremely ghetto, and not a very safe place to be at 11:30 at night.

So phellow Camden-goers, is it as bad as I am fearing? Is the venue right off the highway or do you have to venture through burnt out projects to get there? Is the parking lot safe? I assume if the city is as bad as everyone says than the thugs most prey on the thousands of unwatched cars in the lots.

This is too funny.

Yes, Camden is one of the most dangerous cities in America and yes, you may even see some slums, but I can assure you that you will not have any problems getting to or from the venue.

The road into the venue is very direct and you will feel relatively safe. Once inide the parking lots, you will not even know that you are in one of America's poorest cities.

The lots are as safe as any other venue lot I have parked in, and the only real problems you will find in the lots are from drunk concert-goers who show little respect for cleanliness, sanitation and for other people's belongings (I once had an entire trash bag of bottles dump underneath my car by some drunk b@stards).

On the way out, the police stay until the lots are empty (I know becuase I have sat in the lots until 12:30 waiting for the traffic to die down). The police line the streets on the way out and direct traffic (ensuring that you don't get lost, becuase getting lost in Camden would be dangerous).

So all that said, you will be safe (relativel speaking) and you will have a good time. DON"T WORRY.
Last edited by puckhead on June 5, 2007 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
puckhead
Invalid Email Address

Post by puckhead »

green1 wrote:
mrcleanwell wrote:I keep reading how it is on of the most dangerous cities, extremely ghetto, and not a very safe place to be at 11:30 at night.
Well, when they issue concert goers bullet proof vests you gotta wonder about security. Just make sure that yours hasn't already stopped a bullet. When they do, they loose some of their effectiveness, so look on the underside and see if there are any blood stains, or if the lining has been resown. If either of these things are there ask the people handing them out for another one, and keep doing that until you get one that passes your inspection. Other than that, enjoy the show.
Damn, I thought it was left-over ketchup from the conert the year before on the vest they gave me...I better examine the vest a little better this year.

Also, I heard that they are issuing floral pattern bullet proof vests this year for the JB concert.
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

I seem to remember a forum called "Pre-Concert Gatherings/Who's Going To ..." where we would all go to discuss plans for various concerts. Maybe the title is a little too subtle. :lol:
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
green1
Hoot!

Post by green1 »

puckhead wrote:Also, I heard that they are issuing floral pattern bullet proof vests this year for the JB concert.
It's really just a floral print hospital gown to be worn over the vest. That way, when they wheel you into the hospital after getting jacked in the parking lot they don't have to get one for you.
Skibo
Hoot!

Post by Skibo »

This thread reminds me why I skip the Camden show and fly west for the Vegas show every year.
Rub yours on me and I'll rub mine on you
ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

mrcleanwell wrote:I'm going to Camden this year for the first time and a little bit freaked out.

Give me your ticket.. I will come back and report on
the best way to go and be safe in New Jersey..

8) 8)
then you can go next year.. :pirate:
PA PAR8 HED
Hoot!

Post by PA PAR8 HED »

The city of Camden does a pretty good job to make sure we all have a good expreience at the concert. And that goes for most of the shows at the venue.

With that said, don't forget where you are. Lock your car, hide your valuables out of site and don't take any chances. (good advice anywhere you go these days).

99% of the people have a great time without incident. I heard worse stories from the parking lots at the Citizens Bank Park in Philly.

I'll see you there without my bullet proof vest! :D
My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell all my Buffett stuff for what I said I paid for it!
moog
Last Man Standing

Post by moog »

I find many people at the Camden concert are jerkoffs rather then the locals.

Thus, I'll be there.
It is a nice spot on the river.
Cooper is a trauma center, and you'll get there within the golden hour.

Jersey may have a smell between exits 14 and 12 on the Turnpike, but that's how we get lower gas prices.
bravedave
At the Bama Breeze

Post by bravedave »

No beber el agua.
“Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.”
- Kaiser Welhelm

"The call is a loud wulli-wulli, and there is much twittering at the drinking holes."
popcornjack
Changing Channels
Favorite Buffett Song: Biloxi
Number of Concerts: 75
Favorite Boat Drink: Dos Equis

Post by popcornjack »

LIPH wrote:I seem to remember a forum called "Pre-Concert Gatherings/Who's Going To ..." where we would all go to discuss plans for various concerts. Maybe the title is a little too subtle. :lol:
Cut the guy (or gal) some slack. they're not asking "Whose bringing the blender?"

Been to Camden three times. never had a problem.
Take me for what I am, a star newly emerging.
I accept the new found man, and I set the twilight reeling.
pfopma
I have found me a home

Post by pfopma »

I've been to every Camden show and only two bad things have happened - two years ago I got a splinter in my leg from one of the treated wood benches near the marina. It was in pretty deep. Of course it broke off when I tried to pull it out so I went to first aid and they handed me a bandaid. I know two people who ended up in the hospital after getting splinters from treated wood so the next day I decided to go to the doctor to have the rest of it removed - it was already getting infected. The margarita's I had at the show for medicinal purposes didn't help at all.

I also had a Pirate antenna topper stolen - I doubt it was one of the locals!
specks
I have found me a home

Post by specks »

I have been to every Camden concert, that Jimmy has ever done in the beautiful city of Camden (lol) and the only problem I've ever had is with the drunk party goer, you know the non- parrothead kind. Other than that and 100+ degree weather last year. It's actually a great venue to see a concert. The seats all have a pretty good view, the lawn is great and there are plenty of ladies room stalls (the line moves quick). I know everyone has there favorite tailgate place, Camden is definately one of mine. Just don't venture of the main streets and you'll be fine.
Living the life. I've got palm trees in MY yard!!!!!
Moonie
User banned 30 days

Post by Moonie »

the parking lot after the show was incrediably nasty. broken glass everywhile...huge mounds of...well, whatever.

but that's from the tailgaters, not the venue, per se...

When it goes from full to crescent...I move in and out of tune...Everlasting Moon.... Image