Buffett News and Comments

Moderator: SMLCHNG

FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Crown Royal & Ginger Ale

Post by FunkHouse9 »

Since I have nothing better to do, I started writing him an e-mail which turned into a 2,422 word review of his concert review and then my own review of the concert. I also requested a reply and can't wait to see what he says (if I get one). I got agitated because it's so badly written and there's some arrogance in there. The stuff about his "driver" cutting around everybody on the way in and not stopping for pedestrians on the way out was sickening. [smilie=hate.gif] :evil: Comparing Jimmy's vocals to Van Morrison's would be relevant in an album review, but not a concert review.

By far the best part of his article was the quote "I love concerts. They're like mini-vacations." That was just journalistic brilliance. Was it Thomas Jefferson or Friedrich Nietzsche that originally said that? Sounds more like something my little niece might say. [smilie=battingeyes.gif]

He summed it up perfectly at the end when he said "He could have used an opening act -- although I guess the Parrotheads wouldn't agree." He's admiting that he doesn't belong there. :roll:
Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

FunkHouse9 wrote:By far the best part of his article was the quote "I love concerts. They're like mini-vacations." That was just journalistic brilliance. Was it Thomas Jefferson or Friedrich Nietzsche that originally said that? Sounds more like something my little niece might say. [smilie=battingeyes.gif]
He was quoting a fan at the show when he wrote the line abut mini-vacations, it wasn't something the writer said.

I don't understand why people are getting so worked up over this review. A writer who's reviewing a concert isn't supposed to be a fan, he's supposed to be a reporter giving his opinion of the show. The fact that you don't agree with his review doesn't mean it's a bad article. I don't think it's badly written at all. What I do think is the guy was lazy because he got some things wrong which tells me he didn't do his homework before the show. But the part about the concert being too long and needing an opening act isn't too far off the mark when you look at some other performers. I've gone to several non-Buffett concerts this year. Most of them had opening acts and at some of them the headliners barely played a 90 minute set. Maybe those are the kind of shows this guy's been reviewing so that's how he looked at Buffett's show.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
irishcajunphan
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On!
Number of Concerts: 16
Favorite Boat Drink: margarita

Post by irishcajunphan »

That was a waste of a perfectly good third row seat.
GEAUX SAINTS!!! and GEAUX TIGERS!!!
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Tonight I Just Need My Guitar *and* Southern Cross
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by East Texas Parrothead »

irishcajunphan wrote:That was a waste of a perfectly good third row seat.
Well said, ICPh.

I don't get the guy's take on "Southern Cross." Jimmy kicks the hell outta that one. Every. Single. Time. :D
Gentilly ... 42 years is a long time to wait .... a Northeast Texas woman can hope.
My love is an anchor tied to you, tied with a silver chain.
karat
Lester Polyester
Number of Concerts: 26
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita with Passion Berry
Location: "I’m just hangin’ on while this old world keeps spinning." (It's a freakin' tilt-a-whirl!)

Post by karat »

Crap am I behind!

I have to read the article....looks like a good one...

Trying to plan out Vegas - you know priorities!
~ Karat
(I am a Travel Agent)
Grams
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Grams »

East Texas Parrothead wrote:
Well said, ICPh.

I don't get the guy's take on "Southern Cross." Jimmy kicks the hell outta that one. Every. Single. Time. :D
Amen to that ETP and he did a Kick A$$ job on it Saturday night!!!
FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Crown Royal & Ginger Ale

Post by FunkHouse9 »

LIPH wrote:
FunkHouse9 wrote:By far the best part of his article was the quote "I love concerts. They're like mini-vacations." That was just journalistic brilliance. Was it Thomas Jefferson or Friedrich Nietzsche that originally said that? Sounds more like something my little niece might say. [smilie=battingeyes.gif]
He was quoting a fan at the show when he wrote the line abut mini-vacations, it wasn't something the writer said.
That was me trying to be witty. What I was getting at is that quote seems to serve as little more than filler (which there was lots of). He could have done minimal research and quoted a song that conveyed the spirit of the evening or said something useful.

As for getting worked up, the only thing that got me going is that it's so badly written and that he talks about how "his driver" drove around all of the cars trying to get in, pushed his way out and wouldn't let anybody walk past. He wanted to get in and get out as quickly as possible and then criticized Buffett for skipping out immediately.

He didn't make much of an attempt to see things for what the were. He spent 2 paragraphs talking about a few people in superhero costumes. It could have been about the tons of people in hula skirts and the people setting up tiki bars (aka something relevant to the buffett theme). It was very badly written and the whole review seems arrogant to me.
Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.
caly
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Come Monday
Favorite Boat Drink: skinny pirate
Location: St. Thomas, but not the one in U.S.V.I....Canada!!!

Post by caly »

I don't say the critic should be a fan, but they should know who they are going to see and what true followers expect.
A little homework on the facts would have been beneficial to him as well.
big hat carmen
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by big hat carmen »

Does sound like he was at the same show that I was. And I love Southern Cross 8)
miparrot4
Southeast of disorder

Post by miparrot4 »

When I read the article, I immediately replied back to the author that he must not have been paying much attention from Row 3 because I would doubt Jimmy passed anybody a Corona but more likely a Landshark Lager which he referred to more than once during the show. I also commented that I listened to the entire show on Sirius and I thought it was a wonderful concert.
I've been lazy most all of my life,
Writing songs and sleeping late.
Any manual labor I've done purely by mistake.
ColdWaterConch
If we weren't all crazy ...

Post by ColdWaterConch »

I think the review was not bad from an objective POV. People on this forum, because they can recite JB's SSN and the middle names of all his kids, think that the review show reflect their own views. Which it shouldn't.

Yes, the corona thing was completely wrong...I guess the writer missed all the "Landshark Lager" adver....er, "references", throughout the concert. And of course a "true Parrothead" doesn't think that there should be an opening act and would listen to JB read the legal description on his deed over and over for 6 hours, and pay double to hear him turn it into a song, but c'mon.

To me, it was a quick 2.5 hours. I had not realized the show lasted that long. Perhaps what the reviewer was trying to say was that some of the songs fell flat and added to the length of the concert.

Personally, I hope that for his farewell tour he only plays the songs that really likes to sing...because you can tell when he does so.
"Key West trades in on the name 'Hemingway." You can't take a leak without seeing Hemingway this and Hemingway that. And the irony is, if Hemingway were alive today he'd take a blowtorch to Duvall Street." Hiaasen
caly
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Come Monday
Favorite Boat Drink: skinny pirate
Location: St. Thomas, but not the one in U.S.V.I....Canada!!!

Post by caly »

ColdWaterConch wrote:I think the review was not bad from an objective POV. People on this forum, because they can recite JB's SSN and the middle names of all his kids, think that the review show reflect their own views. Which it shouldn't.

Yes, the corona thing was completely wrong...I guess the writer missed all the "Landshark Lager" adver....er, "references", throughout the concert. And of course a "true Parrothead" doesn't think that there should be an opening act and would listen to JB read the legal description on his deed over and over for 6 hours, and pay double to hear him turn it into a song, but c'mon.

To me, it was a quick 2.5 hours. I had not realized the show lasted that long. Perhaps what the reviewer was trying to say was that some of the songs fell flat and added to the length of the concert.

Personally, I hope that for his farewell tour he only plays the songs that really likes to sing...because you can tell when he does so.
Hope that is not soon!!!!
Migration Michelle
Behind Door #3

Post by Migration Michelle »

East Texas Parrothead wrote:
Well said, ICPh.

My sentiments exactly...I would have gladly suffered through a 2 1/2 hour concert in the 3rd row with a LandShark!!!!!! :)

Maybe they should have a parrothead write the review next time?! 8) 8)
kinjakid
Southeast of disorder

Post by kinjakid »

FunkHouse9 wrote:
LIPH wrote:
I thought this quote was the best part of the story. Cliche? Maybe. But the writer found a quote that pretty much sums up the entire Buffett concert experience for many Phans.

Too bad he didn't do more with it...