Anyone watching "Damages"?

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Tonight I Just Need My Guitar *and* Southern Cross
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by East Texas Parrothead »

moog wrote:FX shoved the ads at me 4 times an hour during "Rescue Me" for the last three weeks. I had to see the commercial twice in a movie theater. So, I was annoyed and won't watch it.
I don't normally watch F/X, so I couldn't be annoyed by the interruptions. I read about the series in THE NEW YORKER ... they hardly ever give space to television, unless you count the barrels of ink they used during "The Sopranos."

You're pretty twisted, Moogster .... you would like this one, I think. :wink: Lots of dark stuff, twists and turns and irony to let.

Sorry the promos put you off. :D
Gentilly ... 42 years is a long time to wait .... a Northeast Texas woman can hope.
My love is an anchor tied to you, tied with a silver chain.
iuparrothead
God's Own Drunk
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by iuparrothead »

Okay... so I rewatched the first episode and then say episode 2 last night. Holy crap! It's so hard to keep things straight... no one is good, yet no one is entirely bad. Everybody's both!

I can say I got the dog collar thing from the first episode of which I'm surprised because I usually don't pick up on things so quickly... I think LOST has me trained to spot the subtle hints and clues in tv shows and movies.

Were you totally worried when Tate Donovan's character approaches that guy at the coffee shop and gives him all of Ellen & her fiance's info!?!? And then all he ended up being was their real estate agent!? Methinks he's probably something more too.

This show is crazy!!! I'm so hooked. :o
Image`How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
`You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
Dezdmona
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went To Paris
Number of Concerts: 33
Favorite Boat Drink: PharmAde

Post by Dezdmona »

I definitely think there is something more menacing to Tate Donovan's character (Tom) than meets the eye.
Some people never find it, some only pretend
But me, I just want to live happily ever after every now and then.
Find me on: Facebook, Twitter, Blog
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

Dezdmona wrote:I definitely think there is something more menacing to Tate Donovan's character (Tom) than meets the eye.
Like babes and nose candy? Who saw THAT coming. :o

Annie: I saw the "hint" about the dog collar. I just never in a million connected it to the right dot. :D

Mr. Mojito read the piece in the NEW YORKER ... he's going to watch last night's rerun with me in about 15 minutes. He was intrigued.

Since we're looking for connections ... Cadillac sponsored the premiere, commercial free. The NEW YORKER piece, very flattering, was right at the back of the magazine, as all the reviews are. Cadillac was the back cover ad. Coincidence? I think not. :wink:
Gentilly ... 42 years is a long time to wait .... a Northeast Texas woman can hope.
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< taking bets on what's in the box delivered to Patty's office. :D
moog
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by moog »

East Texas Parrothead wrote:You're pretty twisted, Moogster .... you would like this one, I think. :wink: Lots of dark stuff, twists and turns and irony to let.

Sorry the promos put you off. :D
:lol: Well, yea the showsounds like something I would get into. Just can't commit to another one right now.

I'm only watching three shows this summer. "Rescue Me", "Big Love" and "John From Cincy". Ed O'Neill is at his best in the latter. Plus some actors from Deadwood are in it.

This fall I'll just stick with South Park and maybe, just maybe Saturday Night Live and The Simpsons. In January, Battlestar. That's about it for scheduled shows. Plus some TV shows I have on DVD. You know good stuff from my younger days. Lucy, Kotter, Odd Couple, Hill St, Make Room For Daddy, Benny Hill, Monty Python, All in The Family, Mary Tyler Moore and more.

Sorry I hijacked the thread. :oops:
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

I tried "John from Cincy," but it didn't hold my attention ...

Watched reruns of "Damages" ... loved the way it's lighted, shot ...

Am also into "Mad Men" ... love it, except for all the smoking ... even my three-pack-a-day mother didn't light up that much. :D
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

The plot thickens. I thought the writing really fell off this week ...

That kid is a whiner .... poor step-dad .... some really good stunt driving, though.

I'm afraid of Frobesher ....

Trust no one ....
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

This series has gone downhill faster than Jean Claude Kiely. (Google him if you were born after 1958.) :D

The whole will-he or won't-he leave plot surrounding Tom was just so much fluff ... no real battle of the wills ... Tom caved to Patty. Contrived and boring.

The missing body, cleaned up apartment and repaired window bit at the crime scene bit? So done. Contrived and boring.

The sympathetic boyfriend caught in the crosshairs. Contrived and boring.

The waiter who sold his stock the day of the big crash, who slept with the caterer in Florida, who fell for the lonely girl at the bar, got drunk and warned not to talk - again. Contrived and boring.

I'll bet Glenn Close wishes she had passed on this one.

And, what's up with Tate Donovan's chiclet teeth? They are just plain scary in closeups.

What a mess. So much promise down the drain.
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

It had such promise. A ruthless female attorney at the top of her game takes on a corrupt New York billionaire who left his clients with nothing. Think Enron does Manhattan.

It had Glenn Close and a brilliant new cast of mostly unknowns who earnestly tried to deliver the goods.

The fresh meat came in the form of a bright-eyed young associate and her Dr. McDreamy boyfriend. Young associate gets put onto the case for reasons that have nothing to do with her legal pedigree. Dr. McDreamy's sister witnessed a key event that could help bring the billionaire down. Was the young associate hired for her skills or her family connection?

It had very effective staging. Haven't seen sets, lighting and camera work like this on the small screen. They were even able to make us forget that Close has had a lot of work done on her previously handsome face ... she never was a beauty, but at least she was interesting. Now, everything's pulled just a little too tight. Check out her mouth and her eyes.

It had, at the beginning, some pretty tight writing.

Then, it all fell apart. The plot blew up by trying way too hard to be cryptic in every, single scene. The dialogue went down the tubes. Seriously.

You don't hear anything from Gregory in 24 hours, we subpoena him.

And in the meantime?

Come to my apartment for dinner. At 8:00. And don't be late.

I told you. I want my life back.

This is your life.

If this is bad news, I don't want to hear it.

They're talking to the kid.

It was just a matter of time. He's been prepped, right?

Yeah. It's that bad.

Since the first episode, Close's law firm has been focused like a laser on the billionaire's clandestine meeting with his stock broker in the middle of the night in Miami just before he dumped all his stock and left his employees high and dry. McDreamy's sister and the waiter-turned-consultant saw the billionaire get into a long limousine in the parking lot just outside the Miami bar where they hooked up for a drug-infused one night stand.

In this week's episode, the waiter-turned-consultant tells the young associate, "It's not about the broker. It's so much more." And we're supposed to follow the writers deeper into this mess? I have whiplash from all the 180s being served up in scene after scene.

Thsi week, the corrupt billionaire decides to write a memoir to shore up his public image and, like magic, he has a publisher and a ghost writer within one day. They have their first meeting the next day. Then, the billionaire gets all jacked up on "some great sipping whiskey" and shows up at the writer's apartment at midnight after their meeting and proceeds to verbally and physically assault the guy. Oh, please.

The billionaire's lawyer is suffering from insomnia. When he does sleep, he dreams about losing teeth and blood flowing from his mouth. We're supposed to care that he has a deep secret ... and it's all tied up in a waiter-turned-broker who may or may not be more than just an important witness. There's a whole forbidden relationship element here and we're supposed to care. (The dark circles under the lawyer's eyes look like those of a long-dead dead clown. The makeup artist must have been under tremendous pressure to turn out work this bad.)

Every time someone walks into young associate and Dr. McDreamy's swanky apartment, there is a sense of forboding. There are long shots of people walking down the hall and I keep expecting someone to jump out from the shadows.

A barfly gets shot right above the heart as she's about to shoot the waiter-turned-consultant-turned-lawyer's boy toy.

The billionaire continues to meet the people who do his dirty work on deserted streets.

Someone is tailing the waiter-turned-consultant.

All the cloak and dagger machinations are exhausting. I'm so over this.

Then, there's this crazy girl after Dr. McDreamy. Her pyschotic self is a real piece of work. She "kills off" her grandfather as a a ploy to get Dr. McDreamy to her apartment to look at some used medical equipment she wants to sell. She lifts his keys. Dum da dum dum. The last scene has her watching the young associate and Dr. McDreamy frolick in the bathtub at their apartment ... Pyschotic Patty's standing in their hall. It's too creepy for words.

The opening song lyrics chant, "When I am through with you, there won't be nothing left."

Too late. The good stuff's already gone.
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

My gawd ... Ted Danson has had more sex than Tony Soprano ... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Anyone still watching?