Cubs, Wrigley and Steve Goodman

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

ejr
On a Salty Piece of Land

Cubs, Wrigley and Steve Goodman

Post by ejr »

From today's Chicago Sun-Times:

Cub anthem a hit again
Goodman's 'Go Cubs Go' strikes emotional chord with fans

October 3, 2007
BY DAVE HOEKSTRA dhoekstra@suntimes.com
Steve Goodman knew the beat of a heartbreak.

He was a Cubs fan.

And now, 23 years after the Chicago folk singer's death, his anthem ''Go Cubs Go'' has become the sound of victory at Wrigley Field. This season, after every Cubs win, ''Go Cubs Go'' has been played as fans exit the ballpark. By July, more than 40,000 fans were singing along to ''Go Cubs Go,'' which Goodman wrote with a frisky Bo Diddley rhythm.

''Go Cubs Go'' has been introduced to a new generation. Even classic rockers like Lou Piniella tear up when hearing fans sing along to the song. Goodman wrote the piece in March 1984. The blue 45-rpm record was a promotional effort from WGN Radio, with proceeds going to the Neediest Kids Fund.

The '84 Cubs went to the National League Championship Series before losing to San Diego. Goodman died of complications from leukemia four days before the Cubs clinched the '84 Eastern Division title. He was 36.

Cubs marketing director Jay Blunk recalled that last season, ''Go Cubs Go'' was played alongside Kool and the Gang's ''Celebration'' a few times, but the Cubs didn't go anywhere last season. He said ''Go Cubs Go'' took off June 29 after Aramis Ramirez's walk-off home run against the Brewers.

''Go Cubs Go'' was recorded in one night on the Near North Side at Chicago Recording Co. Goodman's studio band laid down the initial track, produced by Goodman and Hank Neuberger. The group included keyboardist Pat Leonard, who went on to become Madonna's music director, and electric guitarist John Burns, who also played with John Prine and was the son of Jethro Burns of the 1960s cornball country Homer & Jethro act.

When the Cubs got hot in July 1984, Cubs players Jody Davis, Thad Bosley, Jay Johnstone and Gary Matthews were recruited to overdub another track and the single hit the streets. Davis managed the Class A Daytona (Fla.) Cubs this year.

''We started playing 'Go Cubs Go' as we went on the field this season,'' Davis said. ''They would play it low and we told them to turn it up.''

''It was a gigantic deal for Steve,'' said Burns, who now performs as a solo act in Albuquerque, N.M. ''If you were playing and someone mentioned the Cubs, he would stop the set and talk about the Cubs. When you went to a game with him, he did everything you could do: buy a scorecard and pencil, wear his Cubs hat and jacket. He would go to games with my dad. They'd get as close as they could get and heckle players.''

Goodman assembled the ''Chicago Cubs Chorus,'' a rag-tag collection of a dozen Chicago folk singers, musicians and Cubs fans. Angelo Varias was drummer for Prine and Goodman and part of the chorus.

''Steve said 'This is the most famous thing I'm going to do,''' Varias recalled. ''He passed out Cubs hats for people at the session. He made a crack about having to put WGN in the lyrics, but said, 'Hey, they're paying for it.' It was a big payday for everybody he knew. That's what was so Steve Goodman about it. He got some money from the Cubs and he was going to spread it around. It's funny, now the Cubs are paying [Alfonso] Soriano $136 million. I got paid $200 extra from the Cubs.

''When I hear all these young kids singing the song and chanting, they don't know what a blood-related thing it was for him to do this. I have no idea if there's an afterlife, but to me, this is his way of still being alive. It always makes me feel good.''

Said Blunk, ''You can tell the song was written about somebody who understands. On the last day of the [regular] season, to look at the intensity in which people were singing, it was almost a religious experience. The field was empty. The song had finished and they kept singing. These people were bonded by that song for one moment in time.''
"I finally know what Michael Jordan was talking about when he said he was 'in the zone'"
Jimmy Buffett, 9/4/05, Wrigley Field
chippewa
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by chippewa »

Nice. 8)

Did you see the story in this thread, too?

http://www.buffettnews.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=62558
ejr
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ejr »

chippewa wrote:Nice. 8)

Oh, I hadn't-was out of town last week, and wasn't on BN much, so thanks for the link.

It has been fun watching the crowd adopt that song, and, maybe, discover a little about Steve Goodman as well. I love listening to the crowd singing along with Steve, and being a part of it is just a great feeling when you are out there!!! (as you know from first hand experience!)
"I finally know what Michael Jordan was talking about when he said he was 'in the zone'"
chippewa
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by chippewa »

ejr wrote:

Oh, I hadn't-was out of town last week, and wasn't on BN much, so thanks for the link.

It has been fun watching the crowd adopt that song, and, maybe, discover a little about Steve Goodman as well. I love listening to the crowd singing along with Steve, and being a part of it is just a great feeling when you are out there!!! (as you know from first hand experience!)
Hope to be singing tonight! Actually, here it will be Thursday morning. [smilie=zzz.gif]
ejr
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ejr »

chippewa wrote:
ejr wrote:

Hope to be singing tonight! Actually, here it will be Thursday morning. [smilie=zzz.gif]
Yep. I am fortunate that there is school is closed for another holiday, so I have tomorrow and Friday off :D
spartan1979
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: IPA

Post by spartan1979 »

Goodman was supposed to sing the National Anthem at the opening game of the 1984 National League playoffs, but died first. His good friend Jimmy Buffett took his place.

I read this on Wikipedia, so who knows if it's true.
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

ejr
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ejr »

I can picture the grin Steve would have on his face enjoying every minute of this!!!!!
phjrsaunt
Social Buffettfly
Social Buffettfly
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 21
Favorite Boat Drink: coconut rum and...anything!

Post by phjrsaunt »

Awesome! :D

My love is staying an anchor tied to you with that silver chain.
iuparrothead
God's Own Drunk

Post by iuparrothead »

When the Cubs won the division series over Atlanta in 2003, everyone (including myself) were out in the street at Clark & Addison singing that song and 'Take Me Out to the Ballgame' repeatedly... I didn't know all the words to 'Go Cubs Go' at that time so I felt kind of silly... but when I'm dancing in the streets this year, I'm definitely going to have all the words right! :wink:
Image`How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
`You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
Cubbie Bear
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate/40
Number of Concerts: 31

Post by Cubbie Bear »

I saw Steve in 1975. He was wearing a cowboy hat so big, it looked like that fake foam one Jimmy was wearing at Texas Stadium. He talked about the Cubs a lot that night. Loved Bill Madlock
Last edited by Cubbie Bear on October 5, 2007 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Boat drinks, waitress we........nevermind"

He ain't wrong he's just different
but his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right
Cubbie Bear
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by Cubbie Bear »

btw, notice my start up date. I started talking here because of Cubbie talk with Ann and Wade. Now all three of us are never here AND I still have not met the two responsible for this addiction (recovering)

msu#1
Behind Door #3

Post by msu#1 »

Now that my #1 team is done I can start rooting full time for my # 1A team. Go Cubs Go!!!

again another missed chance for my dream world series. :evil:
Lake Erie Pirate scientist
INeverGoAnywhere
Party at the End of the World

Post by INeverGoAnywhere »

Cubbie Bear wrote:btw, notice my start up date. I started talking here because of Cubbie talk with Ann and Wade. Now all three of us are never here AND I still have not met the two responsible for this addiction (recovering)
Knew there was a woman to blame......
Hello posters and lurkers....... want to get that out of the way.....
Cubbie Bear
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by Cubbie Bear »

INeverGoAnywhere wrote:
Cubbie Bear wrote:btw, notice my start up date. I started talking here because of Cubbie talk with Ann and Wade. Now all three of us are never here AND I still have not met the two responsible for this addiction (recovering)
Knew there was a woman to blame......
right, you were there too :lol: but I have met you 8)

iuparrothead
God's Own Drunk

Post by iuparrothead »

:P Oh... I'm around more than you think... I've just transitioned to a lurker these days. (More because I'm less a JB fan, not less a BN fan)

Life changes awful fast doesn't it? I started on this board 6 or 7 years ago as a young, energetic, single, outgoing chick with a boring desk job that looooved going to Buffett concerts ... but now I'm older, coupled, prefer small club rock shows, and too busy at work to play online! :lol: I still love you folks though... and I still love the Cubs! I've had more time now to learn the nuances of being a true Cubs fan so I'm a bit more guarded and wary about the chances of going to the WS this year, but I'm glad they are in the playoffs and will cheer just as hard for them to win!!!
Image`How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
`You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
ejr
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ejr »

iuparrothead wrote:
:P Oh... I'm around more than you think... I've just transitioned to a lurker these days. (More because I'm less a JB fan, not less a BN fan)

Life changes awful fast doesn't it? I started on this board 6 or 7 years ago as a young, energetic, single, outgoing chick with a boring desk job that looooved going to Buffett concerts ... but now I'm older, coupled, prefer small club rock shows, and too busy at work to play online! :lol: I still love you folks though... and I still love the Cubs! I've had more time now to learn the nuances of being a true Cubs fan so I'm a bit more guarded and wary about the chances of going to the WS this year, but I'm glad they are in the playoffs and will cheer just as hard for them to win!!!
Nice to see you here, Ann-I have missed having you around!
Big Jimmy
User banned 30 days

Post by Big Jimmy »

spartan1979 wrote:Goodman was supposed to sing the National Anthem at the opening game of the 1984 National League playoffs, but died first. His good friend Jimmy Buffett took his place.

I read this on Wikipedia, so who knows if it's true.

And in 05 when he played Wrigley--- He should have done A Dying Cubs Fan Last Request.

Makes me glad I did not waste 150 bucks on a ticket to miss him playing it---Just like Steve did back in 84....

Or to make it even more special-- He could have done Lincoln Park Pirates---Though all people from out of town would have no idea what he is singing about.

I AM AN AMERICAN
USA COMES FIRST
THE REST COME LAST

LEARN IT
LOVE IT
LONG LIVE THE USA OR DIE
BigR-KyParrothead
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Knee Deep w/ZBB
Number of Concerts: 49
Favorite Boat Drink: Fat Tire

Post by BigR-KyParrothead »

today is steve goodman day in illinois. i had no idea he died at 36

http://www.ecwpress.com/news/lt_gov_qui ... y_illinois
Cubbie Bear
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by Cubbie Bear »

ejr wrote:
iuparrothead wrote:

Nice to see you here, Ann-I have missed having you around!
I miss having her :o in my dreams