phjim
BN Webmaster
BN Webmaster
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration
Number of Concerts: 33
Favorite Boat Drink: Frozen Margarita

Jimmy in Key West

Post by phjim »

From Keysnews.com: Singer/songwriter Jimmy Buffett waves to fans Saturday at the Key West Bight en route to Sunset Key. Buffett was in Key West over the weekend producing the music of Ilo Ferreira, a young musician he met in Cape Verde off the western coast of Africa.
Last edited by phjim on January 16, 2008 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
12vmanRick
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Pacing the Cage
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum

Post by 12vmanRick »

wish he'd devote some of that help to some of these indie trop rock artists
mjeischen
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: Just one? . . . Bastards!
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Cold Draft Beer and things with Sailor Jerry

Post by mjeischen »

I know he uses many of them as back-up bands at some events. I wonder why there isn't more activity on this. Now that I am thinking of it . . . Here is yet another revenue stream Jimmy is missing.

He could be signing these acts to Mailboat and making them part of an all-day event . . . Imagine seeing some of these groups on a stage in the parking lots . . . Jimmy could capture some of the tailgating market . . .
The Parrot Dice Lounge kinda like a mirage. Here today and gone tomorrow. You should stop by and say hello when visiting Chicago on tour.
freaky4tiki
Party at the End of the World
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by freaky4tiki »

mjeischen wrote:I know he uses many of them as back-up bands at some events. I wonder why there isn't more activity on this. Now that I am thinking of it . . . Here is yet another revenue stream Jimmy is missing.

He could be signing these acts to Mailboat and making them part of an all-day event . . . Imagine seeing some of these groups on a stage in the parking lots . . . Jimmy could capture some of the tailgating market . . .
oh that would be very cool. like the day before a show. get people in the area, hotels, restaraunts-- all could benefit.
Be Young, Be Foolish, Be happy!
drunkpirate66
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 »

mjeischen wrote:I know he uses many of them as back-up bands at some events. I wonder why there isn't more activity on this. Now that I am thinking of it . . . Here is yet another revenue stream Jimmy is missing.

the ticket prices . . .

the Landshark Beer . . .

All the Jimmy CD's . . .

and the fact that, for years anyways - perhaps not THIS year but for years . . . part or perhaps all of the reason people went to the shows was for the tailgate . . . I am not one of these people but I do know many people who don't necessarily like Jimmy's music but go for the party . . . sad but true; but I think that is why in most venues don't charge for the tailgate.
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .
MargaritaMatt
If we weren't all crazy ...
Number of Concerts: 13
Favorite Boat Drink: Something with Rum

Post by MargaritaMatt »

what a great song!
Phins Up!
Margarita Matt
http://downislandliving.com/
Desdamona
Under My Lone Palm

Post by Desdamona »

MargaritaMatt wrote:what a great song!
Great smile, too!
And that last name sounds familiar...
:wink:
Image Image
TropicalTroubador
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in front of me.

Post by TropicalTroubador »

drunkpirate66 wrote:

the ticket prices . . .

the Landshark Beer . . .

All the Jimmy CD's . . .

and the fact that, for years anyways - perhaps not THIS year but for years . . . part or perhaps all of the reason people went to the shows was for the tailgate . . . I am not one of these people but I do know many people who don't necessarily like Jimmy's music but go for the party . . . sad but true; but I think that is why in most venues don't charge for the tailgate.
The sad thing is that many venues discourage tailgating. But yeah...it would be extremely cool to see Jimmy support the genre he started in this way. (Especially if I got to play! Hehehehe.....) :pirate:
Living my life on Island Standard Time...
Island Standard Time - the new Trop Rock album from Loren Davidson - now available!

http://www.lorendavidson.com
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

Desdamona wrote:
MargaritaMatt wrote:what a great song!
Great smile, too!
And that last name sounds familiar...
:wink:
I wonder if we're related? [smilie=noeyedear-shrugging.gif]
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
mjeischen
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: Just one? . . . Bastards!
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Cold Draft Beer and things with Sailor Jerry

Post by mjeischen »

He doesn't even need to charge tickets but he can draw the tailgaters to this stage featuring Mailboat artists and lookey there right next to the stage is a tent featuring more T-shirts and CD's of these Mailboat artists.

Hell even just signing these artists and having them tour area with Jimmy . . . like Mac does his friday night shows before Alpine and Tinley . . . These artists can spring up around the area . . . .

By signing these artists to his reocrd label and then promoting them to varying degrees immediately creates a new revenue stream.

It doesn't need to be an all-day festival by any means . . . .
The Parrot Dice Lounge kinda like a mirage. Here today and gone tomorrow. You should stop by and say hello when visiting Chicago on tour.
Bwana Paul
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 200

Mailboat

Post by Bwana Paul »

The reason he will not sign independent artists to Mailboat is it would not work. The label is not like Margaritaville Records, which was seeking out new artists.

Mailboat is for established artists that do not need radio airplay, promotions, etc. They do not really work like a traditional record label in trying to publicize or promote an artist.

James Taylor is someone who would do well on Mailboat. Independents would have a hard time with that label.
Big Phan
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine

Post by Big Phan »

One quick glance at the picture and I thought the other guy partially in the pic was z-man! :o :D
JustDucky
I Love the Now!

Post by JustDucky »

The other factor, aside from Mail Boat's position, is are the worthy? If they were, it wouldn't take JB to be the only one to think about signing them. Maybe they are just 9 to 5ers having fun, who knows, I don't. But they aren't signed, don't know if they'll ever be signed, and besides, being signed these days doesn't mean a whole lot anyway.

And by all means don't assume that Mail Boat would have a plethora of CDs of their signed acts available when they can't release things on time as it is or things they say they are going to release.
Bwana Paul
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 200

Yep

Post by Bwana Paul »

being signed these days doesn't mean a whole lot anyway.
True.
SusanNJ
Southeast of disorder

Post by SusanNJ »

Wish he would be there when I head to Key West in March!!
Water's so green and the air was so clean...
Big-Al
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by Big-Al »

I missed him by 2 days. I Left Thursday... Oh well!
Big Al