Marathon Key

This is a travelogue area for places to visit, stay, eat, etc...

Moderator: SMLCHNG

hemispheredancer05
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Breathe In Breathe Out Move On
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: depends on my mood!!!

Marathon Key

Post by hemispheredancer05 »

Ok, I have asked for hotel recs for Islamorada. Can anyone recommend lodging in Marathon? Thanks!!
Longboardn' ASEL&S
I Love the Now!
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Longboardn' ASEL&S »

I saw this posted yesterday evening, and was watching to see if my mind could be changed. It's been over 16 hours with no response, so maybe my personal perception is still valid.
Here goes:

We have visited the FL Keys at least once a year, usually twice, for the past ten years straight. We always drive from Michigan, so always pass through MM50.
Ten years ago we stayed in Marathon, Key Colony beach to be exact. Also stayed near Sombrero beach.
Prior to that, I had always stayed in Key West when in southern FL.
Although we have passed through and stopped in Marathon for food, drinks, and supplies each trip ever since, we have never again stayed there, despite stays in Sunshine Key, Bahia Honda, Stock Island, Key West, Islamorada, Key Largo, and Florida City.
We were just there over this past X-mas, and as usual stopped in Marathon to eat, and stock up at K-Mart and Publix. Visited the Marinas at the base of the 7 mile bridge and a little further North to check out the fishing and diving scenes, but never stayed the day or night.
We never have a schedule or reservations, and are ready to camp or stay in a luxury resort and anything in between, but never see the attraction to staying in Marathon.
I would like to LIVE in Marathon, with all the normal stuff it has to offer, hangar an airplane there, keep a boat maintained easily, etc., but for a "get away" vacation? No thanks.
We will drive down again next month for the school breaks Diane and our youngest son have, which this year for the first time fall on two different weeks.
Not wanting to see either of them disappointed, I decided that the only reasonable thing to do was for me to take off BOTH weeks, drive down with Sam, have Diane fly down at the end of the next week, send Sam home alone by plane (a 17 year old has to try out the "risky business "thing SOMETIME), and drive home with Diane after the end of the second week.
I'm sure we will pass through Marathon more than twice during this trip, and if we decide to stay I will keep an open mind, but really, what for??
If the house is still standing when we return, I'll be pleased.
ImageImage Old Man in Tank Top, Boardn' the Blacktop, Still chilln' after all of these years
Snowparrot
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 14
Favorite Boat Drink: **Free**

Post by Snowparrot »

Hey Al,
I just wanted to say we haven't bumped into each other here very much. I'm looking forward to your minute-by-minute report on the family vacation again this year!
I've used up my winter holiday, so I'll just go along vicariously.... pack me in the suitcases, please!

PS my pilot daughter is out doing spins and stalls this morning.... :roll:
Missing B'dos
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: When the Coast is Clear...
Number of Concerts: 3
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra Old, coke, sweet lime, slight ice

Post by Missing B'dos »

We stayed at a little place with a marina called Banana Bay on Marathon Key, kind of hidden across from the Home Depot. (This was JUST after a hurricane, so not all places were open.) Room overlooking the pool was very nice. Don't know about the other rooms. They also owned some condos next door. We didn't eat there, they directed us to a restaurant on another marina that didn't even look like the hurricane had been there, it was looking right at the sunset and was excellent, with live music, too, as I recall. We were stopping sort of halfway down, so it worked pretty well.
"Oh, oh, all I want to know, is are you kind?"
C-Dawg
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: The list is long...
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: my next one....this one's empty

Post by C-Dawg »

What are you looking for? Resort, B& B? I stayed at the Holiday Inn, as I was diving with Abyss Dive Center, which is located right behind the Holiday Inn. Rooms were nice, but then again, we only used them for sleeping or showering after we were done diving. If you're diving, Abyss is the best!!! Also, go to CABOTS for dinner and the sunset.....awesome!
ImageImage

Missing B'dos
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: When the Coast is Clear...
Number of Concerts: 3
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra Old, coke, sweet lime, slight ice

Post by Missing B'dos »

Good catch! Yes, the restaurant they sent us to is Cabot's also. Totally agree - also bought a fish for the wall, you will see what that means if the local artisan is still selling them there...
"Oh, oh, all I want to know, is are you kind?"
freaky4tiki
Party at the End of the World

Post by freaky4tiki »

Snowparrot wrote:Hey Al,

PS my pilot daughter is out doing spins and stalls this morning.... :roll:
lucky girl!

wish i could!
Be Young, Be Foolish, Be happy!
Longboardn' ASEL&S
I Love the Now!

My son's sure happy he got his private in a C-152 last Sept.
His program at WMU is in Cirrus SR20 and SR22.
All they do is approach the stall in those, and they were never certified to spin. They got rid of their Extra 300's too! No upset training anymore. Everything is on auto pilot or flight director. It's like flying the sim more than it is like traditional stick and rudder flying.
Is your daughter working on her CFI right now?

I'll have to try those places in Marathon in a few weeks. Maybe we should give it another chance.
I hope somone else recommends some places.
ImageImage Old Man in Tank Top, Boardn' the Blacktop, Still chilln' after all of these years
C-Dawg
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by C-Dawg »

I agree with Longboardn' ASEL&S...I could see myself living in Marathon.....if I had the money. Was talking to the Divemaster on the diveboat we went out on, and he took us to his place ( across the street from CABOTS) after we had dinner and drinks. We sat in his yard, around a firepit he had and had a few more Coronas. Nice place...2 bedroom bungalow on maybe 1/3 to 1/2 acre, and he told me he bought it for $350K a couple years ago, but he could sell it tomorrow for over $500K.
Too rich for my blood....I can see myself living on the west coast of FLA, taking regular weekend trips to the Keys in about another 10 years....can't wait :D
ImageImage

Snowparrot
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 14
Favorite Boat Drink: **Free**

Post by Snowparrot »

Let's hijack this thread!
My son's sure happy he got his private in a C-152 last Sept.
His program at WMU is in Cirrus SR20 and SR22.
All they do is approach the stall in those, and they were never certified to spin. They got rid of their Extra 300's too! No upset training anymore. Everything is on auto pilot or flight director. It's like flying the sim more than it is like traditional stick and rudder flying.
Is your daughter working on her CFI right now?
I haven't had a report, but she said she'd be taking the smaller Cessna for the spins, and she believes they are mandatory for a commercial licence here. She's doing commercial ground school at the Flying Club, and building up those hours. Pretty soon now she should be doing the big tests, written and flight, and then she can go to Winnipeg to get the Multi-engine training and a job. (I don't know what a CFI is :oops: )
And she's getting married in September. :roll:

and, to get back on topic, I could imagine a few days at Marathon Key, if the diving is nice!
Longboardn' ASEL&S
I Love the Now!

C-Dawg wrote:Nice place...2 bedroom bungalow on maybe 1/3 to 1/2 acre, and he told me he bought it for $350K a couple years ago, but he could sell it tomorrow for over $500K.
Was that a year or two ago? If so, it's probably back down to $325K.
The local fishing captains I talked to around X-mas in Islamorada said that they lost over 1/3 of their apraised home value in the past two years.
Threw a wrench into their retirement plans based on selling the house and moving to Tennessee.
Grass must always be greener I guess.
Longboardn' ASEL&S
I Love the Now!

Snowparrot wrote:Let's hijack this thread!
(I don't know what a CFI is :oops: )
And she's getting married in September. :roll:
Certified Flight Instructor. The only rating the FAA requires spin demonstration for these days.
Is the Keet marrying a pilot?

Marathon content:
The party boat for fishing there is 1/2 day only. Mybe that's another reason we don't hang out there that much. Full day is needed to be succesful fishing even in the Keys.
C-Dawg
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by C-Dawg »

Longboardn' ASEL&S wrote:Was that a year or two ago? If so, it's probably back down to $325K.
The local fishing captains I talked to around X-mas in Islamorada said that they lost over 1/3 of their apraised home value in the past two years.
Threw a wrench into their retirement plans based on selling the house and moving to Tennessee.
Grass must always be greener I guess.
Yeah, that was in Feb '06 on my last trip to the Keys.
ImageImage

Longboardn' ASEL&S
I Love the Now!

C-Dawg wrote: Yeah, that was in Feb '06 on my last trip to the Keys.
There are brand new condo complexes in the Keys and all of FL that are entirely empty although completed. The developers have stopped even trying to sell them.
Holiday Isle in Islamorada was purchased by developers and scheduled for demolition last April in order to break ground for luxury condos.
They built an office there, partitioned off a private beach area for prospective purchasers to hang out at, and built beautiful miniature models of the units.
$1 million / month is their mortgage payment, and no units were pre-sold. They abandoned their plans, and the old resort is still running-at quite a loss.
There are bargains galore in FL (as well as in Michigan), if you can afford them.
sonofabeach
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

I stayed just a few feet from the sea on Marathon for about 25 bucks a night a few years back.
Of course, it was in my tent at Knights Key campground :lol:
Porky's Bar -b-cue rocks and Rocketman's music was cool.
Aaaah good times. Hope to make it back soon.
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"
Longboardn' ASEL&S
I Love the Now!

sonofabeach wrote:I stayed just a few feet from the sea on Marathon for about 25 bucks a night a few years back.
I've seen the sign but never checked it out. Is it on the ocean side just before the 7 mile bridge?
$25 beats the $100 they want at Sunshine Key to set up a tent!
sonofabeach
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

Longboardn' ASEL&S wrote:
sonofabeach wrote:I stayed just a few feet from the sea on Marathon for about 25 bucks a night a few years back.
I've seen the sign but never checked it out. Is it on the ocean side just before the 7 mile bridge?
$25 beats the $100 they want at Sunshine Key to set up a tent!
Yeah oceanside but now I think it's $32. They have washer/dryer and showers too.
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"
Longboardn' ASEL&S
I Love the Now!

Just might try it.
We're driving down two weeks from today.
Left all our stuff in storage in Orlando New Years Eve Day, can't wait to re-connect with all the surfing,fishing,and camping gear after all this sub freezing weather this month.
School vacations RULE!!!!!!!!!
chalksoperations
Gypsies in the palace

Post by chalksoperations »

A place I've been going to eat quite a bit lately when I'm in town is down 35th St (if see the FHP building on your right, you just missed it). It's the Keys Fisheries Restaurant right at the end of the street. They have one damn good Lobster Reuben as well. If you are up north a bit, Craigs in Tavernier is the place to go for the best grouper sandwich around. It is on the southbound side of the road with a blue awning at MM91. If you just passed Coral Shores High School and the road narrows to 2 lanes, you just missed it.
Longboardn' ASEL&S
I Love the Now!

chalksoperations wrote:A place I've been going to eat quite a bit lately when I'm in town is down 35th St (if see the FHP building on your right, you just missed it). It's the Keys Fisheries Restaurant right at the end of the street. They have one damn good Lobster Reuben as well. If you are up north a bit, Craigs in Tavernier is the place to go for the best grouper sandwich around. It is on the southbound side of the road with a blue awning at MM91. If you just passed Coral Shores High School and the road narrows to 2 lanes, you just missed it.
Thanks,
I'll make sure I check them both out!