Asheville Cheesburger in Paradise Closes

Buffett News and Comments

Moderator: SMLCHNG

JackPDiddley
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum? Did someone say rum?

Asheville Cheesburger in Paradise Closes

Post by JackPDiddley »

From the Asheville Citizen-Times: "Cheeseburger in Paradise closes"

<em>Cheeseburger in Paradise, the casual restaurant that opened two years ago with a performance by singer Jimmy Buffett, has closed.

"The closure is a prudent business decision for us at this time, but we would like to serve our loyal Asheville customers again at some point in the future," Matt Wissman, joint venture partner of Cheeseburger in Paradise in the North Carolina area, said in a press release.

The restaurant, just off Tunnel Road in east Asheville, opened in January 2005, with a benefit performance by Buffett, who wrote and sang the hit song the restaurant was named for. That event raised $96,000 for Eblen Charities.</em>
phjrsaunt
Social Buffettfly
Social Buffettfly
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 21
Favorite Boat Drink: coconut rum and...anything!

Post by phjrsaunt »

Yup..the beginning of the end, I'm afraid. :(

My love is staying an anchor tied to you with that silver chain.
bravedave
At the Bama Breeze

Post by bravedave »

phjrsaunt wrote:Yup..the beginning of the end, I'm afraid. :(
Auntie,
Are you thinking the Fred'burg place is circling the drain?
The one in Pasadena MD (between Baltimore and Annapolis) seems to be doing OK.
“Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.”
- Kaiser Welhelm

"The call is a loud wulli-wulli, and there is much twittering at the drinking holes."
phjrsaunt
Social Buffettfly
Social Buffettfly

Post by phjrsaunt »

bravedave wrote:
Auntie,
Are you thinking the Fred'burg place is circling the drain?
The one in Pasadena MD (between Baltimore and Annapolis) seems to be doing OK.
Last time I was there, it was definitely not up to par service wise. But I was actually referring to the talk I've heard here on the boards about the chain not expanding as quickly as they had planned to (just ask Captain P :wink: )..."looking at it from a business perspective" I guess. Aaargh. :wench:

freaky4tiki
Party at the End of the World
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by freaky4tiki »

the one here stays fairly busy until about 10 pm even if there is a band. the couple of times they had a JB cover band, they did well. I've seen un-Buffett music there more. business was not so good on those nights....
Be Young, Be Foolish, Be happy!
f2cdlzrd
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: Cowboy in the Jungle
Number of Concerts: 27

Post by f2cdlzrd »

:( The local news called and asked my opinion of the closing. Unfortunately I was unable to reach anyone. Our Parrothead Club (Western North Carolina) met at CIP last year from March-December when they suddenly removed live music. My step-son had worked there since August 2005 and was informed of the closing by cell phone on Sunday. I hope it is not the beginning of the end but who knows. I will always remember seeing Jimmy at the opening in January 2005. Great times.

Sail on CIP Asheville and (((()))) to the displaced employees. :(
ATLANTA - April 30, 2013
parottthead
Gypsies in the palace

Post by parottthead »

My family and I ate there a few weeks ago. We go 3-4 times a year for dinner after we visit Biltmore. We have always enjoyed it. I think the location is not the best though, which probably affected the traffic it received.

pH
Be respectful to your superiors, if you have any.--MT
polliwog
Southeast of disorder

Post by polliwog »

Perhaps that's why he doesnt play many shows out in North Carolina, eh? Probabaly just a bunch of hip-hop crowds and too few who can appreciate the music . . . .
VOLcano
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by VOLcano »

Hip-Hop crowds in Western NC? I don't think so...
Kasey
I need two more boat drinks
Number of Concerts: 4

Post by Kasey »

The CIP in Omaha was so great when it opened. Great food, fantastic atmosphere, live music (even if a solo performer), snappy service, cheerful servers. We always go at least once a month.

However, the last few months we see employees standing around talking while we sit with no drinks, our food order comes out wrong or takes a really long time. No music on weekend afternoons a lot of times.

I have pondered writing them a letter, but I'm not sure what I would say.
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

polliwog wrote:Perhaps that's why he doesnt play many shows out in North Carolina, eh? Probabaly just a bunch of hip-hop crowds and too few who can appreciate the music . . . .
brilliant observation.... :roll:
J.LeP
If we weren't all crazy ...

Post by J.LeP »

A total of 5 CiPs were shut down without notice on Sunday. The York, PA location was one of them.
John
I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now!
VISIT: The Hanover Area Parrot Head Society - THAPHS.NET
VISIT: The Hanover Chili Cook Off - HANOVERCHILICOOKOFF.COM
phjrsaunt
Social Buffettfly
Social Buffettfly

Post by phjrsaunt »

J.LeP wrote:A total of 5 CiPs were shut down without notice on Sunday. The York, PA location was one of them.
John
No kidding! What were the other three, I wonder?

12vmanRick
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Pacing the Cage
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum

Post by 12vmanRick »

thanks to the schitty new management that caused Hockeyparrothead to leave also!

good bye CIP and good riddance since you are too stupid to listen to your customer base
When they run you out of town make it look like you are leading the parade.
JACKATOA

YOU COULDN'T FIND THE RESTAURANT!

Post by JACKATOA »

I tried twice to find it and never could. Their location selection has sucked for the past few restaurants they put up
JACKATOA

Post by JACKATOA »

Kasey wrote:The CIP in Omaha was so great when it opened.

However, the last few months we see employees standing around talking while we sit with no drinks, our food order comes out wrong or takes a really long time. No music on weekend afternoons a lot of times.
Service has dropped off in the industry period. I don't know if it's the younger kids or what, but that is a pandemic throughout the industry, as a road warrior, I eat on the road Mon-Thurs, and it's terrible. Manager force people out early, and they're all focused on their sidework, which last I knew didn't tip!
sunseeker
Woman going crazy on Caroline street
Favorite Buffett Song: That's what living is to me
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Mostly water these days

Post by sunseeker »

polliwog wrote:Perhaps that's why he doesnt play many shows out in North Carolina, eh? Probabaly just a bunch of hip-hop crowds and too few who can appreciate the music . . . .
Huh?

Actually up until last year, Jimmy played a minimum of two show in the NC alone...three if he played SC....in prior years he has played as many as 3 shows in NC (Greensboro, Raleigh, Charlotte)

Trust me...North Carolinians are FAR from a hip hop crowd...and many appreciate Buffett's music here....
There's this one particular harbor.....
miparrot4
Southeast of disorder

Post by miparrot4 »

My mom said the CiP in Lansing MI closed recently. I remember that the company that owns the Outback wanted to get rid of this chain but no buyers I guess? I love eating there, just sort of expensive. I will miss the sweet potato chips. I am drooling right now just thinking about them. Maybe JB should buy it back? Or maybe that was why he sold his portion a few years back? Maybe he saw the beginning of the end too?
I've been lazy most all of my life,
Writing songs and sleeping late.
Any manual labor I've done purely by mistake.
popcornjack
Changing Channels
Favorite Buffett Song: Biloxi
Number of Concerts: 75
Favorite Boat Drink: Dos Equis

Post by popcornjack »

Two problems with CIP, one particular to them and one more generally associated with the business in general.

1) The company that owns CIP also owns Outback as well as, I believe, a couple of other concepts. they have been having problems for a long time, dating back till just about when they bought CIP, and they have been trying to spin off some of it's lines to outside buyers with no success. This, unfortunately, is going to become more prevalent in the industry over the next 12-18 months I believe as the recession tightens disposable income and companies realize they were over ambitious in their expansions. Watch any commercial for Applebee's, Friday's, Ruby Tuesday's or any other national casual chain, and you will see them all offering three course meals for ridiculous prices ($10-12) They're not making money on that, certainly not the percentage the company expects to make per customer, but they are doing whatever they can to keep people coming through the doors and hoping that they spend more.

2) It is down right impossible to find the level of professionalism to fully staff a restaurant. Trust me, I've been spending the last three months trying to do just that. I have been lucky and have hired two servers and a bartender who are all career restaurant people, and the difference is noticeable. I'm lucky enough that the location I run is small enough that I only need one or two servers on a shift, so that there is always a strong server on, but I also got people who can't even bother getting to work on time, bartenders who after 4 months still don't know our specialty drinks, etc. It's a different world from when i started in the business. Now it's all part-timers who think and act as if taking their job seriously is beneath them.
Take me for what I am, a star newly emerging.
I accept the new found man, and I set the twilight reeling.
chippewa
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by chippewa »

miparrot4 wrote:My mom said the CiP in Lansing MI closed recently. I remember that the company that owns the Outback wanted to get rid of this chain but no buyers I guess? I love eating there, just sort of expensive. I will miss the sweet potato chips. I am drooling right now just thinking about them. Maybe JB should buy it back? Or maybe that was why he sold his portion a few years back? Maybe he saw the beginning of the end too?
Yep.

"...it no longer fits the strategic plans for the Cheeseburger in Paradise brand"