HEALTHY LIVING

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Salukulady
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 7

HEALTHY LIVING

Post by Salukulady »

Good morning, kids. Here's to another great day! Today will be a challenge for me. My uke group is performing for a senior center today, and they will probably thank us with a huge cake or cookies. Also, I won't have time to go to the gym b4 the performance....I'm gonna try and make room for a power walk later. Good luck, everyone. Stay strong and have a beautiful day!
csmithnj
I have found me a home

Post by csmithnj »

I was doing well yesterday until I struggled with writers block. I thought some Oreos and Coffee would help me get unblocked. Then, working late in the office I found a plate of left over cookies. Oh well. No dwelling in the past.

Today I ran another 6 miles before coming into work. It's nice since it's getting a little warmer in NJ and the sun is coming up earlier.

Let's see if I can stay away from the cookies today. :lol:
carolinagirl
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Coast of Carolina
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: mohito

Post by carolinagirl »

Thanks for the new name, Ukulady! [smilie=coolup.gif]

I forgot, I DID walk yesterday, and again today, just a 30-minute dog walk around the park.

My pup dog is a great motivator. I get up in the a.m., get the son to school, read paper, eat cereal, drink coffee... Dog is quiet through all of this.

Then, I go use the bathroom, and he's at the door when I open it with his head cocked sideways, like, "It's time for WALK!" I can't get past those hopeful brown eyes. Then he starts doing his stretches, the head down, butt up thing puppies do, and groaning, and no matter what I was planning to do ~ like turn on the computer, take shower ~ it's walk in the park time!

Missed my chance to walk two miles on the track with hubby when he got up at 5:30 a.m. Gotta get to bed earlier.

I plan to do an hour Sculpt & Tone video with Gilad.

That 6 mile run each morning is impressive, Chris!
carolinagirl
At the Bama Breeze

Post by carolinagirl »

Great tips from Paige!
pbans wrote:This is some information from a support group meeting tonight.....seems to fit right in to the topic at hand:

Mindful Eating

Strategy #1: Think 20 percent more or less
• Dish out 20% less than you think you might need, you probably won’t miss it
• Eat until you are 80% full
• For fruits and vegetables think 20% more.

Strategy #2: See all that you eat
• Pre-plate your food; don’t eat directly out of a package. Put your snack in a dish and leave the kitchen.
• See it while you are eating it. Keep reminders of your food. Glasses, wine bottles, bones, ect. Will remind you how much you have eaten.

Strategy #3 Be your own tablescaper
• Mini-size bowls and boxes, repackage jumbo size food into smaller containers
• Become an illusionist-make smaller portions look bigger by serving them on smaller plates.
• Beware of the double danger of leftovers. If you have them it means you made too much of the original meal and the more leftovers you bring out of the frig, the more you will eat.

Strategy #4 Make Overeating a Hassle, Not a Habit
• Leave serving dishes in the kitchen so you have to get up to get seconds. It gives you time to ask yourself, ‘Am I Hungry?’
• De-conveinience tempting foods. Put them in a high cupboard that you have to stand on a chair to reach. Reseal them, wrap them, and put them back in the frig or freezer.
• Snack only at the table and on a clean plate. This makes it less convenience to serve and clean up.

Strategy #5 Create Distraction Free Eating Scripts
• Rescript our diet danger zones-trying different things/different habits
o Dinners
o Snacks
o Parties
o Resturants
o Desk/Dashboards
• Distract yourself before you snack—eat in one room only
• Serve yourself before you start

Strategy #6 Create Expectations that make you a better cook.
o We taste what we expect to taste
o Tell them what is for dinner any two words “home-style pasta”, “Cajun chicken”
o Fix the atmosphere when you fix the food—soft lights, soft music, nice table cloth

Strategy #7 Make Comfort Foods More Comforting
o Don’t deprive yourself—one reasons traditional diets fail is that they deprive us of the food and lifestyle we enjoy. Eat comfort food in small amounts.
o Rewire your comfort foods—if they consist mostly of the four c’s-cake, cookie, candies, chips, substitute for other more healthy versions

Strategy #8: Crown yourself the official gatekeeper
o Be a good marketer-food should be neither a punishment nor a reward.
o Offer variety-try new things
o Use the half plate rule—half of the meal needs to be veggies
o Make serving sizes official.-package servings individually and put them away. Don’t leave them out on the counter where others will see them and snack.

Strategy #9 Portion Size me
o Think small and super-share—toss out what isn’t good and what you won’t eat.
Salukulady
Behind Door #3

Post by Salukulady »

Just got a suggestion from a very wise penguin. Thought we should keep the thread going indefinately, not start a new one each day. Didn't know if that was okay, originally was thinking of something like MSC, but it would be easier to find everyday, and we would be more likely to post if we got messages from it instead of having to go look for it each day. Is it okay to have a run on thread? Also, I started this under "off topic" should it be there or in "social". I'm still a newbie, kids. What do you all think?
SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Post by SMLCHNG »

Keeping one running is fine. :) No need to start a new one each day.

And next time, just ask a Mod to change the title of the old one, it's not a problem. :D
balcony girls
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by balcony girls »

. .nope. . I think you are all just fine . . .! ! . .right place, right format, etc. . . and ongoing is ok, too . .

. . and mucho good luck to all of you that are teaming up on this . .! !

:wink: :D
. . " and I finally disappear . . . . BUT NOT YET ! ! "
Virgin-Island-Girl
I have found me a home

Post by Virgin-Island-Girl »

Good luck to everybody who is trying to get healthy.

That's the key - getting healthy. How you feel physically is the most important thing since we all have different weights that are our ideal.

I struggled with being overweight as a kid and young adult. I grew up with Depression era grandparents who literally forced me to eat massive portions of food.

Those habits were hard to break. Since having children, I've actually managed to keep my weight down by eating balanced and taking moderate exercise, mostly walking my dogs and in the summer, I ride my bike, goof around with the kids, swim, etc., etc.

A few pounds crept up over the winter (I can't resist holiday food). I've be careful to be balanced again and now am only two pounds away from my goal of 135. That's a good weight for me, not too heavy, not too thin.

Hopefully for everybody, with spring now in the air, it's easier to get motivated and keep moving!
Integrity is about what you do when nobody is looking. Love All, Trust a Few.
Ladies, get your annual Pap test. What you need to know about Cervical Cancer and HPV:
http://www.cdc.gov/std/HPV/STDFact-HPV.htm#Whatis
carolinagirl
At the Bama Breeze

Post by carolinagirl »

Woo HOOO! I just had to come back and post this.... I just dropped FIVE pounds since yesterday... I've got one of those digital scales that tells you how much hydrated you are and your body fat index as well....

I couldn't believe it. It also erases your previous weight depending on how much you save, and this is the lowest weight saved. That means the least I've weighed since the end of January.

I guess I just got caught up from the six miles I walked on Saturday. We ate a LOT of food with family beginning at IHOP after the walk, then ribs at brother's, then Queen Anne's Revenge seafood restaurant on Sunday, so I stayed the same weight.

I'm thinking muscles I built early in the week started burning fat. Or I could give the credit to this thread. I DID eat just a salad for dinner last night (after splurging on pastries and cake at a get together yesterday aft.)

I just went and put on jeans I haven't worn since maybe November. AWESOME!!!
Salukulady
Behind Door #3

Post by Salukulady »

carolinagirl wrote:Woo HOOO! I just had to come back and post this.... I just dropped FIVE pounds since yesterday... I've got one of those digital scales that tells you how much hydrated you are and your body fat index as well....

I couldn't believe it. It also erases your previous weight depending on how much you save, and this is the lowest weight saved. That means the least I've weighed since the end of January.

I guess I just got caught up from the six miles I walked on Saturday. We ate a LOT of food with family beginning at IHOP after the walk, then ribs at brother's, then Queen Anne's Revenge seafood restaurant on Sunday, so I stayed the same weight.

I'm thinking muscles I built early in the week started burning fat. Or I could give the credit to this thread. I DID eat just a salad for dinner last night (after splurging on pastries and cake at a get together yesterday aft.)

I just went and put on jeans I haven't worn since maybe November. AWESOME!!!
FANTASTIC!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!
SMLCHNG

Post by SMLCHNG »

For Sally.. from the original post. :)
Ukulady wrote:A forum for those of us that want to lose weight and live an active and healthy lifestyle. A place to report in daily, weekly or hourly, whatever you need to stay on track. A place for encouagement without critisism, and friendly help without judgement. Sort of a MSC for those of us that want to get fit and feel better. Anyone can start the thread each day. Since I'm on the west coast, I will probably be posting later than a lot of you. Please remember to call it FAT CLUB and list the date in the title every morning. Thank you.

I will be reporting in daily, my diet (everything I eat) and my daily exercise.
Weekly, I will be reporting in my weight.
Monthly, I will be reporting in my measurements.

My name is Sally. I am married to Mike and we have 4 kids, 3 still at home. I am lucky enough to stay at home and do odd jobs here and there so I can buy Jimmy tickets and more ukuleles. I play ukulele for fun....7 days a week. I belong to a few ukulele groups. I have LOTS of enthusiasm for whatever I happen to be passionate about. My friends that know me best would say I'm the funniest person I know.

I joined Curves one year ago. I have lost 25 pounds. I want to lose 33 more. I currently weigh 183 pounds and am 5 foot 6 inches and I'm 47 years old. I will report my measurements next time they measure me at the gym.

Okay kids, I bared my soul.....who's gonna join me?
Salukulady
Behind Door #3

Post by Salukulady »

Thank you, Penny, you're the best!
SMLCHNG

Post by SMLCHNG »

You're welcome, Sally! :)
carolinagirl
At the Bama Breeze

Post by carolinagirl »

Hey Sallly, how did it go with the treats at the senior center? Did you get your power walk in?

I ate some of my son's M&Ms and cheetos. :( Had two slices of pizza for dinner, followed by a bowl of cereal -- Curves new cereal with only 9 g of sugar. Hoping I didn't add more than a pound back.... Maybe if I get to bed now, I can get up and get to the gym with hubby at 5:30?

G-nite!
Salukulady
Behind Door #3

Post by Salukulady »

Actually, considering my day, I did okay. This morning had a performance at a senior center complete with cookies, and this evening went to a uke jam complete with cookies and cake. Was good at both gigs, passed on the cookies, cake and just drank a diet 7up tonight. Didn't work out or walk but I'll be back at the gym in the AM. Hope everyone is still positive. It sounds like you're all doing great.

Today's food intake for Thursday, 4/10
B-fast-1 egg scrambled w/tomatoes, spinach, feta & 1/2 english muffin & coffee.
Lunch-2 vegie, chicken & cheese soft tacos & water.
Snacks-bowl of steamed string beans, 2 handfuls nuts, diet 7up.
Dinner-green salad w/oil & vinegar, baked sweet potato, 3oz grilled tri-tip & water.
Bed-hot tea & 2 squares dark chocolate.
bocanuts
I gotta go where it's warm
Number of Concerts: 1

Post by bocanuts »

I did well yesterday too. Didn't lose much weight but I know it comes and goes over the weeks so no worries.
The poster formerly known as olemissbrad, houstonhal, and an assortment of troll names.
Capt.Flock

Post by Capt.Flock »

Ukulady wrote:Actually, considering my day, I did okay. This morning had a performance at a senior center complete with cookies, and this evening went to a uke jam complete with cookies and cake. Was good at both gigs, passed on the cookies, cake and just drank a diet 7up tonight. Didn't work out or walk but I'll be back at the gym in the AM. Hope everyone is still positive. It sounds like you're all doing great.

Today's food intake for Thursday, 4/10
B-fast-1 egg scrambled w/tomatoes, spinach, feta & 1/2 english muffin & coffee.
Lunch-2 vegie, chicken & cheese soft tacos & water.
Snacks-bowl of steamed string beans, 2 handfuls nuts, diet 7up.
Dinner-green salad w/oil & vinegar, baked sweet potato, 3oz grilled tri-tip & water.
Bed-hot tea & 2 squares dark chocolate.

IS A GREAT THING
ImageImage Image
pbans
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 9

Post by pbans »

I'm down a total of 21 this morning.....wearing jeans I haven't worn in a long time!

Been 100% faithful to my food plan so far......it's supposed to be 75 degrees this weekend and I know I'm sure gonna miss having a cold beer.... :cry:
Paige in Utah
"Don't try to shake it, just nod your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on"
carolinagirl
At the Bama Breeze

Post by carolinagirl »

pbans wrote:I'm down a total of 21 this morning.....wearing jeans I haven't worn in a long time!

Been 100% faithful to my food plan so far......it's supposed to be 75 degrees this weekend and I know I'm sure gonna miss having a cold beer.... :cry:
Woo Hoo That's Phantastic!!!

Good job being faithful...

I added two pounds back on, for a net loss of 3, but like bocanuts says, it comes and goes... jogged 1/8 of my 1/2 mile walk today. Gonna work out at gym tomorrow a.m.!
Capt.Flock

Post by Capt.Flock »

pbans wrote:I'm down a total of 21 this morning.....wearing jeans I haven't worn in a long time!

CONGRATS
ImageImage Image