German schoolboy, 13, corrects NASA's asteroid figures: pap

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Capt.Flock
Number of Concerts: 0

German schoolboy, 13, corrects NASA's asteroid figures: pap

Post by Capt.Flock »

A 13-year-old German schoolboy corrected NASA's estimates on the chances of an asteroid colliding with Earth, a German newspaper reported Tuesday, after spotting the boffins had miscalculated.

Nico Marquardt used telescopic findings from the Institute of Astrophysics in Potsdam (AIP) to calculate that there was a 1 in 450 chance that the Apophis asteroid will collide with Earth, the Potsdamer Neuerster Nachrichten reported.

NASA had previously estimated the chances at only 1 in 45,000 but told its sister organisation, the European Space Agency (ESA), that the young whizzkid had got it right.

The schoolboy took into consideration the risk of Apophis running into one or more of the 40,000 satellites orbiting Earth during its path close to the planet on April 13 2029.

Those satellites travel at 3.07 kilometres a second (1.9 miles), at up to 35,880 kilometres above earth -- and the Apophis asteroid will pass by earth at a distance of 32,500 kilometres.

If the asteroid strikes a satellite in 2029, that will change its trajectory making it hit earth on its next orbit in 2036.

Both NASA and Marquardt agree that if the asteroid does collide with earth, it will create a ball of iron and iridium 320 metres (1049 feet) wide and weighing 200 billion tonnes, which will crash into the Atlantic Ocean.

The shockwaves from that would create huge tsunami waves, destroying both coastlines and inland areas, whilst creating a thick cloud of dust that would darken the skies indefinitely.

The 13-year old made his discovery as part of a regional science competition for which he submitted a project entitled: "Apophis -- The Killer Astroid."
ImageImage Image
chippewa
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by chippewa »

time to get my affairs in order.... :-? :lol:
Carolinadreamin'
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 64
Favorite Boat Drink: Painkiller

Post by Carolinadreamin' »

Hubby has asked me to fry up a few pounds of bacon.......grill up a few dozen hamburgers and get another FCM 'cause we're gonna need a lot more boat drinks........anybody with us???? :lol: 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Pinot Noir in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO"
Tarheel Tail-Gator
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: A Pirate Looks at 40, Migration, Cowboy in the Jungle,,,,,,
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Zaya, with Lime and 1 ice cube

Post by Tarheel Tail-Gator »

I don't know
I don't know
I don't know where I'm gonna go when the asteroid strikes.
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

and it's gonna be too late to send Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck up to save us from this one...
CapnK
Hoot!

Post by CapnK »

RinglingRingling wrote:and it's gonna be too late to send Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck up to save us from this one...
maybe we can get Liv Tyler to look at it with those dreamy eyes and melt the sucker.
Telling myself the same lies that I told myself back home
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing

CapnK wrote:
RinglingRingling wrote:and it's gonna be too late to send Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck up to save us from this one...
maybe we can get Liv Tyler to look at it with those dreamy eyes and melt the sucker.
Isn't she still sucking face with Viggo Mortinson? or did she go "into the west" with the other pervy hobbit-fanciers? :D
Caribbean Soul Man
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Reggae Accident
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: 10 Cane Rum on ice

Post by Caribbean Soul Man »

so, we got that going for us...which is nice
you can't lay on the beach and drink rum all day if you don't start in the morning 8)

...I'm just tryin' to get by, being quiet and shy, in this world full of pushin' and shove...
CapnK
Hoot!

Post by CapnK »

RinglingRingling wrote:
CapnK wrote:
Isn't she still sucking face with Viggo Mortinson? or did she go "into the west" with the other pervy hobbit-fanciers? :D
:lol: no hobbit-foot fetish for RR? hmmm? :lol:
Telling myself the same lies that I told myself back home
Big Red Parrothead
I gotta go where it's warm
Location: "If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Post by Big Red Parrothead »

Not to take away from the discussion of Liv Tyler, but FWIW, NASA says the report of them changing their projections isn't true.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/080417/21/16ikw.html
unclejohn
Hoot!

Post by unclejohn »

Ok, but can we get back to Liv Tyler now? :lol:
I am no longer fighting my inner demons. We are on the same side now.
TropicalTroubador
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in front of me.

Post by TropicalTroubador »

Big Red Parrothead wrote:Not to take away from the discussion of Liv Tyler, but FWIW, NASA says the report of them changing their projections isn't true.

I saw that story too.

OTOH, it's been a long time since I believed anyone from the government telling me that something was "perfectly safe." They can say anything they want now; whoever's making the statement will probably be safely retired by 2029 anyway.
Living my life on Island Standard Time...
Island Standard Time - the new Trop Rock album from Loren Davidson - now available!

http://www.lorendavidson.com
flyboy55
I Love the Now!
Number of Concerts: 3

Post by flyboy55 »

I have completed my own analysis of the data and have concluded that Apophis will, in fact, collide with the Earth in 2029. The impact will knock global civilization back to the Stone Age with the unpleasant result that most of humanity will die off.

I have taken steps to preserve a small breeding population (myself and a few dozen female volunteers) deep in an unused mine shaft with enough finger food, beer and DVDs to last about 25 years.

I will emerge at that time to lead humanity into a prosperous future . . . 8)
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing

CapnK wrote:
RinglingRingling wrote:
CapnK wrote:
:lol: no hobbit-foot fetish for RR? hmmm? :lol:
I have hobbit feet. or at least the furriness. :D
Carolinadreamin'

Big Red Parrothead wrote:Not to take away from the discussion of Liv Tyler, but FWIW, NASA says the report of them changing their projections isn't true.

Oh.....my husband is going to be mad! :evil: He was planning on starting to eat bacon cheeseburgers starting this weekend........ :o :lol:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Pinot Noir in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO"
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing

Carolinadreamin' wrote:

Oh.....my husband is going to be mad! :evil: He was planning on starting to eat bacon cheeseburgers starting this weekend........ :o :lol:
tell him rubbing some dirt on the source of the pain will help.. :D
Carolinadreamin'

RinglingRingling wrote:
Carolinadreamin' wrote:

I tell him that all the time 8)
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing

Carolinadreamin' wrote:
RinglingRingling wrote:
Carolinadreamin' wrote:

I tell him that all the time 8)
that explains his nickname being, "Dusty" :D