40 lbs in 4 months

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

keybdplyr
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by keybdplyr »

I don’t think popcorn will be necessary. :)

I don’t know how this got focused on Lance Armstrong and cycling. I said CARDIO, no specific type, but many will go 500-100 calories per hour.

However, since you mention cycling, when I road cycle my average pace is right around 16 mi/hr average. I warm up and then pound it out at that pace for at least 30 minutes. At the end of the ride my calibrated bike computer gives me a summary and confirms the pace. This is about an 11 MET level which for me at 190 pounds goes about 950 cal/hr. I also run, usually about 8-9 minute miles, I divide distance by time to get average. 10-11 METs for about 850-950 cal/hr. Lap swimming, freestyle, 10 METs, (probably more, swimming is maybe the most demanding aerobic exercise, based on measured oxygen consumption values, but not much reference is available with respect to pacing) 850 cal/hr for me.

At the lower end of my estimations, say 500 cal/hr and say for a smaller person, maybe 150 pounds they would need an activity level at about 7 or 8 METs. Moderate cycling, 10-12 mph, running at 12 minute miles (5mph, just above fast walk) etc.

The Compendium of Physical Activities is a well documented reference source widely used by professionals in the field and by scientific researchers.

http://prevention.sph.sc.edu/tools/docs ... endium.pdf

Again, I’m truly interested in serious well researched information in this field. Please, if you have more accurate and/or more thorough resource I would appreciate reading it.
Longboardn' ASEL&S
I Love the Now!
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Longboardn' ASEL&S »

keybdplyr wrote:
At the lower end of my estimations, say 500 cal/hr and say for a smaller person, maybe 150 pounds they would need an activity level at about 7 or 8 METs. Moderate cycling, 10-12 mph, running at 12 minute miles (5mph, just above fast walk) etc.
That's about wher I figure the typical fitness/weight loss cardio people working, and anywhere from 400-600 is possible.

My only post age 30 weight gain came when I purchased a DX21 when they first came out. Between that and the sequencer, not to mention the RX21, I was hooked!
Took me a while to ween myself off of it.
Having to store the data on a cassette $ucked, but the MIDI worked great between the units.
Stuck with the workouts, gave up the keybdpln'.
ImageImage Old Man in Tank Top, Boardn' the Blacktop, Still chilln' after all of these years
keybdplyr
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by keybdplyr »

I think you’ve touched on something that I’ve found which is people SAY they’re “working out hard” but they aren’t really working that hard, (or that long, or that regular). When I say cardio, I mean CARDIO. :)

I’m basically retired from the music scene. It’s a young man’s game. Gets to be more work than fun. Loading 88 key keyboards, PA stuff speakerf, amp racks, etc. was a great workout but 2 o’clock in the morning is not a good time for exercise. :)
Longboardn' ASEL&S
I Love the Now!

Post by Longboardn' ASEL&S »

Drummers look like the only ones getting any cardio, and they have alot of equipment to lug, depending on their kit style, but they always seem to be the heaviest!
Maybe they store a stash of snacks in the floor tom.
ImageImage Old Man in Tank Top, Boardn' the Blacktop, Still chilln' after all of these years
Dr.Corona
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

Well, the good Doctor is down 33 LBS. in about 9 or 10 weeks so I'm a

Happy Camper right now!!!

But as I know all too well know, it's harder to keep it off than it is to lose it!!!

Fruits & Veggies is the ticket baby, fruits & veggies!!!
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image
pbans
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 9

Post by pbans »

Dr.Corona wrote:Well, the good Doctor is down 33 LBS. in about 9 or 10 weeks so I'm a

But as I know all too well know, it's harder to keep it off than it is to lose it!!!

WTG, DOC!

Most impressive.....so you'll be sporting that Corona Speedo soon?
Paige in Utah
"Don't try to shake it, just nod your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on"
Dr.Corona
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

pbans wrote:
Dr.Corona wrote:Well, the good Doctor is down 33 LBS. in about 9 or 10 weeks so I'm a

WTG, DOC!

Most impressive.....so you'll be sporting that Corona Speedo soon?
Speedo is not in my Creedo!!! :o :wink: :lol:
But thanks for the encouragement.
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image
iuparrothead
God's Own Drunk

Post by iuparrothead »

Longboardn'- I love the advice! Keep it coming!

I too, am trying to gain a better appearance for my wedding in November. Not necessarily trying to lose weight, but rather just fit in all my clothes better, have better muscle tone, etc. I could stand to lose 15 lbs or so, but it's not necessary.

What I realized recently, after much dismay on how my body wasn't changing much despite a pretty rigid workout routine & good eating habits, was that I'm a sugar addict. I definitely have a love affair with the high fructose corn syrup & I didn't even know it! I started looking around at the things I eat (like Raisin Bran in the morning) and nearly EVERYTHING had hfcs. I eat small portions & have healthy snacks like fruits & veggies in between meals, plus I drink anywhere from 64-96 ozs of water a day... all to still see no change once I ramped up my workouts to 1.5 hours 4 days a week (or more). I'm in the process now of eliminating sugars from my diet & I know something's happening internally because I feel like crap. Fortunately, I've received a lot of advice from people I trust that have suggested I should feel this way & it will pass.

Count me in for the fat club! Although it's not my main goal to lose weight, if it happens as a result of all of this, fine with me! :D
Image`How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
`You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
Salukulady
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 7

Post by Salukulady »

iuparrothead wrote:Longboardn'- I love the advice! Keep it coming!

I too, am trying to gain a better appearance for my wedding in November. Not necessarily trying to lose weight, but rather just fit in all my clothes better, have better muscle tone, etc. I could stand to lose 15 lbs or so, but it's not necessary.

What I realized recently, after much dismay on how my body wasn't changing much despite a pretty rigid workout routine & good eating habits, was that I'm a sugar addict. I definitely have a love affair with the high fructose corn syrup & I didn't even know it! I started looking around at the things I eat (like Raisin Bran in the morning) and nearly EVERYTHING had hfcs. I eat small portions & have healthy snacks like fruits & veggies in between meals, plus I drink anywhere from 64-96 ozs of water a day... all to still see no change once I ramped up my workouts to 1.5 hours 4 days a week (or more). I'm in the process now of eliminating sugars from my diet & I know something's happening internally because I feel like crap. Fortunately, I've received a lot of advice from people I trust that have suggested I should feel this way & it will pass.

Count me in for the fat club! Although it's not my main goal to lose weight, if it happens as a result of all of this, fine with me! :D
Come join us at the new fat club called HEALTHY LIVING in off topics. Lots of us post daily our Intake (food) and Output (exercise) to keep ourselves on track.
You're correct, sugar is so addicting...and comes in so many forms....I don't know if you caught the post; high fructose corn syrup actually stimulates your appetite, making you want more....evil stuff....hopefully see you over at HEALTHY LIVING!
mermaidindisguise
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Lucky Stars
Number of Concerts: 14
Favorite Boat Drink: Key Lime Pie By Z-Man!

Post by mermaidindisguise »

SharkOnLand wrote:Don't avoid eating. You'll end up bigger in the long run. You need to eat smaller meals more often.

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but eating more often raises your metabolism, and your body uses calories/fat more efficiently.

Starving yourself only results in your body shutting down and trying to store more fat reserves, so when you do end up eating, your body tries to convert it to fat.
I agree - eat small healthy meals - avoid processed, sugar, salt and flour - eat a lot of raw veggies and fruits.... and may I Highly recommend taking a zumba class in your area - if you go 3xa week you are gonna lose it! I have lost 15 lb - all zumba I could have lost more if I did the food better. But now that I am getting married in 10 days and my gown doesn't fit - I am kicking it up a notch - I teach Zumba now and go to other classes, eating 5 small meals a day and plenty ofwater - and yes - you do need water no matter what the "new reports" say.

So good luck!!! Let's pray I can zip my dress up all the way next Sat .. but the good news is I can now get into all the clothes I was unable to wear a few weeks ago. YOU CAN DO IT!!!! (I still need to lose a few even after the dress fits so I am trying not to use my weding as a complete goal.... I want to keep it off forever!
Catch&Release
Havana Daydreamin'

Post by Catch&Release »

Well, it's 10 days before the wedding. In four months, I lost 15 lbs. Not my goal but at least I wont look so much like Shrek in our wedding photos.

Fighting the urge to hit the drive thru has made the biggest difference as has doing a couple hundred stomach crunches each night. Walking certainly has helped as well.

Thanks for the tips, everyone.
:D
I don't want to live on that kind of island
No, I don't want to swim in a roped off sea.
Too much for me, too much for me
I've got to be where the wind and the water are free.
SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Post by SMLCHNG »

Congrats and Good luck!!! :D:D
flipflopgirl
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 53
Favorite Boat Drink: Z-Man's MANGO THINGIES!!!!!
Location: I have been promoted from John Frinzi's stalker to ROADIE!!!! :)

Post by flipflopgirl »

Catch&Release wrote:Well, it's 10 days before the wedding. In four months, I lost 15 lbs. Not my goal but at least I wont look so much like Shrek in our wedding photos.

Fighting the urge to hit the drive thru has made the biggest difference as has doing a couple hundred stomach crunches each night. Walking certainly has helped as well.

Thanks for the tips, everyone.
:D

GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and best of luck with your wedding!! have a wonderful day!!!! :D :D :D post some pic please!!! [smilie=battingeyes.gif]
Image "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats." Mark Twain
Salukulady
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 7

Post by Salukulady »

Hey, you did great! I know you feel so much better. Let us know how the wedding goes and we'd love to see pictures! Take care and remember; "With a little love and luck you will get by!"
Catch&Release
Havana Daydreamin'

Post by Catch&Release »

Thanks, everyone! :D :D :D
I don't want to live on that kind of island
No, I don't want to swim in a roped off sea.
Too much for me, too much for me
I've got to be where the wind and the water are free.