HEALTHY LIVING

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Capt.Flock
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Capt.Flock »

buffettbride wrote:
iuparrothead wrote:Okay, I'm here now. This is going to be quite the experiment since I haven't been visiting BN regularly lately, but I'm going to try. I may have to give more weekly updates than daily.

Anyway, I had a hard boiled egg & 2 pieces wheat toast for breakfast. A Trio bar for a snack. 2 crab cakes & a bowl of cooked spinach for lunch. A Quaker granola bar for a snack & then a buffalo chicken wrap for dinner (it was small & no blue cheese). Oh, and a I drank a large glass of milk. Now I'm having a small V-8. No exercise today because I worked 12 hours, but I'll do 60 minutes of cardio (including a mile run) & resistance training tomorrow (a variation of my regular routine).

I got a compliment that I looked like I'd lost weight tonight. I haven't, but it was nice to hear that since that's what I'm aiming for!!
ANNNIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D

As for me, I did my run last night and upped the speed, too, so I beat my mile time. Down 6lbs so far and my calves look awesome. :D
ImageImage Image
Capt.Flock

Post by Capt.Flock »

Just a quick question , I am going to teach spin class but I need some impute on music to played during class. If you have any suggestions please let me know. Looking for upbeat music. Thanks in advance.
ImageImage Image
pbans
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 9

Post by pbans »

So has anyone done a vegetarian or even semi-vegetarian diet?

I've already stopped eating pork....and I'm not to hip on beef these days.
I don't think I could give up chicken......but just not that in to meat anymore....

Just curious.....
Paige in Utah
"Don't try to shake it, just nod your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on"
buffettbride
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Cuba Libre

Post by buffettbride »

pbans wrote:So has anyone done a vegetarian or even semi-vegetarian diet?

I don't think I could give up chicken......but just not that in to meat anymore....

Just curious.....
I tried the vegetarian thing for a while in my early twenties. Got a little tired of salad. :lol: I do definitely go through stages when meat is altogether unappealing for a while, though. I'd rather give up chicken than anything else.

It probably wouldn't be so bad if you like beans and have a taste for tofu and boca burgers. soy, however, is one of those high-allergen, hard to digest foods, so i'm generally not a fan.

on the other hand, much of what we're eating at our house these days are veggies and brown or wild rice and the family isn't complaining.
pbans
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by pbans »

buffettbride wrote:

Just curious.....
I tried the vegetarian thing for a while in my early twenties. Got a little tired of salad. :lol: I do definitely go through stages when meat is altogether unappealing for a while, though. I'd rather give up chicken than anything else.

It probably wouldn't be so bad if you like beans and have a taste for tofu and boca burgers. soy, however, is one of those high-allergen, hard to digest foods, so i'm generally not a fan.

on the other hand, much of what we're eating at our house these days are veggies and brown or wild rice and the family isn't complaining.
I love beans, but haven't really tried tofu......
I've found that I really like soy milk and prefer it to cow's milks.....

I'm sure I'll eat a burger or something once in a while.....but I'm just kind of skeeved out by meat lately....
Paige in Utah
Carolinadreamin'
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 64
Favorite Boat Drink: Painkiller

Post by Carolinadreamin' »

pbans wrote:
buffettbride wrote:

Just curious.....

I love beans, but haven't really tried tofu......
I've found that I really like soy milk and prefer it to cow's milks.....

I'm sure I'll eat a burger or something once in a while.....but I'm just kind of skeeved out by meat lately....
Paige I'm with Mal on this one. I tried it about 10 years ago because I thought I would be healthier........I missed meat......oh well..... :roll:

One word of advice.......be very careful you get your required protein each day. Too little protein can cause brittle bones and make your hair fall out...... :o
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Pinot Noir in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO"
pbans
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by pbans »

Yeah, I've been pretty diligent about the protein thing.....I'm kinda vain and I don't want my hair to fall out.

If I'm low for the day, I'll make a protein shake latte as dessert......
Chocolate Unjury, soy milk, and a tsp of decaf instant coffee....pretty darn good!

I'm getting between 60-80 gms a day..........

Mostly it's just pork and beef that bug me.....so pretty much animals with hooves....I still like beaks and fins!
Paige in Utah
Carolinadreamin'
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 64
Favorite Boat Drink: Painkiller

Post by Carolinadreamin' »

pbans wrote:Yeah, I've been pretty diligent about the protein thing.....I'm kinda vain and I don't want my hair to fall out.

If I'm low for the day, I'll make a protein shake latte as dessert......
Chocolate Unjury, soy milk, and a tsp of decaf instant coffee....pretty darn good!

I'm getting between 60-80 gms a day..........

Mostly it's just pork and beef that bug me.....so pretty much animals with hooves....I still like beaks and fins!
I think they served that today for lunch! :lol:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Pinot Noir in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO"
iuparrothead
God's Own Drunk

Post by iuparrothead »

buffettbride wrote:
iuparrothead wrote:Okay, I'm here now. This is going to be quite the experiment since I haven't been visiting BN regularly lately, but I'm going to try. I may have to give more weekly updates than daily.

Anyway, I had a hard boiled egg & 2 pieces wheat toast for breakfast. A Trio bar for a snack. 2 crab cakes & a bowl of cooked spinach for lunch. A Quaker granola bar for a snack & then a buffalo chicken wrap for dinner (it was small & no blue cheese). Oh, and a I drank a large glass of milk. Now I'm having a small V-8. No exercise today because I worked 12 hours, but I'll do 60 minutes of cardio (including a mile run) & resistance training tomorrow (a variation of my regular routine).

I got a compliment that I looked like I'd lost weight tonight. I haven't, but it was nice to hear that since that's what I'm aiming for!!
ANNNIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D

As for me, I did my run last night and upped the speed, too, so I beat my mile time. Down 6lbs so far and my calves look awesome. :D
MAL!!! Nice work! I find that my calves are the first place my body really gets toned well. They feel like rocks & they still hurt from my early morning class last Friday!

I had oatmeal for breakfast (the instant kind so it wasn't that good for me), glass of oj. We had croissants & jam to celebrate Admin Asst's day & I had a Trio bar later on. Now I'm going to lunch so I'll update later this afternoon or evening after the gym!
Image`How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
`You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
Salukulady
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 7

Post by Salukulady »

Capt.Flock wrote:Just a quick question , I am going to teach spin class but I need some impute on music to played during class. If you have any suggestions please let me know. Looking for upbeat music. Thanks in advance.
Play that funky music by wild cherry is a good one!
Salukulady
Behind Door #3

Post by Salukulady »

Just curious.....
My brothers been a vegetarian for over 30 years. He will eat milk and cheese but no eggs. He also avoids all processed foods. No sugar or preservatives. Physically, he's very lean and all muscle. I try to pattern my eating habits after him, but I am a carnivore. He misses meat, but if he eats it, he gets violently sick.
Barefoot Gypsy
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: Really?! That's like picking a fave child...too hard to pick one.
Number of Concerts: 21
Favorite Boat Drink: Purple Rain...anything with tequila or rum!

Post by Barefoot Gypsy »

Everyone sounds to be doing well and staying on track. I am definately finding that being here helps me get my body moving. This cardio twister thing is pretty cool. I am mixing it up with a couple other things and walking. Not really changing much with eating. I thankfully don't seem to have any real issues there. I am trying to undo the effects of taking way way too much prednisone. Back about 3 years ago just couldn't get allergies and athsma under control. I have a great great doc and he tried everything. Ended up having to take prednisone for 3 months......20 a day!!! Never even dawned on me that was why I was gaining weight until I heard someone else talking about it. Ding ding...bells went off. Went back and looked at calendar and the weight gain started right along with my high dose regimen of prednisone. It was driving me crazy because I was eating the same and walking everyday and could not figure it out. After looking into it I found story after story. That stuff resets your whole body in all sorts of ways. I have been sitting at the same weight since I quit taking them and no matter what I have done can't budge the scales. Suddenly around Thanksgiving/Christmas (when we all eat more usually) I got on the scale and had lost 5 pounds. I was doing nothing at that time to lose because I was so discouraged. Decided to see how far it would go on its own. Lost 5 more pounds. Have maintained the 10lb. loss since January. So, decided it was time to make a real effort to start working out again and see if I can keep it going. Finding this thread was what got me really doing it again. Haven't lost anything yet but I feel better and I can feel muscles working. I advise everyone these days to avoid prednisone unless it is a last resort. because I sing I have had to go and get injections a few times of it due to having a show to play and no voice. Other than that I am staying away from it. Just wanted to share in case anyone doesn't know about it. Peace
"Barefoot children in the rain
Got no need to explain"

'Music is a moral law- it gives wings to the mind, A soul to the universe, Flight to the imagination, A charm to sadness, A life to everything.' - Plato
Salukulady
Behind Door #3

Post by Salukulady »

Intake and Output for 4/23/08

Snack-1/4 tuna sandwich, water
Gym
B-fast-1 egg scram w/spinach, tomatoes, parmesan. Slice cracked wheat bread, coffee
Swim laps for 30 min
Lunch-tuna sandwich on cracked wheat bread, water, 2 squares dark chocolate
Dinner-sirloin burger on whole wheat bun w/cheese, water
keynorthwestprthd
Gypsies in the palace
Favorite Buffett Song: Savannah Fare You Well
Number of Concerts: 3
Favorite Boat Drink: Mango Margarita

Post by keynorthwestprthd »

Breakfast: Egg Whites and Whole Wheat Toast

Lunch: Chicken Pita

Dinner: Chicken

I stupidly had some mozzarella sticks today but I will just work extra hard at the gym tonight!
pbans
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by pbans »

Down 27 lbs as of this morning!

Feeling great.....my exercise has been a little lacking this week....I let the weather be my excuse.

I do move a lot at work.....so I know I burn calories....but just not getting the cardio that I need.

Picked up a set of resistance bands and have started working with them.....a stability ball, too. Damn dogs think it's a play toy whenever I bring it out, though......
Paige in Utah
pbans
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by pbans »

Interesting article.....

What if no one were fat?
Paige in Utah
iuparrothead
God's Own Drunk

Post by iuparrothead »

[quote="pbans"]Down 27 lbs as of this morning![quote]

WTG Paige! :D

Well, I broke down yesterday after lunch... I couldn't fight the sugar craving & I bought a Blow Pop in the convenient store downstairs... & some Lifesavers. At least I didn't eat the whole role, just 3. Oh, and approximately 90 ozs of water.

I went to the gym & did a half hour of hard eliptical & then finished off with a 15 minute hard run on the treadmill (about 1.5 miles). Then I worked on upper body strengthening machines for 20 minutes.

We have no food at our house, but I had to make one of those instant meals in a frozen bag... it was something like garlic chicken & pasta with vegetables. I only ate the chicken & veggies. Plus I had a handful of carrots & hummus right when I got home after work.

I got a little extra in my workout by running up and down the stairs several times to do laundry.

This morning I had 1 hard boiled egg, 2 pieces wheat toast, small glass of oj & coffee.

Trio bar & 3 lifesavers. So far I'm on track to have 96 ozs of water today. Off to the gym in an hour or so!
iuparrothead
God's Own Drunk

Post by iuparrothead »

Ooh! And what do you know!? As soon as I hit send on the previous post, our assistant brought me the mail & I received my copy of 'Get The Sugar Out: 501 Simple Ways to Cut the Sugar Out of Any Diet' Can't wait to read this to get some real, practical advice! I'll share if I find anything interesting!
Salukulady
Behind Door #3

Post by Salukulady »

iuparrothead wrote:Ooh! And what do you know!? As soon as I hit send on the previous post, our assistant brought me the mail & I received my copy of 'Get The Sugar Out: 501 Simple Ways to Cut the Sugar Out of Any Diet' Can't wait to read this to get some real, practical advice! I'll share if I find anything interesting!
Yes, the sugar monster gets us all and I've found lifesavers a good way to curb it too. 10 calories each. So what....We could be eating something so much worse.....and I used to everyday!
keynorthwestprthd
Gypsies in the palace
Favorite Buffett Song: Savannah Fare You Well
Number of Concerts: 3
Favorite Boat Drink: Mango Margarita

Post by keynorthwestprthd »

Sugar was a bad habit to break, I pretty much didn't really have any energy my first week of cutting out soda and energy drinks.