Joe Merchant

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Frank4
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: Death of an Unpopular Poet
Number of Concerts: 13
Favorite Boat Drink: Cajun Martini

Joe Merchant

Post by Frank4 »

Whatever happened to "Where Is Joe Merchant" being made into a movie? It was talked about for awhile. Nothing ever became of it.
YuppieParrothead
Gypsies in the palace
Favorite Buffett Song: False Echoes
Number of Concerts: 27

Post by YuppieParrothead »

I believe it is being released in conjunction with the Coastal Confessions and Paris DVD's!! :wink:
Some people never find it, some only pretend; but me, I just want to live happily ever after every now and then.
changingchannels
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by changingchannels »

YuppieParrothead wrote:I believe it is being released in conjunction with the Coastal Confessions and Paris DVD's!! :wink:
and the tahiti dates!
"I enjoy this life as a jester
Seems to keep me moving around
Like the wind that blows, tides that flow
I have my ups and downs"
Bfan53
License to Chill

Re: Joe Merchant

Post by Bfan53 »

Frank4 wrote:Whatever happened to "Where Is Joe Merchant" being made into a movie? It was talked about for awhile. Nothing ever became of it.
Unfortunately, I don't think the idea of a movie based Joe Merchant ever really got beyond the talking stage, if that..... :o

Too bad because, with the right producer and cast, I think it would have been a decent flick! :pirate:
changingchannels
License to Chill

Post by changingchannels »

as much as i would like to see it become a movie the book is so good i would be afraid a film version of it would be done poorly.
"I enjoy this life as a jester
Seems to keep me moving around
Like the wind that blows, tides that flow
I have my ups and downs"
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

If "Hoot" is any indication of what happens when Jimmy gets involved with making a movie, we're better off without it.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
JustDucky
I Love the Now!

Post by JustDucky »

For me, it's his best book and he'll never top it. It was full of hints of songs to come - hell, an album to come. It will never be made into a movie - none of Jimmy's books will be made into movies. He's got his own movies - all those live DVDs.

What's that line?
Talk, talk, talk 'til your jowls turn blue
But you never really tell me what you’re gonna do

That's Coastal Confessions for one. Joe Merchant is another.
ccmatt
Gypsies in the palace

Post by ccmatt »

LIPH wrote:If "Hoot" is any indication of what happens when Jimmy gets involved with making a movie, we're better off without it.

I disagree, I thought Hoot was an excellent "tweener movie".
ColdWaterConch
If we weren't all crazy ...

Post by ColdWaterConch »

ccmatt wrote:
LIPH wrote:If "Hoot" is any indication of what happens when Jimmy gets involved with making a movie, we're better off without it.

My wife teaches tweens. She showed the movie in a number of her classes. All her kids thought it sucked.

As did my tweens.

Odd, no?
"Key West trades in on the name 'Hemingway." You can't take a leak without seeing Hemingway this and Hemingway that. And the irony is, if Hemingway were alive today he'd take a blowtorch to Duvall Street." Hiaasen
bravedave
At the Bama Breeze

Re: Joe Merchant

Post by bravedave »

Frank4 wrote:Whatever happened to "Where Is Joe Merchant" being made into a movie? It was talked about for awhile. Nothing ever became of it.
A guy named Frankowns the rights, IIRC.

His company
“Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.”
- Kaiser Welhelm

"The call is a loud wulli-wulli, and there is much twittering at the drinking holes."
Frank4
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: Death of an Unpopular Poet
Number of Concerts: 13
Favorite Boat Drink: Cajun Martini

Post by Frank4 »

oddly enough, I did not mind "Hoot" neither did my tweener. She thought it was okay. Academy Award wining-hardly. A nice movie-yes!

Forwhatever reason, when I read Joe Merchant I always saw Dennis Quaid as Frank Bamma and Harrison Ford as Blanton, maybe even JB himself. Eric Clapton has Joe Merchant....

Now you all know why, my wife says I need to get out of the house more. :D
ccmatt
Gypsies in the palace

Post by ccmatt »

Frank4 wrote:oddly enough, I did not mind "Hoot" neither did my tweener. She thought it was okay. Academy Award wining-hardly. A nice movie-yes!

Forwhatever reason, when I read Joe Merchant I always saw Dennis Quaid as Frank Bamma and Harrison Ford as Blanton, maybe even JB himself. Eric Clapton has Joe Merchant....

Now you all know why, my wife says I need to get out of the house more. :D

Kurt Russell as Frank Bama. Dennis Quaid as Merchant. Nick Nolte as Blanton.
ccmatt
Gypsies in the palace

Post by ccmatt »

ColdWaterConch wrote:
ccmatt wrote:

My wife teaches tweens. She showed the movie in a number of her classes. All her kids thought it sucked.

As did my tweens.

Odd, no?

Depends on the kids she teaches. My kids are outside all day, fishing, swimming, playing ball, catching fire flys, reading in the hammock. They definately related to the movie.
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

Found him living under a bridge in Destin. After that.. all the mystery went away.
jbfins
I gotta go where it's warm

Post by jbfins »

I have actually been thinking about this a little, since I am determined to write a movie script within the next few months. I figure as soon as my script is done, produced into a movie and I win an oscar I'll have the clout necessary to approach JB with my ideas for a Joe Merchant movie.
"Some people never find it..."
ColdWaterConch
If we weren't all crazy ...

Post by ColdWaterConch »

ccmatt wrote:
ColdWaterConch wrote:
ccmatt wrote:

As did my tweens.

Odd, no?

Depends on the kids she teaches. My kids are outside all day, fishing, swimming, playing ball, catching fire flys, reading in the hammock. They definately related to the movie.
So are mine, as well as her kids, as she teaches in a rural area.

They enjoyed the book better than the movie. That happens.
"Key West trades in on the name 'Hemingway." You can't take a leak without seeing Hemingway this and Hemingway that. And the irony is, if Hemingway were alive today he'd take a blowtorch to Duvall Street." Hiaasen
Bfan53
License to Chill

Post by Bfan53 »

jbfins wrote:I have actually been thinking about this a little, since I am determined to write a movie script within the next few months. I figure as soon as my script is done, produced into a movie and I win an oscar I'll have the clout necessary to approach JB with my ideas for a Joe Merchant movie.
A person with a plan.......go for it!!!!! :D :pirate:
Finnsaremorefun
Havana Daydreamin'
Number of Concerts: 14

Post by Finnsaremorefun »

ColdWaterConch wrote:
ccmatt wrote:
ColdWaterConch wrote:
ccmatt wrote:

As did my tweens.

Odd, no?

So are mine, as well as her kids, as she teaches in a rural area.

They enjoyed the book better than the movie. That happens.
I'm 21 now, watched 'Hoot' at 19, a teen rather than a tween. If not for the music, it would've been a sleeper. It wasn't worth revamping Floridays over..we don't need to have a jumpy :D :lol: :P [smilie=battingeyes.gif] remake of everything already good.
Got a carribean soul I can barely control