Annapolis, MD

This is a travelogue area for places to visit, stay, eat, etc...

Moderator: SMLCHNG

McGee
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Number of Concerts: 19
Favorite Boat Drink: Mt. Gay Extra Old on the rocks

Annapolis, MD

Post by McGee »

My wife and I are headed to Annapolis this weekend so I can do the Bay Bridge Swim. We should be in town by Noon on Friday and are leaving Monday afternoon. We're staying at the Springhill Suites just outside of downtown.

I have done some research on things we want to see but the most important thing to me is to not get stuck in traffic and being able to park when we get somewhere. From what I read this could be an issue. I don't mind slow moving traffic for a while but I don't want to be bumper to bumper for an hour when i could go somewhere else and have no traffic.

Saturday we're thinking of driving to St. Michaels on the Eastern shore. How's Bay Bridge traffic on Saturday mornings? (for that matter Sunday mornings too when I'll be very anxious to get to the race start and traffic delays will totally screw with my head!!)

Any ideas for casual outdoor dining? We're going to try Mike's for lunch on Friday (probably) but any other suggestions would be most welcome.
Last edited by McGee on June 9, 2009 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indecision may or may not be my problem....
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: Annapolis, MD

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

As far as traffic goes, treat the Bay Bridge like a worse version of the Sagamore and Bourne bridges on a Saturday morning and plan accordingly.... All of MD and Northern VA are trying to get to the Eastern Shore and the ocean via that one bridge.... If you have an EZ-Pass, bring it. I think it works for the bridge.

Annapolis is a walking town; you'll want to avoid driving downtown if you can. Ever been to Newport, RI? *Very* similar: small streets, lots of one way streets, relatively little parking. If you do drive into downtown, use the parking garage on Duke of Gloucester St (between Duke of Gloucester and Gorman Streets, one block off Main St. Look for signs; I've never used that garage but I've seen signs for it on Main). Another parking option is to park over in Eastport and walk back over the bridge into downtown Annapolis. From your hotel you come into Eastport the back way and avoid Annapolis:

189 Admiral Cochrane DrAnnapolis, MD 21401
1. Head west on Admiral Cochrane Dr toward Spruill Rd 0.5 mi
2. Turn right at Riva Rd 0.1 mi
3. Take the ramp onto Aris Allen Blvd/MD-665 E 1.6 mi
4. Continue on Forest Dr 0.5 mi
5. Turn left at Hilltop Ln 1.2 mi
6. Slight right at Tyler Ave 0.3 mi
7. Turn left at Bay Ridge Ave 0.4 mi
8. Bay Ridge Ave turns slightly right and becomes Chesapeake Ave 0.5 mi
Fourth St

You can find parking on the side streets in Eastport (Burnside St, State St, Severn Ave, etc) but be careful and watch the signs that designate resident parking only. You'll get towed.

As far as eating, Pussers at the Marriott Waterfront is a little expensive but right on the water, the Painkillers are the best, and the seafood is awesome. The atmosphere is casual.

Chick and Ruth's Deli is a *must*. Halfway up Main St (from the harbor) on the left. A 3-5 minute walk from the harbor. Breakfast all the time and huge deli sandwiches.

If you want ice cream, it's Storm Brothers, on the harbor.

If you can fit it in and you've never been, take a quick walking tour of the Naval Academy. Visitors can enter Gate 1 between 9AM and 5PM with a driver's license as ID. There are guided walking tours from the Visitor's Center or you can just walk around the grounds. The chapel is more a cathedral and it's pretty awesome.

Now I need a trip to Annapolis! :lol:
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
McGee

Post by McGee »

Thanks SchoolGirl,

Your excellent bridge and newport anaologies gives me a good idea what we're in for. Good tips on parking too!

I gave up alcohol for the past month as part of my training but I fully plan to jump back in with a Painkiller (level 3 if they have it) from Pussers. We've been to all the Pusser's locations in the BVI and are looking forward to one day visiting the two in Europe as well.

We are planning on touring the academy Monday morning before we leave.

Thanks again!
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

McGee wrote:I fully plan to jump back in with a Painkiller (level 3 if they have it) from Pussers. We've been to all the Pusser's locations in the BVI and are looking forward to one day visiting the two in Europe as well.
They have it. 8)

A bit more on the bridge: I suspect if you get up and moving early on Saturday you may be okay, but I'd check local knowledge when you get there Friday. The bridge is two spans and they'll take one lane of the westbound span for eastbound traffic on Friday and Saturday, so that helps some.
Last edited by SchoolGirlHeart on June 9, 2009 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Take your time
Find your passion
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
bravedave
At the Bama Breeze

Post by bravedave »

It's a bit of a secret...

http://www.cantlers.com/
Beach Bob
I have found me a home

Post by Beach Bob »

Saturday is change over day for the weekly renters at the beach. The traffic is no fun on Saturday heading over on the east span. Early is better on Sat. morning. Here is the number for the bay bridge: 1-877-BAYSPAN, it is kept up to date with delays. St Michael's is great, my wife and I have a place in Easton (10 minutes from St. Michael's) and go there a lot. It's a nice town, with small shops. Check out Bleachers (a Buffettesque type store) the owner splits time in MD and Key West. He has a great knowledge of Trop-a-billy music too. If you like BBQ sauces, marinades, hot sauces and spices, you can check out Flamingo Flats. Everything is right on the main strip. Town Dock and the Crab Claw are two places to grab lunch or a drink on the water. Ask anyone there and they can point you in the right direction.
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

bravedave wrote:It's a bit of a secret...

Thank you!! I ate there years ago and couldn't remember the name. Agreed, great place!

Take your time
Find your passion
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
McGee

Post by McGee »

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I think Cantlers made the short list. :lol:

Based on the responses I think we may just reverse our plans and head over the Bridge to St. Michaels and on to Tilghman on Friday afternoon. With the long days of summer upon us we'll still have a lot of time to explore that area on Friday and head back against traffic. We'll just stay around Annapolis on Saturday. For the most part we're on vacation so we'll be flexible either way.
karat
Lester Polyester
Number of Concerts: 26
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita with Passion Berry
Location: "I’m just hangin’ on while this old world keeps spinning." (It's a freakin' tilt-a-whirl!)

Post by karat »

I love pussers and cantlers is just across from my cousin' house! I love annapolis!!!
~ Karat
(I am a Travel Agent)
sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

bravedave wrote:It's a bit of a secret...

I ate there in 01 and loved it.
Great softshell crab sammich!
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"
bravedave
At the Bama Breeze

Post by bravedave »

I just heard (last minute, I know) that Jake is at the Ram's Head in Annapolis today.
I would be there if I could!
MacPhin
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: Anything BUT Cheeseburger
Favorite Boat Drink: PainKiller

Post by MacPhin »

this is great info everyone. jen i'll most likely email you about some more info. dave and i meet a couple from md. while at a sox game a week ago. he has season tickets to the orioles and oftered us saturday, sept. the 19th with the sox, seven rows behind home plate!!!
i'm thinking that we'll head to annapolis on friday morning from my parents place in nj. i am assuming that traffic will still be bad at that time of the year, correct??

we need a pusser's painkiller...aaahhhhhhhhhh, love them. :D
Image Image
JB on Anguilla 3/24/07 St.Barth's 11/7/09

Lately,newspaper mentioned cheap airfare.
I've got to fly to Saint Somewhere.
I'm close to bodily harm.
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

MacPhin wrote:this is great info everyone. jen i'll most likely email you about some more info. dave and i meet a couple from md. while at a sox game a week ago. he has season tickets to the orioles and oftered us saturday, sept. the 19th with the sox, seven rows behind home plate!!!
i'm thinking that we'll head to annapolis on friday morning from my parents place in nj. i am assuming that traffic will still be bad at that time of the year, correct??

Friday morning shoudn't be bad. Don't go 95 through Baltimore. After crossing the Delaware Memorial Bridge, from Wilmington, DE take US-13 south to US-301 down the eastern shore to US-50 west and across the Bay Bridge into Annapolis.

Take your time
Find your passion
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
MacPhin
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: Anything BUT Cheeseburger
Favorite Boat Drink: PainKiller

Post by MacPhin »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
MacPhin wrote:this is great info everyone. jen i'll most likely email you about some more info. dave and i meet a couple from md. while at a sox game a week ago. he has season tickets to the orioles and oftered us saturday, sept. the 19th with the sox, seven rows behind home plate!!!

Friday morning shoudn't be bad. Don't go 95 through Baltimore. After crossing the Delaware Memorial Bridge, from Wilmington, DE take US-13 south to US-301 down the eastern shore to US-50 west and across the Bay Bridge into Annapolis.
okay, i believe we have taken 13 and 301 before when we wanted to avoid traffic somewhere, dc i believe.
i'm thinking that it should take us about 3.5 hours from my parents place in nj. i'll have to map quest it.
Image Image
JB on Anguilla 3/24/07 St.Barth's 11/7/09

Lately,newspaper mentioned cheap airfare.
I've got to fly to Saint Somewhere.
I'm close to bodily harm.
McGee

Post by McGee »

Here's a mini trip report for anyone interested. If anyone wants more info on any of the restaurants, just PM me.

Friday we had lunch at Mikes. I had a dozen oysters and a softshell crab sandwich. My wife had a lump crabcake sandwich. The food was very good and the service was fair. We arrived there early, around 11:30, and were able to get a seat on the rail. By 12:30 the deck was packed. Lunch for two (no alcohol) was around $50.00 I'd return here.

Friday dinner was at the Crab Claw in St. Michaels. We didn't plan to eat here but a store owner recommended it so we tried it. We started with Crab dip and I had Grilled Rockfish for dinner. My wife had Scallops. Again the food was good and the service fair. This is somewhat of a touristy place but overall it wasn't bad and our table on the deck was great.
Dinner (no alcohol) was around $60.00

Saturday lunch was at McCarvey's (sp) in downtown Annapolis. We definitely didn't plan to eat here but this is where we ended up. We started with mussels and i had a crab cake sandwich and my wife had the fish sandwich. Service was very spotty and the food was OK. I wouldn't go back here to eat, although the bar looked great for a beer or two. Lunch was $60.00

Dinner Saturday night was Cantilers. WOW!! This place is crazy. First you need a map, gps, compass, and it wouldn't hurt to have celestrial navigation skills to find this place. The one poster who said this place is a "secret" probably hasn't been there in a while. We had to wait 15 minutes to PARK THE CAR!!! The lot was full and traffic was backed up on the street. After parking we had to wait one hour for the table (in truth we probably could have been seated earlier if we choose to eat inside) The wait would have been easier if i was drinking yet but I wasn't so we sat down near the water. Seating is at Picnic tables and as there were only two of us we ended up sharing a table with some other folks (didn't bother us a bit, but just an FYI if you're funny about stuff like that)

Now we're 75 minutes into this and haven't eaten yet so I'm very very cranky. I was doing the bay swim the next day and needed to carbo load and was hoping for seafood pasta. With nothing even close to that on the menu, we almost left but figured we had so much time invested we'd stick it out. We both ended up with the Crab boil. 3 large crabs, 1/2 pound of shrimp, roughly 20 mussels, and 10 quahogs (hardshell clams for those of you not from RI) It also came with coleslaw and an ear of corn. OH MY GOD--Best seafood meal I've ever had and I do NOT say that lightly. Even the corn was awesome. This meal was under $50 for both of us too! What a great deal. When we were leaving the table wait was 90 minutes AND there were over 30 cars waiting to park. Most of the regulars are very well prepared for this and actually tailgate in the parking lot--BRILLIANT!!

"lunch" sunday was crabdip and beer at Heminway's just over the bay bridge. (this is where the race ended) I swallowed some seawater on the trip across so i wasn't ready to fully test my stomach yet. however I washed the dip down with BEER!! My arms were so tired I had to drink the first one through a straw. This is actually a pretty cool spot, they had live music and the view is really good. The dip was better than others we had tried.

Dinner Sunday was at pussers. We went hear almost exclusively so i could have a few painkillers but the food was surprisingly good. We waited for an outside table and got a great one. We had mussells for an appertizer and I had a Jerk Tuna steak for dinner. My wife had bacon wrapped shrimp. I had some grilled cinnamon bannana think for dessert. Overall I was pleasantly surprised with this place and would go back. Dinner was up near $80 because of the drinks.

Lunch Monday was at the boatyard bar and grille. This is just over the bridge in Eastport. Mussells again for an appertizer (best of the trip) and we both had the crabcake platter, again the best of the trip. this is a local place, one block from the water, and I'd highly recommend it. I ended up trying a new Mt. Gay Rum which was SUPER good and having a couple of beers. I also had key lime pie for dessert. This was the most expensive meal of the trip coming in around $90. The Rum pushed this total up though, lunch for $40 would be easy here.

This is a great weekend destination and we'll probably go back with friends at some point. I'd seriously consider going down just to go back to Cantilers.
Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: "I Have Found Me a Home"
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark 'n Stormy

Post by Bfan53again »

Next time in Annapolis be sure to stop by Ram's Head Tavern on West Street (short walk from City Dock). They have great beers brewed themselves and excellent food. Their beer-batter shrimp are, well, I've driven 2 hours from my house just to eat them...... :roll:

Here's the restaurant's link: http://www.ramsheadtavern.com/annapolis/index.html (click "Menus" for food & drink)

You won't be disappointed....and they also have entertainment nightly, many times nationally known artists (click "On Stage", then "Calendar of Events" for current concert listing).
On most days I say: "Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been...."
Sometimes I can only say: "There is no dumbass vaccine......"

If something or someone gets you down, just remember: "In a hundred years it all won’t matter.........."
TSU86
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin to reason with hurricane season
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Cold beer (Does that count?)

Post by TSU86 »

Get across the bridge early, and it should not be an issue.

SGH -- I agree with the newport comparison. When we went to newport, I described it as a turbo charged Annapolis.

Other ideas -- Downtown Easton, or try taking the ferry from St Michaels to Oxford. Oxford, i think, is where they filmed alot of Wedding Crashers.
Sittin by the pool with a Yuengling, listening to Jimmy
Go Ravens !!!