How would You be affected by a Goverment Shutdown?

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH BEST...SONG...EVER!!
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Chill the rose

Re: How would You be affected by a Goverment Shutdown?

Post by ScarletB »

General Electric essentially pays NO taxes and yet we need to take food out of poor childrens mouths (cut WIC) and cut heating assistance to little old ladies in cold climates to save money. Years of tax breaks to big corporations have resulted in nothing but bigger bonus checks for the CEO's - not innovation, not job creation. But until the influence of lobbyists and corporate MONEY is rendered illegal, things will never be any different.

I really think it's time that those of us in the "Woodstock" generation, pull out the hippie garb and start making noise again. I agree that we need to get our finances under control but to do it on the backs of the poorest among us while the rich just keep getting break after break is ridiculous and immoral.

I don't know how any of them sleep at night.
GW - 7/19
Great Northern MOTM - 7/20-21
Hershey Labor Day Weekend Show - 8/29
MOTM - Oct 28
NEO
Behind Door #3
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum, Rhum, and Rum...

Post by NEO »

I hate all of this..
I am in the same boat with Jen, work now get paid later..
Pam, Cuts to WIC and All other public health Items are frightening!!!
I know infrastructure as been cut to the bone as well.

I just do not know how we can have troops all over the world be fighting in 3 wars
and keep all the plates spinning.
Atleast in previous wars we had americans making the munitions, now alot are made overseas on contracts.I am very concerned about the legacy of debt we are leaving behind, but have no idea on how to cut. Personally I seem to be paying more taxes, dealt with inflation but made less due to furlough and pay freezes.
What is my co-pay for Margaritaville?
Caribbean Soul Man
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Reggae Accident
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: 10 Cane Rum on ice

Post by Caribbean Soul Man »

yep...up is down and down is up
my 18 year old son making just above minimum wage as a lifeguard paid more in taxes last year than General Electric! I guess he should be consulting with Immelt to learn how to get a bunch of BS government contracts, take Billions in taxpayer funded bailout money, export American jobs overseas - AND still manage to pay ZERO in corporate income taxes and the kicker...get a gig advising obama on job creation (of all things) :roll:

Oh and let's all give a big one finger salute to the TransOcean execs who just gave each other big bonuses for their terrific safety record last year :evil: thanks so much guys, you're the best...
you can't lay on the beach and drink rum all day if you don't start in the morning 8)

...I'm just tryin' to get by, being quiet and shy, in this world full of pushin' and shove...
ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ScarletB »

I want to know how all the people who aren't Buffett fans deal with all of this. At least we have this diversion! :roll:
GW - 7/19
MOTM - Oct 28
TropicalTroubador
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in front of me.

Post by TropicalTroubador »

I would be saddened by a government shutdown, because it would mean that people are so jacked up on their own particular agendas that they can no longer work together for the sake of *all* the people.

But financially or in terms of my daily life? Nope. Not for a while.
Living my life on Island Standard Time...
Island Standard Time - the new Trop Rock album from Loren Davidson - now available!

http://www.lorendavidson.com
sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

My wife works for the IRS so we would be affected. But on the bright side my mom has an RV and a trailer camper on her property.
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"
ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ScarletB »

TropicalTroubador wrote:I would be saddened by a government shutdown, because it would mean that people are so jacked up on their own particular agendas that they can no longer work together for the sake of *all* the people.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell, no one cares about the country, just their own personal vendettas and agendas and keeping their wealthy backers happy.
GW - 7/19
MOTM - Oct 28
Tequila Revenge
Lester Polyester
Favorite Boat Drink: cubra libre

Post by Tequila Revenge »

ScarletB wrote:General Electric essentially pays NO taxes and yet we need to take food out of poor childrens mouths (cut WIC) and cut heating assistance to little old ladies in cold climates to save money. Years of tax breaks to big corporations have resulted in nothing but bigger bonus checks for the CEO's - not innovation, not job creation. But until the influence of lobbyists and corporate MONEY is rendered illegal, things will never be any different.

I really think it's time that those of us in the "Woodstock" generation, pull out the hippie garb and start making noise again. I agree that we need to get our finances under control but to do it on the backs of the poorest among us while the rich just keep getting break after break is ridiculous and immoral.

I don't know how any of them sleep at night.
Count me in 8)
got to stop wishin' got to start fishin'....
lati2d
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 32
Favorite Boat Drink: Used to be Cape Codder

Post by lati2d »

ScarletB wrote:
TropicalTroubador wrote:I would be saddened by a government shutdown, because it would mean that people are so jacked up on their own particular agendas that they can no longer work together for the sake of *all* the people.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell, no one cares about the country, just their own personal vendettas and agendas and keeping their wealthy backers happy.
Amen! The rich DO keep getting richer and most of the people in this country either don't get it or just don't care. But, at some point, everyone will care.
" I don't want to burn in hell; I just want to be lightly browned."

Kent
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

ScarletB wrote:I want to know how all the people who aren't Buffett fans deal with all of this. At least we have this diversion! :roll:
Um, not all of us have a diversion.... Furlough = No money for Buffett...... :-?
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ScarletB »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
ScarletB wrote:I want to know how all the people who aren't Buffett fans deal with all of this. At least we have this diversion! :roll:
Um, not all of us have a diversion.... Furlough = No money for Buffett...... :-?

Actually I even consider posting and reading here to be a worthy diversion from the insanity.
GW - 7/19
MOTM - Oct 28
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

ScarletB wrote:
SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
Actually I even consider posting and reading here to be a worthy diversion from the insanity.
True dat!

Take your time
Find your passion
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
Skibo
Hoot!

Post by Skibo »

The only effect on me is I will have to listen to the "class warfare" propaganda. Gobermint workers might see their paychecks delayed, but in past shutdowns, all workers have been paid their salaries during the shutdown period, so I expect all the SEIU workers to be taken care of. Its funny there hasn't been a federal budget for 18 months. It sure would have been nice if last years congress had passed a budget when it was their responsibility. All the crazy spending the democrats support could have passed easily when they had control of the house, senate and presidency.
Rub yours on me and I'll rub mine on you
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Skibo wrote:The only effect on me is I will have to listen to the "class warfare" propaganda. Gobermint workers might see their paychecks delayed, but in past shutdowns, all workers have been paid their salaries during the shutdown period, so I expect all the SEIU workers to be taken care of. Its funny there hasn't been a federal budget for 18 months. It sure would have been nice if last years congress had passed a budget when it was their responsibility. All the crazy spending the democrats support could have passed easily when they had control of the house, senate and presidency.
An awful lot of people, GOVERNMENT employees included, live pay check to pay check. A missed paycheck means a missed car payment or a missed mortgage/rent payment. Or worse.

CONGRESS shouldn't get paid after September 30th unless a budget is in place.

People who think they're not affected might be surprised. Expect your tax rebate check on time? You probably won't get it if there's a shutdown unless you already have it; a shutdown includes the IRS.

Take your time
Find your passion
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
Skibo
Hoot!

Post by Skibo »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:Expect your tax rebate check on time? You probably won't get it if there's a shutdown unless you already have it; a shutdown includes the IRS.
Rather that give the gobermint an interest free loan, my withholding is adjusted so I have to send a check on Apr. 15. I wonder if the people that accept and deposit my tax payment are considered "essential" or 'non-essential' ? :D
Rub yours on me and I'll rub mine on you
ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ScarletB »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
Skibo wrote:The only effect on me is I will have to listen to the "class warfare" propaganda. Gobermint workers might see their paychecks delayed, but in past shutdowns, all workers have been paid their salaries during the shutdown period, so I expect all the SEIU workers to be taken care of. Its funny there hasn't been a federal budget for 18 months. It sure would have been nice if last years congress had passed a budget when it was their responsibility. All the crazy spending the democrats support could have passed easily when they had control of the house, senate and presidency.
An awful lot of people, GOVERNMENT employees included, live pay check to pay check. A missed paycheck means a missed car payment or a missed mortgage/rent payment. Or worse.

People who think they're not affected might be surprised. Expect your tax rebate check on time? You probably won't get it if there's a shutdown unless you already have it; a shutdown includes the IRS.
If someone is in the process of getting a mortgage loan of any kind, one of our requirements is a copy of their last tax transcript - it's slow enough as it is but with fewer people available to send out the transcripts it could get ugly when sales contracts and interest rate locks start to expire - again, will cost the average guy money and not affect the jerks who are causing the problem. Add to that I don't get PAID until a loan closes. So yeah, I'll be affected too.
GW - 7/19
MOTM - Oct 28
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

ScarletB wrote:
SchoolGirlHeart wrote:

If someone is in the process of getting a mortgage loan of any kind, one of our requirements is a copy of their last tax transcript - it's slow enough as it is but with fewer people available to send out the transcripts it could get ugly when sales contracts and interest rate locks start to expire - again, will cost the average guy money and not affect the jerks who are causing the problem. Add to that I don't get PAID until a loan closes. So yeah, I'll be affected too.
Considering that my entire agency, including the director, has been told we're 'non-essential' I doubt there will be anyone available to make tax transcripts available.

Take your time
Find your passion
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
spartan1979
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: IPA

Post by spartan1979 »

TommyBahama wrote:it has effected me already....in that , they have been off since Obama took office, and everyone is cutting back on spending and companies cutting employees..
Yes, all that started happening after Obama took office. :roll:
ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ScarletB »

spartan1979 wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:it has effected me already....in that , they have been off since Obama took office, and everyone is cutting back on spending and companies cutting employees..
Unemployment was already at 9% or so before the end of W's term.
I'm always amazed that the same people in Washington who are screaming about rampant spending are the same people who voted for wars that were fought with 1. Bad intelligence - there were no WMD 2. No exit strategy and 3. Absolutely no idea how to fund them. But lets make cuts in services that are vital to a lot of elderly and poor to plug the gap that is in a fairly great measure due to these wars. D*mn those little old ladies who need heat in the winter anyway.

I can't believe what I read in the news, reminds me of the exchange below. I don't see how you can avoid calling it class warfare when GE pays no taxes and yet the kinds of cuts are being considered that will hugely impact the lives of many who have little. I really wish this was being melodramatic but every time I read another quote from some high ranking DC crank this is really what it seems to be coming to.

Ebenezer: Are there no prisons?
First Collector: Plenty of prisons.
Ebenezer: And the union workhouses - are they still in operation?
First Collector: They are. I wish I could say they were not.
Ebenezer: Oh, from what you said at first I was afraid that something had happened to stop them in their useful course. I'm very glad to hear it.
First Collector: I don't think you quite understand us, sir. A few of us are endeavoring to buy the poor some meat and drink, and means of warmth.
Ebenezer: Why?
First Collector: Because it is at Christmastime that want is most keenly felt, and abundance rejoices. Now what can I put you down for?
Ebenezer: Huh! Nothing!
Second Collector: You wish to be anonymous?
Ebenezer: [firmly, but calmly] I wish to be left alone. Since you ask me what I wish sir, that is my answer. I help to support the establishments I have named; those who are badly off must go there.
First Collector: Many can't go there.
Second Collector: And some would rather die.

I believe after this Scrooge said something like they best hurry up and die then and decrease the surplus population.
GW - 7/19
MOTM - Oct 28
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

ScarletB wrote:
spartan1979 wrote:
Unemployment was already at 9% or so before the end of W's term.
No it wasn't. When the woefully misnamed "stimulus bill" was passed in February, 2009, after Obama took office, the big O said we had to pass it because it was the only way to keep the unemployment rate below 8%. Didn't quite work out the way he planned.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here