Guy Clark: Songs & Stories Due 8.16.11.

Here you can discuss any other artist including Sunny Jim, Todd Snider, Jerry Jeff Walker, Steve Goodman, James Taylor, Alan Jackson, Bob Marley, Kenny Chesney and others

Moderator: SMLCHNG

DAB
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: The Wino and I know
Number of Concerts: 4

Re: Guy Clark: Songs & Stories Due 8.16.11.

Post by DAB »

The show last night was the best and most moving show I've ever been to.
And thanks to Terry and her friends for dinner before the show it made it even more special, it was great to meet you.
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

It was absolutely amazing!! The very first person I saw arriving at the Long Center was Lyle Lovett and his lady.

I was 6th row from the stage on right. Guy was in the box just above our area, so most of the performers waved to him and kinda directed their comments up that way.

What a blessing Guy is to Texas Music.

Here is a bit I wrote and added to a quick Setlist done during the show.

Director who put show on with many thanks to Guy and performers and the program at Texas State University Texas Music program. You can actually major in Texas Music. The university will benefit from the sales of This One's For Him. 

Introduction of the great backing band for the evening:
Lloyd maines- guitar/lap steel/mando
John Ross silva -drums
Shawn camp-guitar/mando/fiddle
Glenn Fukunaga-bass
Verlon Thompson-guitar
Jen Gunderman-keyboards, accordion

01 rodney crowell -That old time feeling with comment that he only hoped to ever reach the level of the bar Guy had set for writing and performing a song.  
02 Lyle Lovett- talked a bit about his tribute to Guy on "step inside this house" album- "anyhow I love you" What a beautiful performance. He said he would not have been where he is without Guy, as Guy got him his start in the music business. 
03 Shawn Colvin "all he wants is you" she commented...Guy is sexy. She was beautiful in her sexy little flouncy retro dress and tall boots!! Although not from Texas she got here as soon as she could--this comment was made about many of the performers who MOVED to Texas. 
04 shawn camp - homeless (what a super instrumentalist and singer, leader, and part of the performing band)
05rosie flores-baby took a limo to Memphis. She is a zany electric guitarist with a lilting personality and was perfect for that song, and the only performer I had not seen perform before. 
06 Kevin welch- magdalene. Wonderful singer who lives in Wimberley near RWH. Kevin's daughter performs as one of The Tricias. Used to perform with Kieran Kane in Nashville. Beautiful Millionaire voice. Love his long locks. 
07 Ray Wylie Hubbard - homegrown tomatoes -story about early--daze Townes & Guy asking him to come up and sing ONE in a club in Dallas. He's singing and glances up to see them leave in a taxi. RWH did his song as more of a sing-a-long.
08 J T Van Zandt (has a new baby they call Townes)-let him roll ...his solo version of Guy's song was moving, especially because he is a vivid likeness of his father.  He thanked Guy for all the stability through the years that he did not get from his father  
09 James McMurtry cold dog soup..says he spent a year doing that song and THOUGHT he understood the song and surely understands after driving a big van all over the country with gas at $3.75 a gallon. He was performing at The Continental after the show, which is right across from Austin Motel, where some of the special attendees were staying. (I heard even Guy stayed there.)
10 Joe Ely - wonderful rendition of Dublin Blues  He commented that he was wearing the boots he wore in 1975 when he met Guy. 
11 Verlon Thompson - throwing good love after bad--cannot say enough about how sweet and loving Verlon is when he speaks of Guy and always seems to lift Guy up. 
12 Terri Hendrix -Dark..this is a unique spoken song. She playef harmonica/guitar. She is such a refreshing young lady. 
13radney foster - la freeway did about as fine a job as anyone who ever covered that song, but especially quoted the lines..Love's a gift that's surely hand made. (guy is such a craftsman of hand-made guitars, songs, music)
14 jack ingram - Stuff that works.  This song really worked. Jack mentioned how his friends all went to listen to heavy metal music while he listened to Guy Clark and music of that type so he spent many lonely Friday nights. Sweet performance. 
15terry Allen- old friends/story about drinking too much with Guy before they were doing a gig in Birmingham...they were too drunk to drive to go eat, but they really wanted bbq...so they called a limo service to take them to the best BBQ place in Birmingham ...and the limo drove out of the parking lot and pulled in right next door to them. 
16 the trishas -she ain't goin nowhere. The Tricias had Played in same festival as Guy had in Montana and told him they recorded his song -he said it is his favorite song. They joked about him telling everyone that. 
17 Jerry jeff- my favorite picture of you- new song Guy recently wrote. Nice song and fits Jerry jeff's style lately. Cute line in the song is followed by simply..."click" "gotcha" 

Standin "O" for band
Lloyd maines- guitar/lap steel/mango
John Ross silva -drums
Shawn camp-guitar/mando/fiddle
Glenn Fukunaga-bass
Verlon Thompson-guitar
Jen Gunderman-keyboards, 
Intermission

Guy commented that it was the First time in 30 years to make a Setlist-thanked Terry Allen for his new  cane he used to make it out onstage. (I feel
Like Guy wanted to play the other songs on the tribute CD that hadn't been done. 
Verlon and Shawn Camp accompanied Guy. 
01 The Cspe
02 Texas 1947
03 Guy commented he was from "Monahans damn Texas" before Dedperadoes Waiting For A Train. 
04 Out In The Parking Lot 
Everybdy came out for Singing Happy Birthday. 
05 Boats to Build - alternated verses with Verlon who co-wrote
06. Didn't know the song Guy sang mostly in Spanish, but said the words translated to "What have you done you SOB"-written with Noel McKay who was in the audience near the front. I call it the fatal funnel song, since that is how the incident is referred to here, about the truck driver who abandoned his truck of Mexicans in the sweltering south Texas heat. 
07 Randall knife
08 better days
O9 the guitar
Program closed with a great declaration read to Guy. 

What A night. 
Last edited by conched on November 4, 2011 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

Good to briefly meet you, David. Hope your visit to Texas keeps on being as remarkable as that show.
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

Terry, you are absolutely beautiful. Thank you so much for all you do!!
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Thanks for the report. This photo from last night was posted on the This One's For Him page on Facebook earlier today:

East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Tonight I Just Need My Guitar *and* Southern Cross
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by East Texas Parrothead »

Am home. Tired, but so glad I drove to Austin for this.

I've seen a lot of shows in my almost 60 years, but I've never had an evening of pure magic like last night.

Every performer was on top of his/her game. It was historic.

The moment JT walked onto the stage, my eyes started to leak. He thanked Guy for being a stablizing force in his life. He thanked him for being "all the things my father was not." It was not said with malice or bitterness. It was from the heart.

For me, the highlight was McMurtry doing COLD DOG SOUP. From the reaction of the crowd around me, they agreed. It got one of the loudest ovations of the night, save the ones for Lyle, Joe Ely or Jerry Jeff (who looked and sounded better than ever).

In case anyone has any doubts of Guy's fan base, the guy in front of me was from New York. The guy to the right of him was from Seattle. The girl next to me was from Boulder. Amazing.

DAB: It was lovely to meet you. Sorry I couldn't stay for McMurtry's midnight show at the Continental. It's a good thing I didn't drop my friends off (in WAY North Austin) and try to come back because I was asleep the moment my head hit the pillow. 8) The guy from Seattle was a promoter ... did a lot of Jerry Jeff shows and Gary P., too.

Hope the rest of your trip goes without a hitch ... thanks for meeting us for dinner and for walking us back to the car. You rock.
Gentilly ... 42 years is a long time to wait .... a Northeast Texas woman can hope.
My love is an anchor tied to you, tied with a silver chain.
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

A nice article about Guy's 70th Birthday & Tribute SOLD OUT show.

http://austin.culturemap.com/newsdetail ... star-show/

Guy Clark at 70: Texas songwriting icon feted at sold-out, all-star show
By John T Davis
11.03.11 | 03:06 pm
Backstage at the Long Center on Tuesday night, a baker’s dozen of Grammy winners, hitmakers and Texas music icons were staring intently at a small, blurry monitor above a control board and straining to hear the echoing, almost indecipherable music coming from the stage.

Guy Clark was performing, and none of these musicians—stars themselves—wanted to miss a note.

Clark’s nine-song set was the capstone of a sold-out evening of luminous music, an all-star concert in honor of the Lone Star songwriting maestro who was celebrating his 70th birthday. (Additionally, the show was a fundraiser for the Center for Texas Music History at Texas State University, as well as a release party for the two-disc homage to Clark, This One’s For Him).

Featuring performances by Lyle Lovett, Jerry Jeff Walker, Shawn Colvin, Jack Ingram, Rodney Crowell, Joe Ely, Terri Hendrix, Radney Foster, J.T. Van Zandt II, the Trishas and more, the night had the feel of an A-list guitar pull, as each performance showcased another facet of Clark’s songwriting prowess.

There were plenty of affectionate tributes and shaggy-dog stories mixed in with the music. Before performing the waltz-flavored “Anyhow, I Love You,” Lovett confessed that without Clark’s early advocacy in Nashville, there would be no “Lyle Lovett.”

Ray Wylie Hubbard recounted an impromptu invitation to sit in with Clark and Townes Van Zandt at their show at a club in Dallas one night: “I was in the middle of a song and I look up, and there go Guy and Townes out the door and into a cab.”

Jack Ingram recalled with wry humor that in high school, his friends used to “get stupid and listen to Def Leppard, Led Zeppelin and Van Halen records. But I always wanted to get stupid and listen to Guy Clark records. I spent a lot of lonely Friday nights…”

Most affectingly, John Townes Van Zandt II, looking like a better-nourished reincarnation of his late father, recalled Clark as a sort of surrogate parent: “My dad and Guy were best friends. My dad was quick burning. Guy was stable and dependable. He was a lot of things my father wasn’t.”

Clark’s finely hewn songcraft was filtered through a score of memorable performances. Shawn Colvin’s voice floated like a seductive thread of smoke through “All He Wants Is You.” Jerry Jeff Walker’s effortlessly graceful vocals transformed “My Favorite Picture of You.” The elegant harmonies of the Trishas performing “She Ain’t Going Nowhere” stood in pointed contrast to Radney Foster’s elegiac rendition of “L.A. Freeway” and Rosie Flores’ rockabilly romp on “Baby Took A Limo To Memphis,” while Shawn Camp’s take on the downbeat “Homeless” was balanced by Terry Allen’s warmly affectionate “Old Friends.”

And then there was Clark himself. He muffed a couple of his own lyrics—the songwriters’ prerogative—but with his grave, yet sly demeanor and a swept-back mane of silvery hair that recalls an antebellum Senator, he was an effortlessly compelling figure onstage.

And there are, of course, those songs: “Texas 1947,” “Desperados Waiting For the Train,” “Randall Knife,” “Boats To Build.” It was a master’s class in songwriting. No wonder Clark’s co-stars were listening so raptly in the wings. Backstage, Crowell said aptly, “This feels like a pinnacle for Guy.”

At one point, the audience launched into a spontaneous rendition of “Happy Birthday,” which lured the other performers back onto the stage to join in as Clark looked on—amused, abashed and affectionate, all at once.

“That kind of takes the edge off the set,” he joked. “I almost had a roll going.” But then, he murmured, “Sweet, sweet, sweet.”

It was every bit of that.
hawaiiboy
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 5

Post by hawaiiboy »

It sure seems like it was a great show......thanks for the great
recap Terry........what a great night it must have been.
No act of kindness
no matter how small
is ever wasted
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

I took 514 photos. Used 13 of them on a page in today's edition ... will post some after deadline.

I don't think my feet have touched the ground since 7:15 Wednesday evening.
Gentilly ... 42 years is a long time to wait .... a Northeast Texas woman can hope.
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

From Rodney Crowell's Facebook page:

Come Sunday, I will have known Guy Clark 39 years, a time span during which for the first few years I enrolled him as both my songwriting mentor and go-to curator of the early-seventies Nashville experience. Which roles he grumpily (the former) and gleefully (the latter) accepted. I wanted to learn as much as Guy didn't want to teach. Luckily, his reluctance to tutor my young ass didn't preclude sitting me down and playing over and over again recordings of Dylan Thomas reading his poems. Next came a years-long prescribed meditation on the songs of Mickey Newberry and Townes Van Zandt, both of whom Guy would soon introduce me to. Meanwhile I was privy to one-on-one listenings to just written songs like, "Anyhow I Love You," "The Last Gunfighter Ballad," Desperadoes Waiting For A Train," "Texas Cooking" and "That Old Time Feeling." Guy would tell you we mostly just hung out shooting the s***, which account would be dead on accurate. But more important than how he or I would frame those early days in Nashville, the sweeter truth is that while Guy was, in his own cantankerously generous way, encouraging me to seriously embrace the craft of songwriting, we were becoming life-long friends.

Last night when I took the stage to perform the opening number of the Guy Clark Tribute held in the sold-out Long Center in Austin, Texas, it was anything but "just hanging out." I was deeply moved to see so many fans and friends there in support of this one-of-a-kind artist. I was as humbled to be a part of it as I was dry-mouthed nervous that I'd forget the words to "That Old Time Feeling," a song I've been singing since Guy first played it for me in 1972. Lyle Lovett , Shawn Colvin, Jerry Jeff Walker, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Joe Ely, The Trishas, Terry Hendrix, Radney Foster, Terry Allen, Rosie Flores, Jack Ingram, Verlon Thompson, Sean Camp, Kevin Welch, James McMurtry, JT Van Zandt (looking and sounding very much like his dad) and a wealth of artists who deserve to have their names mentioned were on hand to pay their respects with a reading of one of Guy's songs. You couldn't have cut through the reverence with a band saw.

Guy came on last and gave an especially poignant performance of gems that we well wishers had overlooked, "Out In The Parking Lot," for example. The crowd poured out their adoration, at one point even breaking out in a spontaneous rendition of "Happy Birthday" (His birthday is this Sunday). I experienced the evening as a pinnacle in my friend's integrity defined career, and I was shown again what I've always known: there are a hell of a lot of people out there who love the man almost as much as I do.
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

Very nice. Thanks for sharing, Jonathan. Rodney's words are as beautiful as that photo too.
conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

East Texas Parrothead wrote:I took 514 photos. Used 13 of them on a page in today's edition ... will post some after deadline.

I don't think my feet have touched the ground since 7:15 Wednesday evening.
Terry, looking forward to your writing also and glad you got to do photos. I found the link on line and looking now....all very nice!
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

Here are some photos from the other night. Interview with Guy, Tamara Saviano (producer) and Verlon to follow, along with my thoughts on the show and a review of the CD at the end of the month.

http://www.myssnews.com/mysslife/review ... clark.html
hawaiiboy
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 5

Post by hawaiiboy »

The photo's and captions are great Terry......I am looking forward to reading
your interviews and reviews.
No act of kindness
no matter how small
is ever wasted
DAB
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: The Wino and I know
Number of Concerts: 4

Post by DAB »

Back in Australia after 10 great days in Austin.
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

DAB wrote:Back in Australia after 10 great days in Austin.
So glad I got to meet ya ... thanks for hanging out with us. Happy you're safe home.

Stay in touch.

Your pal,
ETP.
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

I'm about to interview Darrell Scott. Can't wait to talk to him about TEXAS COOKIN' ... and about time on the road with Robert Plant ... his new 2-disc CD, CROOKED ROAD, is really first rate. He's going to be at Poor David's Pub in Dallas on Friday (I think. The site is down.) Such talent.
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

East Texas Parrothead wrote:I'm about to interview Darrell Scott. Can't wait to talk to him about TEXAS COOKIN' ... and about time on the road with Robert Plant ... his new 2-disc CD, CROOKED ROAD, is really first rate. He's going to be at Poor David's Pub in Dallas on Friday (I think. The site is down.) Such talent.
I absolutely love what Darrell brings to the Band of Joy's version of Zep's "Ramble On":

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

For those, like myself, who haven't heard This One's For Him: A Tribute To Guy Clark (which is due next Tuesday), it's streaming at Performing Songwriter.
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing

Tiki Torches wrote:For those, like myself, who haven't heard This One's For Him: A Tribute To Guy Clark (which is due next Tuesday), it's streaming at Performing Songwriter.
Thanks for the link, TT. Can't wait to hear what you think of it. 8)