Airbnb experiences?

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

buffettbride
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Cuba Libre

Airbnb experiences?

Post by buffettbride »

Looking at this as a possibility for all/part of our trip to NYC this summer.

Thoughts or suggestions or experiences to share?

The biggest win here is having access to kitchen where we can prepare and store food rather than eat out every meal--which is very expensive especially with a kiddo and hubby w/ food issues.
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Re: Airbnb experiences?

Post by lime rickie »

Never heard of Airbnb but if you're looking for a place with a kitchenette you might check out Marriott Residence Inn or Staybridge Suite or someplace like those...the rooms are small but you will be out most of the time anyway.

And really, even the pickiest eaters will find something to eat...it's NYC! There are fresh fruit stands all over the place and every kind of restaurant at every budget imaginable. I used to live in Times Square so feel free to PM me if you want info.

Also, through my employer I get discounts to Broadway shows, cultural events, etc. It's great because you can get decent seats and discounts 25-40% off without having to wait in line. The list comes out at the beginning of each month...if you are interested in that let me know when you are going.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

Hockey Mon
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Anything with a guitar in it
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: The one that's free
Location: On the far side of the Washington Capitals rink in VA

Post by Hockey Mon »

lime rickie wrote:And really, even the pickiest eaters will find something to eat...it's NYC! There are fresh fruit stands all over the place and every kind of restaurant at every budget imaginable.
My guess is this isn't about picky eaters, it's more about food allergies, which are a giant pain in the ass. While I have no doubt about the plethora of restaurants in NYC (been there a few times), sometimes it's just easier to go back to the hotel room and make dinner.
Twenty degrees and the hockey games on...
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

Hockey Mon wrote:
lime rickie wrote:And really, even the pickiest eaters will find something to eat...it's NYC! There are fresh fruit stands all over the place and every kind of restaurant at every budget imaginable.
My guess is this isn't about picky eaters, it's more about food allergies, which are a giant pain in the ass. While I have no doubt about the plethora of restaurants in NYC (been there a few times), sometimes it's just easier to go back to the hotel room and make dinner.
Of course...but you can also find vegan, gluten free, whatever...even most regular places are pretty accommodating these days.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

Hockey Mon
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Anything with a guitar in it
Favorite Boat Drink: The one that's free
Location: On the far side of the Washington Capitals rink in VA

Post by Hockey Mon »

lime rickie wrote:
Hockey Mon wrote:
Of course...but you can also find vegan, gluten free, whatever...even most regular places are pretty accommodating these days.
Sadly, I'm all too familiar with that.
Twenty degrees and the hockey games on...
buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

Hockey Mon wrote:
lime rickie wrote:
Hockey Mon wrote:
Sadly, I'm all too familiar with that.
Most places will accommodate you for an extra $2-$5 an entree. :-?
The Lost Manatee
I Love the Now!

Post by The Lost Manatee »

Airbnb has some great points and some really bad ones.

On the plus side, when things work well, it is a wonderful experience. I have a friend who runs a beautiful B&B and gets all of her bookings via AirBnB and her guests are always thrilled with her place.

On the negative side, when things aren't what are advertised, there isn't a lot of support. There are a surprising number of disgruntled travelers who have been charged for what is supposed to be a really nice place and when they arrive, it is a dump or the amenities either don't exist or don't work properly. And there have been more than a few cases where people have booked a room, been charged for it, only to discover that it doesn't exist. AirBnB doesn't own any of the lodgings nor do they have any real recourse for helping you if there is a problem. The only leverage that they have over the service provider is to delist them.

Depending on your threshold for risk, you may or may not want to use them.
Captain Jack's Bar & Grill, Home to the Lost Manatee.

Livin' and dyin' in 3/4 time.
DarkThirty
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Pencilthin moustache

Post by DarkThirty »

I JUST returned from LA and I used AirBnB for the fifth time

Every place I have stayed there had been VERY recent reviews written before we booked from my experiences the reviews have been spot on.....

My wife and I have a 2YO so we look for apartments and small houses and we have always gotten more then we expected not to mention the "host" has always been spot on with directions, recomendations etc

Ive also used very similar services overseas as well- Every time a success
popcornjack
Changing Channels
Favorite Buffett Song: Biloxi
Number of Concerts: 75
Favorite Boat Drink: Dos Equis

Post by popcornjack »

I was just introduced to Airbnb by a couple at the bar at Roof Top two weeks ago. They love it and swear by it. Having no experience other than what this couple said, and traveling to NYC with a kid, I'd be wary. But they made it sound pretty successful, and to some degree self policing (you can't book new tenants if your old tenants post what a nightmare you are.) helps. All I can honestly say is that the one couple who told me about it went from two drinks and an app to three drinks and a full dinner at the bar. We talked a lot about Airbnb and they made it sound both trustworthy and easy to "police".
Take me for what I am, a star newly emerging.
I accept the new found man, and I set the twilight reeling.
buffettbride
Last Man Standing

Post by buffettbride »

I went ahead and booked an apartment via Airbnb for the first half of our NY trip. Am a little nervous walking into the unknown, but the folks we booked from have several properties and have raving reviews at all of them. I'm pretty excited, actually because we'll have a lot more room (well, a lot by NY standards) than our hotel later in the week will have, plus we get the benefit of a kitchen and free Wifi.

I hope it goes well, because I would definitely do this again in the future if it is this easy and pleasant.

Saved $175 a night (including the extra cost of a hotel room and fees) doing it this way.

SO excited!!!