Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Delicious Trappist Ales

Re: Alpine Valley 2014

Post by CaptainP »

Dr.Corona wrote:
CaptainP wrote:
coralreefer wrote:
CaptainP wrote:The Marcus isn't big enough for a Buffett show anymore.
False. Did you check TM the day before the Alpine show last year and see all the available pavilion seats? I would say close to 1,000, maybe more. Not to mention all the lawn that went unsold. Alpine has been trending that way for the last few years with more and more unsold tickets each year. Marcus can put in 30k+ and would be the perfect size for a show. With all that being said, Jimmy will in no way be playing Summerfest or Marcus this year. If there is no Alpine show, look for two Chicago shows, if we're lucky.
That has only happened since the ticket prices got jacked up so high for the Pavilion. At his current prices, he'd struggle to sell out the pavilion at the Marcus, too. Wisconsin is a great many things, but it is not a state with a lot of disposable income at this time.
Frankly, I'm shocked he sells out any pavilions at these prices. Lemmings to the left...lemmings to the right. :o But guilty as charged. :pirate:
Yeah, these days, I typically do the lawn, but once every few shows, I will splurge and spend the cash for the Pavilion.
RumFan
We are the People our Parents Warned us

Post by RumFan »

I really hope it's not June 28.. its the only weekend of the summer I can't go (bro's wedding).. This is set to be my 20th show also! Hoping the rumors about it being in August again are true!
When life hands you limes..make Margaritas!!
ChzHeadParrothead
Favorite Buffett Song: Cowboy In The Jungle
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Watermelon Margarita

Post by ChzHeadParrothead »

I'm hoping for last August as well. The last two years have been last August and the weather has been spectacular!!

"When the weather is good at Alpine, it doesn't get any better!" JB--8.24.13
~~Visions of good times, that brought so much pleasure, makes me want to go back again!~~Image

Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Nighthawk wrote:
But a Miller Park show could always be done....They got that retractable roof a ma-jig, plenty of parking......
sonofasonfckcancer wrote:This may be the first time I ever agree w/ nighthawk, but a Miller Park show would be great. Prime spot for some good tailgating for sure. I just don't see him ever doing Summerfest though.
ChzHeadParrothead wrote:Jimmy had been playing at least one stadium show for the past few years.
I saw Paul McCartney last year at Miller Park. It was a great venue for a concert.
Lots opened plenty early, and Milwaukee and Miller Park is known for its tailgating.
The Brewers are out of town on both August 16th and August 30th.
I would (maybe) go back to Alpine this year, depending on the date (and what *MY* life is like by then), and I would definitely be interested in a Miller Park show!
-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."
PackerPhan
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: A Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Blue Moon Beer

Post by PackerPhan »

Last year he went from NY to Alpine in late August, and the NY dates were just released for late August. So hopefully it is a pattern.
zedagyrl
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: A Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 52
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark

Post by zedagyrl »

I booked the Super 8 Devalan for 8/23 and the prices for that weekend are higher than I thought they should be.... Coincident?
I am gonna live my life like a song.....
RumFan

Post by RumFan »

I sent a note to Alpine via Facebook asking about the rumors that there would be no shows this summer up there. They actually responded today, saying they are already working on the shows for this summer.. and that the rumors were untrue. So I guess that should lay those rumors to rest..
parrotthd4evr
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, Pina Colada

Post by parrotthd4evr »

I'm hoping for the pattern as well. That will be my 40th bday weekend! What better way to sail into my 40's!
moeron
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: Boat Drinks.
Number of Concerts: 26
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita's with good Tequila

Post by moeron »

MILLER PARK? Really? I'd love to see Jimmy there. Miller High Life on tap there. Count me in IF he plays there.
I'd rather die while I'm Living, Than live while I'm dead!
ImageImage
Nighthawk
I gotta go where it's warm
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 29
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum with a splash of coke

Post by Nighthawk »

moeron wrote:MILLER PARK? Really? I'd love to see Jimmy there. Miller High Life on tap there. Count me in IF he plays there.

Even though High Life is the Champagne of Beers..... How in the heck can you turn down New Glarus beers when available to you.
Did you hear the one about me being a punk?
Did you hear the one about me being a drunk?
Did you hear the one about me losing my nerve?
Or how I'm just another f**** sheep in the herd?
Did you hear the one about me giving a s***?
Cause if I ever did I don't remember it.
southofdisorder07
Favorite Buffett Song: SOASOAS
Favorite Boat Drink: Pirates Blood

Post by southofdisorder07 »

Cabo San Lucas odds are on August.

Hope you all are enjoying your winter:-)
RumFan

Post by RumFan »

southofdisorder07 - You always give me hope!!
V-town Fin Truck
Number of Concerts: 24
Favorite Boat Drink: Miller High Life!

Post by V-town Fin Truck »

Nighthawk wrote:
moeron wrote:MILLER PARK? Really? I'd love to see Jimmy there. Miller High Life on tap there. Count me in IF he plays there.

Even though High Life is the Champagne of Beers..... How in the heck can you turn down New Glarus beers when available to you.
Because it's not just about the beer. It's LIVING THE HIGH LIFE!!
RumFan

Post by RumFan »

Looks like a June 28 date for Chicago at Tinley.. So August for Alpine is right on.. maybe Aug 23?
parrothappy
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration, Biloxi, Door Number 3, City of New Orleans
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita, of course

Post by parrothappy »

rockdawggie wrote:
Irish Parrot wrote:Jimmy will be playing Alpine Valley in late August, don't have the exact date yet.
With no DMB at Alpine this year, I'm going to be bummed if Jimmy doesn't make it there either. There's been rumors for years of Alpine closing down. It's not a secret shows at Alpine each summer have dwindled significantly - mostly due to the local laws and curfews, etc. But Live Nation supposedly hasn't helped when they started with Alpine either. Alpine Valley is my favorite outdoor summer concert venue. It really is one of the most beautiful amphitheaters in the U.S. Fingers crossed that Irish Parrot is correct in this prediction.
I have to agree 100% with Rockdawggie. This venue was built in a natural valley, not some bulldozed hill in the middle of a cornfield (although the hill/lawn was enlarged a number of years ago). The huge oak trees and the rolling hills and valleys of southern Wisconsin form a beautiful setting for an evening of music. And the sound from the triple section, concave wooden roof over the stage and the pavilion is very good. I saw my first show at Alpine (Sha Na Na and some other act I don't remember at this time...Chuck Berry was a no-show) on August 11, 1978. I have seen many more since falling in love with the venue. I certainly hope Alpine doesn't go the way of the late, lamented Poplar Creek in the northwest Chicago suburbs. Urban sprawl in Walworth County unfortunately has infringed on the theater which was most surrounded by agricultural land when it was built. NIMBYs seem to always win so the closing of Alpine could be a reality one of these years. :cry:
"The 4th of July, alright. Happy Birthday America. How much beer do you think was drunk in America today......two six-packs...three?"

Jimmy on July 4th, 1980 in Minneapolis
parrothappy
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration, Biloxi, Door Number 3, City of New Orleans
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita, of course

Post by parrothappy »

CaptainP wrote:
coralreefer wrote:
False. Did you check TM the day before the Alpine show last year and see all the available pavilion seats? I would say close to 1,000, maybe more. Not to mention all the lawn that went unsold. Alpine has been trending that way for the last few years with more and more unsold tickets each year. Marcus can put in 30k+ and would be the perfect size for a show. With all that being said, Jimmy will in no way be playing Summerfest or Marcus this year. If there is no Alpine show, look for two Chicago shows, if we're lucky.
That has only happened since the ticket prices got jacked up so high for the Pavilion. At his current prices, he'd struggle to sell out the pavilion at the Marcus, too. Wisconsin is a great many things, but it is not a state with a lot of disposable income at this time.
When the pavilion ticket prices started to exceed $100.00 at many venues, the trend seemed to be for some of those tickets to remain available until the day of the show. Two years ago at Tinley Park there were hundreds of unsold seats in the pavilion on the day of the show. Chicago hasn't had two Jimmy dates for several years now. Alpine had a good number of pavilion tickets available on show day last year as mentioned above. I don't believe Jimmy is any less popular among his fan base but the economy still sucks for many people. Some Buffett fans are either attending fewer shows or are purchasing lawn tickets due to their personal financial circumstances. While the highest priced seats for many musical artists today generally are priced between $100.00 and $150.00 per ticket (in some case several hundred dollars), in Jimmy's case this may be a well orchestrated philosophy of retaining his concert revenue and maintaining his ability to stay on the road as he gets older. Why play two nights when you can play one night for twice the price? Sure, the concession "take" is substantially less but what percentage does he get from the beverage and food sales? Think of how much less wear and tear there is on his vocal chords by playing fewer shows. The higher priced tickets have seemed to have thinned out the "curious" spectators who only came to hear Margaritaville and get totally "s"-faced. Personally, I would rather spend my money wisely, pay for pavilion seats for one show and not have the hassle of the wannabes who don't give a damn about savoring a complete show. If you listen to a full season of shows on Radio Margaritaville or check the setlists, the songs don't change that much so the incentive to see multiple shows for the sake of the music is pretty much diminished.

Flashback: I just pulled out a ticket stub from Jimmy at Poplar Creek in Hoffman Estates in the northwest Chicago suburbs from July 26, 1982 ----- The ticket was priced at $11.50 with a $1.00 surcharge for handling through "Ticketron". And Bonnie Raitt opened for Jimmy that night!
"The 4th of July, alright. Happy Birthday America. How much beer do you think was drunk in America today......two six-packs...three?"

Jimmy on July 4th, 1980 in Minneapolis
RumFan

Post by RumFan »

Let's just hope we don't have to wait until May again to get a confirmed date..
Mplsfins
If we weren't all crazy ...
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Mplsfins »

OK my sources were wrong on June 28th.
Last edited by Mplsfins on February 22, 2014 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mplsfins
If we weren't all crazy ...
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Mplsfins »

August 23rd would be a perfect date. My birthday is on the 21st and would be heading down to the campground that day. 5 years ago was just perfect on my 40th birthday hearing Jimmy sing Pirate Looks at 40. Although it was 46 degrees and sleeting that day. Hurry up and release the date so I can start planning ahead.
wiscoleeds
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: school boy heart

Post by wiscoleeds »

I get that you can't announce all the dates at once...but given the swirling rumors about Alpine Valley as a general concert venue and the concerns that it's shut up shop, how difficult would it be for Jimmy or his p.r. folks to at least confirm that they are working with LiveNation/Alpine Valley for a date?
However, if they are aware that the streak is over then just f'ing tell us!?
We've surely earned this for all the years of faithfully trekking our to East Troy....
Cheers
Wiscoleeds