SYCDW - Songs You Could Do Without

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Of these concert staples, which song would you miss the least?

A Pirate Looks At Forty
1%
Brown Eyed Girl
22%
Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes
1%
Cheeseburger in Paradise
19%
Come Monday
2%
Fins
1%
It's Five O'Clock Somewhere
29%
One Particular Harbour
No votes
Son of a Son of a Sailor
1%
Southern Cross
13%
Volcano
12%

Total votes: 178

balcony girls
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: SYCDW - Songs You Could Do Without

Post by balcony girls »

Tiki Torches wrote:I'm not sure if it's what you're thinking of but I'm pretty sure he also did a reggae rearrangement of "In the Shelter" at one point.
. . no . . . altho I truly LOVE that version . . . my brain hooks that to being in New Orleans for some reason . .

. . :D
. . " and I finally disappear . . . . BUT NOT YET ! ! "
Uncle John
I have found me a home
Number of Concerts: 69
Favorite Boat Drink: Dirty Banana

Post by Uncle John »

Had to go with 5:00, Brown Eyed Girl, and Southern Cross. I don't normally listen to Fins other than the live concert broadcasts, but doing it in person is different than listening to it.
Some people never find it
Some... only pretend, but me:
I just want to live happily ever after every now and then
Congobill
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Last Mango in Paris
Number of Concerts: 60
Favorite Boat Drink: Craft Beer

Post by Congobill »

Frankly I would not miss any of them. I've stated on this board many times that I wish Jimmy would do more rarities and dig deeper into his catalog. I've been going to Buffett shows since the late 1980s and I am definitely tired of seeing so many of the same songs played EVERY year. I can't imagine it would take that much effort to eject a few of the staples and play a few more deeper cuts. Playing the same stuff every year means they're pretty much on auto-pilot, which to me is just lazy. Sorry, hate to say it, but there is some truth to that. The shows they put on take about as little effort as is required for a touring band.

I think Jimmy is operating from the perspective that most fans will be disappointed if he doesn't play all the staples, but frankly I think he needs to have more faith in his fans than that. It would make seeing a show where he plays OPH, when he only plays it a few times per tour, that much more special if you catch a show where he plays it.

I love Jimmy and will continue to go to shows when I can because one of these days Jimmy will hang up the guitar and we'll have no more Buffett concerts, which will be a sad day indeed. So I enjoy it while we can, but I'd enjoy it more if he'd play more tunes that we don't hear at every concert. :-)

OH, and the most thrilling moments I've seen in recent tours? When he played "Coast of Marseille" as an encore at a show at Shoreline in Mountain View, CA (that track ended up on the "Encores" album, btw) and when he was playing a rocking version of "Woman Going Crazy on Caroline Street" a few years back.
Congobill
Southeast of disorder

Post by Congobill »

I should point out that I am fine with Fins, Pirate, Changes, 5 O'Clock, and, of course, Margaritaville at every show. He just needs to pare down the list of staples a bit so the shows aren't so damned predictable. :-)
melon
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: Breathe in breathe out
Number of Concerts: 3
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita

Post by melon »

I agree with the idea of these being over played, but i also have to think that some younger and newer concert goers would be sorely disappointed if they were not included especially since imo most new fans first album exposure is most likely the dreaded yellow album, years back i know it was mine, but i had the desire to explore his more obscure albums and would love to hear less of the standards as most of us here would. Just my two cents. fwiw
I'm too sexy for my hair
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Congobill wrote:Frankly I would not miss any of them. I've stated on this board many times that I wish Jimmy would do more rarities and dig deeper into his catalog. I've been going to Buffett shows since the late 1980s and I am definitely tired of seeing so many of the same songs played EVERY year. I can't imagine it would take that much effort to eject a few of the staples and play a few more deeper cuts. Playing the same stuff every year means they're pretty much on auto-pilot, which to me is just lazy. Sorry, hate to say it, but there is some truth to that. The shows they put on take about as little effort as is required for a touring band.

I think Jimmy is operating from the perspective that most fans will be disappointed if he doesn't play all the staples, but frankly I think he needs to have more faith in his fans than that. It would make seeing a show where he plays OPH, when he only plays it a few times per tour, that much more special if you catch a show where he plays it.
It's very refreshing to see someone else voice their opinion on this matter. I know I have posted very similar thoughts in the past only to be chastised for being a "heretic" or not really being a fan, both of which are bullsh*t.
capnbobby
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season
Number of Concerts: 28
Favorite Boat Drink: Bacardi 8 anos

Post by capnbobby »

My 3 would be Brown Eyed Girl, Southern Cross, and 5 O'Clock. I would not remove Fins from the set list because there is something really fun about 20,000 people doing fins to the left, fins to the right.

Fins Up!
Cap'n Bobby
FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Crown Royal & Ginger Ale

Post by FunkHouse9 »

Tiki Torches wrote:
Congobill wrote:Frankly I would not miss any of them. I've stated on this board many times that I wish Jimmy would do more rarities and dig deeper into his catalog. I've been going to Buffett shows since the late 1980s and I am definitely tired of seeing so many of the same songs played EVERY year. I can't imagine it would take that much effort to eject a few of the staples and play a few more deeper cuts. Playing the same stuff every year means they're pretty much on auto-pilot, which to me is just lazy. Sorry, hate to say it, but there is some truth to that. The shows they put on take about as little effort as is required for a touring band.

It's very refreshing to see someone else voice their opinion on this matter. I know I have posted very similar thoughts in the past only to be chastised for being a "heretic" or not really being a fan, both of which are bullsh*t.
I wouldn't miss any of them if they were all left out either. BUT, you have to remember that every Buffett virgin had a first show. If your first show had none of the "crowd favorites," then it wouldn't have been the crazy show you've heard all about. Your first show with no CILCIA, Cheeseburger, Fins or Margaritaville? That would be a let down. Your 8th show without them? Not so much. But to drop maybe one of them? Not such a sin.
Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.
FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze

Post by FunkHouse9 »

I'm not so sure he'll ever drop 5 O'Clock though, which makes it that much worse that it's the one with the most votes right now. Much like he built an empire on Margaritaville, there is a lot of money in "It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere" merchandise right now. Pushing that song into the ground equates to money in the bank for a lot of people. That's another multi-million-dollar catchphrase right there.
Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

FunkHouse9 wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:

I wouldn't miss any of them if they were all left out either. BUT, you have to remember that every Buffett virgin had a first show. If your first show had none of the "crowd favorites," then it wouldn't have been the crazy show you've heard all about. Your first show with no CILCIA, Cheeseburger, Fins or Margaritaville? That would be a let down. Your 8th show without them? Not so much. But to drop maybe one of them? Not such a sin.
Point taken and understood.

Just for sh*ts n' grins, this is the setlist from my first show, at least as remembered by someone who posted it to Setlist.fm. Keep in mind, this was in 1979, well before the term "Parrothead" had been coined and the stage show (as it were) consisted of Buffett and the Coral Reefers simply performing their music without the need of any props or choreography. "Fins" was also new as Volcano hadn't been released yet.
Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefer Band
Jubilee
Kenan Stadium
Chapel Hill, NC
April 21, 1979

Son of a Son of a Sailor
Miss You So Badly
Wonder Why We Ever Go Home
Landfall
Boat Drinks
Cheeseburger in Paradise
Come Monday
Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes
Banana Republics
God's Own Drunk
Carolina in My Mind
Coast of Marseilles
Why Don't We Get Drunk (and Screw)
Big Rig
A Pirate Looks at Forty
Margaritaville
Tampico Trauma

ENCORE
Fins

ENCORE
Dixie Diner
SeattleParrotHead
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Island, 12v Man
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Mai Tais @ Dukes

Post by SeattleParrotHead »

Only 19 songs and more than a quarter of them covers.... and he even ended the concert with a cover!

Kenan Stadium
Chapel Hill, NC
April 21, 1979

Son of a Son of a Sailor
Miss You So Badly
Landfall
Boat Drinks
Cheeseburger in Paradise
Come Monday
Banana Republics by Steve Goodman
God's Own Drunk by Lord Buckley
Carolina in My Mind by James Taylor
Coast of Marseilles by Keith Sykes
Big Rig
A Pirate Looks at Forty
Margaritaville
Tampico Trauma
ENCORE
Fins
ENCORE
Dixie Diner by Larry Raspberry
ImageImage

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but sometimes they have really good ideas…..
SPH
FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze

Post by FunkHouse9 »

Tiki Torches wrote:Just for sh*ts n' grins, this is the setlist from my first show, at least as remembered by someone who posted it to Setlist.fm. Keep in mind, this was in 1979, well before the term "Parrothead" had been coined and the stage show (as it were) consisted of Buffett and the Coral Reefers simply performing their music without the need of any props or choreography. "Fins" was also new as Volcano hadn't been released yet.
Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefer Band
Jubilee
Kenan Stadium
Chapel Hill, NC
April 21, 1979

Son of a Son of a Sailor
Miss You So Badly
Landfall
Boat Drinks
Cheeseburger in Paradise
Come Monday
Banana Republics
God's Own Drunk
Carolina in My Mind
Coast of Marseilles
Big Rig
A Pirate Looks at Forty
Margaritaville
Tampico Trauma

ENCORE
Fins

ENCORE
Dixie Diner
Exactly half of that set is an exciting prospect and the other half I've heard live enough that I'd be fine without them and that concert was the year I was born! I guess not much has changed since then.
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

SeattleParrotHead wrote:Only 19 songs and more than a quarter of them covers.... and he even ended the concert with a cover!
I neglected to mention that it was a festival (Jubilee) that also included opening sets from Nantucket and the Spinners (yes, really) which would explain why Buffett's set was relatively short. Good point on the covers, though I have to admit I didn't learn until years later that "Dixie Diner" wasn't a Buffett original. Also, "Big Rig" is technically a cover as it was written by Fingers. What I surmised from this setlist (if it is indeed accurate) is how he played it pretty safe other than debuting a brand new song, that can mostly likely be chalked up to it being a festival set where most artists are going to stay close to their best known material.
Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know »

I checked Cheeseburger In Paradise, Five Oclock Somewhere, and Fins. I could really do without those.
Brown Eyed Girl, I can take it or leave it. If he plays it, fine, if not, that's fine too.

I cannot imagine anybody wishing he'd not do APLA 40 or O.P.H.
Withouth BOTH of those, it would not be a Jimmy Buffett concert.
Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Wino you know wrote:I checked Cheeseburger In Paradise, Five Oclock Somewhere, and Fins. I could really do without those.
Brown Eyed Girl, I can take it or leave it. If he plays it, fine, if not, that's fine too.

I cannot imagine anybody wishing he'd not do APLA 40 or O.P.H.
Without BOTH of those, it would not be a Jimmy Buffett concert.
I'm the guy who voted against APLA40, and I did so because Jimmy is how old now?  67, right?  I feel the song may have been appropriate and relevant 25 years ago, but now it is as dated as the 'Ayatollah' or 'Three Mile Island' references in "Volcano".
And given the choice of "APLA40" or "SOASOAS", I'll opt for the second one every time.
-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."
sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

To me "A Pirate Looks at Forty" is more of a look back at 40.
"Forty" is only mentioned once in the song when he says "I'm an over 40 victim of fate".
So once you hit 40, I figure it's relevant, whether 42 like me, 67 like Jimmy or 41 like Garry :wink:

But what do I know? I voted down "Come Monday" :lol:
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Nothing against "Son of A Son of A Sailor" but when pitting it against "A Pirate Looks At 40" I'll choose the latter every time as it's quintessential Buffett. He sang the song well before he was 40 as well so that aspect of it doesn't really render the song irrelevant. It has a timeless quality that doesn't hinge on the 40 part.
sistergoldenhair
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: salty piece of land
Number of Concerts: 14
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita on rocks lots of salt

Post by sistergoldenhair »

I interpret APLAF at a metaphorical look at aging in general. I could relate when I WAS forty (sigh ... my triceps were so much nicer then...), but I still relate to it at 56. And so it goes. JMHO.
I'm just tryin to get by, being quiet and shy, in a world full of pushin and shove
Congobill
Southeast of disorder

Post by Congobill »

Tiki Torches wrote:

I used to catch a lot of flack here for saying these sorts of things but these days it seems the sentiment is more widely accepted.
Congobill
Southeast of disorder

Post by Congobill »

FunkHouse9 wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:

My stance on the matter is he should still play a few staples every show (Margaritaville, Fins, Pirate to name a few) but mix up the rest with deeper cuts so some shows you don't get Cheeseburger or Brown-Eyed Girl, or One Particular Harbor, or whatever. Sure, maybe you have a few disappointed fans who came just to hear Cheeseburger, but if not hearing a particular song is going to ruin someone's entire evening then maybe they aren't really a fan.