Sad Day In Country Music History

Here you can discuss any other artist including Sunny Jim, Todd Snider, Jerry Jeff Walker, Steve Goodman, James Taylor, Alan Jackson, Bob Marley, Kenny Chesney and others

Moderator: SMLCHNG

A1A-BJB
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Too many to pick
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: All kinds of rum

Re: Sad Day In Country Music History

Post by A1A-BJB »

Bwahahahahahaa!!!! "Boogie Boogie Wham Bam" indeed!! Merle Haggard nailed it!

Found his interview in a great website called Saving Country Music dot-com:
http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/

And I first learned of this website after reading their editorial from last year about the demise of the Dixie Chicks by the Nashville mainstream 10 years before.
http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/destr ... ears-after
When you see bands today like Mumford & Sons, The Lumineers, and The Avett Brothers, you see that the stripped-down, acoustic approach to music is still relevant, if not the most relevant approach today in popular music. But it’s had to move outside of the country music fold to find a present-day outlet.
As far as I'm concerned, the Dixie Chicks had already outgrown Nashville by then, anyway. They didn't need and still don't need Music Row's paternalistic crap.

And let's face it, fellow PHs: Great country music worth listening to has almost always been found OUTSIDE the Nashville mainstream.
". . .Can't get no gyro, smokin' in a bar in Cairo. . ."
SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Post by SMLCHNG »

We all enjoy different genre's of music, country and others. You're not wrong, and I'm not wrong.
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

A1A-BJB wrote:Great country music worth listening to has almost always been found OUTSIDE the Nashville mainstream.
Agreed though there have been exceptions such as the Outlaw movement in the 70's and what Steve Earle has referred to as The Great Roots Rock Credibility Scare of the Late 1980's that included (but was by no means limited to) artists such as Lone Justice, Southern Pacific, the Long Ryders, Rank n' File, The Wagoneers, Jason & the Scorchers, etc. As far as good music being found outside the mainstream, that's not just true of country but of all genres of music. Unfortunately, it's even more true today than it's ever been thanks to largely to the death grip Clear Channel put on commercial radio.
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

SMLCHNG wrote:We all enjoy different genre's of music, country and others. You're not wrong, and I'm not wrong.
I don't know that anyone's accusing anyone of being wrong but the outcry over the current state of country music in recent years has reached fever pitch for a reason. It all comes down to personal preference for me. Thankfully, a lot of the artists I like are receiving exposure via community, satellite and internet radio as well as streaming services such as Spotify and Pandora though they're definitely deserving of airplay on commercial country radio. If Hank Williams, Sr. was a new artist today, chances are, he wouldn't get on the radio because he'd be considered "too country". Not surprising considering so much of what's popular on country radio in 2014 bares more of a resemblance to pop music and/or bad Southern Rock from the 70's. That's not saying someone is "wrong", it's simply stating the facts about just how deep in the sh*tter commercial country radio is these days. Perhaps the popularity of artists such as Kacey Musgraves and Ashley Monroe are a sign that a swing back to real country music is in motion. One can only hope.
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

A couple fine examples of what's the matter with commercial country music radio these days, the fact that neither of these folks are receiving airplay. One is a veteran of the business, the other, a relative upstart. Both deserving of the recognition. Sad thing is, they're just the tip of the iceberg. While commercial country radio continues it's downward spiral into the abyss, at least artists of this stature are being recognized for their efforts elsewhere.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Even this 15 year old gets it.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »