This one really for you?????

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Dr.Corona
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Re: This one really for you?????

Post by Dr.Corona »

msu#1 wrote:
Dr.Corona wrote:
msu#1 wrote:I'd love for gypsies to open the show. That means ibcould have another beer in the parking lot and go to the bathroom while that awful song plays.
First Buffett show I ever went to was at the Palace in Auburn Hills. Absolutely stunned he didn't play Gypsies there. JB is usually all over that kind of sh*t. It was at the tail end of a tour in November with temps in the 30's so maybe he was semi burned out & ready to pack it in.
That was my second buffett show ! Looking back what a weird show. Tailgating in shorts in michigan winter weather...the mountain of empties at the palace front door...I was a huge jimmy fan then but not a big "parrothead" so I think that was the time that captain tony was there? I had no idea who he was! Lol I learned about him later that spring when we went on spring break to key west. I'm having a hard time trying to remember if it was the 2001 show or an early one that was the cold weather and had captain tony. I know we went to the November one in 2001 because we were afraid the show would be canceled given a plane crashed in new York days before the show and everyone was on edge still from the 911 attack two months earlier
You are correct. It was the 2001 Beach Odyssey tour November 12th. He only had a couple more shows left on the tour until the Feb. shows in Florida. Tony was introduced & Buffett made a deal about it being Monday Night Football Night. According to historical data it was about 41 degrees for late afternoon tailgating. I didn't get there until after work so it was about 5ish. I too was in shorts & tropical shirt braving it as best I could. Good times! 8) :pirate:
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Post by FinsUp6835 »

I wonder why the trending songs haven't changed at all since the contest started? Some of the songs should be shifting...
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
capnbobby
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season
Number of Concerts: 28
Favorite Boat Drink: Bacardi 8 anos

Post by capnbobby »

I think that most people who are going to vote have already voted, so I don't think that the set list will change much going forward.

Cap'n Bobby
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle

Post by FinsUp6835 »

You can now see all of the songs in their standings. Good to see 70% of my songs in the bottom 50 lol. Man, the masses just don't understand JB and what his music is all about. Yeah the big 10 are hits for a reason but my god he has so many awesome, well written songs. He really deserves better and if I win the grand prize and meet Jimmy I'm gonna tell him that he deserves better because he is arguably one of the best American song writers to touch the stage!
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
msu#1
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by msu#1 »

EVery single song is trending up now! lol

What a cluster this contest is. The BIG EIGHT are the top 10.

I went back in and edited out the few "standards" i had and change them to the songs that only the hardcore would know. I did leave in Come monday just for personal reason just in case JImmy decides to play the songs from just one set list and not the top 36.
Lake Erie Pirate scientist
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!

Post by FinsUp6835 »

Rancho Deluxe is last...

Sucha good song. Though, only 5% of phans probably know it.
rmissbrook
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: The one I just heard
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Spiced Rum & Orange Juice

Post by rmissbrook »

Like so many of you, I am really disappointed that so many songs that are part of his regular concerts have been selected. This was a chance to get to hear him do songs that he rarely if ever does live. Perhaps the best way to avoid that was to only put songs on the list that he has never done live or least has not done live in the past 10 - 15 years. Oh well. At least there won't be any covers!

Chicago - June 28, 2014 (bringing 2 Buffett virgins!)

Hugs, Kay

Life is just a water ballet...

COPhan
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: When the Coast is Clear
Number of Concerts: 16

Post by COPhan »

Focused on the KEY WEST part of this for my playlist...

Bought our plane tickets and booked our B & B 2 hours after this announcement was made...

Cashed in on our vacation time the next day...

Keeping fingers crossed, but have a HUGE plan B down in KW should we not be part of the 300 lucky people!

I don't care what songs are chosen...I love them all!

I don't care who labels themselves a Parrothead...I love them all! (Been a PROUD JB fan ever since I first heard "A Mile High In Denver" as a little girl... Yeah. I didn't really get it then!)
I just want to live Happily Ever After Every Now and Then!!!

Good Luck to you all.... And if you get chosen and don't want your tickets...PLEASE leave them on the table for us DIEHARDS!!! :)
ParrotHead67
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Who's The Blonde Stranger
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Haven't had a bad one yet
Location: Woke up dry beneath the African sky, just me and my Swiss Army Knife

Post by ParrotHead67 »

rmissbrook wrote:Like so many of you, I am really disappointed that so many songs that are part of his regular concerts have been selected. This was a chance to get to hear him do songs that he rarely if ever does live. Perhaps the best way to avoid that was to only put songs on the list that he has never done live or least has not done live in the past 10 - 15 years. Oh well. At least there won't be any covers!
But then it would have been a "This One's For Buffettnews" instead of a "This One's For You" list. It's hard for a lot of people to comprehend this but Buffettnews is a VERY small portion of Jimmy's fans. We asked for a setlist fans get to decide, then complain about it when he does it. We asked him to play in a small venue, then complain about it when he does it. We complain about ticket prices being too high so he plays for free and nobody says way to go Jimmy. I'm sure Jimmy could go right to people's houses and people would complain about the time of the day he came over. Seriously, this is a great thing he is doing and why not appreciate this and what he does as he won't be around forever. This is not just for fans who only like his old stuff, it's for all his fans to choose from. Good for him. The newer generation may not know his older stuff but they should have equal say. Hey I voted for Ringling Ringling and it's in 96th place. I can't even win a free trip because Canadians aren't allowed to win and I'm still one of the few not complaining. This great thing Jimmy is doing, maybe we should try appreciating it. He doesn't owe anyone on here a single thing. He entertained you for the money you spent on his concerts. Pretty sure nobody went to his concerts just so he could end up a multi-millionaire. No, we went because we love being entertained by him.
"I gotta go where it's warm!"
msu#1
Behind Door #3

Post by msu#1 »

That post was awfully long and sure sounded like you were complaining about people complaining. Then you say parrot heads shouldn't judge other parrot heads on their fantom but that sure seems like you were doing just that..... And added in the shot at us being privileged Americans and your a poor Canadian who can't go so that makes you some how a better fan for still voting
ParrotHead67
I have found me a home

Post by ParrotHead67 »

msu#1 wrote:That post was awfully long and sure sounded like you were complaining about people complaining. Then you say parrot heads shouldn't judge other parrot heads on their fantom but that sure seems like you were doing just that..... And added in the shot at us being privileged Americans and your a poor Canadian who can't go so that makes you some how a better fan for still voting
Sorry, did I offend you with my post??? When you whine as much as you do, I figured you would have had tougher skin. Are you seriously trying to make this a Canadian-American thing??? That's funny! Yes I did whine about some of the posters on here and I have no idea where they live. Maybe they're all "poor Canadians" like me. 95 percent are wonderful and I enjoy reading their posts. That being said, everyone has a right to their opinion including you and me. But after reading your post, you missed my entire point so I won't waste anymore time with it.
COPhan
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by COPhan »

I have a "sneaky suspicion" that the Grand Prize winner will be the winning set list... Not the majority, but the one that feels right to Jimmy to play in Key West. He wrote an AWFUL LOT of his early music in/about KW, so he really wants to bring it home to his roots. I think people are wise to think in terms of Key West in their set list...hint...hint...
Westway001
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: When The Coast Is Clear
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: RUM!

Post by Westway001 »

COPhan wrote:I have a "sneaky suspicion" that the Grand Prize winner will be the winning set list... Not the majority, but the one that feels right to Jimmy to play in Key West. He wrote an AWFUL LOT of his early music in/about KW, so he really wants to bring it home to his roots. I think people are wise to think in terms of Key West in their set list...hint...hint...
You may or may not be right. Most interesting, however, is that your (COPhan's) favorite song is When The Coast Is Clear which is also my favorite. How come it doesn't even make the top 100 on the Key West vote?
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!

Post by FinsUp6835 »

If you read the rules and regs for the contest - it states that some company will be picking the grand prize winner and the other winners. It is completely random. Winners will have three days to accept or decline.

I am hoping that Jimmy pulls some of the set lists for this summers tour
COPhan
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by COPhan »

Yeah... I don't understand "When the Coast is Clear" not even making the top 100. Strange...

With regard to the random drawing by a third party company.... I have further "sneaky suspicions" that the set list "27" will be only a part of the show and the there will be additional songs played.... Key West songs. Just sayin'...
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

Kirsten said on RM today that the top vote getters will be the Set List.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

ParrotHead67
I have found me a home

Post by ParrotHead67 »

lime rickie wrote:Kirsten said on RM today that the top vote getters will be the Set List.

That makes sense otherwise there wouldn't really be a point in tallying all the votes to begin with. Hopefully he does throw in a few other songs not on the list to make it an even 30. :)
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

ParrotHead67 wrote:
lime rickie wrote:Kirsten said on RM today that the top vote getters will be the Set List.
That makes sense otherwise there wouldn't really be a point in tallying all the votes to begin with. Hopefully he does throw in a few other songs not on the list to make it an even 30. :)
The two door number three write ins could be special.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!

Post by FinsUp6835 »

Though a very good song. Especially when Chesney plays it live- how is "back where I come from" close to the top 30? Beating out songs like cowboy in the jungle, African friend, island - just to name a few.

Oh, and this is not "complaining." I think this concert is awesome. I think it's cool that Jimmy is playing with this concept and giving a free concert. I just think it's sad that the majority of people who think they are "phans" just don't really "get" it. I mean if you look at the setlist it is pretty legit ( including the top 10). I guess buffettnews people and deep track phans and are just upset with the masses because this is a rare chance for Jimmy to break into songs like Buttermilk Grove, livingstons gone to Texas, African friend, ballad of spider john , the last line, the good fight and many many more. Either way I'm still pumped for the show and hope to win a pair of tix.
msu#1
Behind Door #3

Post by msu#1 »

I think back where I come from is in the list for two reasons.

It honors Mac who wrote it and it's a place holder for Kenny to come out.

Kenny has twice bailed on special shows with Jimmy due to schedule and I believe it's already set up for him to show up. Kenny. Had a surprise show listed for March 22 on his website and took it down just days before this contest was announced. I just how work let's me take it off of I win. If not I'll be quitting