This one really for you?????

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Re: This one really for you?????

Post by FinsUp6835 »

Chesney?

Wishful thinking...

Could happen
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

Seriously, Kenny f'n Chesney? The fact that anyone thinks that's even remotely close to being a good idea makes me weep for humanity. Why don't we vote for Glory Days and Trippin' f'n Billies while we're at it.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
AintMarvinGardens
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Cowboy in the Jungle
Number of Concerts: 3
Favorite Boat Drink: Listerine

Post by AintMarvinGardens »

Maybe this has already been brought up, but what happens if you win and don't show up at the show after you say you will? If only the winner can pick up the tickets day of, on-site, I would say there is a good chance many folks just won't be able to swing it. I would say if you are going to be in Key West that week anyway, definitely do some research about a standby list. They have to have some sort of plan in place, but won't make it public too early to avoid even bigger crowds.

Also, some songs that have been requested probably haven't been played by JB in quite a while. A bootleg of this show would be awesome or do we see this being recorded and released in the future?
The report of my death was an exaggeration. -Mark Twain, 1897

Everything you read on the internet is true. -Abraham Lincoln, 1866
Planosmith1
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: Death Of An Unpopular Poet
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita

Post by Planosmith1 »

AintMarvinGardens wrote:Maybe this has already been brought up, but what happens if you win and don't show up at the show after you say you will? If only the winner can pick up the tickets day of, on-site, I would say there is a good chance many folks just won't be able to swing it. I would say if you are going to be in Key West that week anyway, definitely do some research about a standby list. They have to have some sort of plan in place, but won't make it public too early to avoid even bigger crowds.

Also, some songs that have been requested probably haven't been played by JB in quite a while. A bootleg of this show would be awesome or do we see this being recorded and released in the future?
Don't know about how the tickets are going to work, but the show will be streamed on Margaritaville.TV
TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

AintMarvinGardens wrote:Maybe this has already been brought up, but what happens if you win and don't show up at the show after you say you will? If only the winner can pick up the tickets day of, on-site, I would say there is a good chance many folks just won't be able to swing it. I would say if you are going to be in Key West that week anyway, definitely do some research about a standby list. They have to have some sort of plan in place, but won't make it public too early to avoid even bigger crowds.

I have a feeling this will be recorded, and released as a live CD. It could potentially be a huge money maker, he should also design a special t-shirt which I'm sure would sell well.
dnw
Last Man Standing

Post by dnw »

Margaritaville tv (MTV) will be showing it live.

Debbie
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle

Post by FinsUp6835 »

LIPH wrote:Seriously, Kenny f'n Chesney? The fact that anyone thinks that's even remotely close to being a good idea makes me weep for humanity. Why don't we vote for Glory Days and Trippin' f'n Billies while we're at it.
That is a matter of opinion. Chesney is a great performer, and "I" enjoy his music. It probably has to do with age and your dislike for him. Chesney was huge in highschool and college for me. He has some good jams.

I'm also a huge DMB fan - so when Jimmy covered it I really enjoyed it. :)
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!

Post by FinsUp6835 »

You also hate on ZBB!

Who I also love!

And Landshark!

I still believe we can one day be friends LIpH
ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH BEST...SONG...EVER!!
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Chill the rose

Post by ScarletB »

LIPH wrote:Seriously, Kenny f'n Chesney? The fact that anyone thinks that's even remotely close to being a good idea makes me weep for humanity. Why don't we vote for Glory Days and Trippin' f'n Billies while we're at it.
Hey, you need a bathroom song right? I'm not a fan either.
GW - 7/19
Great Northern MOTM - 7/20-21
Hershey Labor Day Weekend Show - 8/29
MOTM - Oct 28
ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH BEST...SONG...EVER!!
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Chill the rose

Post by ScarletB »

The setlist has gotten MARGINALLY better - a few more older songs on there.
GW - 7/19
Great Northern MOTM - 7/20-21
Hershey Labor Day Weekend Show - 8/29
MOTM - Oct 28
Congobill
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Last Mango in Paris
Number of Concerts: 60
Favorite Boat Drink: Craft Beer

Post by Congobill »

SMLCHNG wrote:
Congobill wrote:
LIPH wrote: I can't believe Parrotheads don't have more in-depth knowledge of his catalog than to choose all the standard stuff he plays all the time.
Not everyone voting are 'hard core' Parrotheads.. :)

Clearly. I really hope that Jimmy will play some of the more interesting "non standard" choices at this show even if they aren't in the top 30. Otherwise what's the point?
Congobill
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Last Mango in Paris
Number of Concerts: 60
Favorite Boat Drink: Craft Beer

Post by Congobill »

FinsUp6835 wrote:You can now see all of the songs in their standings. Good to see 70% of my songs in the bottom 50 lol. Man, the masses just don't understand JB and what his music is all about. Yeah the big 10 are hits for a reason but my god he has so many awesome, well written songs. He really deserves better and if I win the grand prize and meet Jimmy I'm gonna tell him that he deserves better because he is arguably one of the best American song writers to touch the stage!

Well, saying Jimmy deserves better doesn't really cut it since Jimmy himself is obviously more than happy to go out and play basically the same set list year after year. He can play anything from his catalog but rarely chooses to dig too deep. Now I'm not going to say he's lazy -- hell, the man can do whatever he wants at this point in his career -- but he is in control of his set lists and they rarely change much, other than to work in some new material or a new cover song here and there. It's a continued disappointment for those of us who have been going to shows for many (many!) years and who have bought all of his albums (on vinyl, then cassette, then CD, and as digital downloads) and would like to see some more variety from the JB songbook featured in the live shows. Guess it's just not going to happen. Hell, he doesn't even divert from the standard set list when he plays the small venues (Fillmore in SF, Belly Up Tavern in San Diego, etc). And he's not going to have to do it for this show in Key West either. I expect he's breathing a sigh of relief looking at the top 30 for this show. No relearning or rehearsing older or obscure songs required.
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

FinsUp6835 wrote:
That is a matter of opinion. Chesney is a great performer, and "I" enjoy his music. It probably has to do with age and your dislike for him. Chesney was huge in highschool and college for me. He has some good jams.

I'm also a huge DMB fan - so when Jimmy covered it I really enjoyed it. :)
It has nothing to do with age and whether or not I'm a Chesney fan. I've seen him in concert and he puts on a good show but that's not the point. This is supposed to be about Jimmy Buffett, free show, Key West, small venue, 300 fans. Not about Kenny Chesney or any other musician showing up. I just don't understand the concept of going to a concert and hoping somebody else shows up. If you want to see somebody else, go to somebody else's concert. But if any other musicians do show up, I wouldn't mind seeing Amy Lee, TC Mitchell, Keith Sykes, Marshall Chapman. You know, people who actually have a connection to Buffett.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
ParrotHead67
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Who's The Blonde Stranger
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Haven't had a bad one yet
Location: Woke up dry beneath the African sky, just me and my Swiss Army Knife

Post by ParrotHead67 »

Congobill wrote:
FinsUp6835 wrote:You can now see all of the songs in their standings. Good to see 70% of my songs in the bottom 50 lol. Man, the masses just don't understand JB and what his music is all about. Yeah the big 10 are hits for a reason but my god he has so many awesome, well written songs. He really deserves better and if I win the grand prize and meet Jimmy I'm gonna tell him that he deserves better because he is arguably one of the best American song writers to touch the stage!

Well, saying Jimmy deserves better doesn't really cut it since Jimmy himself is obviously more than happy to go out and play basically the same set list year after year. He can play anything from his catalog but rarely chooses to dig too deep. Now I'm not going to say he's lazy -- hell, the man can do whatever he wants at this point in his career -- but he is in control of his set lists and they rarely change much, other than to work in some new material or a new cover song here and there. It's a continued disappointment for those of us who have been going to shows for many (many!) years and who have bought all of his albums (on vinyl, then cassette, then CD, and as digital downloads) and would like to see some more variety from the JB songbook featured in the live shows. Guess it's just not going to happen. Hell, he doesn't even divert from the standard set list when he plays the small venues (Fillmore in SF, Belly Up Tavern in San Diego, etc). And he's not going to have to do it for this show in Key West either. I expect he's breathing a sigh of relief looking at the top 30 for this show. No relearning or rehearsing older or obscure songs required.

I think there are 2 schools of thought on this. Either Jimmy is breathing a sigh of relief looking at the setlist being voted on or the setlist that is being voted on proves why Jimmy keeps playing those songs year after year.
"I gotta go where it's warm!"
BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Post by BottleofRum »

If this really "This One is For You" shouldn't there be a vote on "special guests" too? I vote option (E) NONE
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”
COPhan
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: When the Coast is Clear
Number of Concerts: 16

Post by COPhan »

If Jimmy is reading this....he is laughing his head off!
SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Post by SMLCHNG »

LIPH wrote:It has nothing to do with age and whether or not I'm a Chesney fan. I've seen him in concert and he puts on a good show but that's not the point. This is supposed to be about Jimmy Buffett, free show, Key West, small venue, 300 fans. Not about Kenny Chesney or any other musician showing up. I just don't understand the concept of going to a concert and hoping somebody else shows up. If you want to see somebody else, go to somebody else's concert. But if any other musicians do show up, I wouldn't mind seeing Amy Lee, TC Mitchell, Keith Sykes, Marshall Chapman. You know, people who actually have a connection to Buffett.
:) Yep.
SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Post by SMLCHNG »

COPhan wrote:If Jimmy is reading this....he is laughing his head off!
Because? I'm sure some posts may amuse him, but why?
TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

I'm actually surprised he's reading this , or he was jus using it as a prop, but either way nice to hear he's not doing covers. Maybe the Music will carry into this years tour. Also, makes me think , him doing this could mean the end of the road is coming (WHY NOW).

As for Chesney , big fan , the guy has tons of energy and plays and interacts with the crowd great. A lot of people think he's trying to b Buffett , but others are riding Jimmy's coat tails to success or a push in there career. Like Larry not a Huge ZBB , I respect him, and what they have done , I like some songs , but not enough to want to see him, Not a DMB fan at all.

I just hope someone from BN ( people that post) gets to see him. Odds are about 30-1( or higher depending on how many entries) to land a pair of tickets.
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!

Post by FinsUp6835 »

Congobill wrote:

I think it is clear that Jimmy plays the set that he does because it is what the masses want. He has said in many interviews that if he doesn't play the "big 8" he will get killed. Also, he has also said during many acoustic encores that he loves going back and doing these old songs. so I think it's a matter of keeping the masses happy because that is what makes him fill large venues. He is probably looking at the setlist and saying this is why we play the songs we do.

LIPH - I agree with you. This show should be about Jimmy, 300 people and key west. I doubt that Jimmy wants to share the stage with anyone that night. This is going to be a very special moment for him as well.
The show is going to be awesome - all JB songs. The hits are the hits because they are great songs. It is what it is. There a few gems in there that I am looking forward to hearing them - hopefully in person :)
The video that was posted is awesome. It shows that he obviously gives a crap enough to see what his most hardcore fan base is saying. He could easily take his money and disappear. Who streams their live shows on radio and now even on TV? It is clear that he appreciates the phan base.

Good luck to everyone. I agree with Tommy- I hope someone who posts on here gets to go. Even though many of us don't agree all the time - I do believe that this site has some of the most devoted phans around.

Fins up