Should Jimmy Cancel NC Shows?

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

bones20
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Should Jimmy Cancel NC Shows?

Post by bones20 »

In light of the NC General Assembly passing a broad discrimination law should entertainers, businesses, sporting events, etc boycott doing business in NC? It's a tough call because I'm sure that most parrotheads are in favor of equal rights for all.
The NBA is already considering pulling the 2017 All-Star game out of Charlotte. The NCAA is looking at preventing any (not just basketball) tournament games from being played in NC. Large corporations that have a presence in NC have stated they are against the legislation.
I would hate for the NC shows to be cancelled but how does Jimmy, and all of us, take a stand and show support for the LGBT community?
Brewark
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: I Love the Now
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Grog: Dutch Harbour Breeze

Re: Should Jimmy Cancel NC Shows

Post by Brewark »

No! Keep politics out of it!
Na Zdraví
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

If I were Jimmy, I would.

Jimmy, of course, can do as he wishes.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

Bucarader
If we weren't all crazy ...
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by Bucarader »

NO! Absolutely not!

My politics and Jimmy's politics are at opposite ends of the spectrum. However, I applaud Jimmy for not making his political views part of his entertainment business. It is smart for him to do so and take the high road, "live and let live."

When Jackson Browne opened for Jimmy in Austin he made a few foul references to gun ownership. He heard "crickets" and a few scattered "boo's." And Austin is the most liberal city in Texas. Point is, the day I start hearing an entertainers's politics at a show is the day I stop being a fan, regardless of my agreement or not. I don't go to concerts to hear about politics or religion.

Kudos to Jimmy for staying distant, regardless of his views. And I'm sure his fans in NC would agree.
Last edited by Bucarader on March 26, 2016 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it.
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

He made his views known at Gulf Shores with the BP crisis. He's played benefits for manatees, the environment, etc. He can do what he wants and support what he believes.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

Bucarader

Post by Bucarader »

I agree, he can and will do what he wants. And if I start hearing political banter at his concerts that will be it for us.

The Gulf Shores concert in 2010 was different. It was about getting folks to come down to the beach because the false rumor was that all beaches were covered in oil, and it simply wasn't true. But it was making people stay home. I certainly did not view his concert as political.

Also, just so you know, many people in the energy business were also appalled and upset about the BP spill. Nearly everyone in the industry has long ago adopted a "zero tolerance" and "zero accident" policy. Being upset about the spill did not equate to politics in the BP case.
bones20
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by bones20 »

I think Jimmy has expressed his personal political opinions many times over the years.
Regarding the BP oil spill. It was widely reported back in 2010. One example.

From a FoxNews.com report 07/06/2010

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/20 ... ush-spill/

Buffett, a supporter of President Barack Obama, said the roots of the spill lie with the administration of former President George Bush, which was often criticized for being too cozy with the petroleum industry.

"To me it was more about eight years of bad policy before (Obama) got there that let this happen. It was Dracula running the blood bank in terms of oil and leases," he said. "I think that has more to do with it than how the president reacted to it."
bones20
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by bones20 »

Bucarader. I don't see his concerts as political either. But he certainly makes his views known. I can't imagine only supporting those that are strictly in line with my personal views. If I did, I'd be sitting home by myself most of the time. :D
I'm glad he keeps his views to himself during the concerts, unlike some other celebrities. For example, I like Springsteen, but don't like that I have to listen to his thoughts on his political slants. And that's even if I happen to agree with him. I paid to listen to his music, not his opinions.
TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

Didn't he do a fundraiser concert for Obama in Tampa a few years ago.And , both were in Cuba the same time. I don't care what his political views are...I just want to hear his music.
Bucarader

Post by Bucarader »

bones20 wrote:Bucarader. I don't see his concerts as political either. But he certainly makes his views known. I can't imagine only supporting those that are strictly in line with my personal views. If I did, I'd be sitting home by myself most of the time. :D
I'm glad he keeps his views to himself during the concerts, unlike some other celebrities. For example, I like Springsteen, but don't like that I have to listen to his thoughts on his political slants. And that's even if I happen to agree with him. I paid to listen to his music, not his opinions.

Exactly!

And Tommy Bahama is also correct. I don't think that any of us care what Jimmy's views are, or for whom he chooses to do fundraisers. Jimmy has been very good with keeping this separate from his concerts, and I applaud him for that.
palmettopirate
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: Coast of Carolina
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: sweet tea

Post by palmettopirate »

I think he should cancel NC shows and come to SC. :D

A couple of posters already alluded to this but "most" people in show business are liberal. If we are only gonna go to concerts or movies produced by conservatives we will indeed be sitting home. I'm conservative and I get some relief by watching Last Man Standing on Friday nights.
Every day you wake up you get another chance to do it right.
fin fan
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Island
Number of Concerts: 12

Post by fin fan »

We are going for the concert, not for his political views, which I do not agree with. Everyone can be entitled to his or her own opinion. If he pulls out, we are done with his shows. We want to dance in the lawn, not discuss politics. Bruce should have picked another way to express his views. Cancelling 2 days before the show was not cool. People have to plan for these events, especially when you aren't a local. We are driving 7 hours to Charlotte. Hotel is booked. We go because we want a few hours of fun and laughter. Back out on your fans and you will lose them. I hope that doesn't happen.
I wanna go back . . .
to the island

ImageImage
CarolinaPhan
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA, Wino and I know
Number of Concerts: 8

Post by CarolinaPhan »

TommyBahama wrote:........ I don't care what his political views are...I just want to hear his music.
It is really that simple. :D :D :D
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Post by FinsUp6835 »

fin fan wrote:We are going for the concert, not for his political views, which I do not agree with. Everyone can be entitled to his or her own opinion. If he pulls out, we are done with his shows. We want to dance in the lawn, not discuss politics. Bruce should have picked another way to express his views. Cancelling 2 days before the show was not cool. People have to plan for these events, especially when you aren't a local. We are driving 7 hours to Charlotte. Hotel is booked. We go because we want a few hours of fun and laughter. Back out on your fans and you will lose them. I hope that doesn't happen.

Jimmy will play these shows. He has posted a blog on Margaritaville.com in response to these shows and "stupid" law. I believe it is the first link on the news.

Fins up!
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
tgatorglass
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Captain and The Kid
Number of Concerts: 60
Favorite Boat Drink: Captain Morgan Mojito

Post by tgatorglass »

from the Blog....Fins Up Everyone!
As a traveling musician for 40 years, I played many shows years ago, in many states where you could go to prison for 20 years for smoking a joint. It was a stupid law based on stupid assumptions. Time has fortunately reversed a lot of that way of thinking. But now another stupid law, based on stupid assumptions, has sprung up like kudzu in North Carolina, where we are scheduled to play shows next week in Raleigh and Charlotte.

North Carolina was there for me as a performer in the early days and I have always felt a loyalty to fans there that goes deep. Rightly so, a lot of people are reacting to the stupid law. I happen to believe that the majority of our fans in North Carolina feel the way I do about that law. I am lucky enough to have found a job in the business of fun. These shows were booked and sold out long before the governor signed that stupid law. I am not going to let stupidity or bigotry trump fun for my loyal fans this year. We will be playing in Raleigh and Charlotte next week.

That said, as for the future of shows in North Carolina, it would definitely depend on whether that stupid law is repealed. That is up to the good people of North Carolina and there are many, and I am confident that they will see that the right thing will be done. As Forrest said, “Stupid is as stupid does.”

Fins Up,
Jimmy Buffett
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
C4Parrothead
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40 / Someday I will / Little Miss Magic / DelaneyTalks
Number of Concerts: 36
Favorite Boat Drink: Tito’s

Post by C4Parrothead »

tgatorglass wrote:from the Blog....Fins Up Everyone!
As a traveling musician for 40 years, I played many shows years ago, in many states where you could go to prison for 20 years for smoking a joint. It was a stupid law based on stupid assumptions. Time has fortunately reversed a lot of that way of thinking. But now another stupid law, based on stupid assumptions, has sprung up like kudzu in North Carolina, where we are scheduled to play shows next week in Raleigh and Charlotte.

North Carolina was there for me as a performer in the early days and I have always felt a loyalty to fans there that goes deep. Rightly so, a lot of people are reacting to the stupid law. I happen to believe that the majority of our fans in North Carolina feel the way I do about that law. I am lucky enough to have found a job in the business of fun. These shows were booked and sold out long before the governor signed that stupid law. I am not going to let stupidity or bigotry trump fun for my loyal fans this year. We will be playing in Raleigh and Charlotte next week.

That said, as for the future of shows in North Carolina, it would definitely depend on whether that stupid law is repealed. That is up to the good people of North Carolina and there are many, and I am confident that they will see that the right thing will be done. As Forrest said, “Stupid is as stupid does.”

Fins Up,
Jimmy Buffett
THIS IS A PERFECT, AND VERY JIMMY, RESPONSE. PROUD OF OUR CAPT!

SEE YOU ON THE 23RD...FINS UP!
Someday I will.

Latest Tour Stops:
-Dublin, Ireland 9.21.19 - SOASOAS (33)
-Red Rocks 9.9.21 - Slack Tide (34)
-Raleigh 4.23.22 - Life on the Flip Side (35)
-Charlotte 4.30.22 - Life on the Flip Side (36)
msu#1
Behind Door #3

Post by msu#1 »

Bucarader wrote:NO! Absolutely not!

My politics and Jimmy's politics are at opposite ends of the spectrum. However, I applaud Jimmy for not making his political views part of his entertainment business. It is smart for him to do so and take the high road, "live and let live."

When Jackson Browne opened for Jimmy in Austin he made a few foul references to gun ownership. He heard "crickets" and a few scattered "boo's." And Austin is the most liberal city in Texas. Point is, the day I start hearing an entertainers's politics at a show is the day I stop being a fan, regardless of my agreement or not. I don't go to concerts to hear about politics or religion.

Kudos to Jimmy for staying distant, regardless of his views. And I'm sure his fans in NC would agree.
Live and let live ?????????? What????? Did you really write that. I bet you tell people that you love key west but the gays were there long before you.....

You are transparent like most "Baby Boomer" republicans,.......You yell keep politics out of it (if its against your views, ) youll b**** about the government and protecting the environment.......(until someone dumps a load of s*** in your front lawn) then you scream for someone to do something to help you.

Jimmy should do what he believes is right. If people want to b**** about it and threaten to never come to a show again........well dont let the bigoted door hit you in the ass.
Lake Erie Pirate scientist
Bucarader

Post by Bucarader »

msu#1 wrote:
Bucarader wrote:NO! Absolutely not!

Live and let live ?????????? What????? Did you really write that. I bet you tell people that you love key west but the gays were there long before you.....

You are transparent like most "Baby Boomer" republicans,.......You yell keep politics out of it (if its against your views, ) youll b**** about the government and protecting the environment.......(until someone dumps a load of s*** in your front lawn) then you scream for someone to do something to help you.

Jimmy should do what he believes is right. If people want to b**** about it and threaten to never come to a show again........well dont let the bigoted door hit you in the ass.
Do you feel better now? First of all, you don't know anything about me. Second, you shouldn't make generalizations and presume to know what you really don't know a thing about. I really don't care to further discuss my politics or my religion on this site, as they have no bearing on my enjoyment and indulgence of any and all things Jimmy Buffett; it's a fan board not a political board.

Have a drink, put on some music that you like, and chill. But don't call me out for things you really don't know anything about.
tgatorglass
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Captain and The Kid
Number of Concerts: 60
Favorite Boat Drink: Captain Morgan Mojito

Post by tgatorglass »

msu - I do believe he has done what he feels is right.
He is moving forward with concerts that were planned, sold, paid for and arrangements made well in advance of the political revision. Which he clearly stated.
I applaud him for taking a stance on his personal views, yet at the same time understanding the fans should not be held accountable for actions of others.
In closing, politics is not what the tailgating, gathering and music are all about. It is about fun, friends (old and new) and trying to push the real world away for a few hours.
My apologies if any of the above offends, see, I have my own opinions as well..
Cheers and have a great day!
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
palmettopirate
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: Coast of Carolina
Favorite Boat Drink: sweet tea

Post by palmettopirate »

The best thing to do is keep politics out of show business, period. If I had booked and paid for expensive hotel rooms I would be plenty PO'd if an entertainer ignored a contract to perform. You have to consider all of the people impacted by that; the facility, the vendors, hostelry, etc. If I can ignore an entertainers politics the entertainer should be able to ignore mine, especially if I support him/her financially. And this has nothing to do with my feelings on the issue up in NC. I'm just talking business.
Every day you wake up you get another chance to do it right.